Current Season Void Or Continue

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Re: Current Season Void Or Continue

Post by tiger76 » Sun May 03, 2020 7:33 pm

Elizabeth wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 7:16 pm
Everyone can see their game.
While the PL still have the power to decide on relegation if they choose to, similar to leagues in the countries who have ceased their competition, I hope that some of the bottom teams, especially those in the bottom 3, will decide it better to determine their fate on the field.
In other words to not join in this nonsense.
If they think they can get the required numbers,then you've Bob Hope and no hope.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sun May 03, 2020 7:38 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 7:33 pm
If they think they can get the required numbers,then you've Bob Hope and no hope.
Under current rules the Premier League can't block promotion from the Championship so they would need the agreement from the EFL.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3087 times
Has Liked: 3808 times

Post by NewClaret » Sun May 03, 2020 7:46 pm

Way I’d deal with this....

Vote number one:

Do we finish and void the season, or restart the season? 75% in favour required. Binding outcome.

Vote number two:

PL present three options on how to end the season. Timing of all options variable on govt advice. Two rounds of voting. One option eliminated after first round votes, then the remaining two go head to head, most votes wins.

If any club opts not to accept outcome, they forfeit all games they don’t play in.

That way, we don’t get a few selfish clubs spoiling it for the rest of us.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sun May 03, 2020 7:52 pm

Also, if everyone’s so worried about a) the players/staff contracting the virus, b) congregation outside grounds, I can’t really see the harm in playing the remaining games out abroad, in locations with far fewer cases.

China, anyone?

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Mon May 04, 2020 3:22 pm

The bottom 5 or 6 are clearly going to do all they can to void the season, or scrap relegation. Complaining about losing home advantage by playing at neutral venues. But surely, it's the same for everyone and is there really any home advantage when playing in an empty stadium?
This user liked this post: burnleymik

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3079 times
Has Liked: 5044 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Mon May 04, 2020 4:39 pm

According to the Mirror the vote has to be 14-6 in favour for it to pass, and according to the Mirror that is the split at the moment, with 14 wanting to complete the season and 6 not. A couple of the 6 would be willing to finish the season as long as they can address some issues, such as the Neutral venues. I want the season to finish, but I think the idea of neutral venues is ridiculous. Why is one ground considered cleaner than the next. Every club is capable of employing competent Hygienists, and if every club/ground can be cleaned why can't a team play at home.

The issue of fans watching is different, but the entourage that follow every team away, and I don't mean the fans, also needs looking at. It should be the barest minimum, and no overnight stays pre match. Straight to ground, play game, straight home. IMO I could start the season this Saturday, so long as everyone abides by the guidelines, there is no reason to fear playing football again. I don't see how you can ban professionals playing football, but it's alright for them to go to Tescos.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3154 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Mon May 04, 2020 4:45 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 7:52 pm
Also, if everyone’s so worried about a) the players/staff contracting the virus, b) congregation outside grounds, I can’t really see the harm in playing the remaining games out abroad, in locations with far fewer cases.

China, anyone?
FIFA statutes block domestic league games from occurring in another country that has it's own domestic league - these rules were upheld by CAS (Court of Arbitration for Sport) last year when Barcelona were prevented from playing a league match in Miami - much to the chagrin of La Liga boss Javier Tebas

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8488 times
Has Liked: 18214 times

Post by Bosscat » Mon May 04, 2020 5:08 pm

Just popped onto the Lancashire Blackburnegraph and saw this post.... it makes a valid point and to me was quite well thought out... (but then again thats only my opinion 😁)

Regarding the current behind closed doors idea...

Being honest, I think they're flogging a dead horse. Professional football has to be played in front of supporters or it will loose its competitive edge. Playing on neutral grounds with no supporters will in my mind create all sorts of crazy results and clubs will have lots of regrets when the dust settles.

Personally I think they should wait and resume later in the year.
I would then cancel next season's league fixtures and have a season of reformatted cup games.
Change the FA cup and League cup into tournament style competition to stretch the season and maybe even add a memorial competition for the victims of the pandemic.
Midweek games could stopped for that 1 season, again to help stretch the season, with a winter break added.
Yes, it would be a strange season, but in my view so much easier than trying to cram in too many games.

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Post by Elizabeth » Mon May 04, 2020 5:09 pm

I have read that the club vote will be whether to go ahead with the Restart Project and that if the bottom 6 try and sabotage it, the Top 6 clubs will lobby to ensure league results stand up to the suspension of the season, meaning relegation will be decided anyway.
It's inconceivable to me that these bottom clubs could scupper the return of football.
The government are driving the neutral venues
This user liked this post: Colburn_Claret

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Mon May 04, 2020 5:14 pm

Elizabeth wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 5:09 pm
I have read that the club vote will be whether to go ahead with the Restart Project and that if the bottom 6 try and sabotage it, the Top 6 clubs will lobby to ensure league results stand up to the suspension of the season, meaning relegation will be decided anyway.
It's inconceivable to me that these bottom clubs could scupper the return of football.
The government are driving the neutral venues
The rumour is that it is Spurs (of all clubs) who are undecided on neutral venues - bottom 6 against, other 13 will comply with recommendations - Spurs have become very dependent on revenues from European football and are obviously fearful of not having any next year

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Mon May 04, 2020 5:21 pm

Bosscat wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 5:08 pm
Just popped onto the Lancashire Blackburnegraph and saw this post.... it makes a valid point and to me was quite well thought out... (but then again thats only my opinion 😁)

Regarding the current behind closed doors idea...

Being honest, I think they're flogging a dead horse. Professional football has to be played in front of supporters or it will loose its competitive edge. Playing on neutral grounds with no supporters will in my mind create all sorts of crazy results and clubs will have lots of regrets when the dust settles.

Personally I think they should wait and resume later in the year.
I would then cancel next season's league fixtures and have a season of reformatted cup games.
Change the FA cup and League cup into tournament style competition to stretch the season and maybe even add a memorial competition for the victims of the pandemic.
Midweek games could stopped for that 1 season, again to help stretch the season, with a winter break added.
Yes, it would be a strange season, but in my view so much easier than trying to cram in too many games.
I know what you are saying about playing without fans - it will be awful....almost as bad as being at Ewood !

But this has been beyond what matters to football fans for many years now. If football proceeded as you are suggesting it would wipe out many clubs - including possibly us. Clubs might be able to afford lose 8 or 9 games of TV money but not more than a seasons worth. A few cup games is not going to generate anywhere near enough money from Sky / overseas rights etc.

I’m not saying I disagree with the sentiment of this but just can’t see clubs going for it - they will be trying to get the game back to some kind of normality as quickly as possible with the only difference being no fans. They will try and negotiate deals to increase the number of games to be shown live on TV to help compensate any losses from match day revenues or losses from cutting this season short. They won’t admit this to the public but in reality that is all they are bothered about.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Mon May 04, 2020 5:26 pm

the latest government guidelines - released today - for people returning to work who work outdoors

Working outdoors
Only workers deemed necessary to carry out physical work or supervision should physically attend
Changing layouts to let workers work further apart
Using screens to separate people from each other
Using a consistent pairing system if people have to work in close proximity
Avoiding employees working face-to-face. For example, by working side-by-side or facing away from each other

now does anyone think you can play football like that?

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Mon May 04, 2020 5:32 pm

I can see why the big 6 are desperate to restart the season now.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52529679

CP and others will have more info,but on paper our position isn't that bad,of course that could rapidly change if the TV money vanishes,or is drastically reduced.

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Mon May 04, 2020 5:33 pm

Top-flight clubs have been told that using up to 10 neutral stadiums will be the only way to complete the season.

Brighton say they are "not in favour" of using neutral venues because it may affect the "integrity" of the league.

Clubs near the bottom of the table feel it is unfair to play in such different conditions when at risk of relegation.

A growing number of Premier League clubs are open to playing the remaining fixtures at neutral venues but with the threat of relegation removed.

A larger 23-team division has been suggested, with three teams added from the Championship. But with an already crowded calendar, that is not an option currently being considered by the Premier League.

The BBC has learned the Premier League fears six or seven clubs are opposed to neutral stadiums.

But there is also a sense that within that group there are disagreements over how they want the season to end.

The neutral stadium proposal needs 14 out of 20 clubs to vote in favour for it to be adopted.

the above is off the BBC website, can someone explain why neutral grounds are being used ? also, the bit in the piece about some clubs being agreeable, but only if the relegation aspect is removed. I might be missing something obvious, but i do not understand. Can anyone explain please.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Mon May 04, 2020 5:47 pm

Re: above post

I bet there are disagreements within that Relegation group over how they want the season to end. Especially Bournemouth , Aston Villa and Norwich who would be relegated if results stand.
Brighton and West Ham know what they are doing and I would be surprised if the other 3 mentioned fell for it

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Mon May 04, 2020 5:58 pm

Elizabeth wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 5:47 pm
Re: above post

I bet there are disagreements within that Relegation group over how they want the season to end. Especially Bournemouth , Aston Villa and Norwich who would be relegated if results stand.
Brighton and West Ham know what they are doing and I would be surprised if the other 3 mentioned fell for it
The thing is results won't stand Elizabeth.What will happen will be a choice of two things.

1) Finish the matches to a conclusion when able to do so

2) cancel the league with no promotion or relegation.. You can't just say the bottom three as it stands would be the bottom three if it was finished.

The obvious thing to do is choice 1 when able to do so.. 8-)

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Mon May 04, 2020 6:03 pm

I'm glad you had the decency to put your shades on con
This user liked this post: Chester Perry

dsr
Been Liked: 4576 times
Has Liked: 2264 times

Post by dsr » Mon May 04, 2020 6:11 pm

Wile E Coyote wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 5:33 pm
Brighton say they are "not in favour" of using neutral venues because it may affect the "integrity" of the league.
What happens next year if the first nine games are played at neutral stadiums and then it becomes possible to play home games with crowds?

I bet you a ten pound note to a second hand jelly baby that Brighton's objections about "integrity" would disappear. A blind man on a galloping horse can se they are frightened of relegation and don't give a stuff about fairness and integrity.
This user liked this post: UnderSeige

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Mon May 04, 2020 6:34 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 4:45 pm
FIFA statutes block domestic league games from occurring in another country that has it's own domestic league - these rules were upheld by CAS (Court of Arbitration for Sport) last year when Barcelona were prevented from playing a league match in Miami - much to the chagrin of La Liga boss Javier Tebas
Very informative, thank you. Surely in such extraordinary circumstances they would make an exception?

More I think of it, the more I like the idea, especially if “fans” could be let in the ground so there’s some form of atmosphere?!?

Apparently, we’re massive in South Korea!

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Mon May 04, 2020 6:48 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 5:32 pm

CP and others will have more info,but on paper our position isn't that bad,of course that could rapidly change if the TV money vanishes,or is drastically reduced.
I have been struggling (and mostly failing) over the last couple of days to put something together that looks at all this and how we sit amongst it - whilst the article is useful and presents a stark picture it is also far from complete - particularly around cash flows (something @SwissRamble has started looking at for the big six and he will give more detail on tomorrow). There are so many unknowns that everyone including the clubs are having to deal with though.

For a lot of clubs the May/June month ends are going to be critical, not only are there salaries to be paid - it is when most of the bonuses are paid also when those important clauses in transfer contracts are paid like the club staying in the Premier League and cumulative appearances, there will also be stage payments in previous transfers (our club typically pay transfer fees over 3 years according to a previous Garlick interview). All these are important under the football creditor rules - fail the payments and one of the first impacts is transfer embargo is put on you.

For comparison we have a maximum outstanding transfer exposure of £29m (outstanding fees £22m plus £7m based on conditions being achieved) with £14m being owed to us (not all of either is due this summer) For Southampton it is different they are exposed to £116m of transfer debt (£90m fees and £26m conditional), £47m of those fees are due to be paid this summer, this summers liabilities on conditions is not publicly known).

Significantly May/June is the time when factored loans come due - these are the short to medium term loans taken out against future tv income or transfer stage payments and require full payment with interest. Every club bar Burnley (and possibly Manchester United) in the Premier League makes use of them. The sums in involved can range from £4m to £40m+ and are used by clubs to help cashflow, and are often (in case of the ones with TV rights as collateral) bounced from season to season in a spiral clubs struggle to escape from.

Of course if the season is cancelled there is a question over whether bonuses have to be paid (that may be dependent in contract wording and no doubt will fit into discussion of terminology used by the Premier League if the situation arises. Similar discussion will occur over the distribution of merit payments from the Premier League - though interestingly given the distribution criteria (especially the new ones for the overseas money) it is highly probable that should the season be curtailed and the overseas broadcasters demand refunds for the unplayed games there will not that much for merit payments/tv appearances and the gaps between highest and lowest earners will be the narrowest for a few years.

While our club is currently strong financially and can still pay our costs from cash holdings (I suspect at least 5 Premier League clubs will run out of cash this month) the longer this drags on the more difficult it gets as our owners are probably unable to put more than a couple of months operating costs into the club combined. In comparison West Ham are having a £30m rights issue, Villa owners have "invested" £170m + in share capital in the last 2 years. Though the fact we are one of the few smaller clubs not to have talk about furloughing, deferrals or cuts should stand us in good stead reputationally with players in the near future.

Things will be made a little easier for us in the short term if Sky and BT do pay the remaining monies whatever the outcome. Moreso, if it is confirmed that the new season will start late August/September - under those conditions we would be in a stronger position than many and be able to use that to our advantage if we chose to, though we may prefer to rebuild the cash position.

My one nagging doubt is over our new Chief Exec not because I know anything about him, I don't, but because of his relative in-experience within the game. Dave Baldwin proved a wonderful asset in growing our club, and is a big loss - Neil Hart is obviously well regarded (we nicked him from the clutches of Huddersfield) but his background does not seem to fit the snake pit that is the Premier League and one could question whether he has the capability to grow the club. It is a problem Everton are facing with Denise Barret-Baxendale she too ran the club's community foundation, is well regarded and very much in charge, but questions are starting to emerge from the fanbase and observers if she has the strategic capability to move the club to the next level
Last edited by Chester Perry on Mon May 04, 2020 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Mon May 04, 2020 7:05 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 5:32 pm

This is is exactly why I think we will be more likely to hold on to Dwight, Tarks & Pope this transfer window. The top six will be disproportionately impacted by lost match day revenue.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3148 times
Has Liked: 10237 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Mon May 04, 2020 7:25 pm

And the others will be hit as hard as us, if not more so. Thank God for the prudence of our board.

UnderSeige
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 833 times

Post by UnderSeige » Mon May 04, 2020 7:27 pm

dsr wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 6:11 pm
What happens next year if the first nine games are played at neutral stadiums and then it becomes possible to play home games with crowds?
That is a likely scenario if a vaccine to COVID-19 becomes available in Q4 2020 or Q1 2021. It could be half a season of 'behind closed doors rubbish' and then safe to have 'proper matches with fans' for the rest of the season.
I bet you a ten pound note to a second hand jelly baby that Brighton's objections about "integrity" would disappear. A blind man on a galloping horse can see they are frightened of relegation and don't give a stuff about fairness and integrity.
It's an axiom of economics that all producers and consumers act in their own self interest. That is exactly what Brighton would be doing.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3079 times
Has Liked: 5044 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Mon May 04, 2020 7:28 pm

I've read many times that it is the governments initiative to play at neutral venues, but I fail to see what difference it makes.
Why is Liverpool v Burnley at Anfield deemed unsafe, yet Liverpool v Burnley at Elland Road deemed ok. The footfall into the ground of technicians, players, staff would be exactly the same at both venues, so what is it.
I'm not trying to be obtuse, just genuinely don't get it.

An after thought, if they are going to use certain stadiums, all behind closed doors, why not use the bottom 6 grounds. Then they can have no complaint about losing any advantage. The relegated 3 are still almost guaranteed to come from those 6.
This user liked this post: Pstotto

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Mon May 04, 2020 7:39 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 7:28 pm
I've read many times that it is the governments initiative to play at neutral venues, but I fail to see what difference it makes.
I think that it because they are worried that a number fans would gather around stadiums in their own towns. They might do this so that they could cheer their team on from outside the ground.

Pstotto
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by Pstotto » Mon May 04, 2020 7:51 pm

Relegate the bottom six if they don't comply.

There's a bit about neutral stadium choices on the web with Turf Moor likely to be ruled out 'because it is near to housing and has good transport links'.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Mon May 04, 2020 7:55 pm

Now that's what I call thinking outside the box Colburn. Love the idea so much I'm not even going to spoil the idea by working out why it wouldn't work.
Would like to be there to see Karen Brady's face as the news was broke to her and watching her quickly gulp at the realisation that West Ham would have to see the season out after all.
This user liked this post: Colburn_Claret

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Mon May 04, 2020 8:32 pm

Pstotto wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 7:51 pm
Relegate the bottom six if they don't comply.

There's a bit about neutral stadium choices on the web with Turf Moor likely to be ruled out 'because it is near to housing and has good transport links'.
If they try and ruin it for everyone else, I think we should relegate all six, promote top six from the Championship. Problem solved.

Pstotto
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by Pstotto » Mon May 04, 2020 8:37 pm

Agree.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Mon May 04, 2020 8:40 pm

UnderSeige wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 7:27 pm
That is a likely scenario if a vaccine to COVID-19 becomes available in Q4 2020 or Q1 2021. It could be half a season of 'behind closed doors rubbish' and then safe to have 'proper matches with fans' for the rest of the season.
More I think about this, the more I think there’s mileage in playing in a foreign country without the disease, where spectators can attend. Probably too late to sort it out for the completion of the premier league, but an option for 20/21. All games on TV, clubs to share additional TV money & gate receipts.

- Safer for the players if country is free of disease.

- No chance of congregation, which everyone seems to think will be such an issue.

- Spectators to create an atmosphere of sorts.

- Promotes the PL in another country (probably Asia).

- Generates additional income through both TV and gate receipts than they would otherwise receive.

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Mon May 04, 2020 8:42 pm

Elizabeth wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 10:30 am
Thanks Paul, I wouldn't have seen that article otherwise.
Puts a strong case for trying to get the season completed.
Would be good now to see a similar piece putting the case for ending the season now.
The following is a case for ending football until we can play fully attended matches again. It's from Michael Ball (former Everton defender) of the Liverpool Echo.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/f ... k-18196239
The only thing I know is football and I just cannot wait for it to come back.

But after listening to Project Restart, football, at the end of the day, is just a game.

It gives enjoyment to the people who watch it, the people who play it, but it is just a game. Right now this is a life and death situation and these are the ideas the Football Association are coming up with?

Players wearing masks during games? No contact in training? Are they for real?

It is baffling. It is making football a laughing stock. The ideas are embarrassing. We all want it back but it's not complicated. It's difficult times and there is big money from TV to think about but it has to happen. It's a pill they have to swallow.

The season has to be paused until it is safe and lockdown is over. Then, when clubs can start playing and training together, we restart the season If it is too late then who cares? It's just a game.

If you start taking these risks and a player, a fan, a cleaner, the kit-man, the dinner-ladies, if anyone involved with the club tests positive and is on the wrong side of coronavirus it isn't worth it at all.

What are they going to do if they start up again? It is a contact sport. Who wants to watch football without any contact? It's just daft.

Football is a big part of our culture in England and other countries but it is just a game and I'm seeing all these ideas and it baffles me that people are even trying to discuss this. Just wait.

The longer we wait, the harder it is for us all but it will be worthwhile in the long-run. It is a sacrifice we have to make.

Eventually, there are two options we can take to end the Premier League season.

ither we null and void it or freeze it. Obviously a lot of clubs want to restart which is understandable so let's just wait until everything is clear.

It's better to be safe than sorry. The government has taken too many risks in my opinion and it has caused havoc. People don't know what's ahead of us. Stop guessing and coming up with ideas because it's making players worry.

There are just too many problems with these ideas. They are complicating a simple matter. Let us sit and wait. It'll be hard on the financial side of things but hopefully when football restarts everything will be all rosy again.

In my opinion, stop all the talking, come out with a big statement and say the season is on hold until further notice. Stop guessing and stop getting players worried.

Players are watching these bulletins and they are worried. They have young families, they have mums and dads and grandparents. There's a bigger picture out there.

It's difficult right now but it is really frustrating me that the game that I love is making itself look a bit of a laughing stock. Let's freeze the season and see what happens when the government shapes their opinion whenever that might be.

I think it would be fair to try and finish the season but it has to finish the way it started.

There's no point going to neutral venues. Everton have to play Liverpool and we want to be at Goodison Park with a full house behind us to give us that boost to beat our arch-rivals.

Playing in a neutral venue with no fans? It's just daft. It's not what supporters want. It's not going to be enjoyable and the risk to the players is absolutely pointless.

If it goes longer they might have to make a big decision and possibly copy Holland. But teams fighting relegation are waiting for their home games, they are their six-pointers. They would feel hard-done by in a neutral venue.

The season has got to finish, if they can, in the way it started. If not, they have to null and void it I feel.

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Mon May 04, 2020 8:47 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 8:40 pm
More I think about this, the more I think there’s mileage in playing in a foreign country without the disease, where spectators can attend. Probably too late to sort it out for the completion of the premier league, but an option for 20/21. All games on TV, clubs to share additional TV money & gate receipts.

- Safer for the players if country is free of disease.

- No chance of congregation, which everyone seems to think will be such an issue.

- Spectators to create an atmosphere of sorts.

- Promotes the PL in another country (probably Asia).

- Generates additional income through both TV and gate receipts than they would otherwise receive.
Chris Wood might like the following as a suggestion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auy2iaggxRk

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2461 times
Has Liked: 1992 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Mon May 04, 2020 8:51 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 7:28 pm
Why is Liverpool v Burnley at Anfield deemed unsafe, yet Liverpool v Burnley at Elland Road deemed ok. The footfall into the ground of technicians, players, staff would be exactly the same at both venues, so what is it.
I'm not trying to be obtuse, just genuinely don't get it.

An after thought, if they are going to use certain stadiums, all behind closed doors, why not use the bottom 6 grounds. Then they can have no complaint about losing any advantage. The relegated 3 are still almost guaranteed to come from those 6.
I think the project might be two matches on the same day at each neutral ground. Therefore only needing to test half the ancillary staff. They would only need an hour or so to disinfect changing rooms and touchline accomodation.
They are also fearful of fans gathering outside stadia. If Liverpool need 3 points for the title the red half of Liverpool would all want to be there, inside or out. Remember these are scousers. Brain cells are in short supply.

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Mon May 04, 2020 9:09 pm

Premier League Players Could refuse to start the season. There are also worries that 'Player Insurance' might be void if they play during the Pandemic.
Clubs will talk to their players in the next 48 hours to gauge opinions about whether they are prepared to carry on under the current Project Restart proposals.

The Professional Footballers’ Association and League Managers’ Association are also to be consulted and it is the outcome of these talks which may decide whether the Premier League feel they can push on.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... e-21967929

If some of these players are reluctant to participate in the restart, what will their performance be like on the pitch?

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Mon May 04, 2020 9:20 pm

Row brewing between EFL and Premier League over parachute payments.

The EFL look to be challenging the argument that a swift return of the Premier League would help the rest of football. The Chairman of the EFL (Rick Parry) will appear before a government select committee tomorrow.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... e-payments

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Mon May 04, 2020 9:26 pm

John Aldridge believes Premier League clubs arguing against neutral ground will have to go with the flow for the good of the game.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/f ... r-18198760

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Mon May 04, 2020 11:04 pm

the entire situation is a mess, fraught with all manner of problems. I definately wanted a restart, but as each day passes there are more issues cropping up. its one thing looking at games with no fans, but with all the potential legal wrangles, players and clubs not on same page, not to mention the obvious health risks, it doesnt appear likely it will be resolved properly.shame for the fans, but we might as well wait until football gets the green light, and matches can be played under normal conditions, however long it takes.

dsr

Post by dsr » Mon May 04, 2020 11:43 pm

UnderSeige wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 8:42 pm
The following is a case for ending football until we can play fully attended matches again. It's from Michael Ball (former Everton defender) of the Liverpool Echo.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/f ... k-18196239
Do you know, in the whole of that Michael Ball article I can't find the line where he says "obviously the players know that if there is no money coming into football they will not be getting paid". I wonder why not.

dsr

Post by dsr » Mon May 04, 2020 11:45 pm

UnderSeige wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 9:09 pm
Premier League Players Could refuse to start the season. There are also worries that 'Player Insurance' might be void if they play during the Pandemic.
Easily solved. Players who can't face working, can go on furlough. They're eligible for the government's scheme - 80% of wages, £2k per month maximum - they'll be fine.

tarkys_ears
Has Liked: 1517 times

Post by tarkys_ears » Tue May 05, 2020 12:20 am

Legal nightmare if they carry on.

I suppose the weight of ongoing claims might be outweighed by the instant cash injection - that's all they'll care about at the moment.

They need to cancel the bloody season, the next one is about to start!

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Tue May 05, 2020 8:00 am

Wile E Coyote wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 11:04 pm
the entire situation is a mess, fraught with all manner of problems. I definately wanted a restart, but as each day passes there are more issues cropping up. its one thing looking at games with no fans, but with all the potential legal wrangles, players and clubs not on same page, not to mention the obvious health risks, it doesnt appear likely it will be resolved properly.shame for the fans, but we might as well wait until football gets the green light, and matches can be played under normal conditions, however long it takes.
Agree, does seem increasingly unlikely, or fraught with issues if it does.

As you say - a shame for the fans really, especially in these hard times when some entertainment wouldn’t go amiss.

My only hope being that clubs, and presumably therefore players, will lose a lot of money if it doesn’t restart now and next season doesn’t start on time(ish). Hoping that focusses the mind to find a solution.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Tue May 05, 2020 8:03 am

dsr wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 11:45 pm
Easily solved. Players who can't face working, can go on furlough. They're eligible for the government's scheme - 80% of wages, £2k per month maximum - they'll be fine.
Agree. Shocking that supermarket workers & the NHS can carry on in these circumstances but footballers can’t (assuming reasonable measures are put in place).

Furlough those unhappy/willing to continue.

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Tue May 05, 2020 9:40 am

NewClaret wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 8:03 am
Agree. Shocking that supermarket workers & the NHS can carry on in these circumstances but footballers can’t (assuming reasonable measures are put in place).

Furlough those unhappy/willing to continue.
That's because they are classed as key workers, whilst footballers are classed as overpaid whinging soft bastids .

claret2018
Been Liked: 810 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Tue May 05, 2020 10:10 am

We are fast running out of time to complete the season, which leaves 2 options - come up with a way to calculate the remaining games, or void this season. Personally I can't see any other option than voiding, anything else would be too open to legal challenge.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Tue May 05, 2020 10:10 am

Gordon Taylor muckying the water with suggestions that the new games will have halves lasting less than 45 mins

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52542756

which is news to some clubs

https://twitter.com/Matt_Law_DT/status/ ... 7644942337

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Tue May 05, 2020 11:18 am

dsr wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 11:43 pm
Do you know, in the whole of that Michael Ball article I can't find the line where he says "obviously the players know that if there is no money coming into football they will not be getting paid". I wonder why not.
This raises all sorts of questions and issues. Is there a link to an article on this?
  • Can Premiership clubs survive the few months in which there is likely to be no matches? Some may struggle. I don't know.
  • Can a club withdraw wages from a player who refuses to play in a global pandemic? It may be an implicit condition of the contract that the player does not need to play under such circumstances. There needs to be a "duty of mutual trust and confidence' https://www.rocketlawyer.com/gb/en/quic ... t-contract
  • How many players are reluctant to play? Is it the majority or just a few? So far I have only heard about Aguero and the chap from Brighton who are expressing reluctance to play. For all we know this may not be a major problem. Liverpool players are likely to be chomping at the bit.
  • Whatever stance a club takes it needs to have it's players and staff on board. If a club is at loggerheads with it's players problems may spill over onto a pitch and will likely remain for some time after the pandemic is over. If a club somehow gets players to play against their will there is a lot the players can do to frustrate the issue:
    • Play but not in a competitive manner - just have a kick about for 90 minutes - Don't think our players would do that
    • Claim to have sore throat on match day - Match called off.
    • Squad discipline - thinking back to the film The Damned United
    • We don't want to see these things happening in clubs
  • If just one player tests positive for coronavirus no player from his team will be allowed to play for two weeks. Any player who has been in contact with that player (including the team played in the last fixture) will also need to isolate. This could frustrate the fixture schedule. One player testing positive would cause at least 3 matches to be called off. There is nothing a club would be able to do about it. They would be in serious trouble if they insisted that a player go onto the pitch having tested positive.
  • Players out of contract will not need to paid unless a new short term contract is drawn up with terms specific to the pandemic. This could help some clubs.
  • Transfer value and players wages may fall in the next year or two. Might not be a bad thing for Burnley.
  • TV money likely to be available again in a few months when pandemic is over?

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1507 times
Has Liked: 580 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Tue May 05, 2020 11:29 am

Chester Perry wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 10:10 am
Gordon Taylor muckying the water with suggestions that the new games will have halves lasting less than 45 mins

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52542756

which is news to some clubs

https://twitter.com/Matt_Law_DT/status/ ... 7644942337
Utterly ridiculous.

Im_not_Robbie_Blake
Been Liked: 383 times
Has Liked: 234 times

Post by Im_not_Robbie_Blake » Tue May 05, 2020 11:37 am

The I'm Not Robbie Blake Plan

Premier League, EFL and FA
Plan for completion of 2019-20 and for 2020-21 seasons

Why?

A contingency plan is necessary in the event that the 2019-20 football season cannot be completed before the2020-21 season is due to start. Fixture congestion would be a major problem, and cup competitions may well have to be abandoned for at least one year.

A possible solution

2019-20 season
All Premier League, EFL and FA Cup fixtures to be completed when possible, even if after what would normally be the start of the following season, behind closed doors but at ‘normal’ home & away venues. All league titles, promotion and relegation (including promotion play-offs) as ‘normal’

2020-21 season
In that eventuality that the 2019-20 season has to be extended as above, the 2020-21 season would be modified as follows:

Premier League
For one season only this becomes two groups of ten clubs. One group to consist of clubs finishing the 2019-20 season in 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, 11th, 13th, 15th and 17th positions plus one promoted sides from Championship (possibly 1st) – this would be the ‘Odd’ group. The other group to consist of clubs finishing 2nd, 4th, 6th, 8th, 10th, 12th, 14th and 16th positions plus two promoted sides from the Championship (possibly 2nd and play-off winners) – this would be the ‘Even’ group.

Both groups play home and away fixtures, behind closed doors if necessary, after which the top sides from each group play a two-leg play-off (or a Wembley final) to decide which club is crowned Premier League champions. The top 2 clubs from each group qualify to play in the Champions League. The clubs finishing 2nd in each group would have a play-off to decide which would qualify for the Champions League without having to play qualifying matches. Europa League qualification would be organised in a similar way, with clubs finishing below the top two in each group going forward.

The clubs finishing bottom of each group would be relegated.

Either there would just be two clubs relegated or there would be a play-off for sides finishing 9th in each league to decide which of them remains in the Premier League in 2021-2022 season.

Championship, League 1 and League 2
The system described above would also apply, with modifications because of the greater number of clubs in these leagues.

FA Cup, League Cup
Both to go ahead as normal. Fixture congestion shouldn’t be a problem unless the 2019-20 season needs to continue beyond Autumn 2020.

corporal jones
Been Liked: 96 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by corporal jones » Tue May 05, 2020 12:20 pm

all this mounting panic is because of the financial hit that football is staring at if we don't play again soon-why is it a big hit? because of the ludicrous contracts that the players are on. Why can we and they all see sense and cut all monies to all players affected at all levels by 50% until we can play again. If that takes players at lower levels to below 2500 then that can be furloughed. The rest will survive and not starve. If they refuse then footballers are going to find them selves without a club at all, either through clubs going bust or players out of contract not being picked up.
These 2 users liked this post: UnderSeige ralphdpomeroy

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Tue May 05, 2020 5:35 pm

corporal jones wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:20 pm
all this mounting panic is because of the financial hit that football is staring at if we don't play again soon-why is it a big hit? because of the ludicrous contracts that the players are on. Why can we and they all see sense and cut all monies to all players affected at all levels by 50% until we can play again. If that takes players at lower levels to below 2500 then that can be furloughed. The rest will survive and not starve. If they refuse then footballers are going to find them selves without a club at all, either through clubs going bust or players out of contract not being picked up.
I can see many clubs having smaller squads and players having difficulty finding a new club over the next few years. There should then be downward pressure on players wages.
This user liked this post: ralphdpomeroy