Matt Hancock

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
NewClaret
Been Liked: 3109 times
Has Liked: 3827 times

Re: Matt Hancock

Post by NewClaret » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:11 am

taio wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:54 am
No I don't agree. Which is why it's important PPE is used in accordance with the guidance so supplies don't become even more stretched.
My wife’s a nurse. Has PPE. No shortages or issues.

Think you have to acknowledge that we’re in unprecedented times and some isolated shortages will exist, which is completely wrong. There are also medical professionals intent on politicising the situation, which I find equally abhorrent.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3109 times
Has Liked: 3827 times

Post by NewClaret » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:11 am

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:09 am
Are you being serious?
Yes. I’ve not noticed any of our public services being screwed?

Firthy
Been Liked: 1613 times
Has Liked: 277 times

Post by Firthy » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:12 am

HunterST_BFC wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:43 am
This guy is an idiot.
Why do people believe anything he says?
Stick to Spot The Ball. You're much better at that. :roll:
This user liked this post: tim_noone

taio
Been Liked: 3244 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:14 am

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:10 am
So how is Matt Hancock stating we have enough to go around the right thing to say?

He could have made a point about the use of PPE in a completely different context that wouldn't have any implication the reason why we have a shortage is because of how NHS staff are using it
Well for a start it's not just NHS staff. There are about 26,000 CQC registered providers of social care. There would be enough PPE if everyone used in accordance with the guidance. It's an important message to give. I've spoken with many health and social care colleagues and the vast majority agree it is imperative PPE is used appropriately to ensure adequate supply and stock.
This user liked this post: Top Claret

taio

Post by taio » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:17 am

NewClaret wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:11 am
My wife’s a nurse. Has PPE. No shortages or issues.

Think you have to acknowledge that we’re in unprecedented times and some isolated shortages will exist, which is completely wrong. There are also medical professionals intent on politicising the situation, which I find equally abhorrent.
My wife is a nurse too and works in acute medicine at a hospital and is nursing COVID+ patients on a daily basis. She hasn't experienced any lack of PPE. I work for the NHS too but in a non-clinical role. I agree.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:23 am

taio wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:14 am
Well for a start it's not just NHS staff. There are about 26,000 CQC registered providers of social care. There would be enough PPE if everyone used in accordance with the guidance. It's an important message to give. I've spoken with many health and social care colleagues and the vast majority agree it is imperative PPE is used appropriately to ensure adequate supply and stock.
I appreciate there is more groups of people but trying to keep my posts more succinct. So you think there is enough PPE to go around if used in line with guidelines.

I think that is absolute boll*cks but I clearly know your view on the matter. I have my thoughts on why you take the position you do and Im sure you think similar of my views so not much more to discuss without going round in circles

TVC15
Been Liked: 3322 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:27 am

My wife is a nurse and they have a PPE shortage.
I’m not sure the care homes, RCN, and other medical professional bodies who are on the news every day are trying to score political points by highlighting the PPE shortages.
Of course the situation is improving in terms of PPE and logistically it was a massive task but many many nurses, doctors and other staff will have been exposed to risk during the last 5 or 6 weeks.

Pimlico_Claret
Been Liked: 614 times
Has Liked: 680 times

Post by Pimlico_Claret » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:28 am

My brother works in sterilization at a major local hospital and there are shortages, unfortunately.

MT03ALG
Been Liked: 429 times
Has Liked: 4566 times

Post by MT03ALG » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:28 am

Matt Hancock is a typical British politician. He speaks about putting things into action then fails to act. Actions speak louder than words but unfortunately in the UK this is not the case !!

taio

Post by taio » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:28 am

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:23 am
I appreciate there is more groups of people but trying to keep my posts more succinct. So you think there is enough PPE to go around if used in line with guidelines.

I think that is absolute boll*cks but I clearly know your view on the matter. I have my thoughts on why you take the position you do and Im sure you think similar of my views so not much more to discuss without going round in circles
Yes I do. You clearly think I'm saying it for political reasons. I'm not. It's professional reasons. I've consistently said PPE is a major issue. Appropriate use in crucial. If you disagree with that you are disagreeing with Trusts and local authorities up and down the country...from a weak position.

taio

Post by taio » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:29 am

TVC15 wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:27 am
My wife is a nurse and they have a PPE shortage.
I’m not sure the care homes, RCN, and other medical professional bodies who are on the news every day are trying to score political points by highlighting the PPE shortages.
Of course the situation is improving in terms of PPE and logistically it was a massive task but many many nurses, doctors and other staff will have been exposed to risk during the last 5 or 6 weeks.
There are definitely shortages.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:31 am

taio wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:28 am
Yes I do. You clearly think I'm saying it for political reasons. I'm not. It's professional reasons. I've consistently said PPE is a major issue. Appropriate use in crucial. If you disagree with that you are disagreeing with Trusts and local authorities up and down the country...from a weak position.
By the same token Im agreeing with plenty of Doctors and Nurses and the British Medical Association.

Its obviously getting better all the time which is a good thing so more and more areas will be ok but that doesn't mean that there are not real shortages still in some places

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:31 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52252470

"NHS staff still do not have the protective equipment they need to treat coronavirus patients, medics have said.

The British Medical Association (BMA) said doctors were putting their lives at risk by working without adequate protection."

taio

Post by taio » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:32 am

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:31 am
By the same token Im agreeing with plenty of Doctors and Nurses and the British Medical Association.

Its obviously getting better all the time which is a good thing so more and more areas will be ok but that doesn't mean that there are not real shortages still in some places
I agree there are shortages which is why supplies should be used in accordance with the clear guidance

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2107 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:35 am

Bloody snowflake doctors and nurses, telling it how it really is working on the frontline.
These 2 users liked this post: Pimlico_Claret evensteadiereddie

taio

Post by taio » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:36 am

jrgbfc wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:35 am
Bloody snowflake doctors and nurses, telling it how it really is working on the frontline.
I dont think anyone here is saying PPE isn't a major issue and there aren't shortages in some settings.
Last edited by taio on Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:36 am

taio wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:29 am
There are definitely shortages.
It’s likely the real damage was done in the early days when there was an acute lack of PPE.
I know of at least one big private care home in Burnley that is going through a horrible time. All the residents have the virus, some have died and members of staff have also died. They had virtually no PPE for weeks.
I doubt whether that is an isolated case in that sector and I believe that if specific statistics came out for the care home sector it would be a big shock to many.
I believe that this has also been the case in Italian and Spanish care home facilities.

I accept that the homes are full of vulnerable and elderly people most at risk and I’m not trying to politicise this. I just think it’s a lot worse than being reported and it is of course heartbreakingly sad for everyone involved - including the staff having to see / deal with this

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:37 am

taio wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:32 am
I agree there are shortages which is why supplies should be used in accordance with the clear guidance
Look in truth we're probably not that far apart in our view of whats happening on the ground and whats needed.

Our real bone of contention is more around Hancock's comments. I thought they were really ill judged and will do more damage than good whereas if ive understood you correctly you think it was an important message that needed delivering at the level it was and will make a positive difference

Pimlico_Claret

Post by Pimlico_Claret » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:39 am

taio wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:36 am
I dont think anyone here is saying PPE isn't a major issue and there aren't shortages in some settings.
There are some on here saying exactly that, experts of course, sat safely in their bedrooms, unable to criticise Dyche's tactics and Hendrick's performance , so they find something else.

taio

Post by taio » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:40 am

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:37 am
Look in truth we're probably not that far apart in our view of whats happening on the ground and whats needed.

Our real bone of contention is more around Hancock's comments. I thought they were really ill judged and will do more damage than good whereas if ive understood you correctly you think it was an important message that needed delivering at the level it was and will make a positive difference
Yes we are only disagreeing on what Hancock said for the reasons you say. Let's agree to disagree and leave it there.
This user liked this post: Devils_Advocate

taio

Post by taio » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:43 am

Pimlico_Claret wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:39 am
There are some on here saying exactly that, experts of course, sat safely in their bedrooms, unable to criticise Dyche's tactics and Hendrick's performance , so they find something else.
I haven't seen those but I haven't been on here that much of late because I've been rather busy at work with what's going on. Anyone who says there hasn't been a major issue with PPE supply is plain wrong and clueless.

Coeus
Been Liked: 63 times
Has Liked: 10 times

Post by Coeus » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:49 am

If it was up to me I would have replaced Hancock a couple of weeks ago. In one update I recall he said along lines he “was even more determined ....”
Now just take a moment to think about that.

Firthy

Post by Firthy » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:53 am

MT03ALG wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:28 am
Matt Hancock is a typical British politician. He speaks about putting things into action then fails to act. Actions speak louder than words but unfortunately in the UK this is not the case !!
They are actioning things like manufacturing PPE equipment but the supply can't meet the demand. Who the hell would want to be a politician at a time like this, they are damned if they do and damned if they don't. IMO the government are doing a good job in very difficult times.

There will be many lives lost,many businesses and charities go under and many jobs lost because of the pandemic. It isn't the governments fault, it is what it is. There will be people looking to blame the government when things start to get back to normal for various reasons but there isn't a magic wand to make everything better or a bottomless pit of money to support every business and charity.

It's been so nice to see the support for the NHS staff, binmen etc. by the general public, I just wish we could show some support for the government in the same way. I certainly wouldn't want to be in Matt Hancocks shoes at this time and I for one appreciate the efforts that him and the rest of government are doing for us at present.

taio

Post by taio » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:53 am

"You may have seen an article in today’s Lancashire Telegraph about PPE equipment and the confirmation that we do currently have sufficient stock.  As you know, this is a moving feast and we are using significant amounts of PPE. Whilst I have every confidence in our stock levels and I am pleased that across Lancashire and South Cumbria we are operating an effective mutual aid approach, I must ask that you use the equipment in line with PHE guidance; use it appropriately and do not waste it. Your safety is my priority and it is essential that you and your colleagues have access to the right PPE equipment at the right time.  There is some useful advice on the do’s and don’ts of PPE on our sharepoint site. Do take a look."

Chief Executive, East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust, 10/04/20

Pimlico_Claret

Post by Pimlico_Claret » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:03 pm

Firthy wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:53 am
They are actioning things like manufacturing PPE equipment but the supply can't meet the demand. Who the hell would want to be a politician at a time like this, they are damned if they do and damned if they don't. IMO the government are doing a good job in very difficult times.

There will be many lives lost,many businesses and charities go under and many jobs lost because of the pandemic. It isn't the governments fault, it is what it is. There will be people looking to blame the government when things start to get back to normal for various reasons but there isn't a magic wand to make everything better or a bottomless pit of money to support every business and charity.

It's been so nice to see the support for the NHS staff, binmen etc. by the general public, I just wish we could show some support for the government in the same way. I certainly wouldn't want to be in Matt Hancocks shoes at this time and I for one appreciate the efforts that him and the rest of government are doing for us at present.
How about don't stand for public office if you can't handle a crisis. What a shame they haven't had 5 years of doing sweet FA whilst pocketing a fortune.

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:06 pm

Reading through that it appears as the same old lefty loons are out of the aselymn, trying to score political points over a Tory government.

Seems like their is plenty off PPE about by reading the comments from the people who don't have a political agenda. The health secatary should be commended in the job he is doing and be given the full support of the nation

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:17 pm

Who’d have thought that in the time of an unprecedented global pandemic that supply of the stuff needed would be short.

PPE is clearly an issue and we need to do whatever we can to resolve it but the harsh reality is that there isn’t warehouses just full of it, sat idle, it’s that they can’t produce it quick enough to keep up with demand.

I read somewhere about hand Sanitiser and how usual global production is something like 3 billion litres per year but we now need that per month and so 12 times more annually. It’s not that easy to scale production by 3,500%!

These are the harsh realities and I don’t envy those that are having to deal with the issues.

Firthy

Post by Firthy » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:21 pm

Pimlico_Claret wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:03 pm
How about don't stand for public office if you can't handle a crisis. What a shame they haven't had 5 years of doing sweet FA whilst pocketing a fortune.
I bet you love Dwight McNeil :shock: :lol:

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6386 times
Has Liked: 8733 times

Post by IanMcL » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:25 pm

Hundreds of doctors are avoiding working extra hours in the NHS's coronavirus battle because they've lost death-in-service benefits amid pensions row and freelance contracts.

Hundreds of doctors say they are avoiding work with coronavirus patients because they fear their family won't be compensated if they catch the disease and die.

Some 350 respondents to a survey by the Doctors' Association UK said they were less willing to work in high risk areas or increase their hours amid the coronavirus crisis.
The lump sum is only available to those who are members of the NHS pension scheme, which has been shunned by many doctors amid an ongoing tax row.

It may also be unavailable in full to locum doctors, who work freelance, or to the more than 2,660 medics who have come out of retirement to work in the crisis.

The concerns follow the deaths of two NHS staff, Adil El Tayar, 63, and Amged El-Hawrani, 55, and a suspected third. 

The tragic news add more pressure on the Government to provide protective clothing (PPE) for frontline workers, including face masks and eye protectors. 

For weeks, staff say they have been forced to care for COVID-19 patients without wearing adequate protection, leaving them at risk of catching the infection or passing it to other patients in hospital.

NHS staff, who are not being tested for the coronavirus and who say they don't have enough protective equipment, have been putting themselves in danger for weeks. 

Now, The Guardian reports that hundreds are put off taking on extra work to fight the pandemic because they fear their families won't be compensated if they catch the disease and die.

The survey was done by the Doctors' Association UK (DAUK), an NHS lobbying group. It is not clear how many health workers were questioned in total.

More than 350 respondents said they were less likely to work in high-risk areas or increase their hours or return to service because they were not entitled to death-in-service benefits.

Forty people indicated they had declined to change their hours and working patterns because of this.

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Post by Elizabeth » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:33 pm

Anyone have any useful information on what would be this inappropriate use of PPE that is causing NHS staff to be reminded when to use it properly?

arise_sir_charge

Post by arise_sir_charge » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:36 pm

IanMcL wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:25 pm
Hundreds of doctors are avoiding working extra hours in the NHS's coronavirus battle because they've lost death-in-service benefits amid pensions row and freelance contracts.

Hundreds of doctors say they are avoiding work with coronavirus patients because they fear their family won't be compensated if they catch the disease and die.

Some 350 respondents to a survey by the Doctors' Association UK said they were less willing to work in high risk areas or increase their hours amid the coronavirus crisis.
The lump sum is only available to those who are members of the NHS pension scheme, which has been shunned by many doctors amid an ongoing tax row.

It may also be unavailable in full to locum doctors, who work freelance, or to the more than 2,660 medics who have come out of retirement to work in the crisis.

The concerns follow the deaths of two NHS staff, Adil El Tayar, 63, and Amged El-Hawrani, 55, and a suspected third. 

The tragic news add more pressure on the Government to provide protective clothing (PPE) for frontline workers, including face masks and eye protectors. 

For weeks, staff say they have been forced to care for COVID-19 patients without wearing adequate protection, leaving them at risk of catching the infection or passing it to other patients in hospital.

NHS staff, who are not being tested for the coronavirus and who say they don't have enough protective equipment, have been putting themselves in danger for weeks. 

Now, The Guardian reports that hundreds are put off taking on extra work to fight the pandemic because they fear their families won't be compensated if they catch the disease and die.

The survey was done by the Doctors' Association UK (DAUK), an NHS lobbying group. It is not clear how many health workers were questioned in total.

More than 350 respondents said they were less likely to work in high-risk areas or increase their hours or return to service because they were not entitled to death-in-service benefits.

Forty people indicated they had declined to change their hours and working patterns because of this.
So only the ones that have opted out or chosen to be freelance because of the benefits that brings both personally and financially.

A bit different to your original alarmist ******** Ian.

taio

Post by taio » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:50 pm

IanMcL wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:25 pm

So specific to doctors who have chosen to work on a locum basis or those who have chosen not to be part of the NHS pension scheme (if I had chosen to not be part of it I would take out life insurance).

Locums have never had rights in service death benefits for obvious reasons. But you'll be pleased to see the following in relation to locums and the current emergency:

'BMA GP committee chair Dr Richard Vautrey told GPonline that the doctors' union was working with NHS England on a deal to secure death-in-service rights for locums.

Dr Vautrey said he hoped that within 'the next few days' details would be made public of an agreement 'whereby locums will be employed on zero hours contract and will get death-in-service benefit' in line with the rest of the profession.'

arise_sir_charge

Post by arise_sir_charge » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:53 pm

taio wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:50 pm
So specific to doctors who have chosen to work on a locum basis or those who have chosen not to be part of the NHS pension scheme (if I had chosen to not be part of it I would take out life insurance).

Locums have never had rights in service death benefits for obvious reasons. But you'll be pleased to see the following in relation to locums and the current emergency:

'BMA GP committee chair Dr Richard Vautrey told GPonline that the doctors' union was working with NHS England on a deal to secure death-in-service rights for locums.

Dr Vautrey said he hoped that within 'the next few days' details would be made public of an agreement 'whereby locums will be employed on zero hours contract and will get death-in-service benefit' in line with the rest of the profession.'
Stop letting the truth get in the way of sensationalist nonsense.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:55 pm

Elizabeth wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:33 pm
Anyone have any useful information on what would be this inappropriate use of PPE that is causing NHS staff to be reminded when to use it properly?
Yep - it’s changing it for new PPE after each new patient they see when the new advice from medical experts which has just changed is that it is good for a whole shift without changing. That’s what Hancock said this morning when questioned on it. The chair of the RCN was not happy with the claims that her members had been accused of not using it correctly.

Make of that what you will. I’m saying nowt !

taio

Post by taio » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:57 pm

Elizabeth wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:33 pm
An example would be a worker providing health care or social care to a person who is not symptomatic but the worker wants to wear a fluid resistant face mask and eye protection just in case.

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Post by Elizabeth » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:03 pm

Thanks taio, I'm just trying to read past the headlines and posters claiming to know the reality of situations when they don't really.
So staff going over the top, maybe at the expense of others who need it more?

taio

Post by taio » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:03 pm

TVC15 wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:55 pm
Yep - it’s changing it for new PPE after each new patient they see when the new advice from medical experts which has just changed is that it is good for a whole shift without changing. That’s what Hancock said this morning when questioned on it. The chair of the RCN was not happy with the claims that her members had been accused of not using it correctly.

Make of that what you will. I’m saying nowt !
I'm surprised he said blanket fashion PPE is good for a whole shift without changing. What programme did he say this on? Some PPE items can only ever be single use e.g. gloves and aprons. Other items can be used for sessional use e.g. a ward round but that's dependent on the individual circumstances and care setting.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:08 pm

taio wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:03 pm
I'm surprised he said blanket fashion PPE is good for a whole shift without changing. What programme did he say this on? Some PPE items can only ever be single use e.g. gloves and aprons. Other items can be used for sessional use e.g. a ward round but that's dependent on the individual circumstances and care setting.
BBC news this morning - i don’t he said anything about blanket fashion. It was a question he was asked because the RCN and others had been critical about comments being made about their members not using it as per guidelines. Hancock’s reply was to give this is an example.

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:12 pm

Firthy wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:53 am

The major criticism is of what the government failed to do when it had quite a large window of opportunity before the storm hit. There's just no excuse for that.

A much bigger problem is also looming. The news today says upwards of 1.5 Million have gone without food for a day: https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... thout-food

We're only three weeks into a lockdown that is likely to go on for at least another month. There are plainly too many people not covered financially. And as for businesses going under, it's utterly reckless of the government to allow this to happen. As many people are quick to say: "these are unprecedented times" and so they call for unprecedented measures. You cannot keep a free market economy going in times like this. Certainly we didn't fight and win the Second World War by maintaining a free market economy. Put it on hold. Freeze all major financial transactions for people and companies - except where that company is still running (providing essential services). Pay out a UBI, so that people don't have to go a day without eating. It's the only way you can make us all in it together, and for the country to return to normal as quickly as possible afterwards.

taio

Post by taio » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:12 pm

TVC15 wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:08 pm
BBC news this morning - i don’t he said anything about blanket fashion. It was a question he was asked because the RCN and others had been critical about comments being made about their members not using it as per guidelines. Hancock’s reply was to give this is an example.
Thanks, will watch it on iplayer later. If he said sessional use of some PPE equipment can be safe as per the guidance that's fine and a good example of appropriate use. If he said health and care workers can use PPE equipment for a whole shift then he ought to be in big trouble.

taio

Post by taio » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:15 pm

AndrewJB wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:12 pm
The major criticism is of what the government failed to do when it had quite a large window of opportunity before the storm hit. There's just no excuse for that.

A much bigger problem is also looming. The news today says upwards of 1.5 Million have gone without food for a day: https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... thout-food

We're only three weeks into a lockdown that is likely to go on for at least another month. There are plainly too many people not covered financially. And as for businesses going under, it's utterly reckless of the government to allow this to happen. As many people are quick to say: "these are unprecedented times" and so they call for unprecedented measures. You cannot keep a free market economy going in times like this. Certainly we didn't fight and win the Second World War by maintaining a free market economy. Put it on hold. Freeze all major financial transactions for people and companies - except where that company is still running (providing essential services). Pay out a UBI, so that people don't have to go a day without eating. It's the only way you can make us all in it together, and for the country to return to normal as quickly as possible afterwards.
The community hubs set up throughout the country are a brilliant thing and will support such people. They need to be heavily promoted.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:22 pm

taio wrote:
Thanks, will watch it on iplayer later. If he said sessional use of some PPE equipment can be safe as per the guidance that's fine and a good example of appropriate use. If he said health and care workers can use PPE equipment for a whole shift then he ought to be in big trouble.
Have a listen as I can’t remember the exact words. It was around 8.30am this morning.
Pretty sure there was a reference to new guidelines or the call to check guidelines in the context of unnecessary wastage of what he described as limited or precious resource

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:25 pm

Matt Hancock said, "A front door is better than any face mask".

It gets a bit heavy though when walking around Tesco.
These 2 users liked this post: bfcjg Elizabeth

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:35 pm

taio wrote:
Just listened back and he specifically said the gown.

taio

Post by taio » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:41 pm

TVC15 wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:35 pm
Just listened back and he specifically said the gown.
Cheers. I'm glad he didn't suggest PPE generally can be used for sessional use because some items must only ever be single use such as aprons and gloves. Gowns can be used for sessional use in some circumstances.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4143 times
Has Liked: 3606 times

Post by DCWat » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:26 pm

“It is really important that people don’t overuse PPE either. I don’t want to impugn blame on people who have used more PPE than the guidelines suggest because I understand the difficulties in the circumstances”.

It’s understandable that PPE may be being used to excess. Hell, if I was in their position, I’d likely be going over and above any guidelines, for my own personal safety.

Such use likely makes the logistical planning even more difficult. I’m guessing but I’d assume that the planning is far more complex than simply sending a box to a hospital.

They presumably need to bring into play, workers sizes, shift patterns and numbers at each hospital and then arrange for manufacture in the appropriate quantities, at the nearest locations, before the distribution process kicks in.

Any overuse (and not blaming anyone) will surely impact upon the accuracy of manufacture and ultimately supply to the hospitals.

The comments made were clumsy but probably not without an element of truth.

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:36 pm

Hancock has had over two months to sort out the shortages and now he's blaming the very people who will be using the PPE. He makes a statement, but he doesn't provide any evidence regarding overuse of PPE. This is all about face-saving. He's lost a lot of good faith today.
This user liked this post: HunterST_BFC

taio

Post by taio » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:47 pm

DCWat wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:26 pm
“It is really important that people don’t overuse PPE either. I don’t want to impugn blame on people who have used more PPE than the guidelines suggest because I understand the difficulties in the circumstances”.

It’s understandable that PPE may be being used to excess. Hell, if I was in their position, I’d likely be going over and above any guidelines, for my own personal safety.

Such use likely makes the logistical planning even more difficult. I’m guessing but I’d assume that the planning is far more complex than simply sending a box to a hospital.

They presumably need to bring into play, workers sizes, shift patterns and numbers at each hospital and then arrange for manufacture in the appropriate quantities, at the nearest locations, before the distribution process kicks in.

Any overuse (and not blaming anyone) will surely impact upon the accuracy of manufacture and ultimately supply to the hospitals.

The comments made were clumsy but probably not without an element of truth.
Yes - it's a logistics nigthmare and much more of a challenge than actual availability. And I would suggest supplying hospitals is far easier than primary care (e.g. GP practices), community health (e.g. district nursing) and, in particular, social care (e.g. care homes and domiciliary care).

It's a mammoth task which expert organisations, including the army, NHS, local authorities and private companies, are finding a huge challenge.

Despite the understandable concern by staff, it being a significant issue and the number one priority currently for health and care systems, it is also an understandable distribution challenge when you consider the scale:

- 760 million PPE items delivered;
- 58,000 organisations;
- 1.4 million NHS staff; and,
- 2 million social care staff.
This user liked this post: DCWat

mdd2
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:01 pm

It is eminently sensible to try and ascertain how any NHS staff worker caught the virus or indeed any other person who is working but not from home.
Then if one can establish where the virus was caught (or the likely place) then it may be possible to stop others getting it or it could avoid some lengthy time spent chasing the proverbial tale.

arise_sir_charge

Post by arise_sir_charge » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:06 pm

taio wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:47 pm
Yes - it's a logistics nigthmare and much more of a challenge than actual availability. And I would suggest supplying hospitals is far easier than primary care (e.g. GP practices), community health (e.g. district nursing) and, in particular, social care (e.g. care homes and domiciliary care).

It's a mammoth task which expert organisations, including the army, NHS, local authorities and private companies, are finding a huge challenge.

Despite the understandable concern by staff, it being a significant issue and the number one priority currently for health and care systems, it is also an understandable distribution challenge when you consider the scale:

- 760 million PPE items delivered;
- 58,000 organisations;
- 1.4 million NHS staff; and,
- 2 million social care staff.
This!

Yet you have people like BillyBalfour saying “but they’ve had two months” as though there is loads of this stuff and they just can’t be arsed distributing it.

Demand far outstrips available supply.

It’s an issue the world over yet we look for people to blame!