No furlough at Burnley Football Club

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32410 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

No furlough at Burnley Football Club

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:28 pm

Garlick has said on radio that our club will not furlough any staff. In a real swipe at Spurs, Newcastle, Liverpool, Bournemouth & Norwich he said he could understand if League Two clubs did it.
These 26 users liked this post: longsidepies Bosscat Leisure randomclaret2 Corky Super Teds TVC15 groove Buxtonclaret bobinho jtv ecc levraiclaret BertiesBeehole Rumpelstiltskin MT03ALG Clarets4me KateR tiger76 Enty1974 expoultryboy No Ney Never Elizabeth Claret-On-A-T-Rex claretfern Taffy on the wing

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8488 times
Has Liked: 18214 times

Re: No furlough at Burnley Football Club

Post by Bosscat » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:31 pm

Makes you proud to be a Claret when our Chairmen says things like that....

Proudest Fans in Proudsville ;)
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3154 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:10 pm

important to note- situation may change if no sign of resumption in July.

Mike Garlick on 5Live today - from 40:40 in
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000h03d
Last edited by Chester Perry on Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2540 times
Has Liked: 766 times

Post by ksrclaret » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:15 pm

Everytime a PL club does it, I'm always surprised.

Really glad our club are doing everything to avoid it - that sort of response will be remembered in months and years to come. Businesses that are doing the very best for their employees now will hopefully benefit when this ends.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:18 pm

That's great from the club,but how viable is this position in the long-term.

The 2 that stand out on that list are Liverpool and Spurs,it was only 10 months ago they faced each other in the CL final,and now they're claiming they can't afford to pay their lowest paid staff absolute twaddle,i assume from their penny pinching that we can't expect any big name signings arriving at Anfield or the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in the next transfer window.

The lower league clubs would certainly have a valid argument for cutting costs where possible,but no PL club can be that cash-strapped surely,now if the suspension continued for a lengthy spell,then such actions might be justified,but these clubs are purely taking advantage of the furlough scheme,that's not what it's designed for,it's purpose is to try and help companies retain as many staff as they can for when business gets back to some form of normality.
These 2 users liked this post: Buxtonclaret Bosscat

CaptainKirk
Been Liked: 385 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Post by CaptainKirk » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:37 pm

Just listened to the interview.
If someone wanted to drop tins etc off, where Is the food bank?

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:59 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:18 pm
That's great from the club,but how viable is this position in the long-term.

The 2 that stand out on that list are Liverpool and Spurs,it was only 10 months ago they faced each other in the CL final,and now they're claiming they can't afford to pay their lowest paid staff absolute twaddle,i assume from their penny pinching that we can't expect any big name signings arriving at Anfield or the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in the next transfer window.

The lower league clubs would certainly have a valid argument for cutting costs where possible,but no PL club can be that cash-strapped surely,now if the suspension continued for a lengthy spell,then such actions might be justified,but these clubs are purely taking advantage of the furlough scheme,that's not what it's designed for,it's purpose is to try and help companies retain as many staff as they can for when business gets back to some form of normality.
Liverpool have decided not to do it now.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:10 pm

Tall Paul wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:59 pm
Named and Shamed.
These 4 users liked this post: Bosscat tiger76 MT03ALG claretfern

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1487 times
Has Liked: 1847 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:45 pm

A great decision we look after our own

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:18 pm

CaptainKirk wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:37 pm
The foodbank is part of Burnley Community Kitchen which is in the back right hand corner on the market square balcony.

There were two of our bins placed there last week and our other bins are going into the supermarkets. They are dreadfully short of tinned stuff since our match day collections stopped.

CaptainKirk
Been Liked: 385 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Post by CaptainKirk » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:08 pm

Ok
Cheers for that

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:11 pm

CaptainKirk wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:08 pm
Ok
Cheers for that
I’ve made a couple of phone calls to see if the supermarket bins have been placed yet but not been able to speak to anyone. I’ll try again tomorrow and post details on the foodbank thread.

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2337 times
Has Liked: 1040 times

Post by Clarets4me » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:22 pm

CaptainKirk wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:37 pm
Unfortunately, one of the knock on effects of the " hoarding ", is that you cannot go the supermarkets etc, and buy a dozen tins of Beans, 12 packets of Pasta or 10 cans of soup to donate, at present. Regular posters may remember that Mrs Clarets4me and I share our home with two Adults who live with learning disabilities, one of whom is a volunteer at the Foodbank. He's had to " suspend " his volunteering as Mrs Clarets4me is a type 1 Diabetic.

As Mike Garlick said, fresh food is still coming in, as are Cereals, Bread etc. However, I believe they have only about a week's supply of tinned foods, so they need tins .... Soups, Baked Beans, Tomatoes, Sweetcorn, Tuna, Corned Beef, etc as well as toothbrushes, shampoos, soap, anti-deodorants, nappies, tampons/pads etc ...

Please donate if you're able ... Thanks !

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:24 pm

Tall Paul wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:59 pm
Puts the pressure on Spurs to reverse their original decision,will they,the next day or two will tell.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:34 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:24 pm
Puts the pressure on Spurs to reverse their original decision,will they,the next day or two will tell.
Don’t think we should be forgetting about Newcastle, Norwich and Bournemouth either.

The government and HMRC are unfortunately under so much pressure with resources that it’s not clear whether they can challenge these types of requests or have the time to do so.
The added complication is that they are not the only very businesses who are taking this option or the only business with very well paid employees.
The biggest issue with football clubs doing this for me is the timing - at this stage the loss in their total revenues from not playing is pretty small as a percentage of their total revenue yet they have already made the decision to lay off workers and claim. They should have waited until their is more certainty about TV monies / the rest of the season and only then considered this.
This user liked this post: tiger76

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:01 pm

TVC15 wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:34 pm
Don’t think we should be forgetting about Newcastle, Norwich and Bournemouth either.

The government and HMRC are unfortunately under so much pressure with resources that it’s not clear whether they can challenge these types of requests or have the time to do so.
The added complication is that they are not the only very businesses who are taking this option or the only business with very well paid employees.
The biggest issue with football clubs doing this for me is the timing - at this stage the loss in their total revenues from not playing is pretty small as a percentage of their total revenue yet they have already made the decision to lay off workers and claim. They should have waited until their is more certainty about TV monies / the rest of the season and only then considered this.
No Newcastle,Norwich and Bournemouth shouldn't be forgotten in all this,i agree what irks me is how quickly the PL clubs have enacted these measures,TBF to the players and managers many are agreeing wagecuts/deferrals to help the clubs with any cash flow issues,now there has been problems with this also,but most of the players are trying to play their part in ensuring the clubs running costs are kept to a minimum during the fallow period,IDK how much % of a PL clubs turnover goes on the non-playing staff,but i wouldn't imagine it's huge in the scheme of things,surely they could have funded this expenditure for 2/3 months,and than we'd all have a better idea of what the future holds.

As i understand it Spurs have given their staff 20% wage cuts,and then applied to the government's furlough scheme,so in that case they are effectively being subsided by the taxpayers,meanwhile Daniel Levy has pocketed a £3m bonus,on top of his annual £4m salary,how is that justifiable when we're all supposed to be in this together.

A quick point about other large businesses.my dad has vowed he'll never drink in a Wetherspoons establishment again,after hearing how Tim Martin has treated his staff,and my dad's an avid brexiteer,but it's the principle he's not happy with,you don't sh*t on your employees,that's his view.

Mike Ashley hasn't come out of this well at all,firstly he's angered the Newcastle fans even more,if that was possible,and secondly his decision to try and justify Sports Direct as an essential business,has made him a laughing stock.

Hopefully people remember this duo's action's once this pandemic has abated,and they vote with their feet and boycott these guy's businesses,that's the only language types like this understand.
These 3 users liked this post: TVC15 Taffy on the wing Tribesmen

No Ney Never
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by No Ney Never » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:49 pm

Would be nice to see the financial industry, particularly fund and wealth management, put under pressure to make cuts to their charges and also contribute to the cause..

aggi
Been Liked: 2116 times

Post by aggi » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:27 am

tiger76 wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:01 pm
No Newcastle,Norwich and Bournemouth shouldn't be forgotten in all this,i agree what irks me is how quickly the PL clubs have enacted these measures,TBF to the players and managers many are agreeing wagecuts/deferrals to help the clubs with any cash flow issues,now there has been problems with this also,but most of the players are trying to play their part in ensuring the clubs running costs are kept to a minimum during the fallow period,IDK how much % of a PL clubs turnover goes on the non-playing staff,but i wouldn't imagine it's huge in the scheme of things,surely they could have funded this expenditure for 2/3 months,and than we'd all have a better idea of what the future holds.

As i understand it Spurs have given their staff 20% wage cuts,and then applied to the government's furlough scheme,so in that case they are effectively being subsided by the taxpayers,meanwhile Daniel Levy has pocketed a £3m bonus,on top of his annual £4m salary,how is that justifiable when we're all supposed to be in this together.

A quick point about other large businesses.my dad has vowed he'll never drink in a Wetherspoons establishment again,after hearing how Tim Martin has treated his staff,and my dad's an avid brexiteer,but it's the principle he's not happy with,you don't sh*t on your employees,that's his view.

Mike Ashley hasn't come out of this well at all,firstly he's angered the Newcastle fans even more,if that was possible,and secondly his decision to try and justify Sports Direct as an essential business,has made him a laughing stock.

Hopefully people remember this duo's action's once this pandemic has abated,and they vote with their feet and boycott these guy's businesses,that's the only language types like this understand.
I can't remember about Newcastle but arguably Norwich and Bournemouth don't have the finances to ride this out like Spurs or Liverpool (or Burnley) do. Obviously the elephant in the room is that they have a variety of very highly paid staff who aren't necessarily taking pay cuts (although Howe and a few others at Bournemouth have). On the other hand, I imagine there aren't any bonus payments at the moment so I guess that will equate to a form of pay cut.

As you say though, that isn't that dissimilar from other businesses. JCB's owners received payments of ~ £75m last year (not that different to a lower Premier league team wage bill) and there hasn't been any outcry about them furloughing staff.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:37 am

Clarets4me wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:22 pm
Unfortunately, one of the knock on effects of the " hoarding ", is that you cannot go the supermarkets etc, and buy a dozen tins of Beans, 12 packets of Pasta or 10 cans of soup to donate, at present. Regular posters may remember that Mrs Clarets4me and I share our home with two Adults who live with learning disabilities, one of whom is a volunteer at the Foodbank. He's had to " suspend " his volunteering as Mrs Clarets4me is a type 1 Diabetic.

As Mike Garlick said, fresh food is still coming in, as are Cereals, Bread etc. However, I believe they have only about a week's supply of tinned foods, so they need tins .... Soups, Baked Beans, Tomatoes, Sweetcorn, Tuna, Corned Beef, etc as well as toothbrushes, shampoos, soap, anti-deodorants, nappies, tampons/pads etc ...

Please donate if you're able ... Thanks !
Anita, the manager at the Community Kitchen, described me a few months ago as an angel. That I am very definitely not but it was because I’d launched Clarets for Foodbanks and she was referring to the massive difference it had made. Supermarkets and such will donate bread and fresh food but the ambient goods prove more difficult to get.

So I can only echo Clarets4me in appealing for donations.

And I really hope, when we are able to get back outside the ground on match days, we get even more support than we’ve already had in terms of publicity, volunteering and donating.

Please help if you can.