Froch v Kessler 1 & 2 on sky sports mix

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
barba
Been Liked: 100 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Froch v Kessler 1 & 2 on sky sports mix

Post by barba » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:32 pm

On now

Socrates
Been Liked: 912 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Re: Froch v Kessler 1 & 2 on sky sports mix

Post by Socrates » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:42 pm

I went to both these fights.

The first one in Herning was crazy. Only about 200 Brits there at the most, a strange place to have the fight as Herning was basically Chorley with a big arena. The Danes were brilliant all day until the ring walks started and then the atmosphere turned dramatically - I remember turning to a pal and saying I wasn’t bothered if Froch won, I just wanted to get out of their safe.

Two brilliant fights. Well matched, tough men going at it for 24 fantastic rounds.
This user liked this post: LAM

barba
Been Liked: 100 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by barba » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:46 pm

Wow great memories.

Winstonswhite
Been Liked: 608 times
Has Liked: 311 times

Post by Winstonswhite » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:49 pm

Used to love watching Froch.

Might be wrong but he never seemed to dodge a fight. Even going over to the US to fight in the Super Six thing

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2293 times
Has Liked: 2166 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:31 pm

Wasn’t a fan of Froch until the last 3-4 years of his career, but have huge respect for him, one of Britain’s toughest boxers.

In my opinion, 100% wouldn’t have got anywhere near Joe Calzaghe

SammyBoy
Been Liked: 469 times
Has Liked: 434 times

Post by SammyBoy » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:04 pm

Frock is in my top 3 all time favourite boxers. Ducked nobody and was always in entertaining fights, had an iron chin as well!

Burnley1989

Post by Burnley1989 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:04 am

SammyBoy wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:04 pm
Frock is in my top 3 all time favourite boxers. Ducked nobody and was always in entertaining fights, had an iron chin as well!
I know you like your boxing Sammy, but do you think he’d have beat Joe?

Called him out again this week, a little. Joe lost his dad & mum and is struggling and I’d hate to see him try at nearly 50. He’s nothing to prove in my eyes.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:29 am

Burnley1989 wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:04 am

Called him out again this week, a little. Joe lost his dad & mum and is struggling and I’d hate to see him try at nearly 50. He’s nothing to prove in my eyes.
Not sure what Froch's problem is, insulting Calzaghe for no reason. Would love to see Calzaghe beat the crap out of him, to me Froch has always come across as extremely arrogant and unlikeable.

Burnley1989

Post by Burnley1989 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:57 am

jrgbfc wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:29 am
Not sure what Froch's problem is, insulting Calzaghe for no reason. Would love to see Calzaghe beat the crap out of him, to me Froch has always come across as extremely arrogant and unlikeable.
I just can’t take to him, absolute dick head. I understand it with boxers to cause controversy but he’s retired

SammyBoy
Been Liked: 469 times
Has Liked: 434 times

Post by SammyBoy » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:53 am

Burnley1989 wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:04 am

Calzaghe would probably have beaten Froch if I'm being perfectly honest, but if you ask me who's career I enjoyed the most then it's Froch's by a long shot. I just felt like Calzaghe played it way too safe, and the way Froch tested himself consistently against the best his division had to offer seriously impressed me - Jean Pascal, Jermain Taylor, Andre Dirrell, Andre Ward, Mikkel Kessler, Lucian Bute, Arthur Abraham, George Groves etc.

If you look at it, after Calzaghe beat a past his prime Eubank to become champ, and established himself with the defence against Robin Reid he basically fought nobody of note until Jeff Lacy seven years later (who turned out to be crap really). After that he admittedly had a good win again Kessler, and Hopkins still had a fair bit to offer, but Roy Jones Jr was a shadow of his former self by the time they fought. I think he only fought outside the UK three times as well, whereas Froch was constantly on the road taking on all comers.

To be honest I just feel a bit frustrated when I think about Calzaghe's career, he was a great boxer no doubt about it but I think his legacy could've been even better. Similarly, when Froch was at the twilight of his career he gave the up and coming British kid George Groves his shot, which is an opportunity Calzaghe never afforded him.

fanzone
Been Liked: 228 times
Has Liked: 65 times

Post by fanzone » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:25 pm

SammyBoy wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:53 am
Calzaghe would probably have beaten Froch if I'm being perfectly honest, but if you ask me who's career I enjoyed the most then it's Froch's by a long shot. I just felt like Calzaghe played it way too safe, and the way Froch tested himself consistently against the best his division had to offer seriously impressed me - Jean Pascal, Jermain Taylor, Andre Dirrell, Andre Ward, Mikkel Kessler, Lucian Bute, Arthur Abraham, George Groves etc.

If you look at it, after Calzaghe beat a past his prime Eubank to become champ, and established himself with the defence against Robin Reid he basically fought nobody of note until Jeff Lacy seven years later (who turned out to be crap really). After that he admittedly had a good win again Kessler, and Hopkins still had a fair bit to offer, but Roy Jones Jr was a shadow of his former self by the time they fought. I think he only fought outside the UK three times as well, whereas Froch was constantly on the road taking on all comers.

To be honest I just feel a bit frustrated when I think about Calzaghe's career, he was a great boxer no doubt about it but I think his legacy could've been even better. Similarly, when Froch was at the twilight of his career he gave the up and coming British kid George Groves his shot, which is an opportunity Calzaghe never afforded him.
Absolutely spot on.