Fear of Social Gatherings - The Future

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Healeywoodclaret
Been Liked: 259 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Fear of Social Gatherings - The Future

Post by Healeywoodclaret » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:35 pm

The seed of Fear has been planted. How is this going to affect our National Game. We all know economically Covid-19 will bring the World Economy to its knees but will football fans want to sit together in close proximity in the future?

martin_p
Been Liked: 3764 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Re: Fear of Social Gatherings - The Future

Post by martin_p » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:37 pm

Yes

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5521 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:41 pm

No. I'm going to start supporting Blackburn, no danger there.
These 2 users liked this post: Volvoclaret blackburnturfite

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2590 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:46 pm

Healeywoodclaret wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:35 pm
The seed of Fear has been planted. How is this going to affect our National Game. We all know economically Covid-19 will bring the World Economy to its knees but will football fans want to sit together in close proximity in the future?
Give it 6 months and no one will give it a second thought. We were all jetting off on hols not long after 9/11. Life moves on.

Conroy92
Been Liked: 497 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by Conroy92 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:48 pm

I have heard one or two people say "I won't shake hands ever again..."

Some people will not just revert back and this will change there lives, Probabaly the same people who are avoiding corona beer.

The rest of us will go back to normality and continue with good hygiene as we have always done or not in some cases ;)

KateR
Been Liked: 1018 times
Has Liked: 6157 times

Post by KateR » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:00 pm

vast majority will go back to normal and many will party harder, they'll get the idea it's a short life and you might as well enjoy it as much as you can. However you might find many will change some old habits, such as washing hands more but in the end it will be pretty much business as usual in my opinion for individuals
These 2 users liked this post: evensteadiereddie tiger76

No Ney Never
Been Liked: 894 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by No Ney Never » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:11 pm

Healeywoodclaret wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:35 pm
No. Many will want safe standing being introduced far more quickly than currently seems to be happening. Far too many are not enjoying the game in a seated position, it's time this changed.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:27 pm

Out of sight out of danger will be the safest policy for some people, catching the virus & living a good life doesn’t have to go together. You can avoid festivals, large gatherings etc & in some ways still be happy with the knowledge you’ve minimised the exposure & be healthier not just from the virus but a host of other transmissible diseases as well, maybe natures trying to tell us something.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32242 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:29 pm

No Ney Never wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:11 pm
No. Many will want safe standing being introduced far more quickly than currently seems to be happening. Far too many are not enjoying the game in a seated position, it's time this changed.
It was happening a lot quicker than you might be thinking.

No Ney Never

Post by No Ney Never » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:33 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:29 pm
It was happening a lot quicker than you might be thinking.
Hope so, it could be one of the selling points that get people back who may otherwise no longer bother.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32242 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:34 pm

No Ney Never wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:33 pm
Hope so, it could be one of the selling points that get people back who may otherwise no longer bother.
Legislation takes time but there would have been trials in 2020/21 in the Premier League had things been able to continue normally.

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1823 times
Has Liked: 3952 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:07 pm

As soon as cinemas and theatres reopen I expect them to be busier than for sometime, (and I don't mean during the lockdown I mean the past few years).

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:26 pm

Supermarkets will be empty as people use up the vast amounts of stuff they have in reserve.
This user liked this post: paulatky

paulatky
Been Liked: 220 times
Has Liked: 772 times

Post by paulatky » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:59 pm

The real issue will be how much spare money people will have.
25+ % unemployment and those working heavily taxed and millions in negative equity.

Chuckypad
Been Liked: 146 times
Has Liked: 274 times

Post by Chuckypad » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:01 pm

paulatky wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:59 pm
25+ % unemployment and those working heavily taxed and millions in negative equity.
You can always rely on paulatky to bring an air of optimism to threads regarding Cornavirus
These 4 users liked this post: thatdberight tiger76 Grumps FactualFrank

Dy1geo
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 62 times

Post by Dy1geo » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:02 pm

Until there is a vaccine I can see a lot of people put off going to large gatherings especially if there are still instances of the virus still going around.
This user liked this post: paulatky

KateR

Post by KateR » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:12 pm

well yes, there are many things that are going to have an affect on how people behave in the future such as the economy, than again definition of future will play a role in that. In my original post I was not thinking about the remainder of 2020 but more the emergence from winter of 2021, say a year from now, 2022 and beyond is being modelled. Most companies and some of the top modelling companies, that do this in the Oil & Gas world, are putting disclaimers on modelling past 2021 with a big caveat on what happens between Russia and OPEC+ during the remainder of 2020.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:17 pm

paulatky wrote:
I take the stance that if you cant save money now you'll never have any spare money.
These 2 users liked this post: KateR Bfcboyo

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:33 pm

More people will just get by by taking tranquillisers & closing the curtains, if it's necessary to go out people will, but some attitudes will be I can't be ars*d what's the point, work besides.

KateR

Post by KateR » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:36 pm

I thought this was interesting:

Whilst much of the time we focus on sterling and its shortcomings, as discussed in yesterday’s update; as always, it is vitally important to always consider the other side of the coin when discussing currency pairs. The euro, for example, is now at two-week lows against the pound and is well on track to forfeit over half of its coronavirus gains on its current trajectory. The reasons why, however, stem not only from the growing number of cases within mainland Europe but also in its collective inability to make decisive decisions quickly.

The key issue that is dragging the euro down against most of its peers, including the pound, dollar and Japanese yen, is that of quick cash distribution for all of its members from all of its members. The idea of a “Corona Bond” would entail the pooling of risk into an EU-wide bond sold to release billions of euros to the beleaguered member’s economies – much like the huge programmes of bond purchasing by the Bank of England or the Federal Bank in the USA. Sadly for the EU, the idea has not only been savaged by eurosceptic MEP’s but, more interestingly, the governments of more advanced EU economies, who dislike the shared debt approach.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:46 pm

KateR wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:36 pm
I thought this was interesting:

Whilst much of the time we focus on sterling and its shortcomings, as discussed in yesterday’s update; as always, it is vitally important to always consider the other side of the coin when discussing currency pairs. The euro, for example, is now at two-week lows against the pound and is well on track to forfeit over half of its coronavirus gains on its current trajectory. The reasons why, however, stem not only from the growing number of cases within mainland Europe but also in its collective inability to make decisive decisions quickly.

The key issue that is dragging the euro down against most of its peers, including the pound, dollar and Japanese yen, is that of quick cash distribution for all of its members from all of its members. The idea of a “Corona Bond” would entail the pooling of risk into an EU-wide bond sold to release billions of euros to the beleaguered member’s economies – much like the huge programmes of bond purchasing by the Bank of England or the Federal Bank in the USA. Sadly for the EU, the idea has not only been savaged by eurosceptic MEP’s but, more interestingly, the governments of more advanced EU economies, who dislike the shared debt approach.
Economies recover very quickly when there are plenty of cheap commodities to be had.

paulatky

Post by paulatky » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:57 pm

tim_noone wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:17 pm
I take the stance that if you cant save money now you'll never have any spare money.
Tell that to people who have lost their jobs or have been furloughed or put on reduced pay.

Do you live in the real world
This user liked this post: Healeywoodclaret

paulatky

Post by paulatky » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:00 pm

Chuckypad wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:01 pm
You can always rely on paulatky to bring an air of optimism to threads regarding Cornavirus
Its called realism.

Why would I post crap

Look at the stick I got 3 weeks ago when I said we the UK was just 2 weeks behind Italy.
Everyone is saying that now.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:07 pm

As soon as restrictions are lifted the vast majority of people will just crack on as normal. Probably some elderly people and those with underlying conditions will be a bit more cautious.

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:16 pm

paulatky wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:57 pm
Tell that to people who have lost their jobs or have been furloughed or put on reduced pay.

Do you live in the real world
At the moment that's the reality.....or realism has you put it. I don't have to tell it to anybody. I'm not untouched by the scenario btw. You made a statement...I replied.

KateR

Post by KateR » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:17 pm

Spijed wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:46 pm
Economies recover very quickly when there are plenty of cheap commodities to be had.
Really?

When you go into recession you never recover quickly, maybe it's just our definition quickly, plus am not sure what cheap commodities you might be referring, is this a reference to the commodities market and shares. Or maybe you think there will not be a recession coming out of the virus phase but would appreciate more clarity on what you are saying and why, since you are at odds with some companies that I know and are greatly admired for predicting this kind of stuff.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:18 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:07 pm
As soon as restrictions are lifted the vast majority of people will just crack on as normal. Probably some elderly people and those with underlying conditions will be a bit more cautious.
True couldn't agree more, we will start counting again, we'll be undoing our earlier efforts to some degree, or we could sit tight for longer wait until the vaccine & potentially save thousands of lives, I think the vaccine will be sooner than some of us think with recent developments.

KateR

Post by KateR » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:21 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
I certainly don't believe this for a second, of course some will but many people wont, many businesses are not going to recover from this, many people will remain out of work for some considerable time (months) and this will be a drain on there finance and families. If you mean when they are financially back to normal they will crack on as normal, then I would agree with that.
Last edited by KateR on Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KateR

Post by KateR » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:26 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:18 pm
True couldn't agree more, we will start counting again, we'll be undoing our earlier efforts to some degree, or we could sit tight for longer wait until the vaccine & potentially save thousands of lives, I think the vaccine will be sooner than some of us think with recent developments.
It's a lottery when a vaccine is available but for them to scale up to provide to the masses it wont be this year in my opinion. The threat is still there that we will see an upturn in cases in October/November and through winter, I don't think you will have a vaccine ready by then, hence my comment about which future, it's not next month I would think everyone agrees. Therefore I personally am discounting 2020 in terms of recovery but sincerely hope I'm wrong.

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:28 pm

KateR wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:17 pm
Really?

When you go into recession you never recover quickly, maybe it's just our definition quickly, plus am not sure what cheap commodities you might be referring, is this a reference to the commodities market and shares. Or maybe you think there will not be a recession coming out of the virus phase but would appreciate more clarity on what you are saying and why, since you are at odds with some companies that I know and are greatly admired for predicting this kind of stuff.
The way I read that post is maybe there'll be a lot of cheap motors out there ..2nd cars etc.those that have saved wisely will be in a position to bag a bargain.im not talking commodities such as gold silver btw.but theres always winners and losers sadly in times of crisis
This user liked this post: KateR

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:36 pm

KateR wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:26 pm
It's a lottery when a vaccine is available but for them to scale up to provide to the masses it wont be this year in my opinion. The threat is still there that we will see an upturn in cases in October/November and through winter, I don't think you will have a vaccine ready by then, hence my comment about which future, it's not next month I would think everyone agrees. Therefore I personally am discounting 2020 in terms of recovery but sincerely hope I'm wrong.
I just don't see the NHS coping especially in winter, this as come at the best possible time really approaching the warmer weather in the best possible sense, I think the vaccine will be fast tracked through with cutting some corners & be available this year maybe not to the masses but in some shape & form it will be ready, bear in mind testing as already begun, I'm quite impressed with Australia how they seem to be engaging with the process.

KateR

Post by KateR » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:58 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:36 pm
I just don't see the NHS coping especially in winter, this as come at the best possible time really approaching the warmer weather in the best possible sense, I think the vaccine will be fast tracked through with cutting some corners & be available this year maybe not to the masses but in some shape & form it will be ready, bear in mind testing as already begun, I'm quite impressed with Australia how they seem to be engaging with the process.
am impressed by everyone who is doing there best to overcome this horrid virus and the economic issues of now and the near future (yes I know mistakes have happened, in every country but I will assume no one deliberately made these mistakes to harm anyone)

Am singularly unimpressed by those playing the blame game and trying to score points.

We will soon see if seasonal or indeed even faster if there will be a secondary wave, which I am praying will not happen.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:02 pm

KateR wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:21 pm
I certainly don't believe this for a second, of course some will but many people wont, many businesses are not going to recover from this, many people will remain out of work for some considerable time (months) and this will be a drain on there finance and families. If you mean when they are financially back to normal they will crack on as normal, then I would agree with that.
I was referring more to things like going to the pub/social occasions. I accept a lot of people will lose their jobs and have to tighten their belts.

paulatky

Post by paulatky » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:10 pm

KateR wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:58 pm
am impressed by everyone who is doing there best to overcome this horrid virus and the economic issues of now and the near future (yes I know mistakes have happened, in every country but I will assume no one deliberately made these mistakes to harm anyone)

Am singularly unimpressed by those playing the blame game and trying to score points.

We will soon see if seasonal or indeed even faster if there will be a secondary wave, which I am praying will not happen.
Almost certain there will be a 2nd and 3rd wave as lockdown restrictions are gradually lifted until a vaccine is found.
I think a number of older and vulnerable will self isolate until they have either had it or been vaccinated

Healeywoodclaret

Post by Healeywoodclaret » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:10 pm

NottsClaret wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:46 pm
Give it 6 months and no one will give it a second thought. We were all jetting off on hols not long after 9/11. Life moves on.
Honestly if you think things will things will go back to normal quickly you are deluded. Small businesses will never come back from this. Suicide rates will go through the roof when this is all over. And do you think this virus came about naturally? If not what's coming next?

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:13 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:02 pm
I was referring more to things like going to the pub/social occasions. I accept a lot of people will lose their jobs and have to tighten their belts.
I’m not sure that many people would lose their jobs, the whole idea of furloughing is meant to be job retention so I was always under the impression when we get back to work business as normal, but I discovered the other day when furloughed you are not guaranteed your job back so it does make you wonder.

Healeywoodclaret

Post by Healeywoodclaret » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:19 pm

paulatky wrote:
I think we will see some hardship. Hopefully it will bring about a total overhaul of the Benefits System. Everyone is wondering where all the money is coming from paying wages of those furloughed, paying for the Nightingale Hospitals.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:25 pm

Things will eventually return to normal, it usually does after any big disaster etc.
This user liked this post: Jakubclaret

Healeywoodclaret

Post by Healeywoodclaret » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:25 pm

jrgbfc wrote:

Deluded

No Ney Never

Post by No Ney Never » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:27 pm

There are future generations that are going to grow up wondering why we're acting like we do. Well, once upon a time......

Healeywoodclaret

Post by Healeywoodclaret » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:31 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:18 pm

Not soon enough for people who have sunk their life savings into a business or young couples who have bought new builds in the last couple of years and find their homes are worth substantially less than they paid for them.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:36 pm

Healeywoodclaret wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:31 pm
Not soon enough for people who have sunk their life savings into a business or young couples who have bought new builds in the last couple of years and find their homes are worth substantially less than they paid for them.
Everything at the moment is absolutely f***ed up, as the the other poster hinted, it’ll take time to settle down this is a major thing that’s happened, my pension pot is going down like a lead balloon, as well as other people experiencing problems, young, middle aged, old, most of us are feeling it in some way.

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:55 pm

A lot of young children will grow up being traumatised by these events. Before this they would have been happy-go-lucky while living in what they thought was a safe and certain world. Now that reassurance has gone and it will be lost for a lifetime.

Many will suffer with mental health problems. This is a game changer on so many levels and I'm not even talking about the unfortunate fatalities and the world economy. Even the Arts/film and music will be influenced by the pandemic. Optimism will have been replaced by deep pessimism.

Hope I'm so very wrong.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:07 pm

Billy Balfour wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:55 pm
A lot of young children will grow up being traumatised by these events. Before this they would have been happy-go-lucky while living in what they thought was a safe and certain world. Now that reassurance has gone and it will be lost for a lifetime.

Many will suffer with mental health problems. This is a game changer on so many levels and I'm not even talking about the unfortunate fatalities and the world economy. Even the Arts/film and music will be influenced by the pandemic. Optimism will have been replaced by deep pessimism.

Hope I'm so very wrong.
It's a massive leap to reach a conclusion from children being safely indoors avoiding dangerous infections & later on in life developing mental health problems, it's more likely young children would be more traumatised with losing grandparents earlier than expected.

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:16 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:07 pm
It's a massive leap to reach a conclusion from children being safely indoors avoiding dangerous infections & later on in life developing mental health problems, it's more likely young children would be more traumatised with losing grandparents earlier than expected.
Maybe I didn't make myself clear, however, it's the whole thing including any bereavements. They've been taken out of school. Stopped from playing out with their friends and seeing their grandparents. They pick up on what what adults say to each other and catch stuff on the news. All this will have an impact. Anyway, I've said my bit and I've nothing further to add.

No Ney Never

Post by No Ney Never » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:16 pm

Billy Balfour wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:55 pm

Hope I'm so very wrong.
There'll be nothing more traumatic than a Hollywood film about how America saved the world from Coronavirus.....as usual.

KateR

Post by KateR » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:22 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:13 pm
I’m not sure that many people would lose their jobs, the whole idea of furloughing is meant to be job retention so I was always under the impression when we get back to work business as normal, but I discovered the other day when furloughed you are not guaranteed your job back so it does make you wonder.
Jakub,
I think that's a very insular view and probably of the UK only, maybe, not sure. In two weeks alone the USA has added 10 million to the unemployment list, start adding Italy & Spain, France to those lists and many many others and it's a huge number of jobless If the US goes into recession then most of the world will follow and that will also hurt China, don't think we can look at a recession in isolation, at present the modeling for what is know today shows a very deep V beyond that of 2008 and also past that of 1987 so there is a real threat we can not dismiss.

KateR

Post by KateR » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:28 pm

Billy Balfour wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:16 pm
Maybe I didn't make myself clear, however, it's the whole thing including any bereavements. They've been taken out of school. Stopped from playing out with their friends and seeing their grandparents. They pick up on what what adults say to each other and catch stuff on the news. All this will have an impact. Anyway, I've said my bit and I've nothing further to add.
It was interesting to hear a leading medical guy say on the news that China has just reported a massive spike in mental illness to that previously experienced before the virus. Now have see no numbers and have no idea in what they call a massive spike, but if true and there is a spike and given what they did and what other countries are going through, perhaps there is some truth in it is to be expected. However, in my own mind and having video discussions with my grandchildren, I also don't expect children to be that affected with this but it could.
Last edited by KateR on Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:29 pm

KateR wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:22 pm
Jakub,
I think that's a very insular view and probably of the UK only, maybe, not sure. In two weeks alone the USA has added 10 million to the unemployment list, start adding Italy & Spain, France to those lists and many many others and it's a huge number of jobless If the US goes into recession then most of the world will follow and that will also hurt China, don't think we can look at a recession in isolation, at present the modeling for what is know today shows a very deep V beyond that of 2008 and also past that of 1987 so there is a real threat we can not dismiss.
What will be will be, it'll sort itself out 1 way or the other. I'm not too overly concerned I've been in similar situations & managed. People will lose jobs & people will find jobs, it's a dog eat dog world the survival of the fittest will get thru.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:06 pm

One of the changes I’m praying for is less British goods being made in the far East purely on cost. It’s this that has spread this virus so rapidly. Business men back and forward out there trading bugs.
Build British, buy British will be needed to get the country through the economic shitstorm ahead.
This user liked this post: Healeywoodclaret