ARTICLE: Adamson Out – that’s the cry from Burnley fans

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32237 times
Has Liked: 5253 times

ARTICLE: Adamson Out – that’s the cry from Burnley fans

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:15 pm

Going back to this date in 1972 and the biggest demonstration I've ever witnessed against a Burnley manager

See link
https://www.uptheclarets.com/adamson-ou ... rnley-fans
These 3 users liked this post: longsidepies evensteadiereddie claretfern

Cajun
Been Liked: 243 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Re: ARTICLE: Adamson Out – that’s the cry from Burnley fans

Post by Cajun » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:28 pm

That is a stark reminder of the way things were at that point in time CT. I remember as a teenager being sat in the old South Stand at B'pool that day, was living in Fleetwood with numerous friends who were Pool fans, and being totally dejected at half time. The mood was indeed very dark at that time. In contrast, I think the next visit there was the following Boxing Day when we won 2-1 on our way to being Champions - the tide had turned.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:29 pm

I regretted being an Adamson out!! Fan. It seemed a downhill journey after that...Teasdale out was pretty nasty years Later...didn't regret that though..police horses wading through people.fans having dogs set upon them by police..police heavy handed with fans. All on Brunshaw road.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:46 pm

I don't mind admitting that I was involved that day at Blackpool, peacefully of course. We'd been so used to the good days in the top flight and it was difficult to accept that suddenly we were struggling a division below. It had all gone wrong since Adamson had replaced Potts two years earlier. That was horrendous at Blackpool though after another shocking performance.

Adamson had his disciples - the Waldrons and Fletchers of this world - but also had plenty of enemies within Turf Moor from both his playing and coaching days. He was very aloof but clearly a brilliant coach. I don't think Joe Brown's presence could be undervalued eventually. Joe would definitely have been the good cop.

I was going to leave this article for another couple of years by which time it would have been the 50th anniversary, but given the current situation I thought I might just as well get it done. It's the first of a series of articles on that team of Adamson's, the rest will appear from July onwards as we look forward to what was a fantastic season.

CleggHall
Been Liked: 838 times
Has Liked: 1044 times

Post by CleggHall » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:53 pm

Adamson was clearly an enigma and, like Lord, supporters will have divided views on him. Whatever, he was an outstanding contributor to the club's success, its achievements and history. Certainly in the top 10 and possibly the top 3?

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:58 pm

CleggHall wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:53 pm
Adamson was clearly an enigma and, like Lord, supporters will have divided views on him. Whatever, he was an outstanding contributor to the club's success, its achievements and history. Certainly in the top 10 and possibly the top 3?
He was, but a lot of people found him to be a very unpleasant man.

beeholeclaret
Been Liked: 287 times
Has Liked: 407 times

Post by beeholeclaret » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:26 pm

Good article CT, thanks. I can remember the events of that day very clearly. We had been spending Easter at our grandma's home in Poulton-le-Fylde so it was a quick bus journey to Talbot Road and a walk out to Bloomfield Road with my younger brother to join thousands of fellow Clarets on the Kop end. We found our way right to the front behind the goals where the terracing was below the pitch level and therefore we had a worm's eye view of the action and of course all 6 goals catapulted into the bulging net a couple of feet away. Dyson was powerful in the air that day and had a field day as his colleagues ripped Burnley to shreds. Mickey Burns, Tony Green, Tommy Hutchison and Alan Suddick were outstanding and we never got near them in the first half. I was too young to understand the hostility against Adamson from a lot of the crowd and as time went on I became a big fan of his. I think a lot of people had enjoyed the success of Harry Potts and the previous ten to fifteen years of achievement so I suppose resentment at that time was understandable. We were on the verge of 3 years which provided the best football that I have ever seen from a Burnley team and as it occured at that time of my life I have never forgotten those good times. I look forward to your coverage of the 1972-73 season and beyond.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1678 times
Has Liked: 2513 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:57 pm

I was also outside the ground after the match by the team bus. Very hostile and angry. The 4-2 scoreline flattered us(a bit like the one at Gigg Lane in Dec. 1999). Just a few days off being 20 I was following a lot of the season from London where I was a student but I was brought up to date on my return to East Lancs for Easter. I imagine a lot of people expected an immediate return to the first division; I think I did because that's all I'd ever seen. I imagine today that crowd would have been moved on but the 70's was a different 'animal' and as usual at Blackpool we had a healthy away following. Without checking the records I'm trying to recall that home victory v Charlton wondering how the scoring went and if we had a 'nervous' time where they pulled a goal back. I'll have to go and check. Interesting that Frank Casper bagged two because 8 months later he did it again in front of an estimated 12,000 travelling fans in a completely different mood.

ashtonlongsider
Been Liked: 493 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ashtonlongsider » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:14 pm

Excellent article. I was at the game and the atmosphere was toxic. Think at that time we felt we had a divine right to be in the top flight and frustrations got the better of some. I don't think Adamson did himself any favours with his 'Team of the Seventies' statement. It certainly put him under more pressure. That said I personally was surprised at the amount of stick he was getting, especially given his status. We were a team in transition. As I recall a bit of a roller coaster. We certainly looked good going forward but we had problems at the back. Didn't help with the goalkeeping situation until Stevenson came along and I think it took him a while to settle. Anyhow Adamson got a chance to answer his critics as we finished the season in a respectable position and the season after was possibly my favourite in all the time I've watched the Clarets.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1468 times
Has Liked: 1839 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:31 pm

I was always pro Adamson but definately later on a very much Teasdale out fan
Teasdales reluctance to welcome new board members and their funds caused us seasons of darkness only lit up by Barry Kilbys tenure

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:48 pm

I honestly can't remember the game away at Blackpool, although I was was most certainly their as a 12 year old.

What I do remember is the demonstration, when our fans invaded the cricket field stand and ran through the concourse after the match, demanding Adamsons head

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 690 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Post by Nonayforever » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:11 pm

I remember the season we went down quite well and thought we suffered quite a lot of bad luck that season.
I seem to recall incidents such as Tony Waiters taking 3 or maybe 4 steps with the ball and getting a penalty awarded against us ( which they scored ) and I clearly remember Dave Thomas missing a penalty.
I remember thinking during the latter part of the season that if this bad luck continues we will go down, and down we did go.

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:22 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:58 pm
He was, but a lot of people found him to be a very unpleasant man.
My mate used to go round to his house for autographs signing and Jimmy always said not you again. Eventually he banned him from calling .. :D

Stan Tastic
Been Liked: 444 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Post by Stan Tastic » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:55 pm

I presume I was there that day because I was at the next away game at Sunderland when they came back from 3-1 down to beat us 4-3. The Sunderland fans were giving their team plenty of abuse until they turned it round.

I cant remember the Blackpool game but clearly remember seeing us beat them 2-1 the season after.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:55 am

Stan Tastic wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:55 pm
I presume I was there that day because I was at the next away game at Sunderland when they came back from 3-1 down to beat us 4-3. The Sunderland fans were giving their team plenty of abuse until they turned it round.

I cant remember the Blackpool game but clearly remember seeing us beat them 2-1 the season after.
Sunderland fans always give their teams plenty of abuse - they make Netflix series out of it :D

They were 5th at the time in the league but only two points behind Birmingham who eventually went up with Norwich. Looked as though Millwall would go up at the time. Sunderland finished 5th that season and we were 7th.

Silkyskills1

Post by Silkyskills1 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:42 am

Nonayforever wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:11 pm
I remember the season we went down quite well and thought we suffered quite a lot of bad luck that season.
I seem to recall incidents such as Tony Waiters taking 3 or maybe 4 steps with the ball and getting a penalty awarded against us ( which they scored ) and I clearly remember Dave Thomas missing a penalty.
I remember thinking during the latter part of the season that if this bad luck continues we will go down, and down we did go.
Tony Waiters 'overstepped' in the first home game of the season v Liverpool from which they scored a free kick. The penalty miss by Dave Thomas was down at the Beehole End just before Christmas against Man City, a game we lost 0-4. It was one to equal that of Gifton-Williams miss v Barnsley that many on here recall. High and wide would be a kind description.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:48 am

Silkyskills1 wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:42 am
Tony Waiters 'overstepped' in the first home game of the season v Liverpool from which they scored a free kick. The penalty miss by Dave Thomas was down at the Beehole End just before Christmas against Man City, a game we lost 0-4. It was one to equal that of Gifton-Williams miss v Barnsley that many on here recall. High and wide would be a kind description.
I think Thomas might have missed one at the end of a game that cost us a point earlier in the season - Gifton's was against Coventry but we won 4-0 in any case. They still haven't found the ball from Gifton's, believed to be up there somewhere with Brendan Flood's blimp.

Silkyskills1

Post by Silkyskills1 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:50 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:48 am
I think Thomas might have missed one at the end of a game that cost us a point earlier in the season - Gifton's was against Coventry but we won 4-0 in any case. They still haven't found the ball from Gifton's, believed to be up there somewhere with Brendan Flood's blimp.
Apologies. Was it Barnsley Gifton got his hat-trick against?

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:50 am

I’ve been unlucky enough to see us lose twice, 4-3, at Roker after being 3-1 up.
A mate of mine was on Chesterfield when the fans were after Arthur Cox head. Same chant as for Dicks.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:51 am

Silkyskills1 wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:50 am
Apologies. Was it Barnsley Gifton got his hat-trick against?
It was - when we came back from 2-0 down to win 4-2

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:09 am

With Bob Lord being the chairman how much say did managers like Adamson have when it came to buying and selling players?

depechedingle
Been Liked: 176 times
Has Liked: 276 times

Post by depechedingle » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:06 pm

A piece of history I wasn't aware of, being born in 1973.

Always believed Adamson was universally popular.

claretblue
Been Liked: 1831 times
Has Liked: 961 times

Post by claretblue » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:32 pm

Spijed wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:09 am
With Bob Lord being the chairman how much say did managers like Adamson have when it came to buying and selling players?
not a lot...at least regarding selling players.

Harry Potts cried when having to tell Ralph Coates he was being sold to Spurs!

ClaretCliff
Been Liked: 187 times
Has Liked: 135 times

Post by ClaretCliff » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:44 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:42 am
I think the number of steps rule for a keeper had just been brought in and didn’t we bring Tony Waiters out of semi-retirement to keep for us? I seem to remember the widespread view that he wasn’t aware of the new rules .

Silkyskills1

Post by Silkyskills1 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:01 pm

ClaretCliff wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:44 pm
I think the number of steps rule for a keeper had just been brought in and didn’t we bring Tony Waiters out of semi-retirement to keep for us? I seem to remember the widespread view that he wasn’t aware of the new rules .
I remember it exactly that same way.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:29 pm

ClaretCliff wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:44 pm
We brought Waiters in to coach but he then had to play because Mellor got his injury. The rule hadn’t just come in but Waiters hadn’t played previously under the new role.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:32 pm

depechedingle wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:06 pm
A piece of history I wasn't aware of, being born in 1973.

Always believed Adamson was universally popular.
Adamson was far from universally popular to be honest but he never helped himself with the way he spoke, particularly about the fans.

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 690 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Post by Nonayforever » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:00 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:48 am
If my memory is right. I think Dave missed against QPR.
He was shooting towards the Cricket field end.
I used to have a season ticket in there, near the directors box, my cousin was Jane Adamsons best friend and we used to go to the box to chat to them before the game kicked off.

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2742 times
Has Liked: 4314 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:04 pm

I didnt realise Waiters had played for England