Do you believe in omens?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Firthy
Been Liked: 1613 times
Has Liked: 275 times

Do you believe in omens?

Post by Firthy » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:38 pm

I'm not a religious or spiritual person but I do wonder if there is something out there or maybe it's just pure coincidence. My father died last year and when he went into hospital I brought home two christmas cactus of his that were pretty limp and poor specimens. I wanted to keep them as a reminder of him so I repotted them and with careful watering a bit of TLC they thrived. To the extent that they are standing proud and were a mass of flowers in December.

Then to my surprised they both flowered again a couple of weeks ago. Today I removed the last of the wilted flowers from both plants and the weird thing is that is 12 months to the day since my father died. Maybe I'm reading more into it because I want to belive that it is him sending me a message but I do finding the timing spooky. Maybe belief in something is what you want it to be?

Anyway, thanks for reading and stay safe everyone during these hard times.
These 2 users liked this post: Suratclaret KateR

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2819 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Re: Do you believe in omens?

Post by ClaretAndJew » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:47 pm

Nothing to stop you believing that, Firthy.

RIP to your Dad.

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:49 pm

Firthy wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:38 pm
I'm not a religious or spiritual person but I do wonder if there is something out there or maybe it's just pure coincidence. My father died last year and when he went into hospital I brought home two christmas cactus of his that were pretty limp and poor specimens. I wanted to keep them as a reminder of him so I repotted them and with careful watering a bit of TLC they thrived. To the extent that they are standing proud and were a mass of flowers in December.

Then to my surprised they both flowered again a couple of weeks ago. Today I removed the last of the wilted flowers from both plants and the weird thing is that is 12 months to the day since my father died. Maybe I'm reading more into it because I want to belive that it is him sending me a message but I do finding the timing spooky. Maybe belief in something is what you want it to be?

I dont personally believe in anything like that,but whatever triggers good memories, or makes you think of your dad then it's all good.
I lost my mum last year and I'm struggling to think about her for more than a few seconds. I've not been able to get upset about it really and find great frustration about not being able to go through the process or mourning.
It must just be the way my subconscious is dealing with it, I'm no psychologist mind.
Keep on top of those cacti pal. Your dad would be proud, and if there is any way of looking down from an afterlife, I'm sure he would be smiling watching you have these moments

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:53 pm

Yes.....

Suratclaret
Been Liked: 333 times
Has Liked: 788 times

Post by Suratclaret » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:59 pm

I never used to believe in omens but as I grew older my attitude changed and there have been a number of occasions over the past few years when I definitely thought there's something in them.
Whatever keep the memories of your dad alive within you, believe in them. Beliefs are personal so don't take any notice of anyone that tries to rubbish them.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:00 pm

I put them down to coincidences and mathematics/probability.

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:06 pm

No.

But if this makes you remember your father and it's comforting, that's great.

Croydon Claret
Been Liked: 1155 times
Has Liked: 783 times

Post by Croydon Claret » Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:51 pm

Just a coincidence. The flowers were always going to fade at around this time of year.

But it's still nice to think that there are greater powers at work as the thought of such does provide comfort, and there's nothing wrong with that

KateR
Been Liked: 1019 times
Has Liked: 6172 times

Post by KateR » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:50 am

Firthy wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:38 pm

Thank you for the post, and yes I do.

If I'm wrong it is of no matter in the grand scheme of things

Bfcboyo
Been Liked: 441 times
Has Liked: 355 times

Post by Bfcboyo » Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:47 am

I didn't until I found the birthmark.
This user liked this post: Middle-agedClaret