Pay cut

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6951 times
Has Liked: 1479 times

Re: Pay cut

Post by Rileybobs » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:52 pm

Elizabeth wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:47 pm
This argument is a lot more complicated than some who talk about jealousy, bitterness and punishing players think
Guessing that’s me? If so I acknowledge how complicated the argument is. That’s why I’m arguing against the people who are simplifying it by just saying players should take a wage cut without any explanation as to economical benefit of this and the mechanism by which it would happen.

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Post by Elizabeth » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:00 pm

No it isn't. I've seen it said from quite a good number.
I can see all interested football parties points of view and respect all sides.
I have more of an issue with the whataboutery.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1183 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:00 pm

Elizabeth wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:47 pm
This argument is a lot more complicated than some who talk about jealousy, bitterness and punishing players think
Far far more complicated, from every single individual viewpoint, starts to question the wider debate about setting examples & seeing to be doing the right thing.

Claretincraven
Been Liked: 130 times
Has Liked: 55 times

Post by Claretincraven » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:01 am

Manorlands, the Sue Ryder Hospice just outside Keighley may have to close due to a lack of funds. Now wouldn't it be nice if some player maybe more, getting paid a good whack for sitting at home doing nothing donated their wage to such a good cause. What hardship would it cause them in the scheme of things?

ChorltonCharlie
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 75 times

Post by ChorltonCharlie » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:27 am

I'm happy to put my tin hat on. I do think the footballer thing comes from bitterness, spite and jealousy. It's media led with certain rags all too happy to single out footballers whenever the opportunity is there. I'm talking regular times here as much the current times. Footballers are talked about en-masses, but there's a huge difference in earnings even within the PL. Never mind when you get down to the lower leagues. They are of course handsomely paid, but there's other high profile entertainment figures who earn well in excess of say Burnley players who aren't being targetted. As things stand, these people also can't do their regular job either. It's also worth pointing out that no football matches have been cancelled yet at the elite level. Players are salaried and the plans are still there to play the games and clubs will continue to generate huge incomes from those games if they go ahead. So why should players take a pay cut when they will still be expected to do the work they're contracted to?

We don't need to talk about footballers apart from in specific clubs cases. Then we're more likely to be talking about wages deferrals until the projected income starts rolling in again and only pay cuts when it doesn't. It's not whataboutery to say that footballers shouldn't be singled out because there's other high earners. It's just part of the bigger picture.

If the government needs help, then put taxes up and focus on all high earners. Put rules in place to stop businesses that have incredibly high earners not be able to use the furlough scheme for their lower paid earners.

When you seem comments like "I've had to take a pay cut, so why shouldn't they" and "footballers are paid far too much, so they should take a paycut" then yes that's bitterness/spite/jealousy and there's plenty of that since these arguments started in the last couple of weeks.
This user liked this post: Rileybobs

ChorltonCharlie

Post by ChorltonCharlie » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:30 am

Claretincraven wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:01 am
Manorlands, the Sue Ryder Hospice just outside Keighley may have to close due to a lack of funds. Now wouldn't it be nice if some player maybe more, getting paid a good whack for sitting at home doing nothing donated their wage to such a good cause. What hardship would it cause them in the scheme of things?
That would be a real shame. I've recently done some 'stuff' to support them. Again, I don't think it's fair to target footballers, but pro-actively if you know what kind of shortfall they're looking at, why not contact Burnley and see if the players could club together to help? At the moment, the more public the better.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:01 am

I wouldn't question people's intelligence en bloc if they thought differently to me and would hope others might ponder before doing the same .
The case of footballers should be looked at without comparison with other industries and purely on the basis of asking the question of whether it is fair and reasonable to ask them to make a sacrifice without them becoming martyrs.
I agree the whole of football , not just footballers, should be doing the same and wasn't it satisfying to see Liverpool had to backtrack on the furloughing due to fan pressure.
Many of whom would be described by others as bitter, jealous spiteful and unintelligent when it came to wanting players to take a wage cut.

Bullabill
Been Liked: 302 times
Has Liked: 147 times

Post by Bullabill » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:25 am

Top Claret wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:19 pm
I personally have invested time and money into our club over the last 50 plus years.
In what way have you 'invested' ? Buying a few season tickets is not an investment in the club, it's payment for being able to watch the football. If I buy cod and chips at the local chippy I'm not investing in the business.

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:07 pm

I can assure you that I personally have invested more than a season ticket in the club. I had my own box for over 10 years.

I honestly don't give a stuff about the management or players, who are paid handsomely. All I care about is the long term future of our football club, if it means the high wage earners take a pay cut, to a couple of grand a week to help the club out, so be it.

This won't last forever. The players could take a deferral and negotiate with the club to pay them back over a short term, when everything is back to normal.

If we have to sell one of our better players to pay deferrals, then so be it
This user liked this post: Jamesy

ChorltonCharlie

Post by ChorltonCharlie » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:09 pm

Elizabeth wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:01 am
The case of footballers should be looked at without comparison with other industries and purely on the basis of asking the question of whether it is fair and reasonable to ask them to make a sacrifice without them becoming martyrs.
Within the industry of course, but away from that the media, public and certain MPs shouldn't be singling them out. It is discrimination. Why would it be any different to singling out any other group of people? It's not whataboutery to say they should be considered as part of high earners in general and not singled out.

This is a message board and of course sometimes people will make throwaway comments. We shouldn't generalise and say anyone who expects footballers en-masse to take a pay cut is either thick or bitter and twisted. However, if people aren't ignorant and are singling out footballers then the only explanation for the demands on footballers and no-one else is born out of some kind of agenda.

Some simple facts based on the PL:
  • Most clubs are pushing to complete this season and continue with next season
  • If this happens most clubs will lose little income
  • The majority of clubs are owned by billionaires and/or have made substantial profits and can afford to pay all staff
  • Many of the footballers are making their own charitable contributions
  • Pay cuts would mean the money goes to the club and sees a reduction in tax contributions. No direct benefit to the government, the public, etc
If you can explain why any fair minded objective person would still be singling out footballers for pay cuts, be my guest.
These 2 users liked this post: Burnley1989 Rileybobs

Jamesy
Been Liked: 791 times
Has Liked: 526 times

Post by Jamesy » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:17 pm

Quite simply Charlie, if this Covid19 shows no sign of abating within next 3 months clubs like ours could be on their @rse.
Meanwhile we will have players sat at home on wages of up to 55k per week. Is that right?
This user liked this post: Top Claret

Top Claret

Post by Top Claret » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:24 pm

The money generated from the majority of football clubs in this country goes straight into the pockets of the players and management.

To compare running a football club to business in other industries is ridiculous.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:30 pm

Top Claret wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:07 pm
I can assure you that I personally have invested more than a season ticket in the club. I had my own box for over 10 years.

I honestly don't give a stuff about the management or players, who are paid handsomely. All I care about is the long term future of our football club, if it means the high wage earners take a pay cut, to a couple of grand a week to help the club out, so be it.

This won't last forever. The players could take a deferral and negotiate with the club to pay them back over a short term, when everything is back to normal.

If you have had a box for the last 10 years it’s a pretty fair assumption that you are earning decent money,

As a matter of interest have you taken a pay cut ?

Jamesy

Post by Jamesy » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:44 pm

If someone is still working and effectively contributing to the economy or well being of the country why should they take a pay cut? Our footballers are currently NOT working other than perhaps keeping themselves fit. Mike Garlick has publicly stated this week that if this situation goes on for any length of time Burnley FC will be in serious financial difficulty. Therefore why wouldn’t the players help the club in the form of a salary reduction?

Top Claret

Post by Top Claret » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:47 pm

TVC15 wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:30 pm
If you have had a box for the last 10 years it’s a pretty fair assumption that you are earning decent money,

I am retired. My investments have taken an hammering though

Claretincraven
Been Liked: 130 times
Has Liked: 55 times

Post by Claretincraven » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:48 pm

TVC15 wrote:
    Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:30 pm

Does everybody else have to take a pay cut before footballers?
    Personally I am fed up of this question being asked everytime someone suggests that maybe footballers could actually receive a little less or give a bit away.
    This user liked this post: Jamesy

Spike
    Been Liked: 597 times
    Has Liked: 1237 times

Post by Spike » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:53 pm

Top Claret wrote:
    Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:07 pm

Have you volunteered to take a pay cut yourself
    Panic a very easy emotion to spread

We are Burnley we will beat this together UTC

jackmiggins
    Been Liked: 197 times
    Has Liked: 48 times

Post by jackmiggins » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:01 pm

If a club is in financial dire straights, the player’s can be furloughed, just like everyone else in a permanent contract. If the player feels he is above this, the club can let it be known that he is being released, let him move on......but I wouldn’t think it could help his career.

Top Claret

Post by Top Claret » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:05 pm

Spike wrote:
    Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:53 pm
    Have you volunteered to take a pay cut yourself
    Panic a very easy emotion to spread

We are Burnley we will beat this together UTC

Saying that I am spreading panic is ridiculous.

Football clubs world wide are staring inside the barrel of a financial disaster if this lock down continues, or action is not taken to cut the players wages

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:07 pm

Claretincraven wrote:
    Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:48 pm
      Does everybody else have to take a pay cut before footballers?
      Personally I am fed up of this question being asked everytime someone suggests that maybe footballers could actually receive a little less or give a bit away.
      No not everyone - but why do you think that just footballers should take pay cuts ? Should other high earners in other sectors on similar salaries also take pay cuts ?

As I have posted above I don’t think pay cuts are the answer - increasing taxes is the fairest way. Cutting pay will have a direct impact on reducing tax revenues.

If the debate is that footballers / high earners should be helping the rest of society / NHS during this crisis then the fairest and best solution is a tax increase - even if it’s a temporary one.

If the debate is about helping save your football clubs then firstly for many clubs that brings in the question mark about their billionaire owners being far richer than the players etc. If you don’t have a sugar daddy like we don’t then the best solution would be for players to agree initially to defer their wages. Right now our chairman / owners seem to be satisfied that we wait and see what is happening with finishing the season first as if we do then we are absolutely fine financially,

Spike
      Been Liked: 597 times
      Has Liked: 1237 times

Post by Spike » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:08 pm

We will finish the season ! Keep the Faith

bfcmik
      Been Liked: 891 times
      Has Liked: 1100 times

Post by bfcmik » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:35 pm

Claretincraven wrote:
      Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:01 am
      Why does it have to be a footballer? Why not some entrepreneur, music star, CEO of a PLC? Big headline incomes for a minority of footballers are applied by the media, and thus public perception, to every professional in the game. BFC players earn less than half of what Man City, united, Chelsea etc pay and, whilst they are extremely wealthy by the standards of most of us, they are not necessarily cash rich. Most footballers have a very short period of their lives at the big earnings table and, from what I read, have to invest in their pension funds so they can live comfortably for the 40 or more years they can expect to live after they retire. They have devoted, in most cases, their whole youth to attaining the status they achieve in the game. Generally to the exclusion of learning any other workplace skill that could support them once they pass their mid 30s.

I am sure most footballers have a regular arrangement with their favourite charity(ies). Almost all of them seem like decent blokes when you meet them or see stuff that is posted about them.
      Last edited by bfcmik on Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:37 pm

Be fair minded and objective by all means but have the wisdom to know that describing others in uncomplimentary terms because they don't see it like you will not bridge the gaps
      These 2 users liked this post: Chester Perry KateR

Jamesy

Post by Jamesy » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:55 pm

bfcmik wrote:
      Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:35 pm
      Why does it have to be a footballer? Why not some entrepreneur, music star, CEO of a PLC? Big headline incomes for a minority of footballers are applied by the media, and thus public perception to every professional in the game. BFC players earn less than half of what Man City, united, Chelsea etc pay and whilst they are extremely wealthy by the standards of most of us, they are not necessarily cash rich. Most footballers have a very short period of their lives at the big earnings table and, from what I read, have to invest in their pension funds so they can live comfortably for the 40 or more years they can expect to live after they retire. They have devoted, in most cases, their whole youth to attaining the status they achieve in the game. Generally to the exclusion of learning any other workplace skill that could support them once they pass their mid 30s.

I am sure most footballers have a regular arrangement with their favourite charity(ies). Almost all of them seem like decent blokes when you meet them or see stuff that is posted about them.
      Our top earners are on over 50k per week. They are probably decent blokes, however these decent blokes are currently NOT working and still being paid FULL salary. It is not an envy thing, I don’t begrudge these young men earning a fortune and making hay whilst they can. However, like the majority of us they are not currently working and Burnley FC are currently picking up the tab which is not sustainable for OUR football club.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:59 pm

Jamesy wrote:
      Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:55 pm
      Our top earners are on over 50k per week. They are probably decent blokes, however these decent blokes are currently NOT working and still being paid FULL salary. It is not an envy thing, I don’t begrudge these young men earning a fortune and making hay whilst they can. However, like the majority of us they are not currently working and Burnley FC are currently picking up the tab which is not sustainable for OUR football club.
      It up to the board of directors to determine what is sustainable for our club, not you.

Whilst they are currently not working, they are still expected to finish the season and as such will be working ‘overtime’ when this is over. Their very short holiday period will no doubt also be cut short as a result.

No Ney Never
      Been Liked: 895 times
      Has Liked: 328 times

Post by No Ney Never » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:48 pm

bfcmik wrote:
      Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:35 pm
      ....Most footballers have a very short period of their lives at the big earnings table and, from what I read, have to invest in their pension funds so they can live comfortably for the 40 or more years they can expect to live after they retire. They have devoted, in most cases, their whole youth to attaining the status they achieve in the game. Generally to the exclusion of learning any other workplace skill that could support them once they pass their mid 30's.
      Don't agree with the idea that football is all that these lads are capable of in a lifetime. They don't need to be paid such amounts with the reasoning that they are incapable of earning a living after the game. Unlike most working people who want to upskill, they have plenty of time to study and learn something while still playing, let alone have the time and money to do so once finished.

ChorltonCharlie

Post by ChorltonCharlie » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:01 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
      Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:59 pm
      It up to the board of directors to determine what is sustainable for our club, not you.

Whilst they are currently not working, they are still expected to finish the season and as such will be working ‘overtime’ when this is over. Their very short holiday period will no doubt also be cut short as a result.
      I like this idea. They can all take a small pay cut for now, but we can pay them all double time when play resumes. Of course at this point Sky subscriptions should double as should our direct debit payments. All the people who think footballers should take a pay cut right now because "they're sat on their arses" won't have any problem with this.

bfcmik

Post by bfcmik » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:46 pm

No Ney Never wrote:
      Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:48 pm
      Don't agree with the idea that football is all that these lads are capable of in a lifetime. They don't need to be paid such amounts with the reasoning that they are incapable of earning a living after the game. Unlike most working people who want to upskill, they have plenty of time to study and learn something while still playing, let alone have the time and money to do so once finished.
      All people at the top of any entertainment industry - which is what Premier League football is part of - draw mega money. Paul McCartney, for example, allegedly earns £2 a SECOND even if he doesn't move a muscle, and will continue to do so for his heirs even after he dies. I doubt any film stars are hurting for a few quid either. Perhaps Jacob Rees Mogg should be forced into chipping in a few quid from his BILLIONS. Can't be done with tax though as he is only paid into offshore accounts.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:01 pm

bfcmik wrote:
      Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:46 pm
      All people at the top of any entertainment industry - which is what Premier League football is part of - draw mega money. Paul McCartney, for example, allegedly earns £2 a SECOND even if he doesn't move a muscle, and will continue to do so for his heirs even after he dies. I doubt any film stars are hurting for a few quid either. Perhaps Jacob Rees Mogg should be forced into chipping in a few quid from his BILLIONS. Can't be done with tax though as he is only paid into offshore accounts.
      I haven’t see those talentless ladies who host strictly come dancing on TV during this crisis yet does not Claudia get paid by the BBC a million a year.
      Have a look at the BBC salary list and these are the some of same guys who are reporting about this footballers stuff every day - like Jeremy Vine...has he taken a cut in his salary ?

Jamesy

Post by Jamesy » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:13 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
      Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:59 pm

Oh you must have missed the article by Mike Garlick then where he said he hoped players would help the club out but if they didn’t he wouldn’t hold it against them?

wilks_bfc
      Been Liked: 3181 times
      Has Liked: 1865 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:20 pm

Premier League Players Statement
      Attachments
      B083D1DC-BD57-41AC-952D-63EF602D8B02.jpeg
      B083D1DC-BD57-41AC-952D-63EF602D8B02.jpeg (64.56 KiB) Viewed 1216 times

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:23 pm

That’s just simply not enough. Why don’t they open up their massive houses as Nightingale Hospitals? I’ll tell you why, because they’re greedy parasites.

bfcmik

Post by bfcmik » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:39 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
      Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:23 pm
      That’s just simply not enough. Why don’t they open up their massive houses as Nightingale Hospitals? I’ll tell you why, because they’re greedy parasites.
      What a load of ********!!! Why should they allow themselves or their families to be put at risk just so small minded people can feel better.

Why doesn't the Queen open Sandringham or Balmoral or Buck House as a hospital? Why don't you suggest The Duke of Devonshire opens Chartsworth as a Nightingale Hospital. Or Sir Paul McCartney? Or Lord Alan Sugar, for example

mdd2
      Been Liked: 1665 times
      Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:42 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
      Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:23 pm
      They do what many of us would do-work and get the best deals they can and hopefully pay a shed load of tax whilst for a short time earning megabucks and are now giving to charities. Not sure why they have to go public on charitable donations. If they do not take pay cuts the taxman will continue to benefit and more than if they take a cut-but then the clubs will suffer.How many safely spaced beds and equipment would you get into their massive houses? May make good maternity suites for those wishing to have water births but not for Corvid-19

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:23 pm

I don't think the above quoted poster, if his previous record is anything to go by, was being serious