Jay Rod - Pendleside

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3181 times

Jay Rod - Pendleside

Post by Paul Waine » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:41 pm

Surprised not to see someone has already posted (can't see it anywhere...).

The Times: Burnley striker Jay Rodriguez giving to mark memory of grandfather

The 30-year-old has made a video to help raise funds for the hospice where his grandfather spent his final days, writes Henry Winter

Jay Rodriguez’s grandfather, Brian Threlfall, a well-known character around the Burnley area, used to drive the 18-year-old to Preston station on a Friday afternoon to catch the train north, heading off for games on loan at Stirling Albion.

It’s not the longest journey, 25 miles, but it took a while. “He used to take forever,” Rodriguez recalls. “He always used to drive so slow! We’d have to plan to leave a few hours before just to get to Preston on time.” He loved those car trips, enjoying Brian’s humour and advice. “I could always rely on him for jokes, probably not the best jokes, but it was so funny, he was always laughing at his jokes.”

Between the bad jokes, Brian dispensed good advice. “He was always a really important person in the family, the one you’d go to, a great man,” Rodriguez continues. “He’d always say to me: ‘You can’t work hard and play hard.’ He was an electrician with Norweb and grafted really hard all his life. I always remember him saying that, about working hard.

“That came from my parents, too. They always said, whatever you do, work to your maximum, and if your best isn’t good enough then you can hold your hands up, and say, ‘I tried my best.’ It does stem from my granddad really.”

When Brian fell ill, he was cared for in hospitals in Blackburn and Burnley. “I could see how hard the NHS nurses worked,” Rodriguez says. “They were always so caring and helpful for my granddad in Blackburn and in Burnley. We were always thankful to the nurses.”

Brian was eventually moved into Pendleside Hospice, just to the north of Burnley. Rodriguez knew it well. He donated to the hospice on his 21st birthday, and even when moving on from Burnley to Southampton, and England recognition, then West Brom, he never forgot and willingly became an ambassador for them in 2017.

“Being a local lad, I knew a lot about it already, with friends who had family members there, losing loved ones,” he says. “Everybody I spoke to about it said what a great place Pendleside Hospice is, how they treat people. I feel really proud and privileged to be involved.”

When Brian was moved in to Pendleside, Rodriguez saw even more the selflessness and compassion of the nurses and staff. “It was the hardest time but it was such a nice feeling for the family when we went home, we knew he was being cared for. He had one-to-one care, the nurses there are absolutely brilliant. They got to know him straight away, my granddad was always cracking jokes, always seeing the best of things.”

Sadly, Brian passed away in Pendleside on February 27. “He’s really missed by the family because he was such a nice guy,” Rodriguez says. So when the 30-year-old heard last week about the hospice’s appeal for help during the pandemic, given the huge hit to their fundraising, he leapt at the chance to help, making a video for their “Keep Your Hospice Open” campaign.

He knows the pressure that staff are under. “They are fearful of bringing things into the hospice, or maybe contracting it themselves, and they are still working as normal, still caring. It is important that hospices get the help as well as the hospitals, but obviously we know how stretched it is as well.”

Since returning to Turf Moor from The Hawthorns a year ago, Rodriguez has worked on the award-winning Burnley FC in the Community’s schemes with refugees, on a mental health campaign and even planting trees. There’s no craving praise, just quietly pointing out that players do have a social conscience. “I’m very privileged to play football, so if I can help out in other ways then of course I want to, helping charities, like the refugee football, I really enjoyed it. It gives me fulfilment.”

So he was surprised and annoyed when hearing the health secretary Matt Hancock calling on footballers to “do their bit” in response to a question in a No 10 coronavirus briefing and, subsequently on ITV, asking “why don’t our footballers club together and support our hospices”. Many players are involved with hospices, including Juan Mata, Wayne Rooney, Ben Gibson, Dele Alli and Mark Noble, as well as Rodriguez.

“It was disappointing,” Rodriguez says. “Players took a lot of criticism at the time while organising the #PlayersTogether movement.’’ Ben Mee co-ordinated Burnley’s response to the initiative, liaising with Jordan Henderson of Liverpool, Manchester United’s Harry Maguire and other club captains.

“Ben was really good, he kept us all informed of everything. He’s a great captain and a great guy, well-respected,” Rodriguez says. “It’s a great movement, a brilliant thing. It took a lot of organisation from the captains and then the players to get together and do that. The main thing on the players’ mind is to help the NHS, who are the real heroes.”

The unity between all 20 dressing rooms is “really important”, Rodriguez emphasises. Rivals on the pitch, Rodriguez having duelled with Maguire, Henderson and Noble, Troy Deeney and Hugo Lloris, now stood shoulder to shoulder, united by a common cause. “We are rivals when it comes to football, but when it comes to something bigger than football, the lads are just lads brought up well and doing well,” Rodriguez explains. “It just shows that, when everyone comes together and becomes one, how powerful it is helping others.”

He watches the news and sees the problems locally and nationally. “It’s everywhere at the moment with how powerful this virus is. Burnley have helped out with local foodbanks. It’s just giving back to anyone in need. I’ve always known Burnley is a place where people do stick together and help each other out.”

In lockdown, Rodriguez finishes rehab from the knee injury suffered against Tottenham Hotspur on March 7. “I’ve got two dogs, so we’ve been walking them. I use a Wattbike. Phil [Pomeroy] at the club, the physio, is brilliant, always using FaceTime, videoing, sending me stuff, so that’s been really good.” Sean Dyche, the Burnley manager, is in regular contact. “He’s very good. That’s a strong point of Burnley — great team spirit.

“We’ve a great group of lads and staff, that’s really powerful in the team. I definitely noticed that coming back. I do miss going in every morning, and having a laugh and talking about the news. We’re in a [group] chat, we Zoom and speak about looking forward to getting back and getting to work together. It’s a bit of banter, chat, just catching up and trying to replicate being together while in isolation. I miss meeting the lads, getting to work and the games at the weekend. That’s secondary at the moment. The main thing is to overcome the coronavirus.”

His chairman, Mike Garlick, warns that Burnley are likely to lose £45 million in broadcast revenue and £5 million in match-day income with the season on hold and the club are understandably looking for savings. Rodriguez knows players at his old club, Southampton, took a wage deferral to help others at the club. Would he? “Yes, of course,” he replies. “We are in this together. If that comes up, we’d get together and see how we can help. We have a squad that is full of good guys.”

Having played 129 times during his first period at Burnley, and 31 games since returning, the academy graduate knows so many members of staff at Barnfield training centre as well as Turf Moor. They’re like family. “That’s the most important thing, you don’t stray away, you stick together and help each other out at a time of crisis,” he says.

“Every human being is the same: give something back, treat everyone with respect. I’ve been brought up well by my parents, and my grandparents.” Brian would be proud.

To donate, please visit justgiving.com/campaign/pendlesidecovid19appeal
These 18 users liked this post: thatdberight tim_noone Zlatan IanMcL evensteadiereddie Winstonswhite Taffy on the wing Sarum Top Claret HunterST_BFC The Enclosure tiger76 Cirrus_Minor longsidepies DAVETHEVICAR conyoviejo ClaretPope k90bfc

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 2172 times

Re: Jay Rod - Pendleside

Post by Burnley1989 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:14 pm

I used to be very good friends with Jay growing up but lost touch, honestly one of the nicest lads you’ll ever meet.

leelad
Been Liked: 72 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by leelad » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:22 pm

Excellent article, touched a nerve with me. My late nan & grandad received excellent care from the hospice in their last few weeks. Going back a number of years now, I was working for a local employer where a donation could be made from my wage to a charity each month. I always chose the hospice. That arrangement ended a number of years ago, and apart from ad-hoc donations which I have made to them, I never kept up the monthly arrangement going of a regular donation. Well after reading the article today, I made a donation to the hospice. They do a lot of valued work (seen & unseen) for the local community. I accept there are lots of other causes which are on the radar at the moment and are worthy of our support, but our local hospices should not be overlooked.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1698 times
Has Liked: 790 times

Post by warksclaret » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:32 pm

There's a story that whilst he was at WBA he was in a sports shop. In there was a mother and son-the boy wanted a special pair of boots which clearly his mum could not afford. noticing this Jay took the expensive boots to the till, paid for them then gave them to the lad

I hear he is very compassionate and kind-a privilege to have him back. Still the best to come I have no doubt
This user liked this post: k90bfc

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Post by Elizabeth » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:37 pm

Lovely to read and I wish some of the posters who use the platform of UTC to express themselves on other threads would just take the time to follow this thread and maybe even express a sentiment that might show them as a human being instead of someone always looking for confrontation and point scoring
These 6 users liked this post: Leisure randomclaret2 Bosscat tiger76 RingoMcCartney mdd2

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:41 pm

Hear hear,there are far too many on here looking for confrontations.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3148 times
Has Liked: 10248 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:45 pm

I'd agree, this is a terrific article about a well-adjusted lad. A credit to his family and the Clarets.
Your crass and rather unnecessary statement spoils it, Elizabeth......
Last edited by evensteadiereddie on Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2567 times
Has Liked: 767 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:47 pm

Jay is a very kind soul, and a brilliant footballer.

conyoviejo

Post by conyoviejo » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:48 pm

Credit where credits due Eddie..
This user liked this post: KateR

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:49 pm

Indeed, Jayrod is a credit to the town and the club. Nobody will argue with that.
Last edited by evensteadiereddie on Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: k90bfc

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:50 pm

There will always be people trying to make others feel as bad as they do
This user liked this post: RingoMcCartney

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:50 pm

?

I think it's a very positive piece, written in bad times for the lad and his family and the nation as a whole.
I don't think there's anything to feel "bad" about.
If you read it again, you'll see it's quite uplifting.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:55 pm

Good to see Eddie that at least you have the decency to quickly edit your unkind comments

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:55 pm

Well nearly all of them

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:59 pm

The one about your crass and pointless remark still stands, though. Why on earth would you bring the idea of point scoring into this issue. It doesn't make sense. Everybody is united behind Jayrod and his efforts. Who wouldn't be ?
Anyway, I 'm not getting involved any more, I've let you know what I think.
I'll leave you to it Ring, er Elizabeth, you crack on. :roll:
Last edited by evensteadiereddie on Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:03 pm

You might still let it stand Eddie but the record of you editing that comment unnecessarily to once again try and point score will remain.

In respect to a decent posters and Tony I now humbly withdraw from this thread.

Well done Jay, the town is proud of you
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8517 times
Has Liked: 18258 times

Post by Bosscat » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:26 pm

evensteadiereddie wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:59 pm
The one about your crass and pointless remark still stands, though. You've tried to stir up something on a thread like this, of all threads..
Well, I'll leave you to it Ring, er Elizabeth, you crack on. :roll:
Jesus christ eddie give it a f**king rest sit down have a glass of wine and chill...
These 3 users liked this post: randomclaret2 RingoMcCartney KateR

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:32 pm

Yawn.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8517 times
Has Liked: 18258 times

Post by Bosscat » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:36 pm

Yes Eddie you really are that boring ... now jog on and annoy someone else, we can't be arsed with you any more...

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:40 pm

Yawn.

Please have the decency to comment on Jayrod and the fabulous work he's doing or shut up and move on to another post where you can drag people down to your level. Both Elizabeth and I made - not scored - our points, why you had to blunder in, God only knows. His mate, perhaps ? I don't know and don't care particularly.

The foul language does you no favours either.

Anyway, that really is my lot regarding this matter. Apart from donating of course.

Stay safe.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:11 pm

Good to see Jay's stayed grounded and he hasn't forgotten his roots,mind you that's true for all of our squad,they probably do a lot of charity work that doesn't get publicised,yes they earn good money,although not obscene amounts like some PL superstars,but they are still aware of their role in the community,especially in these current circumstances.

As someone who has a family friend in Pendleside,and having visited other hospices,i can definitely state the staff do their absolutely best to ensure the residents are treated with compassion and dignity,even in their dying days.

Well done Jay,and credit to him for promoting his fellow pros and their good work,it's easy to label footballers and indeed other sportspeople and celebrities as out of touch with the common people,but they're humans and just like us they're touched by loss,and I've read many examples of them stepping up to the plate during this pandemic.

Sadly these selfless acts aren't given the coverage they deserve,i guess good news doesn't sell,shame as we need good news stories just now.

I'll donate a small amount,i'm trying to help as many worthwhile causes as possible,but i can spare a few quid for this vital service.
These 2 users liked this post: evensteadiereddie paulatky

Suratclaret
Been Liked: 333 times
Has Liked: 788 times

Post by Suratclaret » Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:16 am

I commented on Chester Perry's thread about Jay Rod and the hospice, that all hospices rely to a great extent on fundraising activities which cannot now take place so many are facing a potentially serious financial situation. Until fundraising activities can start again, hospices will need more individual donations so that they can continue with their amazing work.
The article about Jay Rod is further evidence of what our great club is about.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:35 am

Friend of a friend has opened a gym recently and he went along for the "grand" opening. Jay was there, as he too knows the guy . My mate spoke to Jay and said what a humble , likeable and just a generally smashing lad Jay is.

ecc
Been Liked: 1435 times
Has Liked: 1284 times

Post by ecc » Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:31 pm

Why the hell have people ruined this thread? My God, you're unbearable.
These 2 users liked this post: KateR FactualFrank

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:52 pm

The last four posts had got it back on track. We're all in complete agreement that Jayrod is a top bloke.

You're a bit late, bud.

Bullabill
Been Liked: 305 times
Has Liked: 148 times

Post by Bullabill » Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:43 pm

I see the name 'Threlfall' is in his family, it's not a common name and the article reminded me of a lad I went to primary school with by the name of Jim Threlfall. Jim was a keen Burnley fan and I wonder if he's still around and whether he is still passionate about BFC. He would be in his seventies now and, I hope, successfully dodging Covid 19.

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:54 pm

Apparently it's a name more common in West Lancs, Kirkham way, where it's thought to have originated. I went to school with some brothers called Holgate, that's a name I've never heard of since. Interesting.
Yes, I hope your long-lost buddy is thriving.

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2758 times
Has Liked: 4325 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:38 pm

There's Mason Holgate at Everton

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:41 pm

That's true; I'd forgotten him - football seems so long ago, sigh....

ecc
Been Liked: 1435 times
Has Liked: 1284 times

Post by ecc » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:45 pm

"You're a bit late, bud."

No, I'm not, "bud", because you'll be acting like a fool again shortly.
This user liked this post: KateR

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2758 times
Has Liked: 4325 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:47 pm

It certainly does. Bullabill's mention of the name Threlfall also put me in mind of David Threlfall , of 'Shameless '.

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:55 pm

ecc wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:45 pm
"You're a bit late, bud."

No, I'm not, "bud", because you'll be acting like a fool again shortly.

You mean like you're doing now ? Er, no I won't.

Grow up and be quiet.

:roll:
This user liked this post: tim_noone

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:16 pm

evensteadiereddie wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:55 pm
You mean like you're doing now ? Er, no I won't.

Grow up and be quiet.

:roll:
:lol: sometimes it's better to Larf!!

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:34 pm

True, so true.

karatekid
Been Liked: 1108 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by karatekid » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:02 pm

There is a report on ITV Granada news shortly

MarbellaClaret
Been Liked: 12 times

Post by MarbellaClaret » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:04 pm

Jay spoke well, explained his extra interest, promoted and lifted the profile of a very worthwhile local charity at this difficult period for fundraising. Well done Jay UTC.
This user liked this post: ClaretPope

Claretmatt4
Been Liked: 1049 times
Has Liked: 723 times

Post by Claretmatt4 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:05 pm

Good lad Jay

conyoviejo

Post by conyoviejo » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:26 pm

What a top guy JRod is ,I will forgive him for that miss against Arsenal. 8-)