Care Homes

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Re: Care Homes

Post by thatdberight » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:41 pm

TVC15 wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:37 pm
Not sure what you are referring to by I am talking about what is actually happening at care homes is not being shared by the government - probably because it is would be too shocking / upsetting for the public.
With the collusion of Chief Medical Officer, Chief Scientist etc etc surely. Or are they being kept in the dark too?

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 654 times
Has Liked: 2894 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:45 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:36 am
That’s not really a issue, well it is but it’s more accepted everybody dies eventually, what’s more disturbing is the virus exacerbating already existing problems, without the virus it’d be more manageable & in some cases recovery, but the virus is ending some people life’s shorter than normally you would expect.
So does normal flu. How can you measure the Covid increase if you don’t know how many would have been expected to have died from normal flu?

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:46 pm

thatdberight wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:41 pm
With the collusion of Chief Medical Officer, Chief Scientist etc etc surely. Or are they being kept in the dark too?
Probably not - just the general public.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1183 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:56 pm

Burnley Ace wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:45 pm
So does normal flu. How can you measure the Covid increase if you don’t know how many would have been expected to have died from normal flu?
We do know that regarding flu, I know it’s difficult but if you can try to separate flu & Covid-19 & treat each illness individually, we seem to have some sort of obsession with combining flu & Covid-19, it’s not an increase on anything, Flus flu & Covid-19 is Covid-19, why do we need measure any increases? Of what possible benefit will it bring us knowing an increase from flu to Covid-19?

rayzer
Been Liked: 83 times
Has Liked: 17 times

Post by rayzer » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:01 pm

If you were found to be a whistleblower in the care home sector you might as well kiss your career goodbye. I've spoke to my wife about what is the right thing to do, hence the anxiety she is going through. Damned if you do and damned if you don't. Anybody who works in a care home will understand this dilemma.

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:23 pm

We are slap bang in the middle of this crisis. When it's over and only when it's over, will it be the time to assess how well the country, the government, the opposition the NHS, Public Health England, the media and all stakeholders in this crisis have performed. Good , bad or indifferent. Attempting to make a judgement and forming an opinion right now, is far too premature. There could easily be 2nd, 3rd and 4th waves of this hideous evil virus to contend with

People should wait till it's over.

conjecture
/kənˈdʒɛktʃə/

Learn to pronounce
See definitions in:

noun
an opinion or conclusion formed on the basis of incomplete information.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5073 times
Has Liked: 6847 times

Post by bfcjg » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:29 pm

I know a lot of us have and have had relatives in care and nursing homes, people end up in them when they are to I'll either physically or mentally to live at home so they are ill and weak to start. When my relations died it was a relief in the end as the cocktails of drugs they were both on just to basically keep them alive was cruelly extending a life of mystery. I think this dreadful virus even in a mild form will have more severe effects.
Regarding including them in the figures I think most countries use hospital deaths as the most accurate measure no doubt these figures will be released though. The carers are amazing people and when all this is over the status and wages of these people will have to increase and if we pay more tax so be it.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2540 times
Has Liked: 766 times

Post by ksrclaret » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:30 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:23 pm
We are slap bang in the middle of this crisis. When it's over and only when it's over, will it be the time to assess how well the country, the government, the opposition the NHS, Public Health England, the media and all stakeholders in this crisis have performed. Good , bad or indifferent. Attempting to make a judgement and forming an opinion right now, is far too premature. There could easily be 2nd, 3rd and 4th waves of this hideous evil virus to contend with

People should wait till it's over.

conjecture
/kənˈdʒɛktʃə/

Learn to pronounce
See definitions in:

noun
Why are you going around saying what a brilliant job the government are doing then?

You can't have it both ways.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:55 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:30 pm
Why are you going around saying what a brilliant job the government are doing then?

You can't have it both ways.
Saying the setting up of Nightingale hospitals to treat thousands of patients in a matter of days. Is NOT "saying what a brilliant job the government are doing "

Youd think that when I post about the unprecedented logistical achievement it must have took, and then finish my post with -

"Absolutely tremendous effort by all those concerned!"

Youd read that as giving credit where credits due, to ALL THOSE CONCERNED!

Which , off the top of my head would be the local labour council , government officials, civil servants, Public health England The NHS managers and staff, the army , volunteers and countless more unsung heroes. Many of whom will have , potentially, putting their own lives at risk, as social distancing could have been an issue, in order to save others.

Stop being paranoid. "All" means "All"

ksrclaret

Post by ksrclaret » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:00 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:55 pm
Saying the setting up of Nightingale hospitals to treat thousands of patients in a matter of days. Is NOT "saying what a brilliant job the government are doing "

Youd think that when I post about the unprecedented logistical achievement it must have took, and then finish my post with -

"Absolutely tremendous effort by all those concerned!"

Youd read that as giving credit where credits due, to ALL THOSE CONCERNED!

Which , off the top of my head would be the local labour council , government officials, civil servants, Public health England The NHS managers and staff, the army , volunteers and countless more unsung heroes. Many of whom will have , potentially, putting their own lives at risk, as social distancing could have been an issue, in order to save others.

Stop being paranoid. "All" means "All"
Haha. Nice try. If only I was inclined to use the search function. You're familiar with the phrase "do as I say, and not as I do".

All those times you've posted about the opinion polls of the government was definitely for the job 'all' were doing. Silly boy.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:23 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:00 pm
Haha. Nice try. If only I was inclined to use the search function. You're familiar with the phrase "do as I say, and not as I do".

All those times you've posted about the opinion polls of the government was definitely for the job 'all' were doing. Silly boy.
The point of posting an opinion poll was simply a reminder. A reminder to those on here, who believe the government has done a poor job of its handling of the unprecedented Coronavirus epidemic. They , according to opinion polls , appear to be in the minority.

Simply showing that someone who has come to a certain conclusion prematurely, holds a minority view. Isn't praising the government. Its suggesting they're spouting conjecture and are out of step with the majority view.

conjecture
/kənˈdʒɛktʃə/

Learn to pronounce
See definitions in:

noun
Last edited by RingoMcCartney on Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:26 pm

By the way. I'll bow out now. The thread is about care homes. I was just making the point the time to assess is not while we're in the thick of it.

Thank you

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:34 pm

TVC15 wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:27 pm
Social care and the care home sector has been a scandal for years now.
Anybody who does not think the government is currently sweeping this under the carpet in terms of what is happening during the virus is naive.
I know of at least one care home in burnley where every resident has got the virus and a number of patients have already died and so has a member of staff.
This is actually a very nice (and very expensive) care home and they have had significant problems getting hold of PPE and in the first few weeks there was virtually none for the staff.
Every resident?
Death of residents?
Death of staff?
And nothing in the press?
Really?

ksrclaret

Post by ksrclaret » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:37 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:23 pm
The point of posting an opinion poll was simply a reminder. A reminder to those on here, who believe the government has done a poor job of its handling of the unprecedented Coronavirus epidemic. They , according to opinion polls , appear to be in the minority.

Simply showing that someone who has come to a certain conclusion prematurely, holds a minority view. Isn't praising the government. Its suggesting they're spouting conjecture and are out of step with the majority view.

conjecture
/kənˈdʒɛktʃə/

Learn to pronounce
See definitions in:

noun
And therefore those that make up the ‘majority view’ that the government are doing a good job are also spouting conjecture. You can’t have it both ways.

Good day, Ringo.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:10 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:37 pm
And therefore those that make up the ‘majority view’ that the government are doing a good job are also spouting conjecture. You can’t have it both ways.

Good day, Ringo.
I'm not trying "to have it both ways"

You're correct, those in the majority view could well prove to have been spouting conjecture! But my posting an opinion poll is of itself not an opinion. Indeed, someone else posted an opinion poll that showed the majority of people felt the government was slow in supplying PPE.

When the universally respected polling guru, John Curtice , publishes his latest findings. They are not a reflection of his opinion but of others. And those opinions may prove , as time passes, to have been premature. Tony Bliar, was once popular.

You claim to be a teacher. You've assumed, wrongly, that when I link an opinion poll it reflects my opinion. You've made a school boy error.

ksrclaret

Post by ksrclaret » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:17 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:10 pm
I'm not trying "to have it both ways"

You're correct, those in the majority view could well prove to have been spouting conjecture! But my posting an opinion poll is of itself not an opinion. Indeed, someone else posted an opinion poll that showed the majority of people felt the government was slow in supplying PPE.

When the universally respected polling guru, John Curtice , publishes his latest findings. They are not a reflection of his opinion but of others. And those opinions may prove , as time passes, to have been premature. Tony Bliar, was once popular.

You claim to be a teacher. You've assumed, wrongly, that when I link an opinion poll it reflects my opinion. You've made a school boy error.
Thought you were going to bow out? School boy error?
Last edited by ksrclaret on Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HB Claret
Been Liked: 171 times
Has Liked: 81 times

Post by HB Claret » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:21 pm

My father has been living in a care home for just over 2 years as he suffered from dementia and Alzheimer’s. His home went in to lockdown just over 3 weeks ago and last Monday I git a call to say he had a chest infection and was quite poorly. Ultimately it seems as though the home had a case of coronavirus and rather than just a chest infection it seems that dad also had become infected and he sadly passed away in the early hours of Saturday morning. I am sure he won’t be the only death in that home and apart from feeling guilty that I couldn’t see him I am sure that the staff did their absolute best to make him comfortable in his final hours. My brother died of a heart attack on 4 March so this hasn’t been a good year.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:41 pm

HB Claret wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:21 pm
My father has been living in a care home for just over 2 years as he suffered from dementia and Alzheimer’s. His home went in to lockdown just over 3 weeks ago and last Monday I git a call to say he had a chest infection and was quite poorly. Ultimately it seems as though the home had a case of coronavirus and rather than just a chest infection it seems that dad also had become infected and he sadly passed away in the early hours of Saturday morning. I am sure he won’t be the only death in that home and apart from feeling guilty that I couldn’t see him I am sure that the staff did their absolute best to make him comfortable in his final hours. My brother died of a heart attack on 4 March so this hasn’t been a good year.
I'm sure everyone on here will wish you well with all the upset you've encountered in such a short space of time.
These 3 users liked this post: Bordeauxclaret Burnley Ace conyoviejo

Aclaret
Been Liked: 1306 times
Has Liked: 1402 times

Post by Aclaret » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:58 pm

Never mind you havn't had a good year HB, you've had a shocking month !
My heart goes out to you pal, please don't feel any guilt about your Dad, there's nothing you could have done, it's the same in all the locked down care homes, my wife's mum is the same, not seen her now for 4 weeks.
All the best and sympathies to you.

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:00 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:17 pm
Thought you were going to bow out? School boy error?
Schoolboy*

ksrclaret

Post by ksrclaret » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:04 pm

thatdberight wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:00 pm
Schoolboy*
Interesting. There’s another one of those in this thread somewhere. Can you spot it?

rayzer
Been Liked: 83 times
Has Liked: 17 times

Post by rayzer » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:05 pm

Sincere condolences HB.What a sad year you are having. This is exactly what I was alluding to in an earlier thread. My wife is a carer because she cares. The death tolls are really affecting her because she knows that loved ones are not allowed in the home near the end. I will say aprayer for your father and brother.

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:15 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:04 pm
Interesting. There’s another one of those in this thread somewhere. Can you spot it?
No. Go on.

ksrclaret

Post by ksrclaret » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:19 pm

thatdberight wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:15 pm
No. Go on.
Well I’m not giving you the answer, dear me kids want everything handed to them on a plate these days.

Have a proper look and post your results. I think you’ll enjoy looking.

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:20 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:19 pm
Well I’m not giving you the answer, dear me kids want everything handed to them on a plate these days.

Have a proper look and post your results. I think you’ll enjoy looking.
I presume it's in my own posts?

If it's anything more than a couple of typos with a space or a 'c' missing... it's an error I'm making out of ignorance.