Wan-Bissaka vs McNeil With Rio Ferdinand

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
nyclaret
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 163 times

Wan-Bissaka vs McNeil With Rio Ferdinand

Post by nyclaret » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:35 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hesUKwDsPQY
Our boy Dwight interviewed by Rio Ferdinand from his family home. Interesting watch!

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Re: Wan-Bissaka vs McNeil With Rio Ferdinand

Post by tim_noone » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:46 pm

Can't stand Ferdinand's juvenile street talk Sh!t bro .....grow up you plank.

Spiral
Been Liked: 2522 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Spiral » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:53 am

tim_noone wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:46 pm
Can't stand Ferdinand's juvenile street talk Sh!t bro .....grow up you plank.
Cannot express how much I absolutely do not want to make this thread political, tim, but that is respectability politics right there. Let me digress. People who speak with our accent (assuming you're from the north yourself) are often denied a kind of respect and consideration of viewpoint which is afforded without condition to a posh arsehole saying, in practical terms, the exact same thing in a fashion which is considered by our culture to be less coarse. A grand keynote speech, for instance, would be better received if delivered in a southern accent, with all the gesture and intonation expected by a British public conditioned to feel more comfortable being spoken down to by posh folks, than if word-for-word delivered in a northern, Scottish or Welsh accent. Extreme example: some toffee nosed posh boy with his classics degree invoking Cicero to make someone feel small, when flat-out calling someone a f.ucking w@nker would have had the same practical effect. Generally speaking, one line of attack might considered an intelligent polemic, the other a vulgar slur. But the end result is the same. One arsehole feels big, the other is made to feel small.

The chauvinism and snobbery you're showing towards Ferdinand's vernacular is but a different flavour of the brand of snobbery which comparatively presses down folk with our accent and denies them the kind of opportunities in life that more 'polished' people are granted, even if those with more polish are (as they sometimes turn out to be) morons, psychopaths and chancers. I know Ferdinand has done well for himself and he almost certainly won't care for your opinion, or mine, or anyone's for that matter, but in general, at the risk of sounding like an overbearingly didactic preacher, you should consider if your behaviour and attitudes are entrenching a type of classist snobbery. Sure, he talks differently to us, but by saying 'STOP', or expressing discontent or annoyance tantamount to it, you're telling him to get in a box - the same kind of box we're effectively told to get into when we're told we're not good enough because we say 'reyt' and 'nowt'. We're given patronising platitudes like "they're honest" and "they're nice and friendly up north", "salt of the earth". But deviate from the stereotype for just one second any you're an aggressive, uncultured pleb, or even a chav. A lot of people are asking for judgement on account of their behaviour, sure, but don't ever judge a person by their language.

/end of rant
Last edited by Spiral on Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
This user liked this post: Greenmile

Aclaret
Been Liked: 1306 times
Has Liked: 1402 times

Post by Aclaret » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:06 am

I say old boy, that's one super rant.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

Spiral
Been Liked: 2522 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Spiral » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:15 am

Aclaret wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:06 am
I say old boy, that's one super rant.
I feel better already for it!
These 2 users liked this post: tim_noone Bosscat

Claretmatt4
Been Liked: 1049 times
Has Liked: 723 times

Post by Claretmatt4 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:27 am

I was fully behind it until i read 'didactic'.

Reckon my vocabulary is decent but cba looking that one up.

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:01 am

McNeils favourite players on Fifa are Taylor and Long :lol:

Darnhill Claret
Been Liked: 507 times
Has Liked: 1037 times

Post by Darnhill Claret » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:05 am

I interpreted that as being the two best players of the game at our club as I thought Rio responded by saying he’d have to get them on board, as in , invite them to play.

Heathclaret
Been Liked: 190 times
Has Liked: 179 times

Post by Heathclaret » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:06 am

Spiral wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:53 am
Cannot express how much I absolutely do not want to make this thread political, tim, but that is respectability politics right there. Let me digress. People who speak with our accent (assuming you're from the north yourself) are often denied a kind of respect and consideration of viewpoint which is afforded without condition to a posh arsehole saying, in practical terms, the exact same thing in a fashion which is considered by our culture to be less coarse. A grand keynote speech, for instance, would be better received if delivered in a southern accent, with all the gesture and intonation expected by a British public conditioned to feel more comfortable being spoken down to by posh folks, than if word-for-word delivered in a northern, Scottish or Welsh accent. Extreme example: some toffee nosed posh boy with his classics degree invoking Cicero to make someone feel small, when flat-out calling someone a f.ucking w@nker would have had the same practical effect. Generally speaking, one line of attack might considered an intelligent polemic, the other a vulgar slur. But the end result is the same. One arsehole feels big, the other is made to feel small.

The chauvinism and snobbery you're showing towards Ferdinand's vernacular is but a different flavour of the brand of snobbery which comparatively presses down folk with our accent and denies them the kind of opportunities in life that more 'polished' people are granted, even if those with more polish are (as they sometimes turn out to be) morons, psychopaths and chancers. I know Ferdinand has done well for himself and he almost certainly won't care for your opinion, or mine, or anyone's for that matter, but in general, at the risk of sounding like an overbearingly didactic preacher, you should consider if your behaviour and attitudes are entrenching a type of classist snobbery. Sure, he talks differently to us, but by saying 'STOP', or expressing discontent or annoyance tantamount to it, you're telling him to get in a box - the same kind of box we're effectively told to get into when we're told we're not good enough because we say 'reyt' and 'nowt'. We're given patronising platitudes like "they're honest" and "they're nice and friendly up north", "salt of the earth". But deviate from the stereotype for just one second any you're an aggressive, uncultured pleb, or even a chav. A lot of people are asking for judgement on account of their behaviour, sure, but don't ever judge a person by their language.

/end of rant
Load of rubbish, if he wanted to speak English properly, he has enough money to learn. He wants to talk the way he does because he thinks it keeps him in touch with where he’s from and the people he was friends with.

Just because you speak English properly, doesn’t mean you’re posh.
These 7 users liked this post: tim_noone DomBFC1882 Jakubclaret bobinho randomclaret2 Clarets4me morpheus2

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3861 times
Has Liked: 2070 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:14 am

I watched it with my lad.

Too much Man United theme for me.

Shows the worlds apart lifestyle though. AWB was showing off his steam room and gym whilst Dwight had just moved back home and was sharing a bedroom with his brother.
These 2 users liked this post: tim_noone Rumpelstiltskin

Corky
Been Liked: 535 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Post by Corky » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:25 am

Spiral is completely correct, sadly, Heathclaret is wrong. The beauty of the English language is its ability to evolve. We don't have people saying words like thee and thou anymore. No longer do people put your obedient servant at the end of official letters. The list is as they say endless.

But you do get people adapting their language to suit or fit an occasion. Nothing wrong with that. In this instance it will put the two young players at their ease. Init.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

Heathclaret

Post by Heathclaret » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:34 am

Corky wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:25 am
Spiral is completely correct, sadly, Heathclaret is wrong. The beauty of the English language is its ability to evolve. We don't have people saying words like thee and thou anymore. No longer do people put your obedient servant at the end of official letters. The list is as they say endless.

But you do get people adapting their language to suit or fit an occasion. Nothing wrong with that. In this instance it will put the two young players at their ease. Init.
Your arrogance in assuming I’m wrong astounds me.

Perhaps we just disagree. I understand that language evolves, but to say “bruv” and “innit” and other atrocities doesn’t enhance our beautiful language, it destroys it.

I’ve changed my mind, happily, you are wrong.

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:55 am

Corky wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:25 am

Tha's wrong and Th'a knows it.
This user liked this post: Elizabeth

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1183 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:57 am

Heathclaret wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:34 am
Your arrogance in assuming I’m wrong astounds me.

Perhaps we just disagree. I understand that language evolves, but to say “bruv” and “innit” and other atrocities doesn’t enhance our beautiful language, it destroys it.

I’ve changed my mind, happily, you are wrong.
It does, there’s no need for it, you should be able to to articulate yourself properly without all the hoodlum gangster talk.

bobinho
Been Liked: 4093 times
Has Liked: 6568 times

Post by bobinho » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:04 am

Yeah all this “gangsta” talk is more than a little tiring. It’s not natural like an accent is natural - it’s forced, false and juvenile. When delivered by a middle aged man it’s just sad.

And for the record “your obedient servant” IS still used today....
These 2 users liked this post: Stalbansclaret randomclaret2

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5553 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:12 am

bobinho wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:04 am

It's how Ringo signs off his letters to Boris.

Just a bit of fun Ringo, no need to quote an opinion poll.
These 4 users liked this post: tim_noone evensteadiereddie Bordeauxclaret bobinho

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:15 am

bobinho wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:04 am
Yeah all this “gangsta” talk is more than a little tiring. It’s not natural like an accent is natural - it’s forced, false and juvenile. When delivered by a middle aged man it’s just sad.

Yes..it's the juvenile aspect of it. Dialect is surely a different thing regards words like thee and thou. To the programme it was good to see how grounded Dwight was at his parents place.yes he's probably got a posh House somewhere.But he seems very grounded.
This user liked this post: Rumpelstiltskin

Greenmile
Been Liked: 1081 times
Has Liked: 4254 times

Post by Greenmile » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:17 am

Do all the people complaining about “gangsta” talk also hate it when folk drop their “h”s or “t”s, or is it just dialects associated with ethnic minority communities that you all have an issue with?

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:23 am

Greenmile wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:17 am
Do all the people complaining about “gangsta” talk also hate it when folk drop their “h”s or “t”s, or is it just dialects associated with ethnic minority communities that you all have an issue with?
Mr Ferdinand is British.
This user liked this post: bobinho

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3148 times
Has Liked: 10236 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:24 am

It's the same deliberate thing in a lot of cases. There's a young lass doing voice-overs on Channel 4 who deliberately and sometimes inconsistently drops het "t"s - oooe, missus - and her artificiality grates just as much as the gangsta crap or folk beginning any sentence or response to a question with "so".
As someone mentioned earlier, the English language is evolving and adapting constantly either at local level or worldwide. Some linguistic fads stick, others fade but race doesn't or shouldn't come into it.

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:26 am

evensteadiereddie wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:24 am
It's the same deliberate thing in a lot of cases. There's a young lass doing voice-overs on Channel 4 who deliberately and sometimes inconsistently drops het "t"s - oooe, missus - and her artificiality grates just as much as the gangsta crap or folk beginning any sentence or response to a question with "so".
As someone mentioned earlier, the English language is evolving and adapting constantly either at local level or worldwide. Some linguistic fads stick, others fade but race doesn't or shouldn't come into it.
I had you down as a BBC 4 Geezer? :D Geezer!

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:34 am

tim_noone wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:23 am
Mr Ferdinand is British.
Correct but irrelevant, unless you don’t believe BAME people can be British, in which case subconscious prejudice is the least of your problems.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:53 am

Once you wouldn’t have been anywhere near broadcasting if you couldn’t speak properly or at least clearly. It seems to be the in thing for radio and tv to give them coverage now. I can’t understand half the boxers on the radio so I just turn over.

Stanbill05
Been Liked: 140 times
Has Liked: 54 times

Post by Stanbill05 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:00 am

Middle class white kids talk like Rio round here. I live in the cotswolds. Do you get me cuz? ...Or something. Each to their own...unless your my son then you can leave it on the doorstep!

Stanbill05
Been Liked: 140 times
Has Liked: 54 times

Post by Stanbill05 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:07 am

Of course that should be you’re if I cared about the queen’s england

bobinho

Post by bobinho » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:46 am

Greenmile wrote:
Really? We are all racist because we find this made up chat juvenile?

Aclaret
Been Liked: 1306 times
Has Liked: 1402 times

Post by Aclaret » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:51 am

Eh up, wheres this thread heading to.

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2319 times
Has Liked: 1039 times

Post by Clarets4me » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:11 am

Rio Ferdinard has reinvented himself .... He won't want us to remember the 4 driving bans, the ban for missing drug tests, the 10 affairs he allegedly had whilst married, the sex video taken in Ayia Napa, swearing at and kicking a female steward at Chelsea, and the heavy fines for his social media posts .... as for the accent, don't get me started ... mind you, it winds me off the clock when people say " Haitch " instead of H ..
Last edited by Clarets4me on Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bfcboyo
Been Liked: 441 times
Has Liked: 355 times

Post by Bfcboyo » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:17 am

Greenmile wrote:
Ahhhh the old offended for anyone by anything crew is out.

It's made up street slang but you wouldn't know that as your out of touch wiv reality bro.

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:18 am

bobinho wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:46 am
Really? We are all racist because we find this made up chat juvenile?
All chat is made up. If you only have an issue with chat made up by ethnic minorities, maybe that’s something for you to think about.

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:20 am

Bfcboyo wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:17 am
Ahhhh the old offended for anyone by anything crew is out.

It's made up street slang but you wouldn't know that as your out of touch wiv reality bro.
Who’s offended here? Looks like it might be you.

Again, all slang (all language, in fact) is “made up”. Why do some folk on here only have a problem when it’s been made up by a certain type of person?

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6950 times
Has Liked: 1479 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:28 am

How is using the terms ‘bruv’ or ‘cuz’ any different than mate or pal?

Got to love the fine folk of Burnley, a town renowned for having a very strong regional dialect, criticising someone for not speaking correctly. Ironic beyond belief.

chipbutty
Been Liked: 135 times
Has Liked: 132 times

Post by chipbutty » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:34 am

"His name is Rio and he drives when he`s ******"
Simon Le Bon

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:41 am

Rileybobs wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:28 am
How is using the terms ‘bruv’ or ‘cuz’ any different than mate or pal?

Got to love the fine folk of Burnley, a town renowned for having a very strong regional dialect, criticising someone for not speaking correctly. Ironic beyond belief.
I Like People from Manchester saying Manchestaaar..very regional I'm sure innit?

Hapag Lloyd
Been Liked: 286 times
Has Liked: 427 times

Post by Hapag Lloyd » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:47 am

Greenmile wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:20 am
Who’s offended here? Looks like it might be you.

Again, all slang (all language, in fact) is “made up”. Why do some folk on here only have a problem when it’s been made up by a certain type of person?
Stop looking for something that’s not there.
These 4 users liked this post: tim_noone Jakubclaret bobinho Elizabeth

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6950 times
Has Liked: 1479 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:59 am

tim_noone wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:41 am
I Like People from Manchester saying Manchestaaar..very regional I'm sure innit?
Not everyone from Manchester speaks the same. People’s dialect is largely formed by the people that they grew up around.

Heathclaret

Post by Heathclaret » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:19 pm

Just for the record, I am not racist, I am married to a white English woman who is originally from Pollards Hill, my father was born in Weir and my mother, she is Dutch, was born in Indonesia and spent the first few years of her life in a Japanese concentration camp. I was born in Ghana and lived in Nigeria for the first sixteen years if my life, we then came to England and then moved to the Isle of Man.

I may not speak English perfectly, but I try my best.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:31 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:59 am
Not everyone from Manchester speaks the same. People’s dialect is largely formed by the people that they grew up around.
Exactly that's why most people from Burnley speak with a strong regional accent as you say..I've known guys from Manchester for many years..... Manchestaaar is made up "POP" chat not a regional thing. A bit Like middle aged RIO Talking Like a Young impressionable kid.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:45 pm

Heathclaret wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:19 pm
Just for the record, I am not racist, I am married to a white English woman who is originally from Pollards Hill, my father was born in Weir and my mother, she is Dutch, was born in Indonesia and spent the first few years of her life in a Japanese concentration camp. I was born in Ghana and lived in Nigeria for the first sixteen years if my life, we then came to England and then moved to the Isle of Man.

I think most of us realise you aren’t I certainly do, you’ve said nothing racist no one as to be fair, some people are just trying to drag racism & prejudice into the subject when it’s not necessary, it’s got nothing to do with whether somebody can speak English properly or not.

bobinho

Post by bobinho » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:54 pm

Heathclaret wrote:

Isle of Man? That’s just weird. :shock: :lol:

Heathclaret

Post by Heathclaret » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:06 pm

bobinho wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:54 pm
Isle of Man? That’s just weird. :shock: :lol:
Never said I wasn’t sexist.

Just kidding.

Not there anymore, we now live in The Shire of Lincoln, but recently spent fourteen years in France.

Truly am a person of the global village :D
These 2 users liked this post: tim_noone bobinho

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:33 pm

Heathclaret wrote:

What is this perfect form of English that you are striving for?

RP / “The Queens English” sounds pretty ridiculous to my ears, unless it’s coming from someone in a period drama or something. It’s certainly no more perfect than any regional dialect, or even a more cultural one like we’re discussing.

Language is just a tool to impart meaning, and a word like “innit” for example, is a very succinct and efficient way of imparting quite a bit of meaning in two short syllables.

Oh, and just for the record, I haven’t suggested you, or anyone else, is a racist (on this thread, at least).

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:34 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:45 pm
I think most of us realise you aren’t I certainly do, you’ve said nothing racist no one as to be fair, some people are just trying to drag racism & prejudice into the subject when it’s not necessary, it’s got nothing to do with whether somebody can speak English properly or not.
See my post above. There’s no such thing as speaking English “properly”.

Heathclaret

Post by Heathclaret » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:41 pm

Greenmile wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:34 pm
See my post above. There’s no such thing as speaking English “properly”.
I don’t really think you believe your own drivel, but if you do.

You is talking shite mate. ( I’m sure you will understand the sentence as it is succinct and efficient in showing your ignorance)

Only in my opinion, of course.

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:01 pm

Heathclaret wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:41 pm
I don’t really think you believe your own drivel, but if you do.

You is talking shite mate. ( I’m sure you will understand the sentence as it is succinct and efficient in showing your ignorance)

Only in my opinion, of course.
Maybe you could try answering my question instead of hurling unwarranted abuse?

Just a thought.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:10 pm

Best ignored, file under troublemaker.

Heathclaret

Post by Heathclaret » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:56 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:10 pm
Best ignored, file under troublemaker.
Me?

Heathclaret

Post by Heathclaret » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:01 pm

Greenmile wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:01 pm
Maybe you could try answering my question instead of hurling unwarranted abuse?

Just a thought.
Hurling abuse? Really. Is that what I did. I apologise.

I don’t think I can really explain what speaking properly is without you being able to hear me, it would take too long and I’m not sure you would understand.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:01 pm

Heathclaret wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:56 pm
Me?
No, I'm on about the other poster causing trouble or trying to.

Heathclaret

Post by Heathclaret » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:04 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:01 pm
No, I'm on about the other poster causing trouble or trying to.
👍