UK media & Lockdown

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Re: UK media & Lockdown

Post by AndrewJB » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:46 pm

KateR wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:15 pm
I totally agree.

However, the issue would be will the public agree to this if as they have demonstrated they can not stick to other guidelines, it's like having children, you tell them things and they push the boundaries until you finally do something they are definitely not going to like.

I am in many ways coming around to some of your statements around the public which, I completely disagreed with a year ago, regarding the pubic, I am mystified why it even has to be discussed.
The people I most feel sorry for are young adults, for whom the time goes by slower, and who might crave company of friends or the intimacy of a lover. But the more we adhere to it, the quicker we’ll see a return to more openness.
This user liked this post: KateR

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:49 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:39 pm
Nothing would work, some people would just do what they want & when they wanted, you only have to look at the post regarding a policeman himself admitting there are struggling & don’t have the resources to tackle the problem effectively, you can’t watch all the population every single second, every single minute, every single hour, 24/7, accomplishing it requires an acceptance that’s it’s going to happen & instead of trying prevent the impossible, concentrate efforts towards finding ways to reducing the problem & accept it’s not a problem that’s disappearing anytime soon. Some People will never listen & keep on spreading the virus, the police shouldn’t be tasked with this really, it’s unacceptable that a minority of people are refusing to listen.
You’d be surprised by what communities can achieve. There was a fall in anti-social behaviour in my area, once people began to name and shame. Very often it was parents who discovered what their little darlings were getting up to, and put a stop to it.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:57 pm

AndrewJB wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:49 pm
You’d be surprised by what communities can achieve. There was a fall in anti-social behaviour in my area, once people began to name and shame. Very often it was parents who discovered what their little darlings were getting up to, and put a stop to it.
You’ll stamp out some of it I won’t dispute that, some parents have lost control & the children are in charge, you’ll do anything for an easy life, mum/dad can I have etc? It’s easier to just give in & let the children have their way, less hassle & earache, take it you don’t have any kids.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:29 pm

TsarBomba wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:45 am
I can only speak for London, but there isn’t the Police to respond, to either issue fines or make arrests. There’s not enough cells in London to police a lockdown properly because Police Stations have been sold off. Any reserve that the Police, and the wider public services did have was lost with 10 years of Tory cuts.

We can think up all the ideal scenarios about how we should Police this lockdown, but there just isn’t the resources. We can’t do it effectively. We’ll certainly try, but I can already see it’s not enough. Not remotely.

Not with officers being exposed to Covid like we are, and juggling the huge rise in DV and MH calls.
I feel for you.
We had a similar discussion a few weeks ago when the lockdown started. My daughter is in the police - different area to yourself - but said exactly the same thing as you.
It’s the reality of what is happening on a day to day basis for the police and it’s certainly not just in your area.
The recent fly on the wall 3 parter on the bbc for Staffordshire police said exactly the same thing as you and my daughter was saying.
Police resources cut down to the bone
Police now having to don many different hats because of the cuts / or complete removal of various support services.
Police stations / premises closed
Domestic violence, mental health and drug / alcohol crime through the roof.

You could see the struggle of those on the ground in Staffordshire - from the chief Constable who was crying on camera because of the lack of resources and the pressure he was under every day to balance which crimes they could deal with limited resources to a police woman who said being in the police was all she had ever wanted to do from the age of 8 and after 20 years she was having to leave the job she still loved because of the way policing had gone.

KateR
Been Liked: 1018 times
Has Liked: 6156 times

Post by KateR » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:53 pm

Private jet carrying holidaymakers sent back to UK
A private jet carrying holidaymakers has been sent back to the UK by French police after those on board attempted to reach a villa in Cannes during the lockdown.

Ten people were declined entry into France after arriving at Marseille airport from London last Saturday, French news channel BFMTV reports. There were reportedly three women aged 24 and 27 and seven men aged between 40 and 50 on board. Those on board were of Croatian, German, French, Romanian and Ukrainian nationality.

It's crazy out there in places

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 969 times
Has Liked: 204 times

Post by kentonclaret » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:22 pm

Made a nice sub headline for the Guardian even though they do not appear to have been British nationals.

FRANCE: Police turn back private jet of holidaymakers from UK

Most of the BBC and Sky reporters were scouring Blackpool and Scarborough hoping for a sensational lead story and had ignored the luxury villas in Cannes. :lol:

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1778 times
Has Liked: 1773 times

Post by dougcollins » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:59 pm

Regarding NZ closing their borders.

My nephew flew back from Australia to Manchester last Saturday. Just got off the plane and came home, no tests, no interview, nothing. He was gobsmacked.

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:59 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:57 pm
You’ll stamp out some of it I won’t dispute that, some parents have lost control & the children are in charge, you’ll do anything for an easy life, mum/dad can I have etc? It’s easier to just give in & let the children have their way, less hassle & earache, take it you don’t have any kids.
I’ve got three - the eldest being twenty, so beyond the difficult stage. I’ve never been the strictest parent (certainly never smacked or anything like that), but I think if children are allowed to do whatever they like, you’ve let them down as a parent.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:38 pm

AndrewJB wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:59 pm
I’ve got three - the eldest being twenty, so beyond the difficult stage. I’ve never been the strictest parent (certainly never smacked or anything like that), but I think if children are allowed to do whatever they like, you’ve let them down as a parent.
Kids will behave to a certain degree if allowed a free rein, I’ve allowed smoking pot & drinking alcohol again to a certain degree, providing the children are safe & not over indulging, there’ll do it anyway I’d rather I was informed about it so I can monitor it, there’s no textbook to being a good parent, mine are grown up & independent now & know what’s what, children in some ways are more streetwise than adults & need to explore things for themselves providing no parental rules are abused, you need to be chilled but also at the same time keep a eye on things.

KateR

Post by KateR » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:17 pm

kentonclaret wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:22 pm
Made a nice sub headline for the Guardian even though they do not appear to have been British nationals.

FRANCE: Police turn back private jet of holidaymakers from UK

Most of the BBC and Sky reporters were scouring Blackpool and Scarborough hoping for a sensational lead story and had ignored the luxury villas in Cannes. :lol:
I have just watched an hour ago a BBC World New report from France, a mile outside Calais at a refugee camp, hundred of the refugees lined up squashed together to get food and a drink, no social distancing what so ever. Everyone got a sandwich, that was the one meal a day they said. Some were interviewed, sickness in the camp they said and everyone spoke to according to BBC wanted out and to go to the UK, regardless of what the conditions are in the UK. Numerous still trying to cross, those caught go to quarantine/detention, no idea how many are getting through but as also said people flying back from all over and there are no checks or quarantine, I simply don't understand how this is allowed.

TsarBomba
Been Liked: 1138 times
Has Liked: 288 times

Post by TsarBomba » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:37 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:54 pm
With the way things are & the way things are going, you should be in a position to ignore the DV & MH calls & prioritise the Covid-19, it's impossible for anybody to be in 2 places at once & if there's a lack of resources it as to boil down to which is most important as a overall public concern. It's a sad state of affairs to begin with when the need to police the lockdown is needed with looking at the bigger picture & all the deaths that are occurring as a result, but I understand that's the reality & the police are faced with tough challenges in all manners of criminal activity, at the end of the day you can only do your best & work accordingly to the short resources.
Calls to Police are getting screened heavily prior to them reaching despatch, which is something. Some will be weeded out, but I imagine this is still a marginal amount.

I’ve just finished a late turn today and by 2200, there had been nearly 9000 CAD incidents that needed attention by the Met Police. This is everything from 999 calls, to 101, to requests for Police assistance from other services, to incidents that officers have come across themselves. I imagine by midnight, that number will be up to 11-12000, which is just insane. Most county forces won’t even reach 1000 cad incidents, but then they will have less officers, so I guess it’s relative.

Without wanting to politicise the thread, the last ten years of cut backs to public services have created the perfect storm.

But, and to leave this on a positive note, I’m in absolute awe at the response from the NHS in the face of this crisis. We work with the NHS and in particular the LAS on a daily basis. This past month, they have been nothing but professional and utterly determined to meet this thread head on. They are all heroes, each and every one of them.
These 2 users liked this post: tim_noone longsidepies

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:42 pm

TsarBomba wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:37 pm
Calls to Police are getting screened heavily prior to them reaching despatch, which is something. Some will be weeded out, but I imagine this is still a marginal amount.

I’ve just finished a late turn today and by 2200, there had been nearly 9000 CAD incidents that needed attention by the Met Police. This is everything from 999 calls, to 101, to requests for Police assistance from other services, to incidents that officers have come across themselves. I imagine by midnight, that number will be up to 11-12000, which is just insane. Most county forces won’t even reach 1000 cad incidents, but then they will have less officers, so I guess it’s relative.

Without wanting to politicise the thread, the last ten years of cut backs to public services have created the perfect storm.

But, and to leave this on a positive note, I’m in absolute awe at the response from the NHS in the face of this crisis. We work with the NHS and in particular the LAS on a daily basis. This past month, they have been nothing but professional and utterly determined to meet this thread head on. They are all heroes, each and every one of them.
Just do your best bomba that's all you can do....plus keep safe.

Granny WeatherWax
Been Liked: 711 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:41 am

We still not locked down properly yet? Sigh. It’s certainly been a shocking response from the government, rishi sunak aside.

Siddo
Been Liked: 374 times
Has Liked: 1860 times

Post by Siddo » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:05 am

I read the newspaper reviews on Friday morning on the BBC website. Basically it shows the headlines of every paper.
Not one mention of 938 people dying in one day on any front page.
Plenty about the PM out of ICU, who is the only person in the country to have gone into there with Covid 19 and not be on a ventilator.

Also front page articles on Stanley Johnson, that well respected Covid 19 expert aplenty but nothing on the lack of Ppe in hospitals, GP surgerys, paramedics and care homes.

My lad was seeing patients in London last week in his own clothes and goggles given to his surgery by a local school. His clothes are still in the boot of his car as he dare'nt take them out.

The papers are following party lines for sure.

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:19 am

Quoting Deaths serves no purpose other than instill more fear into the general public at a guess. They've never quoted Britain's daily death rates in "normal" times. Someone will surely have the numbers.
This user liked this post: Burnley Ace

Siddo

Post by Siddo » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:22 am

We "beat" Spain and Italy's worst daily death total yesterday. The Suns headline today is get well babe, from PM to his partner.
Which of these messages is most likely to make people want to stay in?

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:28 am

Siddo wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:22 am
We "beat" Spain and Italy's worst daily death total yesterday. The Suns headline today is get well babe, from PM to his partner.
I think the suns Headlines will most likely want more people to go out. :D
This user liked this post: Siddo

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:32 am

Siddo wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:22 am
If people aren't clear on the social distancing rules by now, or are just choosing to ignore them, a headline in the Sun showing the number of deaths isn't going to change that. There are a minority of selfish wankers around who think they are exempt from the rules.

Siddo

Post by Siddo » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:34 am

5000 people have died this week, plus hundreds more at home and in care homes.
Good Friday Sun Headline, Boris is out ( now that is a Good Friday).
You couldn't make it up!

To be fair Pete, I have always had a downer on Johnson and the press barons on all sides of political persuasion.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:46 am

My grandson is a cook in a Large Care Home in colne.to date there Hasnt been one Death relating to this Disease.just one unrelated in about two months to my knowledge.
These 2 users liked this post: Siddo KateR

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 651 times
Has Liked: 2879 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:26 am

You could double the number of police and triple the number of cells and it still wouldn’t be enough to deal with this.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:51 am

KateR wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:17 pm
I have just watched an hour ago a BBC World New report from France, a mile outside Calais at a refugee camp, hundred of the refugees lined up squashed together to get food and a drink, no social distancing what so ever. Everyone got a sandwich, that was the one meal a day they said. Some were interviewed, sickness in the camp they said and everyone spoke to according to BBC wanted out and to go to the UK, regardless of what the conditions are in the UK. Numerous still trying to cross, those caught go to quarantine/detention, no idea how many are getting through but as also said people flying back from all over and there are no checks or quarantine, I simply don't understand how this is allowed.
Agreed, as a race of people how we have allowed inequality such that we have refugee's living in the squalid conditions they live in whilst often being demonised is shameful.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:13 am

CombatClaret wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:26 am
I am often accused of being in the 'bleeding hearts and artists' category but I cannot see why army personnel cannot be used in areas which would only require minor re-training.

Putting unarmed army personnel under civilian police control essentially makes them policemen. Don't give them the powers to arrest but to respond as a first port of call to see if there is compliance. If a house party refuses to disperse at the request of 4 uniformed squaddies then the next step can be to dispatch police to issue fines/arrest etc.

Same goes for road checks into scenic areas, why can't army personnel be tasked with asking people with canoes to turn around and go home and leave the police to do more important enforcement.
Exactly. Wasn’t suggesting they should wonder the streets wielding assault rifles at people, but I think the sight of Army checkpoints would make it very clear to people that this is a serious situation and the rules need to be respected.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6891 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:02 am

I think the reality is that there is probably a very tiny minority of people who are flouting the rules. Naturally these people make the headlines. Even with stricter measures there would be a minority not conforming.

In places like London’s parks for example, there are photos of people sat in the sun. But the likelihood is in many cases that groups of flat mates have gone for a walk and have decided to take ten minutes rest.

Obviously those who are heading to public places for a day out are in the wrong, but I don’t think sitting on a bench for ten minutes whilst on your walk is unreasonable. This was pointed out by one of the government’s medical advisors in Question Time but wasn’t greeted with a very warm reaction by Brandon Lewis.

jackmiggins
Been Liked: 197 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Post by jackmiggins » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:58 am

As in my original post, the media are desperately scratching around for any kind of headline. The vast majority are just getting on with it and, I believe have resigned themselves to the lockdown. Media is searching out the morons to justify their reporting of the clamour from lockdown release.......truly pathetic.

jackmiggins

Post by jackmiggins » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:03 pm

Footage of ‘crowds’ taken at ground level across a park - result 50 or so people appearing to be close together. In truth, we have folk in supermarket queues standing at least 2m apart, some actually maintain anything up to 10m - that’s a little annoying, but I’m not complaining.

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:09 pm

KateR wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:06 pm
I understand what you are saying, remember my summers of freedom very fondly, but now it will affect them if parents/siblings GF/BF gets it and dies, more importantly in my opinion is if they affect others and continue to spread, NHS have enough to do without this.

The park is London Fields just at the top of Broadway Market in Hackney, a park I know very well and also saw the same park was absolutely full and am sorry but these people are putting many in danger and they should be punished accordingly. Punishment such that it is a deterrent and not force a harder lockdown on the whole nation and as mentioned armed forces on the street, plenty of countries/cities gone that way, this Easter weekend may be the one that pushes it that way.
I imagine London Fields being busier is a consequence of the larger Victoria Park, just down the road, being shut.

I'm not sure whether the reaction would have been as strong if it had been a couple of parents and young children in the picture.

Personally I'm one of those in London with no garden and I can see why people want to get out. I've only been to the park a couple of times and each time, although busy, there weren't groups sitting around so I'm not sure it's as commonplace as some media are suggesting.

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 929 times

Post by CombatClaret » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:24 pm

jackmiggins wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:03 pm
Footage of ‘crowds’ taken at ground level across a park - result 50 or so people appearing to be close together. In truth, we have folk in supermarket queues standing at least 2m apart, some actually maintain anything up to 10m - that’s a little annoying, but I’m not complaining.
The press are deliberately distorting reality by only using long telephoto zoom lenses of crowds.
A lens with a long focal length reduces the field of view which had the effect of 'flattening' or 'compressing' the foreground and background so they appear closer together.
wide-angle-vs-telephoto-lens-16.jpg
wide-angle-vs-telephoto-lens-16.jpg (174.17 KiB) Viewed 2437 times

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:29 pm

I feel to see how someone sitting alone in a park 50 yards away from the nearest person is much of an issue tbh. Not everyone is fortunate enough to have a nice garden at home.
These 2 users liked this post: KateR fatboy47

jackmiggins

Post by jackmiggins » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:48 pm

Excellent representation Combat .....multiply that with a photo in the park, which are the general images being shown.

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1250 times
Has Liked: 1367 times

Post by Elizabeth » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:02 pm

It's a real issue jrg. What, letting the world know you might be a 'Billy no mates'?
I'd rather stay inside.

KateR

Post by KateR » Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:23 pm

aggi wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:09 pm
I imagine London Fields being busier is a consequence of the larger Victoria Park, just down the road, being shut.

I'm not sure whether the reaction would have been as strong if it had been a couple of parents and young children in the picture.

Personally I'm one of those in London with no garden and I can see why people want to get out. I've only been to the park a couple of times and each time, although busy, there weren't groups sitting around so I'm not sure it's as commonplace as some media are suggesting.
I know the area quite well and have been in London Fields and Victoria Park many many times but not this year. Yes if Victoria is closed of course they will go elsewhere, the picture itself was a lift from a video that showed LF Park to be very full, cross section because there were families with young children also. It's obviously very difficult for everyone, no one says it's easy but I think people are the only way this virus spreads so not a lot (any for me) of alternatives that I can see beyond stay at home, social distance and don't go out unless necessary.

KateR

Post by KateR » Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:26 pm

jackmiggins wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:48 pm
Excellent representation Combat .....multiply that with a photo in the park, which are the general images being shown.
appart from the fact they are clearly two different pictures it's an excellent representation indeed.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

KateR

Post by KateR » Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:27 pm

many of you will probably have seen this but I thought I'd post it, if it already somewhere apologies of course not everyone has a garden as already said, which makes it very difficult:
Attachments
Gov-Home.JPG
Gov-Home.JPG (51.54 KiB) Viewed 2315 times

dsr
Been Liked: 4548 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:43 pm

Burnley1989 wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:48 pm
Also spoke to my 85 year old grandad today who has been told on a daily basis he must not leave his house due to his issues to go to the shops, the whole family have waited on him hand and foot. Informed me not to mention it to anyone else in the family but he’d been to the shops for a newspaper and rice pudding today.

I’d been wondering what all the fuss was about people flouting the rules but today made me realise people are still doing it. I’ve been going out for about half an hour a day for a run with the dog and haven’t seen anybody in my friends or family since lockdown, why is it so difficult to follow rules?
You went out of the house for a run, as you do every day, and while on your run you spent time wondering why people who aren't allowed out of the house find it so hard to follow the rules? Think a little harder, and it might come to you.

KateR

Post by KateR » Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:48 pm

tim_noone wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:46 am
My grandson is a cook in a Large Care Home in colne.to date there Hasnt been one Death relating to this Disease.just one unrelated in about two months to my knowledge.
I saw the breakdown, admittedly only for one week regarding deaths in the UK, by Hospital, Care Homes and at home and I was very surprised by how few deaths were on the list outside hospitals, I thought it would be more.

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:36 pm

KateR wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:48 pm
I saw the breakdown, admittedly only for one week regarding deaths in the UK, by Hospital, Care Homes and at home and I was very surprised by how few deaths were on the list outside hospitals, I thought it would be more.
Also I'm aware of 3 people mother and son 60ish and 31 and a Lad in his twenties. From Burnley...All 3 were very ill and followed guidelines to stay at home. All three on the mend despite harrowing accounts of the illness. Dont know about medications taken.

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2274 times
Has Liked: 2153 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:52 pm

dsr wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:43 pm
You went out of the house for a run, as you do every day, and while on your run you spent time wondering why people who aren't allowed out of the house find it so hard to follow the rules? Think a little harder, and it might come to you.
I don’t follow, I didn’t break any rules?

Granny WeatherWax
Been Liked: 711 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:31 pm

More horrific stats. Boris and crew have got this horribly horribly wrong, and yet still no proper lockdown.

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1823 times
Has Liked: 3948 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:44 pm

tim_noone wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:19 am
Quoting Deaths serves no purpose other than instill more fear into the general public at a guess. They've never quoted Britain's daily death rates in "normal" times. Someone will surely have the numbers.
I agree with your point entirely. There are approx 1,500 / 1,600 deaths per day on average in the UK just to give it some context.
It's sensible in one respect to give the 700 or 900 figure in order to hammer home the message that this is serious and people should follow rules, but I also think that a lot of people would feel less anxious if they knew what the average daily death rate was in normal times.

KateR

Post by KateR » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:56 pm

to give context or to muddy the waters, UK late 2019 was being reported as having a high death rate compared to other years in the UK and attributed to the flu.

The US 2017 had an average of 7,708 deaths occurred each day. January, February, and December were the months with the highest average daily number of deaths (8,478, 8,351, and 8,344, respectively). June, July, and August were the months with the lowest average daily number of deaths (7,298, 7,157, and 7,158, respectively). So basically if you were to be very literal you could say the UK daily death is a fifth of the US but I don't believe it's that simple.

I believe in the end death rate per population will be part of the reviews but in reality not a great measurement, I think densely populated areas are more meaningful though, NY versus London or maybe a similar but to many variables to be able to pinpoint who is best, worst, we are all in trouble. For me the death rate provides a metric to whether rising, flattening or reducing

dsr

Post by dsr » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:21 pm

Burnley1989 wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:52 pm
I don’t follow, I didn’t break any rules?
I'll spell it out. The rules are this: Burnley1989 is allowed to go for a run every day. Burnley1989's grandad is not allowed to leave the house at all.

Which is the easier rule to follow - the one that says you can stay in or go out at your discretion, or the one that says you must stay in?

KateR

Post by KateR » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:20 pm

I thought this was interesting in terms of how we learn

Nothing, Defoe writes regarding the plague, “was more fatal to the inhabitants of this city than the supine negligence of the people themselves, who, during the long notice or warning they had of the visitation, made no provision for it by laying in store of provisions, or of other necessaries, by which they might have lived retired and within their own houses, as I have observed others did, and who were in a great measure preserved by that caution…”

Katherine Anne Porter’s description of the devastation created by the Spanish flu in her 1939 novel Pale Horse, Pale Rider feels familiar: “It’s as bad as anything can be... all the theatres and nearly all the shops and restaurants are closed, and the streets have been full of funerals all day and ambulances all night”, heroine Miranda’s friend Adam tells her shortly after she is diagnosed with influenza.

What makes pandemic fiction so engaging is that humans are joined together in the fight against an enemy that is not a human enemy. There are no ‘good guys’ or ‘bad guys’; the situation is more nuanced. Each character has an equal chance to survive or not. The range of individual responses to dire circumstances makes intriguing grist for the novelist – and the reader.

Twenty-first Century epidemics – Sars in 2002, Mers in 2012, Ebola in 2014 – have inspired novels about post-plague desolation and breakdown, deserted cities and devastated landscapes.

Probably quite a few holed up, taking the time to write novels and screen plays, etc. so we can all read and watch later, and relate in some way to events as we see them.

KateR

Post by KateR » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:32 pm

Earlier I had read how well the response was going from British people who were out of work or furloughed in response to the need to help farms, etc. in work/picking crops etc. Then I just came across this one which really surprises me, why in this week would this be allowed, I know we have to ease out of the lockdown at some point but this just sounds and feels so wrong.

Eastern European farm workers are being flown to the UK on charter flights to pick fruit and vegetable crops. Air Charter Service has told the BBC that the first flight will land on Thursday in Stansted carrying 150 Romanian farm workers. The firm told the BBC that the plane is the first of up to six set to operate between mid-April and the end of June. The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) has not yet responded to a request for comment.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:08 pm

dsr

Post by dsr » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:13 pm

KateR wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:32 pm
Earlier I had read how well the response was going from British people who were out of work or furloughed in response to the need to help farms, etc. in work/picking crops etc. Then I just came across this one which really surprises me, why in this week would this be allowed, I know we have to ease out of the lockdown at some point but this just sounds and feels so wrong.

Eastern European farm workers are being flown to the UK on charter flights to pick fruit and vegetable crops. Air Charter Service has told the BBC that the first flight will land on Thursday in Stansted carrying 150 Romanian farm workers. The firm told the BBC that the plane is the first of up to six set to operate between mid-April and the end of June. The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) has not yet responded to a request for comment.
I don't think it really matters about people flying in now. It might matter for a country that hasn't got much coronavirus, that they don't want people coming in from areas where it's prevalent. But if it's already prevalent here - which obviously it is - then will it make things much worse if a new case or several arrives before going into the same rules as the rest of us?

KateR

Post by KateR » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:15 pm

interest dsr, so basically no problem letting people out then and mingling, it's kind of a very slow relaxation of the lockdown in reality the way I look at it and I think it's at least 3 weeks to early, just not sure how it computes and what the rules are, travel from airport etc. etc. but just differences in opinion.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:43 am

Granny WeatherWax wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:02 am
Because that’s what it is going to take. Look at China Italy Spain etc. We’ve not enough police to crack down on the retards who keep playing the rules.

Lock us in, give us slots when we can go for shopping, only 1 adult allowed in a car etc, unfortunately that’s what is needed.
It's working fine as it is. We are not just battling a bloody virus here we are battling people's mental health in many cases. The media are right to keep questioning when the lockdown will ease and we should all be asking the same question. The system as it is at the moment has not impacted on me too much (other than not being able to go on holiday in May, which I can tolerate) but to many it is a lving nightmare. The other thing to remember is the government need people to be onside on this and the longer it stays as it is the easier it is to do so. How long do you think it would be if they refused excercise before people started saying the the prevention is worse than the bloody disease and defying the rules and that would lead to civil disorder. Remember that 60-odd million peole are being told to stay indoors for a disease that the government says itself will hardly affect the overwhelming majority of people. Common sense in keeping our distance is all that is required and the government says our policy is working, why in hell would you want to make people even more miserable? As for the easing of lockdown that isn't going to happen overnight, it will be very gradual and monitered. What will most likely happen is that other lockdowns may be necesarry if the figures go up.
I suspect the ones who are calling for complete lockdown are people with nice big gardens and an income that doesn't require them to actually go out to work. The very last thing this country needs right now is a complete lockdown.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:59 am

Siddo wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:34 am
5000 people have died this week, plus hundreds more at home and in care homes.
Good Friday Sun Headline, Boris is out ( now that is a Good Friday).
You couldn't make it up!

To be fair Pete, I have always had a downer on Johnson and the press barons on all sides of political persuasion.
I'm not criticising Boris over his handling of the crisis, as a socialist myself I admit he and the government are doing a decent job, in my humble opinion. But little seems to have been made of the fact that people with second homes have been told not to go to them while old Bos has cleared off to his country pile at Chequers, complete with it's dozens of rooms and 100s of acres of private grounds. Now I'm not being too critical here but does anyone else sniff a slight whff of one rule for one etc?

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:22 am

houseboy wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:59 am
I'm not criticising Boris over his handling of the crisis, as a socialist myself I admit he and the government are doing a decent job, in my humble opinion. But little seems to have been made of the fact that people with second homes have been told not to go to them while old Bos has cleared off to his country pile at Chequers, complete with it's dozens of rooms and 100s of acres of private grounds. Now I'm not being too critical here but does anyone else sniff a slight whff of one rule for one etc?
The Queen and Prince Charles had already buggered off to their second homes so it's not a new thing.