Ightenhill Park Lane ?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ceborame
Been Liked: 88 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Ightenhill Park Lane ?

Post by ceborame » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:05 am

Hi,

I think I read on here some time last week that the footpath/bridleway down to the wooden bridge has been closed off, due to the virus. Can anybody confirm that it is still closed today. I am hoping to get out on my mountain bike this afternoon.

Many thanks

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3844 times
Has Liked: 2066 times

Re: Ightenhill Park Lane ?

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:33 am

I think they reopened it.

A Gate had been locked on the Padiham side of the bridge to prevent cars going down but bikes and walkers could pass at the side.
Last edited by Quickenthetempo on Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
These 2 users liked this post: ceborame randomclaret2

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2742 times
Has Liked: 4314 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:38 am

How big are the cats round there ?
These 2 users liked this post: jrgbfc Quickenthetempo

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:42 am

randomclaret2 wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:38 am
How big are the cats round there ?
Tiger King was filmed there

ceborame

Post by ceborame » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:43 am

Thanks, I saw a sign mentioning Covid19 last time I was down there but the side gate was open. I'll give it a go and hopefully I don't have to cycle back up the hill !!

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:52 am

ceborame wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:05 am
Hi,

I think I read on here some time last week that the footpath/bridleway down to the wooden bridge has been closed off, due to the virus. Can anybody confirm that it is still closed today. I am hoping to get out on my mountain bike this afternoon.

Many thanks
Fully open for the big loop round walk, I did ot Tuesday.
Lovely weather for it, and there were some lovely wildlife to be seen
This user liked this post: ceborame

Enty1974
Been Liked: 25 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by Enty1974 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:24 am

Its not shut i went down yday

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:39 am

It has been. Ma Beamish uses it almost every day for a walk. It appears the Landowner took it upon himself to close the field for “Coronavirus” reasons, claiming a right to do so that he didn’t actually have. It was closed for only a day.

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:40 am

Lord Beamish wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:39 am
It has been. Ma Beamish uses it almost every day for a walk. It appears the Landowner took it upon himself to close the field for “Coronavirus” reasons, claiming a right to do so that he didn’t actually have. It was closed for only a day.

The landowner sounds like he has a holiday home in Barley
This user liked this post: Lord Beamish

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:43 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:40 am
The landowner sounds like he has a holiday home in Barley
I’m told he’s subset been personally harassing walkers in the field. I’ve told Ma Beamish not to engage him should he do it with her. He sounds a bit unhinged.

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:44 am

Lord Beamish wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:43 am
I’m told he’s subset been personally harassing walkers in the field. I’ve told Ma Beamish not to engage him should he do it with her. He sounds a bit unhinged.
Probably only harasses the ones highly unlikely to challenge him as well

CleggHall
Been Liked: 838 times
Has Liked: 1044 times

Post by CleggHall » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:51 am

Get orff my land! :D

ceborame

Post by ceborame » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:40 am

MACCA wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:52 am
Fully open for the big loop round walk, I did ot Tuesday.
Lovely weather for it, and there were some lovely wildlife to be seen
Hi Macca

Is your big loop same as mine ?

down ightenhill lane
over wooden bridge
into padiham
get onto the padiham greenway
onto the canal at the top
down canal to gannow roundabout
and then through the subways to tim bobbin

It's about 7 miles

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:16 pm

ceborame wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:40 am
Hi Macca

down ightenhill lane
over wooden bridge
into padiham

It's about 7 miles
No we dont get back on the canal, either up pad road through Gawthorpe or back of car wash on Oad Road, but will certainly try your route.

Just about to set off on a walk in 15 mins.
On the canal at Gannow, to hapton, off there down to padiham then back up through gawthope onto park lane, and back home.

A good few hours will a call past friends for a wave and across the drive quick chat

We also do on canal at ighten road, right through to barden mill, then back up through crow wood, can add some miles on going past sewage works back though to the first bridge back up through park Lane way.

Csnt beat a good long walk in fresh air looking at our amazing wildlife and country side

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:22 pm

ceborame wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:40 am
Hi Macca

down ightenhill lane
over wooden bridge
into padiham

It's about 7 miles
I sometimes do that route starting from Padiham leisure centre area of greenway.

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:50 pm

Whether people think this is right or wrong this is also happening in Wvcoller and Trawden with illegal "Footpath Closed " signs going up to keep people from going through.. For me personally,I respected their signs,but I know a lot of people are unhappy with them going up and have just carried on with their walks.Suppose it's up to the individuals.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (297.32 KiB) Viewed 2450 times

ChorltonCharlie
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 75 times

Post by ChorltonCharlie » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:11 pm

It’s a tricky situation at the moment. There seems to be certain communities in tourist hotspots who think they can make their village off limits. This is wrong, and it’s much more important that people follow social distancing guidelines/laws than we start shutting places. I’m not sure exactly what it looks like, but I hear that Wycoller has signs up telling people they aren’t allowed in the village. The thing is though there’s absolutely no reason why walkers, runners and cyclists from nearby areas such as Laneshawbridge, Trawden and Colne can’t use the roads and paths through Wycoller as long as they haven’t driven there.

Off road is another delicate situation. In theory off road public rights of way would be quieter in many non-tourist areas of the country than exercising in streets, so that’s a plus point. But off road also usually means using your hands to open gates, go over styles, etc. So there’s added risk there both to landowners and other users of the path. Legally, public rights of way have to still be available, however there is rules in place that landowners can offer alternative routes and use signs to warn against the dangers of coronavirus. More and more landowners are choosing to close rights of way with some claiming this is on advice from the police. If that’s true the police are misguided and shouldn’t be telling them that. Some landowners are just doing it off their own back, and there is public opinion that this is reasonable if trying to protect their self and their families, and sod the law. For me, I think we’re in extraordinary times. If a landowner has (illegally) closed their paths, but you know the path includes, styles, gates, etc then I think people should be respectful and try and use places with lower risk for their exercise.

It’s very tough, but as I’ve seen in media opinion pieces from some, maybe we all need just respect that we’re all doing the best we can for ourselves and our families and mistakes will be made. As long as their made for good reasons that should be the important thing.

Enty1974
Been Liked: 25 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by Enty1974 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:28 pm

Been again just now

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:50 pm

A lot of public footpaths go through fields that are lambing or through farmyards themselves.

I can certainly understand farmers concerns and if they have to self isolate on a big scale the food/milk chain could come under immense pressure.

Fenwick
Been Liked: 202 times
Has Liked: 128 times

Post by Fenwick » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:06 pm

conyoviejo wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:50 pm
Whether people think this is right or wrong this is also happening in Wvcoller and Trawden with illegal "Footpath Closed " signs going up to keep people from going through.. For me personally,I respected their signs,but I know a lot of people are unhappy with them going up and have just carried on with their walks.Suppose it's up to the individuals.
The owner of that farm is a bit like that anyway !

turbo5
Been Liked: 113 times
Has Liked: 164 times

Post by turbo5 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:47 pm

On the Ightenhill /Padiham cycleway the farmer went public on one of the FB community pages for the area telling people he had shut the path to the River Calder from Ightenhill park lane and also the path to Higham and towards the duck pits.
His reason given stated it isn't a public right of way and he was doing it to protect his family from the virus and people from loitering around the bridge and river. Obviously a lot of backlash from the locals who use this route as their daily walk.plus a few of his supporters/friends saying they understand he is only trying to protect his family and farm. (This was just after the Pendle hill mass invasion the previous week)
A few facts. it is a public right of way, its part of the Bronte way Burnley way , Ightenhill Padiham cycle way and a bridle way. What he did was illegal and put people at more risk from catching the virus climbing over his barracades. In fact if anybody would have been hurt climbing over his baracades they could have claimed from him.
The footpath /bridelway goes through a field not his farm buildings. (about 400 metres away) the field is fenced off from the footpath so to get into his fields you would have to climb over the fence. He doesnt live at the farm infact he lives about 2 miles away and the entire population of Ightenhill would be more at risk than him or his family. The only person who lives nearby is not a farmer. It is nt the very big house you see from the footpath that is some sort of weekend party house that you can book online , its popular with hen parties etc (swimming pool)
He was reported to the police and lancashire county council and they have been removed. not before he was crying about criminal damage to his baracades because they had been tampered with.
Unsure of the true reason why he did it , perhaps it was revenge on the residents in the area for objecting to the yearly drop the beat festival on his land and farm buildings . Next one planned this August.
Whilst I understand he didn't want a Pendle hill type invasion , it was never going to happen down there, its just not that popular.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:20 pm

In short he's an arse hole with an axe to grind.
He complains every year, often stating he will shoot dogs off a lead on the public foot path..

The timing of the covid outbreak is just a timely excuse he can use for this years whine, threats, and silliness.

He is full of shite, and a liar.

His sheep are about 200 yards away from the footpath in a seperate field, the fences that seperate the footpath have bug holes in, the streams are all broken etc, yet he claims his livestock are in danger and his top priority.

If that's the case, fix up "your fences and gates" first then you might have a slight case.

Oh and get a litter bin or 2 either side whilst you're at it.
A dog waste bin would also be handy then I dont have to keep trying to hammer throw it into your hot tub ( joke )
This user liked this post: turbo5