Furlough

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
LongSider75
Been Liked: 46 times

Furlough

Post by LongSider75 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:28 pm

If we decide to go down the same route as some other prem clubs and use the furlough system to pay non playing staff wages, I would have to question the integrity of our great football club. Tripps has just taken a 70% pay cut to help out people who are in crisis at the moment. We as fans can do our bit by throwing a fiver in a bucket(if you can afford it) but surely every prem /championship player can do thier bit and share thier wealth. Please do not let the lower leagues disappear through greed. Big shout to the people who can't isolate and are keeping us all fed, healthy and safe.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

Little_britton
Been Liked: 19 times

Re: Furlough

Post by Little_britton » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:56 pm

Agree to an extent however I'm fairly sure our lads wages are topped up considerably by win bonuses etc so might not be fair to compare them to other players at other clubs.

A 20% cut of their basic might mean its 50% of what they normally receive

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:08 pm

Never heard the word from starting work to retiring....along with Ramping up its gotta be the newest Buzzword... Buzzword??

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:20 pm

This is the current update on what PL clubs are doing,there's some notable absences from the 20.

The coronavirus outbreak has cleared the English football calendar until at least 30 April, leaving clubs up and down the country with difficult decisions to make as their cashflow dries up.

One of the toughest decisions is what to do about paying players and non-playing staff.

The Professional Footballers' Association has written to all of its members urging them not to agree any reduction or deferral in wages until they have spoken to the union.

Politicians have condemned some Premier League clubs for furloughing non-playing staff, saying they are living in a "moral vacuum."

The Premier League, English Football League, PFA and League Managers' Association met on Wednesday and remain in discussions over "several high-profile matters, including player wages and the resumption of the 2019-20 season."

Here is a round-up of what Premier League clubs have announced regarding pay so far...

Arsenal

The Gunners will pay all their casual workers to the end of April, with a promise to review the situation if the football authorities delay the resumption of the season further.

Bournemouth

Bournemouth are using the government’s furlough scheme, placing “a number of staff” on paid leave while public funds cover 80% of their wages up to £2,500 a month. Bournemouth will top-up the rest to ensure none of their staff lose out financially.

Manager Eddie Howe, assistant boss Jason Tindall, chief executive Neill Blake and technical director Richard Hughes have also taken "significant" voluntary pay cuts amid the crisis.

Brighton

Brighton head coach Graham Potter, deputy chairman and chief executive Paul Barber and technical director Dan Ashworth have each taken a significant voluntary pay cut for the next three months.

Barber has written to staff to warn that there “may be rougher seas ahead” but reassured them that “all our people, and their families, remain our priority” and has said the club have not made a decision on furloughing yet.

Burnley

Burnley have promised to continue to pay all matchday and non-matchday casual staff during the current shutdown.

Crystal Palace

Chairman Steve Parish promised on 18 March that all employees will receive full pay during the coronavirus outbreak and that matchday staff would not lose out as a result of the suspension of the season.

Everton

Everton have said they are “committed to ensuring that nobody engaged by the club is disadvantaged financially at this challenging time”, guaranteeing payments to casual workers.

Newcastle

Newcastle United were the first Premier League club to place their non-playing staff on temporary leave.

Managing director Lee Charnley instructed club employees that they will still be fully paid, but that they should apply to the government to subsidise 80% of their pay packet.

Norwich

Norwich have made use of the government’s job retention scheme, with the club topping up the 80% pay so that staff will receive their full salary.

The club have also donated over £200,000 to help those in need in Norfolk, made up of the playing squad, coaching staff and executive team donating a percentage of their salaries.

Tottenham

All 550 non-playing staff at Tottenham are taking a 20% pay cut, initially for two months.

Chairman Daniel Levy, who earned £7m last year, is one of those to give up a fifth of their earnings and has called on Premier League players to “do their bit for the football eco-system.”

The remaining clubs may have announced donations or schemes to help the local community and the NHS but have yet to publicly announced what they are doing about pay.

The pressure will only grow the longer the PL is seen to be stalling,and already eyebrows are being raised over the fact that some are taking advantage of the government's furlough scheme,now legally they're perfectly entitled to do this should they wish,but many will question the ethics of their choice.

To play devil's advocate it is ironic that politicians are accusing others of living in a "moral vacuum",i had to smile at that.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6363 times
Has Liked: 8705 times

Post by IanMcL » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:43 pm

Are there still 8 in a mile? ;)

gawthorpe_view
Been Liked: 1357 times
Has Liked: 2936 times

Post by gawthorpe_view » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:54 pm

tim_noone wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:08 pm
Never heard the word from starting work to retiring....along with Ramping up its gotta be the newest Buzzword... Buzzword??
It heard it at work in the 70's but usually in regards to someone being suspended without pay for a few days following a misdemeanor.
Last edited by gawthorpe_view on Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Barlickclaret
Been Liked: 85 times

Post by Barlickclaret » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:59 pm

Is it not a way for firms to lay people off without paying redundancy pay?

MT03ALG
Been Liked: 429 times
Has Liked: 4555 times

Post by MT03ALG » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:46 pm

As soon as I hear 'Ramping Up' I switch the TV off or switch to another channel....

Sutton-Claret
Been Liked: 378 times
Has Liked: 165 times

Post by Sutton-Claret » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:50 pm

Rather than take a paycut, and if the club can afford to carry on paying full wages, the players should give a percentage to relevant charities.

Aclaret
Been Liked: 1306 times
Has Liked: 1402 times

Post by Aclaret » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:07 pm

tim_noone wrote:
Furlough, strange word. Is it pronounced at the end like low or as in clough ?
Where's this word come from ?

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:58 pm

Barlickclaret wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:59 pm
Is it not a way for firms to lay people off without paying redundancy pay?
No, the rules on redundancy still apply to workers who have been furloughed.
Aclaret wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:07 pm
Furlough, strange word. Is it pronounced at the end like low or as in clough ?
Where's this word come from ?

Furlow is the pronunciation. It's in more common usage in America, but it's an old word.

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2293 times
Has Liked: 2166 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:10 am

tim_noone wrote:
Another word that’s doing my head in ‘unprecedented times’ Strange how certain words get on my nerves

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 654 times
Has Liked: 2894 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:56 am

Sutton-Claret wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:50 pm
Rather than take a paycut, and if the club can afford to carry on paying full wages, the players should give a percentage to relevant charities.
Why? They pay income tax like everyone else so why are football players being singled out? I don’t see a clamour for golf/tennis/ etc players to be forced to hand over part of their earnings nor tv/film/music being forced to give a % of theirs.
These 2 users liked this post: tim_noone evensteadiereddie

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:43 am

Burnley Ace wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:56 am
Why? They pay income tax like everyone else so why are football players being singled out? I don’t see a clamour for golf/tennis/ etc players to be forced to hand over part of their earnings nor tv/film/music being forced to give a % of theirs.
The mindset of people is Baffling...dictating who should do what when and where with their well earned cash.....apart from the Philip Green and Branson types who Dont give a Fcuk about anybody. Leave footballers and the like alone please.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:45 am

Burnley Ace wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:56 am
Golf and Tennis stars earn their wages through prize money. If events get cancelled they will be earning a lot less anyway. Same to some extent with TV/Film/Music as a lot of their work will get cancelled and so they will lose money out of the crisis naturally

I think footballers are focused on because of its popularity but also because how the players are seen to represent their community. Fans spend a lot of time effort and money following the same players around and will do anything for their club. As a result there is a natural feeling that football starts of the top teams at a time like this should give something back and can easily afford to forgo a bit of their income for a short period

Just to be clear Im not saying whether the above is right or wrong but just answering your questions as to why football players and why not the other people you mention.

Personally I dont think footballers should be expected/forced to have to do something but I'll be disappointed if our first team squad dont do anything because if I was in their position earning their kind of money I certainly would be happy to take a pay cut

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:48 am

Q: So, how long have you been Furloughed?
A: 220 yds, Miss.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3148 times
Has Liked: 10237 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:56 am

"if I was in their position earning their kind of money I certainly would be happy to take a pay cut" - most people would but it would be your decision to ccept that, it shouldn't be forced on you.
Had to laugh at Matt Hancock, of all people, preaching about others taking pay cuts.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:58 am

evensteadiereddie wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:56 am
"if I was in their position earning their kind of money I certainly would be happy to take a pay cut" - most people would but it would be your decision to ccept that, it shouldn't be forced on you.
Thats exactly what I said in my post. You could have just liked it rather than repeating it like I had said something different

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:59 am

Lord Beamish wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:48 am
Q: So, how long have you been Furloughed?
A: 220 yds, Miss.
Dont make it any more difficult for me please. :?

Hapag Lloyd
Been Liked: 286 times
Has Liked: 427 times

Post by Hapag Lloyd » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:00 am

evensteadiereddie wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:56 am
Had to laugh at Matt Hancock, of all people, preaching about others taking pay cuts.
*accept*

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:00 am

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:58 am
Thats exactly what I said in my post. You could have just liked it rather than repeating it like I had said something different
:lol: :lol: