Current Season Void Or Continue

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
dsr
Been Liked: 4578 times
Has Liked: 2270 times

Re: Current Season Void Or Continue

Post by dsr » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:04 am

diamondpocket wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:13 pm
I can't see how football is gonna be played before June. The lockdown measures we are living in will be in place at least until May bank holiday so another 2 and a half weeks. Players are gonna need at least 3 weeks minimum for a mini pre-season as they'll have to get a couple of games in as friendlies, too. That'll mean finishing the season mid-late July. Is that even possible legally with players out of contract end of June? And this is if clubs can start getting back to training early May. Thankfully, we're out of the relegation fight. This break could well influence teams' performance when they come back.
Bardsley mentioned that they could even have only a couple of weeks between finishing this season and starting the next cutting out the League Cup for next year and also FA cups to have no replays.
They can play "pre-season friendlies" within the squad. They don't need to find different opponents. They're only fitness exercises nowadays anyway.

There is no legal problem with players going out of contract, or with players getting new short term contracts, or with players being offered new contracts and refusing them. (The last is unlikely, I would have thought!) UEFA/FIFA/the FA will no doubt amend the rules of transfer windows as required.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:39 pm

If there is any footy in the next couple of months it'll be behind closed doors.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52291542

Brief glance at when the major leagues might be resuming.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52283194

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:54 pm

Those who think by voiding this season we have a chance to start a new season in August at the earliest really do need a reality check.

If people think that it's not feasible to play matches behind closed doors currently because of safety reasons then they are in for a rude awakening if they think it's going to be any different come August/September time.

It wont be. Supporters better get used to the idea of empty stadiums for quite a few months.

SalisburyClaret
Been Liked: 1104 times
Has Liked: 709 times

Post by SalisburyClaret » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:02 pm

Continue - as long as that means rolling two seasons together

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2567 times
Has Liked: 767 times

Post by ksrclaret » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:10 pm

Spijed wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:54 pm
Those who think by voiding this season we have a chance to start a new season in August at the earliest really do need a reality check.

If people think that it's not feasible to play matches behind closed doors currently because of safety reasons then they are in for a rude awakening if they think it's going to be any different come August/September time.

It wont be. Supporters better get used to the idea of empty stadiums for quite a few months.
The other week wasn't the Accrington chairman saying lower level clubs would really struggle to be able to afford to put a game on without fans paying to enter.

Not as simple as 'just play games behind closed doors'.

Dy1geo
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 62 times

Post by Dy1geo » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:23 pm

Spijed wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:54 pm

I can stomach the rest of this season behind closed doors but begrudge paying for a season ticket for 20/21 and not getting to watch matches in person. What is the position regarding our payments if that is the case?

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:34 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:10 pm
The other week wasn't the Accrington chairman saying lower level clubs would really struggle to be able to afford to put a game on without fans paying to enter.

The thing is that they have no choice do they?

We are either going to play behind closed doors well into next season or not at all.

What's more damaging to a club like Accrington - football matches without a crowd or no football at all?

ksrclaret

Post by ksrclaret » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:41 pm

Spijed wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:34 pm

We are either going to play behind closed doors well into next season or not at all.

What's more damaging to a club like Accrington - football matches without a crowd or no football at all?
Without seeing the precise costings and the suggested timescales I wouldn't know. Neither would you. The accrington chairman might though.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:44 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:41 pm
Without seeing the precise costings and the suggested timescales I wouldn't know. Neither would you. The accrington chairman might though.
You think the Accrington chairman might know when it's safe to start when even the likes of the World Health organisation are not certain when the virus is under control?

ksrclaret

Post by ksrclaret » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:46 pm

Spijed wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:44 pm
You think the Accrington chairman might know when it's safe to start when even the likes of the World Health organisation are not certain when the virus is under control?
I wouldn't have thought so, no.

He might know how much it costs to put a game on though, compared with how much it'll cost to go without for football for x, y or z months.

California Colner
Been Liked: 172 times
Has Liked: 115 times

Post by California Colner » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:23 am

I Would think the country is more concerned about saving the life’s of its citizens than starting sports of any kind
Until they can control the virus there shouldn’t be any conversations about starting again
Life is far more important

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3189 times
Has Liked: 1870 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:43 am

ksrclaret wrote:

But what costs would there be for a behind closed doors game, other than the playing staff.

There wouldn’t be a need for any stewards,
There wouldn’t be a need for food/drink kiosk staff
There wouldn’t be a need for hospitality staff
Games can be played anytime during the day, so no need to use the floodlights

ChorltonCharlie
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 75 times

Post by ChorltonCharlie » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:33 am

Spijed wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:34 pm

Sorry Spijed, but that's an absolutely stupid comment for the modern game. Accrington's income is through fans attending games. How do they pay players with no fans? This is the case for everyone in English football below the PL.

Andy Holt is the most transparent owner out there. You don't have to agree with everything he says, but reading what he puts out there on a daily basis helps avoid ignorance of what things are really like in the EFL.

https://twitter.com/AndyhHolt/status/12 ... 1259177984

ChorltonCharlie

Post by ChorltonCharlie » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:36 am

Also it looks like the PL are going to agree 30th June as an absolute end date for this season. Looks like the details of how it would be ended if not all fixtures are completed is not yet known. As a few of us have been saying, next season is a far bigger worry for most clubs than finishing this one.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... on-30-june

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:45 am

ChorltonCharlie wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:33 am
Sorry Spijed, but that's an absolutely stupid comment for the modern game. Accrington's income is through fans attending games. How do they pay players with no fans? This is the case for everyone in English football below the PL.

Andy Holt is the most transparent owner out there. You don't have to agree with everything he says, but reading what he puts out there on a daily basis helps avoid ignorance of what things are really like in the EFL.

https://twitter.com/AndyhHolt/status/12 ... 1259177984
So are you saying it could potentially be better for a club like Accrington to completely shut down, lay off all the staff and players, until crowds can be allowed back into football grounds?

That could be months away.

ChorltonCharlie

Post by ChorltonCharlie » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:58 am

Spijed, maybe instead of just firing back you should read the link I shared with you. They've already furloughed most staff including players. If they don't have income they can't pay people. It doesn't matter if it's 2 weeks away or 2 years ago, they can't pay players to play football if they don't have income.

Darthlaw
Been Liked: 1185 times
Has Liked: 418 times

Post by Darthlaw » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:02 am

Not sure what the solution is for lower league clubs as realistically, they're likely to be out of business by the time fans are allowed back in the stadiums. They'll have other bills to pay away from playing and matchday staff.

Pay per view on an internet stream may be an alternative for them to get some revenue but I'm not sure that's likely to be a viable option for clubs that don't have broadcasting resources. Also, faced with competition from every other club being able to stream games, it's likely younger fans of lower league clubs will gravitate towards the larger clubs in their region i.e. rochdale and Bolton to Man U / Man City, Tranmere and Wigan to Liverpool / Everton, Accrington and Blackburn to Burnley ;) .

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2108 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:11 am

It's a hell of a lot easier to support voiding a season when your team is in mid table with nothing much to play for. I guarantee the same people wouldn't be pushing for it if we were in Liverpool or Sheffield Uniteds position.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:15 am

ksrclaret wrote:

If people are still dying, this virus is still rife and the government rules are no mass gatherings ( which I think will be the case for some time) then it is this simple. There will be no crowds whether football clubs like it or not. Think it will be no football or closed doors football for sometime. Football is not important at the moment in the grand scheme of things. I can’t see a new season in Summer with mass attendances happening and maybe not even this year.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:18 am

jrgbfc wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:11 am
It's a hell of a lot easier to support voiding a season when your team is in mid table with nothing much to play for. I guarantee the same people wouldn't be pushing for it if we were in Liverpool or Sheffield Uniteds position.
I wonder what Andy Holt's view would be if Accrington were ten points clear at the top of league one?

Darthlaw
Been Liked: 1185 times
Has Liked: 418 times

Post by Darthlaw » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:26 am

jrgbfc wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:11 am
I can only speak for myself, but yes if next season (and the financial health associated with it) was at risk due to a 'whatever it takes' mentality to finish this season, then I would still be pushing for it to be voided.

Liverpool will be fine, they'll no doubt have the best chance of winning a Euro Super league which would be formed to fill the void of a missing PL season. Sheffield United would probably prefer the money next season and the PL to continue existing, rather than a chance of european football.
Last edited by Darthlaw on Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:28 am

Spijed wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:18 am
I wonder what Andy Holt's view would be if Accrington were ten points clear at the top of league one?
Going from the comments I have seen him make over a length a time I would imagine they would be the same.

ChorltonCharlie

Post by ChorltonCharlie » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:43 am

Spijed wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:18 am
What difference would that matter? Are you suggesting that some clubs should go to the wall and thousands of people lose jobs just so that a few clubs in a sporting competition can be promoted? The EFL cannot afford to play behind closed doors, it is as simple as that. It doesn't mean void this season, but it does mean that they have a decision to make on whether they do void it or just wait to finish the season when fans are finally allowed back in. As I pointed out to you yesterday though, they can't make that decision in isolation because of dependencies on other leagues, and one of those other leagues has a dependency on European competition. It's a complete clusterf*ck that some people seem to be determined to make into really simple decisions and try and portray people as selfish if they don't fit with their view on what should happen.

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3964 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:23 am

wilks_bfc wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:43 am
But what costs would there be for a behind closed doors game, other than the playing staff.

There wouldn’t be a need for any stewards,
There wouldn’t be a need for food/drink kiosk staff
There wouldn’t be a need for hospitality staff
Games can be played anytime during the day, so no need to use the floodlights
Are you assuming that these are all home games?
What about travel etc. etc for the whole squad, medical staff etc from say Accrington to Gillingham or Southend? Not a simple logistical exercise I wouldn't have thought and certainly a big expense for a club like Accy.
I wouldn't imagine that actually staging the game is as inexpensive as you imply either.

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Post by Elizabeth » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:28 am

There may be options discussed on Friday like whether the season needs to end on 30th June, but I don't see how the PL clubs will be able to give a definitive answer.
There are too many other interested football bodies and the small matter of a virus that is still killing nearly up to a thousand in the UK.
Every day!!

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:20 pm

It's going to be months before anybody can go and watch football again.. That's if there is any football to watch.. Social distancing will be here for the rest of the year at least..

THEWELLERNUT70
Been Liked: 1036 times
Has Liked: 2039 times

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:12 pm

Void for me

Its incredible how many people on here seem to value leisure over life.

Its interesting that the PL are pushing for the season to be completed by June 30th so players contracts can be sorted.

If it were to go ahead in some format I could see all PL games at least being televised behind closed doors. Perhaps 2 per day with 5pm and 8pm kick offs.

Although how that would work logistically when you will have teams moving around the country I have absolutely no idea

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:18 pm

THEWELLERNUT70 wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:12 pm
Void for me

But, as already mentioned, you start to remove any pleasure from life going forward then you will have far more problems in the long run from suicides and other issues as people will start to question the point of living.

dsr

Post by dsr » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:18 pm

THEWELLERNUT70 wrote:
Void for me

Its interesting that the PL are pushing for the season to be completed by June 30th so players contracts can be sorted.

If it were to go ahead in some format I could see all PL games at least being televised behind closed doors. Perhaps 2 per day with 5pm and 8pm kick offs.

Although how that would work logistically when you will have teams moving around the country I have absolutely no idea
Can't we have both leisure and life? It seems to me that if literally all that we can be concerned about is keeping breathing, and as long as we keep breathing it is irrelevant if we ever enjoy ourselves, then life isn't worth living anyway.

Moving round the country is irrelevant. If a bus containing footballers leaves one football ground and drives, without so much as opening its doors, to another football ground - where is the danger? It's not as if it's travelling from an area with coronavirus to an area that's free of it.
This user liked this post: Spijed

THEWELLERNUT70

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:23 pm

dsr wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:18 pm
Can't we have both leisure and life? It seems to me that if literally all that we can be concerned about is keeping breathing, and as long as we keep breathing it is irrelevant if we ever enjoy ourselves, then life isn't worth living anyway.

Moving round the country is irrelevant. If a bus containing footballers leaves one football ground and drives, without so much as opening its doors, to another football ground - where is the danger? It's not as if it's travelling from an area with coronavirus to an area that's free of it.
Not for me, not at this time, no we cant. But then again I suppose you aren't someone who goes into work sh!tting themselves on every shift currently because of the job they do.

I'm currently on a 24 hour shift in a care home. Football and sport in general is a long long long way down my pecking order!

dsr

Post by dsr » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:30 pm

THEWELLERNUT70 wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:23 pm
Not for me, not at this time, no we cant. But then again I suppose you aren't someone who goes into work sh!tting themselves on every shift currently because of the job they do.

I'm currently on a 24 hour shift in a care home. Football and sport in general is a long long long way down my pecking order!
I admire you for doing the job. But even though your job is so very hard and responsible that it makes enjoying leisure time impossible - how does it help you if other people, who could be having fun, are made to be bored and miserable?

THEWELLERNUT70

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:45 pm

Mmmm let me think. No contest really if being bored/miserable for a few months saves lives for others because a none essential event cant take place......

This season needs a clean break, its obviously not a popular opinion granted and perhaps I'm coming from it from an all too selfish view point, but I honestly think that for the good of the game a line needs drawing through this season as opposed to the fudge thats keeping everyone dangling. That way then a plan can be made to move things forward for next season.

Just as an example how many individuals are needed to put on one match? What then happens god forbid that a couple in attendance test positive, does the league shut down again as a precaution? It may seen nonsense but then again so did what's currently happening a few weeks ago.

How long would you keep stop starting a season before eventually someone says enough is enough and pulls the plug?

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:09 am

THEWELLERNUT70 wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:45 pm
Mmmm let me think. No contest really if being bored/miserable for a few months saves lives for others because a none essential event cant take place......

This season needs a clean break, its obviously not a popular opinion granted and perhaps I'm coming from it from an all too selfish view point, but I honestly think that for the good of the game a line needs drawing through this season as opposed to the fudge thats keeping everyone dangling. That way then a plan can be made to move things forward for next season.

Just as an example how many individuals are needed to put on one match? What then happens god forbid that a couple in attendance test positive, does the league shut down again as a precaution? It may seen nonsense but then again so did what's currently happening a few weeks ago.

How long would you keep stop starting a season before eventually someone says enough is enough and pulls the plug?
How can you plan for next season when the situation will be the same as it is now?

THEWELLERNUT70

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:27 am

You are better to have one seasons backlog of fixtures as opposed to two imo and I can see both sides of this argument

Also if anyone else is bored or miserable, perhaps even have a bit of time on their hands, they could always sign up to be an NHS volunteer to help out in this time of National crisis, like my wife has done or even better come and help me, there are loads of vacancies currently in my line of work ;)

dsr

Post by dsr » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:40 pm

THEWELLERNUT70 wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:45 pm
All those arguments are equally valid for shutting down all TV channels apart from BBC news. I don't know how many people are involved in broadcasting, but it's a lot. Perhaps much of the internet could be closed as well - it's non-essential.

It's a matter of offsetting. If you make people stare at the walls and watch the paint dry for a few months, then there will be fewer peoplel die of coronavirus. But even if quality of life is to be totally ignored for the next few months and thereafter, and the only benchmark is the number of people still breathing at the end of the infection, then I do think that the more entertainment available, the better the mental and physical health of the people being entertained.

What happens if someone in Tesco tests positive? It doesn't shut down the store, I don't think. Don't they isolate the coronavirus person and carry on as before?
This user liked this post: TVC15

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Post by Elizabeth » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:10 pm

As expected talk of an absolute end date for this season of 30th June proved to be wide of the mark.
Clubs are committed to ending this season which falls into what the majority of fans want.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:22 pm

English Premier League football clubs decided against discussing a deadline by which play must resume at a meeting on Friday, although they remain committed to finishing the current season.

The 20 top-flight clubs were expected to debate a 30 June deadline but instead discussed "possible scheduling models".

In another development on Friday, the English Football League, which consists of the three divisions below the Premier League, says it is planning to stream every remaining game live once the season restarts.

Matches are likely to be played without crowds when the season is allowed to resume, EFL chairman Rick Parry warned.

Always thought 30 June was unrealistic,so i'm not surprised it's been pushed back.

Interesting development in the Football League,i guess this is one way of ensuring the clubs get some matchday income,how the logistics work in practice we'll have to see,but this is the best case scenario available if fans can't attend in person.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3322 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:49 pm

THEWELLERNUT70 wrote:
Void for me

Do you really think that anyone on here values “leisure over life” ?
Burnley football club is however very important to a lot of people - in the same way other clubs are one of the most important things in a lot of peoples lives.
It’s a lot more than fans wanting the season to finish because they are feeling a bit bored and miserable too but I wouldn’t underestimate how much of a lift bringing back football would have to millions of people.

Nobody is saying for one second that this is more important than the job you are doing or anyone else on the frontline (I have a wife and a daughter on the frontline so I’m not coming at this glibly).
But there are many non essential things that are continuing and they are putting peoples lives at risk much more than a football game behind closed doors would be.
I don’t see anything essential about ordering a pair of chav jogging pants from ASOS or Boohoo but have a drive up Widow Hill one morning and see if you think the groups of workers are socially distancing on their fag break.

Of course we are grateful for the job you do and sympathise with the challenges you are no doubt faced with every day but at some point I think like other countries are doing now we need to consider how we can bring back sport to the masses when it brings so many people so much relief and distraction from the pressure of other things in their lives.

Dy1geo

Post by Dy1geo » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:55 pm

If looks almost certain that the remaining matches for this season if started again are played behind closed doors.

If it looks more likely that next season starts behind closed doors clubs who are happy to take season ticket money should let us know where we stand if we miss a certain amount of matches regarding refunds etc

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:27 pm

Germany’s football league, the Bundesliga, could restart as early as 9 May. State leaders and football officials have suggested matches could go on behind closed doors under strict new hygiene measures. “A weekend with football is much more bearable than a weekend without football," Bavaria’s Premier Markus Söder said.

Is this realistic?i know Germany's dealing with this outbreak better than most other European countries,but restarting the season in just over 2 weeks is ambitious,for a start won't the players need at least a couple of friendlies to get themselves up to match fitness.

Reading online articles there does appear to be merit in these reports.

BERLIN (Reuters) - German football clubs are hoping a return to action is on the horizon, even if it means playing in closed stadiums, after the country's health minister and regional leaders said matches could potentially resume from May 9.

The Bundesliga has been suspended since mid-March due to the outbreak of the new coronavirus, which has infected more than 143,000 and killed over 4,500 in Germany.

Regional leaders in Bavaria and North Rhine Westphalia said on Monday (April 20) that any league resumption would be without fans and that there would be no action before May 9.

"These are very positive signals for any resumption of the season," said Bayern Munich CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge in a statement.

"It is important that we carefully adhere to any legal and medical guidelines in order to minimise any health risk."

Borussia Dortmund also welcomed the news, saying politicians had been convinced by the league's plans and that it was now up to clubs to stick to it.

"This is a show of faith from politics if it means we can play again from May 9 onwards," Dortmund CEO Hans-Joachim Watzke said.

"If the league did not have such a well thought-out plan then politicians would have taken a different decision. We now have an obligation to deliver."

German Health Minister Jens Spahn told Bild newspaper on Sunday that a resumption on May 9 would depend on the infection risk.

"What is crucial is that the infection risk is minimised," Spahn said. "That would be for millions of football fans from May 9 onwards a bit of normalcy even with empty stands." The German Football League will meet on Thursday to discuss the latest developments and consider a possible start date. Bayern are top of the Bundesliga, four points clear of Dortmund, with nine games left in the campaign.

The League has warned that many clubs in the first and second divisions faced an uncertain financial future and several would be in an "existence-threatening" situation if play did not resume by June.

Some German shops opened for business again this week after a month of lockdown in an agreement with the leaders of Germany's 16 states, all keen to start the long haul of pulling the economy out of recession.

UnderSeige
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 836 times

Post by UnderSeige » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:43 pm

Finish the season next spring (fully attended) if the pandemic is over by then.

I can't see mass gatherings being allowed until 80% of the population is immune. Thinking that the season is going to restart in the summer or autumn is pure fantasy.

Hundreds of events have already been cancelled. Some of these are as late as September.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_e ... s_pandemic

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:59 pm

UnderSeige wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:43 pm
Finish the season next spring (fully attended) if the pandemic is over by then.

I can't see mass gatherings being allowed until 80% of the population is immune. Thinking that the season is going to restart in the summer or autumn is pure fantasy.

Hundreds of events have already been cancelled. Some of these are as late as September.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_e ... s_pandemic
That's fine from a logistical POV,but how many clubs will still be sustainable by next spring,not to add the chaos with player's contracts,broadcast rights,and endless other issues that would ensue from football being idle for a year,if the German and Italian leagues start up in the next few weeks they'll be behind closed doors,so depending how that pans out could provide evidence whether it's viable to consider restarting the English season May/June time.

UnderSeige
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 836 times

Post by UnderSeige » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:17 pm

Tiger76 wrote: That's fine from a logistical POV,but how many clubs will still be sustainable by next spring,not to add the chaos with player's contracts,broadcast rights,and endless other issues that would ensue from football being idle for a year,if the German and Italian leagues start up in the next few weeks they'll be behind closed doors,so depending how that pans out could provide evidence whether it's viable to consider restarting the English season May/June time.
Add to that all the other problems in society and the economy. Business failures, job losses, people being shut up their homes all day; schools closed etc. Terrible!

Then compare with the events that will occur if we let mass gatherings take place before the pandemic is over. What choice is there? We are in a national crises in which many people are dying and many others are in life critical conditions. This is likely to continue for a few months yet. People are likely to need to 'social distance' (including footballers) for some time - even when the current restrictions are eased.

Lets hope that the big clubs and media companies can come up with something to help the smaller clubs through the next few months. I think there are already misgivings with running matches behind closed doors. Matches could not take place whilst pubs are showing them otherwise you would have numerous small gatherings in enclosed spaces. You might still get small gatherings in peoples homes if the pubs are closed.

I am confident that the scientists and pharmaceutical companies will have produced a vaccine by early next year. My guess is that we will be able to have proper live matches with full attendance next spring.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:36 pm

You may well be right US,UEFA are being ambiguous about leagues being cancelled,but they do appear to be heading in that direction,if circumstances dictate.

Uefa is still planning for a June restart across its leagues but says in "special cases" some could be cancelled because of the coronavirus pandemic.

All 55 European national FAs met by video conference on Tuesday when ways to finish the season were outlined.

Each involved a June start, with the Champions League final on 29 August.

Earlier this month, Uefa warned leagues that ending competitions early could result in them forfeiting Champions League and Europa League places.

However, the uncertainty over when football can restart has made detailed planning impossible and for the first time, Uefa has accepted completing the season in some countries may not be possible.

"There was a strong recommendation given to finish domestic top division and cup competitions, but some special cases will be heard once guidelines concerning participation to European competitions - in case of a cancelled league - have been developed," Uefa said in a statement after the meeting.

It was not explicitly outlined to associations what "special cases" would mean. However, Uefa expects leagues to come to it with their reasons for wanting a season to be ended prematurely.

The Belgian Pro League became the first major European league to be cancelled because of coronavirus on 15 April.

Uefa has to work out the qualification process for its 2020-21 competitions, which might overlap with the end of the 2019-20 season.

While the qualification process is an afterthought for the major European leagues, it represents a crucial part of the fixture calendar for many countries.

The number of countries involved has created a massive logistical headache for Uefa at a time when travel bans are in place across Europe.

The current plan is to play the 2020-21 season as normal, including two-legged ties, but with the usual dates already put back, this may be impossible to implement.

It is also not clear how Uefa intends to play out the Champions League and Europa League this season, with both still to complete the last-16 stage.

The option of fitting games into the schedule around league matches as normal remains, as does completing the tournaments after domestic leagues have finished. No deadline has been put on making a final decision but the latter choice would seem more likely as it is hoped - by August - that travel restrictions will have eased.

No changes have been made so far to the international calendar, with all matches currently postponed until September.

It is anticipated the Euro 2020 play-offs will be completed at the earliest available opportunity, and the use of triple match windows during international breaks has not been ruled out given the present desire to complete every tournament.

The working group responsible for coming up with a revised fixture calendar will meet on Wednesday, with Uefa's executive committee due to meet on Thursday.

That meeting is also expected to provide an update on the Women's European Championship, which is set to take place in July 2022, and the Nations League. Both have been moved to allow Euro 2020 to take place a year later than scheduled.

Regarding your point about the smaller clubs being protected during this footballing shutdown,i genuinely don't have a definitive answer yet,now if the season is officially cancelled,then the EFL might be able to arrange something around payments to ensure clubs can survive,at least until the game is up and running once more,but whatever the outcome,i can't see how most EFL clubs won't be able to avoid major cost-cutting and job losses.

Dy1geo

Post by Dy1geo » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:40 pm

Dutch League Eridivisie looking over until 1st September as Dutch Government has banned all sporting events even behind closed doors. Will it be the first of many?

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:49 pm

Dy1geo wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:40 pm
Dutch League Eridivisie looking over until 1st September as Dutch Government has banned all sporting events even behind closed doors. Will it be the first of many?
We are more likely to follow what they do in Germany, Spain and Italy.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:31 pm

No prospect of any sporting events in Ireland anytime soon.

Major public gatherings of more than 5,000 people will remain banned in the Republic of Ireland until at least 1 September.

Large gatherings have been restricted since 24 March. The government said on Tuesday that local authorities had been advised not to consider licences for any such events.

It means no major sporting fixtures or concerts will take place in the country this summer.

On Tuesday the government confirmed there had been 44 more coronavirus-linked deaths in the Republic of Ireland, bringing the total to 730. Some 388 new cases have also been confirmed, with the total now 16,040.

They're our nearest neighbours,and they share a border with the UK, so it's likely we'll follow them closely.

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:49 pm

Spijed wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:49 pm
We are more likely to follow what they do in Germany, Spain and Italy.
We are more likely to follow what Sky say.

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2416 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:49 pm

I'm with Sean Dyche on this. Complete the current season.

Football is not a barometer of the health of a Nation, but people expect football to be there and when it comes back there will be a sense of normality, a feeling that "the worst is over"!

Dy1geo

Post by Dy1geo » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:54 pm

conyoviejo wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:49 pm
We are more likely to follow what Sky say.
That’s probably true Nixon has more or less said clubs are waiting for Sky response, if Sky guarantee the money even if season not finished, I think the integrity of finishing the league will be forgotten and it will be voided subject to UEFA agreement