Watching England on you tube

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
gtclaret
Been Liked: 339 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Watching England on you tube

Post by gtclaret » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:29 pm

From the 1960's mostly against Scotland, being born in 1957 I was slightly too young to fully understand, but I knew of some of the players.
What I saw was interesting
1 England were still slow predictable and disjointed.
2 Gordon Banks, rated the world's best, made mistakes, his agility was amazing, but too many goals were down to him, I wonder what we would have made of him now. I saw Lev Yashin playing against England in1963 for a team made up of the world's best, now he was fantastic.
3 I always thought that Denis Law was an out and out striker, not so, he played deep in all the Scotland games, he was absolute class
4 Finally, and you're not going to like this, the most impressive player I saw for England was a player called Douglas, fabulous player, guess his club 😪

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2977 times
Has Liked: 2075 times

Re: Watching England on you tube

Post by Funkydrummer » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:49 pm

The stewards.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2472 times
Has Liked: 2009 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:55 pm

A branch of the Rovers,spit, supporters club held meetings at Rawtenstall Fire Stn in the late '70s.
i just happened to be working the night they had a showing of England v Scotland from about '69. England won 4-1. Cracking match.
They had Keith Newton come along as he'd been in the England team. I just chatted all things Claret with him.

BTW. watched Germany 1 England 5 t'other afternoon. with hindsight they had a poor side then but we murdered them.

Don't go off one performance to judge Banks he was class. The most famous George Best match is his hat trick in Lisbon. If he hadn't scored he'd have been a 4. He continually gave the ball away, apart from when he scored.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:37 pm

Tricky Trevor wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:55 pm
A branch of the Rovers,spit, supporters club held meetings at Rawtenstall Fire Stn in the late '70s.
i just happened to be working the night they had a showing of England v Scotland from about '69. England won 4-1. Cracking match.
They had Keith Newton come along as he'd been in the England team. I just chatted all things Claret with him.

BTW. watched Germany 1 England 5 t'other afternoon. with hindsight they had a poor side then but we murdered them.

Don't go off one performance to judge Banks he was class. The most famous George Best match is his hat trick in Lisbon. If he hadn't scored he'd have been a 4. He continually gave the ball away, apart from when he scored.
That 5-1 win in Munich ultimately proved another false dawn,despite the fact the Germans weren't a great team they still reached the WC final just 9 months later,that's the mark of their tournament prowess,even when their poor,they usually go deep in the major finals,Russia 2018 being the exception rather than the rule,England often look impressive in the lead up to big tournaments,but far too often fall in the early rounds,no tournament mentality,whether that'll change under Southgate we'll have to wait and see,whenever the Euro's finally roll round,the difference is England will be one of the fancied nations,and that's usually when we fail,can't handle the expectation.

Targetman
Been Liked: 506 times
Has Liked: 47 times

Post by Targetman » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:44 pm

I thought the comments about Gordon Banks were a bit strange?? Of course he made mistakes but which footballer doesn't?

Lev Yashin was indisputable no.1 goalkeeper in the early '60's, however that was when Banks was just coming to the fore. Gordon Banks went on to greater things as the world's best keeper, including winning the world cup with England, who had a fabulous team from the mid 1960's to early 1970's.
We missed him so badly when he was out with food poisoning during the 1970 world cup in Mexico.