Current Season Void Or Continue

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
taio
Been Liked: 3244 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Re: Current Season Void Or Continue

Post by taio » Sun May 10, 2020 7:57 am

Spijed wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 7:31 am
If this season couldn't be started because players start catching the virus its going to keep happening until a vaccine is found.

And despite the talk of one being developed later this year many scientists believe that is highly unlikely and we won't have one for sometime.

If that's the case we'll have to take the risk or go without football and sport in general for a few years.

That's the choice.
No sport in general for a few years - that feels like some leap and exaggeration.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sun May 10, 2020 8:18 am

taio wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 7:57 am
No sport in general for a few years - that feels like some leap and exaggeration.
If they can't stop isolating people, like seems to have been the case in the German team I can't see how you can stop any athlete from getting it. The point is, if it's not deemed safe now, how on earth will the situation be any different in two years time if there isn't a vaccine?

taio

Post by taio » Sun May 10, 2020 8:28 am

Spijed wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 8:18 am
If they can't stop isolating people, like seems to have been the case in the German team I can't see how you can stop any athlete from getting it. The point is, if it's not deemed safe now, how on earth will the situation be any different in two years time if there isn't a vaccine?
I think the season should resume being closed doors in the next few weeks. If that's deemed unsafe then then I can't see next season starting because the risk is the same. So I agree with your logic. The point of my last post was, why have you suddenly lept to no sport in general for a few years - what's that based on?

UnderSeige
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 836 times

Post by UnderSeige » Sun May 10, 2020 8:33 am

Spijed wrote:
If this season couldn't be started because players start catching the virus its going to keep happening until a vaccine is found.

And despite the talk of one being developed later this year many scientists believe that is highly unlikely and we won't have one for sometime.

If that's the case we'll have to take the risk or go without football and sport in general for a few years.

That's the choice.
I too have heard that some scientists are saying that there won't be a vaccine or at least not for some time. I think they are a tiny minority though. Do you have links to these? Have their articles been peer reviewed?

Biotech has made great advancements over the last few years. The Oxford/Astrazenica group are 80% certain of a vaccine being in manufacture by the fourth quarter of this year.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-heal ... al-update/
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronaviru ... niversity/

Johnson and Johnson are confident of a vaccine by next spring and plan to manufacture one billion doses on a 'not for profit basis'.
https://www.jnj.com/johnson-johnson-ann ... ndemic-use

Pfizer say that their vaccine could be ready by September this year. Moderna have gone on to second phase testing. Oxford university should be able to evaluate it's vaccine by June. There are over 100 projects around the world developing vaccines.
https://www.nbcnews.com/science/science ... e-n1202886

There are also numerous treatments that are currently being evaluated. Most notably anti-malarial treatments. These are currently being investigated.
https://wellcome.ac.uk/news/can-chloroq ... -us-answer

I am holding out for Turf Moor next spring.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Sun May 10, 2020 8:43 am

taio wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 8:28 am
I think the season should resume being closed doors in the next few weeks. If that's deemed unsafe then then I can't see next season starting because the risk is the same. So I agree with your logic. The point of my last post was, why have you suddenly lept to no sport in general for a few years - what's that based on?
That was purely based on the fact that if sporting authorities deem an event unsafe at the moment will there come a point when it becomes 'safe' without a vaccine?

taio

Post by taio » Sun May 10, 2020 9:01 am

Spijed wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 8:43 am
That was purely based on the fact that if sporting authorities deem an event unsafe at the moment will there come a point when it becomes 'safe' without a vaccine?
There will be sports that can and will operate safely without a vaccine so I don't understand your point about sport in general. And in any case why are you saying a vaccine is a few years off? You said it is a choice between starting now and waiting a few years across all sports. I can't see how you have concluded that there are only those two choices at the opposite ends of the scale with nothing in between.

Jamesy
Been Liked: 806 times
Has Liked: 530 times

Post by Jamesy » Sun May 10, 2020 9:21 am

taio wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 9:01 am
There will be sports that can and will operate safely without a vaccine so I don't understand your point about sport in general. And in any case why are you saying a vaccine is a few years off? You said it is a choice between starting now and waiting a few years across all sports. I can't see how you have concluded that there are only those two choices at the opposite ends of the scale with nothing in between.
All the sports that will be able to operate without a vaccine will be non contact sports like tennis, cycling etc. Although I think two years is a tad pessimistic I don’t think we will be watching live football this side of Christmas. This isn’t based on science, it is based on the cautious nature of the government advisors.

Jamesy

Post by Jamesy » Sun May 10, 2020 9:24 am

Apart from the one professor who was inviting his married lover around for a sh@g. The only future input he will be having will be into his lover.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1923 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Sun May 10, 2020 9:27 am

It not just the sportmen/women who’s involved in sports though. It’s everyone else that makes it happen. Whilst cycling isn’t a contact sport there is quite a lot of contact taken place. Tennis would need to change massively how that is played. It’s far more than 2 people hitting a ball from 8 metres away.

taio

Post by taio » Sun May 10, 2020 9:29 am

Jamesy wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 9:21 am
All the sports that will be able to operate without a vaccine will be non contact sports like tennis, cycling etc. Although I think two years is a tad pessimistic I don’t think we will be watching live football this side of Christmas. This isn’t based on science, it is based on the cautious nature of the government advisors.
Yes they were the types of sports I was thinking and more. He didn't say two years - which I think would be very pessimistic - he said a few years for all sport which seems without any foundation whatsoever.

Jamesy

Post by Jamesy » Sun May 10, 2020 9:35 am

taio wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 9:29 am
Yes they were the types of sports I was thinking and more. He didn't say two years - which I think would be very pessimistic - he said a few years for all sport which seems without any foundation whatsoever.
TBH we can only estimate based on current information in front of us. In a nutshell, unless a successful vaccine is found the players may be playing in a few months time. However only if they and support staff are tested on a probably weekly basis. One thing is for sure though, we won’t be there watching.

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Sun May 10, 2020 10:05 am

Spijed wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 8:43 am
Completely safe -no.

Whether it becomes 'safe enough' depends on the government regulations and whether people abide by them. I have just been listening to LBC. There was a news article saying that without the current lockdown we would now have had over a hundred thousand deaths.

Many countries have had good success in controlling the virus using testing, track and trace and mask wearing. These include South Korea, New Zealand, Singapore, Taiwan, Australia, Hong Kong etc. These countries are now at the point where they can start cautiously releasing their populations and economies.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpsqgkdCIIY

The UK is currently at the point where we are still getting several thousand new cases and several hundred new deaths a day. However, these numbers are beginning to drop. Once they have dropped to a controllable number, the government can begin track and trace measures and perhaps mask wearing. Things should then be a lot safer than they are now.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3114 times
Has Liked: 3833 times

Post by NewClaret » Sun May 10, 2020 11:13 am

Spijed wrote:

That's the choice.
Yeah, I know that and I want the PL to restart ASAP.

My point is that you can’t have a situation where two players test positive and the whole squad gets quarantined for 2 weeks, or the interruptions will be too severe. The competition will lose all its continuity and the fixture congestion will mean it goes on endlessly.

I imagine the only way to do it is having squads training in very small groups of 2-3, and if anyone that tests positive you just isolate that group for a week or something.

As I’ve said before, there needs to be a firm protocol on how many players in a squad can be “out” before a game is called off - and I’d argue that number should be quite high. This is about getting this season finished, then we can refocus on how to operate next season.

Jamesy

Post by Jamesy » Sun May 10, 2020 11:49 am

NewClaret wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 11:13 am

My point is that you can’t have a situation where two players test positive and the whole squad gets quarantined for 2 weeks, or the interruptions will be too severe. The competition will lose all its continuity and the fixture congestion will mean it goes on endlessly.

I imagine the only way to do it is having squads training in very small groups of 2-3, and if anyone that tests positive you just isolate that group for a week or something.

As I’ve said before, there needs to be a firm protocol on how many players in a squad can be “out” before a game is called off - and I’d argue that number should be quite high. This is about getting this season finished, then we can refocus on how to operate next season.
I wish I could share your optimism, however there will be no football anytime soon and next season will probably slip back month by month until it reaches a point where it isn’t feasible. Those five teams at the bottom will stall and stall, citing player safety along with the neutral grounds Issue and not a single football will be kicked The Premier League can make them play at neutral venues but would struggle with addressing the player safety issues because of the legal wrangles. I can’t say I blame them as we would probably be arguing the same reasons if we were in danger of being relegated. Of course player safety is important but as usual with the Premier League it all boils down to money. Look at Villa, they have spent circa 110 million in order to try and stay in the promised land. This 110 million is based on projected incomes from competing in and more importantly surviving in the Premier League. They will do whatever to ensure the season is voided, or if they have to play out their remaining fixtures that there will be no relegation. If we do get to the point where there will be a next season, maybe starting sometime around November or December we may have a farcical situation where teams only play each other once and the home teams are drawn out of a hat. Remember we will be having several International breaks to prepare for Euros. so not as many weekends or midweeks available as we would think.

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Sun May 10, 2020 11:52 am

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 2:24 pm
10 Simple Steps to Solve This

1 End this season now
2 Give all clubs that have played one less game 3 pts
3 Count the current standings as final
4 Top of league positions count for Europe etc (Liverpool Champions)
5 Nobody goes down
6 Leeds and WBA promoted
7 22 teams next year with 5 relegation spots
8 Aim for Aug/Sep return providing Covid cases go down sufficiently, lockdown restrictions eased and where possible social distancing measures in place
9 Play season behind closed doors and agree any rules around neutral venues to cover full season
10 Aim to have football back to how it was for 21/22 season
1. It would introduce some clarity and everyone would know what is going to happen over the next three or four months.

2. Not sure that teams should be allocated points that they haven't earned. There might be a problem with Sheff Utd and Man Utd since Sheff Utd would end in fifth place above Man Utd and would qualify for the Europa league ahead of Man Utd. Most likely won't be a problem if Europa League and Champions League are cancelled.

3. Can you really award Liverpool the title without them having fully earned it. I don't think there would be any challenges to this but to me they wouldn't really be champions. There would likely be songs on the terraces to this effect in the following season.

4. ManU SeffU problem mentioned in 2.

5. Agree. This would have to be the case if the season is ended early otherwise it would end up a legal nightmare.

6. Positions 3-6 might launch a legal challenge about the third place. Leeds and WBA should not be promoted since they have not yet played a full season and earned it.

7. Would be an interesting season with probably more than half the league in danger of relegation.

8 and 9 Might not need to play the full season behind closed doors. There is a fair chance of a vaccine and end to the pandemic by early next year. As soon as the country has 'herd immunity' proper football with fans in attendance should be reinstated. I think that fans who are used to going on the ground will soon get fed up of 'behind closed doors TV stuff'. How can the club sell season tickets for this. People will want to get out once the restrictions are fully lifted unless we are in the midst of snow storms or torrential rain.

10. I think that there is a strong possibility of this whatever happens in between. We don't want 'past business' running into the 21/22 season though.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3163 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Sun May 10, 2020 11:53 am

Another Brighton player has tested positive for the virus

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52605961

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Sun May 10, 2020 12:06 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 11:13 am

This would work if it was just training. However, in a football game all the players will be together on the pitch. If a match is played and one player tests positive the day after the match all players and staff will have to self-isolate for the next 14 days disrupting the fixture program and training schedules of both teams.

If games are played close together and a player tests positive, it would involve four teams self-isolating for 14 days. Footballers cannot be treated differently than the rest of the population when it comes to 'track and trace'. The virus doesn't care who or what a person it infects. It will infect anyone - footballers, MP's, the Health Secretary, the Prime Minister - even the heir to the Throne.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5210 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun May 10, 2020 12:09 pm

UnderSeige wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 11:52 am
1. It would introduce some clarity and everyone would know what is going to happen over the next three or four months.

2. Not sure that teams should be allocated points that they haven't earned. There might be a problem with Sheff Utd and Man Utd since Sheff Utd would end in fifth place above Man Utd and would qualify for the Europa league ahead of Man Utd. Most likely won't be a problem if Europa League and Champions League are cancelled.

3. Can you really award Liverpool the title without them having fully earned it. I don't think there would be any challenges to this but to me they wouldn't really be champions. There would likely be songs on the terraces to this effect in the following season.

4. ManU SeffU problem mentioned in 2.

5. Agree. This would have to be the case if the season is ended early otherwise it would end up a legal nightmare.

6. Positions 3-6 might launch a legal challenge about the third place. Leeds and WBA should not be promoted since they have not yet played a full season and earned it.

7. Would be an interesting season with probably more than half the league in danger of relegation.

8 and 9 Might not need to play the full season behind closed doors. There is a fair chance of a vaccine and end to the pandemic by early next year. As soon as the country has 'herd immunity' proper football with fans in attendance should be reinstated. I think that fans who are used to going on the ground will soon get fed up of 'behind closed doors TV stuff'. How can the club sell season tickets for this. People will want to get out once the restrictions are fully lifted unless we are in the midst of snow storms or torrential rain.

10. I think that there is a strong possibility of this whatever happens in between. We don't want 'past business' running into the 21/22 season though.
On the surface you seem to have a logical thought process however when you cite terrace songs as a consideration when searching for a solution to a pandemic virus then I have no option but to dismiss you as a bit of a crank.

You posting was well written and if you stop listening to the David Icke's of this world there is still hope for you in this kind of arena

6/10

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sun May 10, 2020 12:29 pm

UnderSeige wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 12:06 pm
This would work if it was just training. However, in a football game all the players will be together on the pitch. If a match is played and one player tests positive the day after the match all players and staff will have to self-isolate for the next 14 days disrupting the fixture program and training schedules of both teams.

If games are played close together and a player tests positive, it would involve four teams self-isolating for 14 days. Footballers cannot be treated differently than the rest of the population when it comes to 'track and trace'. The virus doesn't care who or what a person it infects. It will infect anyone - footballers, MP's, the Health Secretary, the Prime Minister - even the heir to the Throne.
Understand that. My point being that with the increased levels of testing for these players, and their reduced risk of being seriously ill, it should be reduced from 14 days to:

a) 7 days for the player, as they shouldn’t be contagious after that.
b) 2-4 days for those they have been in contact with said player (or however long it would take for those players to test positive if they’d contracted it). If they don’t test positive in that period, you could assume they’re safe.

I think what is being proposed here is a “bubble-like” environment (with highly increased testing) for PL players, so I’m assuming you can operate the rules slightly differently than wider society?

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Sun May 10, 2020 1:20 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 12:09 pm
On the surface you seem to have a logical thought process however when you cite terrace songs as a consideration when searching for a solution to a pandemic virus then I have no option but to dismiss you as a bit of a crank.

You posting was well written and if you stop listening to the David Icke's of this world there is still hope for you in this kind of arena

6/10
Having heard some of the songs on the Turf I think that it's well on the cards. In the Bob Lord stand we don't tend to get into singing much.

I wasn't trying to search for a solution to the pandemic on that post. I was just giving a critique to your solution saying where it might work and won't work. I haven't yet seen a half decent solution to the 'football restarting problem'. Perhaps there isn't one. My solution is 'End of Pandemic Restart of Football'.

I didn't know that you could still listen to David Icke. I thought YouTube had blocked him.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun May 10, 2020 1:24 pm

UnderSeige wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 1:20 pm
Having heard some of the songs on the Turf I think that it's well on the cards. In the Bob Lord stand we don't tend to get into singing much.
I am hoping a new rule is brought in to stop players from playing against their ex clubs as the risk of booing from the terraces is frightening
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Sun May 10, 2020 1:35 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 12:29 pm
Understand that. My point being that with the increased levels of testing for these players, and their reduced risk of being seriously ill, it should be reduced from 14 days to:

a) 7 days for the player, as they shouldn’t be contagious after that.
b) 2-4 days for those they have been in contact with said player (or however long it would take for those players to test positive if they’d contracted it). If they don’t test positive in that period, you could assume they’re safe.

I think what is being proposed here is a “bubble-like” environment (with highly increased testing) for PL players, so I’m assuming you can operate the rules slightly differently than wider society?
Yes your right it is a kind of expanding bubble but so is the virus. It is highly contagious. If left half checked it would soon infect many of the team and other staff.

I think that your right about the player who tests positive. It would just be seven days. The rest of the squad, however, will be required to isolate for 14 days. I believe that the idea is that the virus takes around 4-7 days to incubate and then the person is infectious for a further seven days. If any of the rest of the squad had been infected in the last day the virus would likely incubate for seven days and then following that symptoms would emerge and the person would be infectious for a further seven days (14 in all). Hope this makes sense.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2351 times
Has Liked: 3182 times

Post by Paul Waine » Sun May 10, 2020 1:36 pm

UnderSeige wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 8:33 am
I too have heard that some scientists are saying that there won't be a vaccine or at least not for some time. I think they are a tiny minority though. Do you have links to these? Have their articles been peer reviewed?
Hi US, have you got the right idea around "peer reviews?" A peer review is a review by other scientists of what a first group of scientist say they've learnt and claim is proved by their scientific development. There's no need to review a "nothing to see here" type of scientific paper... something along the lines of "we've not got a vaccine...." So, "we've not got..." has got nothing that could be peer reviewed....

Of course, I'm not ruling out papers that explain why vaccine A or vaccine B won't work for covid-19, whereas they do work for flu, for example... Even then, I'm finding it hard to conceive of other scientists finding something to "peer review" about such a paper.

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Sun May 10, 2020 1:45 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 1:24 pm
I am hoping a new rule is brought in to stop players from playing against their ex clubs as the risk of booing from the terraces is frightening
:D

It would be good to hear a revised list of solutions from you in the light of the comments that I and other posters have made. Perhaps we could all achieve a solution by scrutinising and refining your initial list.

I still don't think that there is a good solution though.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun May 10, 2020 1:57 pm

UnderSeige wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 1:45 pm
:D

It would be good to hear a revised list of solutions from you in the light of the comments that I and other posters have made. Perhaps we could all achieve a solution by scrutinising and refining your initial list.

I still don't think that there is a good solution though.
I still think my 10 point plan or the Devil's Manifesto as it is more popularly known is the perfect solution and does not require any revision.

I understand your excitement and anticipation of being able to view more of the detail behind the Devil's Manifesto but for many varying reasons that is just not possible at this stage.

There needs to be an element of trust but I do feel that those with the right critical thinking skills will award me that trust based on the sheer brilliance of the plans key action points and strategy

This thread has been hugely insightful in the development of my ideas even if in the main that is through seeing the bad ideas we shouldnt take

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Sun May 10, 2020 2:56 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 1:36 pm
Hi US, have you got the right idea around "peer reviews?" A peer review is a review by other scientists of what a first group of scientist say they've learnt and claim is proved by their scientific development. There's no need to review a "nothing to see here" type of scientific paper... something along the lines of "we've not got a vaccine...." So, "we've not got..." has got nothing that could be peer reviewed....

Of course, I'm not ruling out papers that explain why vaccine A or vaccine B won't work for covid-19, whereas they do work for flu, for example... Even then, I'm finding it hard to conceive of other scientists finding something to "peer review" about such a paper.
Hi PW
A paper, article (or whatever) that explains 'why a vaccine can't be developed', and some sort of critique of that, might be an interesting read. The only reason that I mentioned a 'peer review' is that a scientific paper with a review would carry some weight. If it is just some maverick scientist spouting on YouTube then it's less believable.

I can't see over 100 different companies and academic groups working on a vaccine if it has little chance of succeeding. Scientists will all have their reputations and research grants in the future to think about. Many of the worlds leading pharmaceutical companies are working on a vaccine. Some of these on a 'not for profit basis'. Failing to produce a vaccine when having spent large amounts of money on it would prove very costly.

I realise that the truth is not derived by a referendum of scientists but in this case I think that a vaccine will be produced. I am optimistic that it will be sooner rather than later.

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Sun May 10, 2020 3:00 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 1:57 pm
I still think my 10 point plan or the Devil's Manifesto as it is more popularly known is the perfect solution and does not require any revision.

I understand your excitement and anticipation of being able to view more of the detail behind the Devil's Manifesto but for many varying reasons that is just not possible at this stage.

There needs to be an element of trust but I do feel that those with the right critical thinking skills will award me that trust based on the sheer brilliance of the plans key action points and strategy

This thread has been hugely insightful in the development of my ideas even if in the main that is through seeing the bad ideas we shouldnt take
That just goes to prove my point. If even the most brilliant of solutions falls short there is no perfect solution to this problem.

corporal jones
Been Liked: 96 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by corporal jones » Sun May 10, 2020 3:08 pm

UnderSeige wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 10:11 pm
That might work. The staff at the hotel would also need to be in isolation with the players and the hotel would need to have facilities for the players to train. The hotel security would also need to keep out any fans that might try to watch the training sessions or get autographs. The hotel would not be able to have other guests coming in and out.
Hotels are closed to other guests anyway. Clubs can afford to pay for the minimal other staff required to be there. They are playing three games a week for just 3 weeks so they don’t need training facilities. Fans gathering? Police issue. Also in short, suck it up FFS. It’s only three weeks and what other choice do you have if you are serious about finishing the season. Compromises need to be made by all.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun May 10, 2020 3:22 pm

UnderSeige wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 3:00 pm
That just goes to prove my point. If even the most brilliant of solutions falls short there is no perfect solution to this problem.
If my solution fell short in any way it would not be brilliant. As it does not fall short then its brilliance cannot be denied.

You seem very good willed and amicable but it is starting to feel like a conversation with a Jehovah's Witness.

I think we will both just have to accept that you dont quite have the prowess and vision to grasp the full beauty of the Devil's Manifesto and leave it there.

I will keep an eye on your future musings and offer my help and expertise where I think applicable

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Sun May 10, 2020 5:17 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 3:22 pm
If my solution fell short in any way it would not be brilliant. As it does not fall short then its brilliance cannot be denied.

You seem very good willed and amicable but it is starting to feel like a conversation with a Jehovah's Witness.

I think we will both just have to accept that you dont quite have the prowess and vision to grasp the full beauty of the Devil's Manifesto and leave it there.

I will keep an eye on your future musings and offer my help and expertise where I think applicable
I like the one about having 'behind the closed doors football' for a full year when the pandemic is likely to be over for a good part of the season.

The one about awarding Sheff Utd three points and allowing them to leapfrog over Man Utd. is a good one too. You will get a lot of agreement for that one. :D

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sun May 10, 2020 6:33 pm

UnderSeige wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 1:35 pm
Yes your right it is a kind of expanding bubble but so is the virus. It is highly contagious. If left half checked it would soon infect many of the team and other staff.

I think that your right about the player who tests positive. It would just be seven days. The rest of the squad, however, will be required to isolate for 14 days. I believe that the idea is that the virus takes around 4-7 days to incubate and then the person is infectious for a further seven days. If any of the rest of the squad had been infected in the last day the virus would likely incubate for seven days and then following that symptoms would emerge and the person would be infectious for a further seven days (14 in all). Hope this makes sense.
Ah okay, fair enough, but surely in that circumstance you could get a test on the 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th day and then be let out if all are negative?

As you say, it’s going to be a loooooooonng time until we watch any sport of any description if we don’t find some solutions to these issues.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6965 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun May 10, 2020 6:54 pm

corporal jones wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 3:08 pm
Hotels are closed to other guests anyway. Clubs can afford to pay for the minimal other staff required to be there. They are playing three games a week for just 3 weeks so they don’t need training facilities. Fans gathering? Police issue. Also in short, suck it up FFS. It’s only three weeks and what other choice do you have if you are serious about finishing the season. Compromises need to be made by all.
It’s not really feasible to play 3 games a week for 3 weeks is it?

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Sun May 10, 2020 7:20 pm

Everything you need to know about tomorrow’s crucial Project Restart meeting
Martyn Ziegler, Chief Sports Reporter thetimes.co.uk

What are the key items on the agenda at tomorrow’s Premier League meeting?

The main issues are Project Restart — the return to matches behind closed doors planned for June 12 — and the likely cost to the clubs of the Covid-19 crisis. The first task will be to agree upon the return-to-training protocol, which would allow squads to return in small groups as soon as next Monday, though this may have to be delayed. Players and staff must have daily temperature checks and twice-weekly tests for the virus. There will also be discussions about money owed to broadcasters if the season is completed behind closed doors or terminated.
Who is on the call?
Representatives of all 20 top-flight clubs, usually the chairman and the chief executive from each club, along with the Premier League board members, including the chief executive Richard Masters and the interim chairman Claudia Arney. Greg Clarke and Mark Bullingham, the FA chairman and chief executive respectively, will also be involved.

What will be voted on? How are the votes carried out and must the result be unanimous?

It looks as though there will not be a vote on Project Restart, but the meeting is going to go through the proposal for training to resume next Monday. This may not need a formal vote as no regulations will need to be changed, though there will have to be a vote at some point to allow matches to take place at neutral grounds. There will also be a vote on extending player contracts due to expire on June 30. Open ballots, rather than secret, are used and motions need a 14-6 majority to carry.
If the safety protocols are agreed, does that definitely mean that the Premier League will resume?
It is certainly an important step in that direction but there will still need to be a final agreement by the clubs over neutral grounds and issues such as insurance. The clubs will need to understand what claims they could be liable for if the matches go ahead while social distancing is still the norm for the rest of the country.
When will a decision be taken on neutral venues?
It had been expected that a vote on neutral venues and restarting the season would be taken today, but that has been put back. The most likely date is May 18 but that could be delayed further. Uefa’s deadline for leagues to confirm plans for either resuming the season or terminating it is on May 25.

What is the position of each club on neutral venues?

The bottom six clubs are broadly opposed to playing in neutral venues, claiming that it puts them at a disadvantage against the top teams. Representatives of the six clubs say they have another two clubs backing their position, which would allow them to block the proposal as 14 of the 20 clubs would have to be in favour for it to be passed. Most, if not all, of the “big six” clubs, and those teams out of relegation danger, such as Crystal Palace, Wolverhampton Wanderers and Sheffield United, have little to fear from playing the matches and are more worried about the potential loss of broadcast income caused by not playing the season out.

How will the positive test at Brighton & Hove Albion affect Project Restart?

Brighton and other clubs will demand that there is a clear plan in place to deal with scenarios in which one or more players test positive for the virus, and what effect that would have on others in the squad and the affected club’s matches.

When will the players get their say?

The Professional Footballers’ Association is in touch with the Premier League and has been sent the full return-to-training and return-to-match protocols to see if the union has any issues. There is also a teleconference, pencilled in for Thursday, of Premier League players and managers, the clubs’ medical staff and medical specialists aimed at addressing any safety concerns. The specialists are also expected to deal with queries that have been raised by the latest positive coronavirus test involving a Brighton player.

Is anything happening about the EFL and the Women’s Super League?

The EFL’s leadership and clubs are waiting to see the outcome of the Premier League meeting and any new advice from the government. It now looks certain that League Two and League One will not resume, barring a short play-off tournament, and there is increasing pressure from Championship clubs to follow that path too, even though the EFL’s official position is for the season to finish behind closed doors. The Women’s Super League is in a similar position and a decision will be taken once return-to-training and return-to-match protocols have been agreed.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sun May 10, 2020 11:07 pm

More players testing positive in Spain. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52607340

dsr
Been Liked: 4578 times
Has Liked: 2270 times

Post by dsr » Sun May 10, 2020 11:10 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 11:07 pm
More players testing positive in Spain. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52607340
This isn't a sudden outbreak of coronavirus spreading through the camps, because they haven't started team training yet. This is just a few fit young men who happen to have the virus but didn't know it. I dare say if a group of people from any profession was tested en bloc, a fair few unsuspected positive tests would result.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Sun May 10, 2020 11:16 pm

Is anyone any wiser as to when/if we are likely to resume this season?

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2567 times
Has Liked: 769 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sun May 10, 2020 11:20 pm

Spijed wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 11:16 pm
A consultation group are meeting again tomorrow, according to the BBC. Although the vote for using neutral venues will not yet take place, apparently a sign that there are still significant objections to the idea from some clubs.

Deadline for making a decision is 25th May.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52609797

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Sun May 10, 2020 11:40 pm

it just isn't going to happen.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Mon May 11, 2020 12:09 am

I have been in conversation with Project Restart and I have shared with them the fully detailed version of the Devil's Manifesto at their request

I believe tomorrows meeting is going to be specifically focused to the possibilities of completing the current season so I don't expect my plans will be discussed at this stage

I will share what information I can on here although im sure you all appreciate my involvement will likely come with strict non disclosure rules
This user liked this post: Rileybobs

MalaysiaMo
Been Liked: 30 times
Has Liked: 4 times

Post by MalaysiaMo » Mon May 11, 2020 12:50 am

Don't you think it odd though that, in a multi-billion quid industry, no one in a position of responsibility appears to have had the gumption to say "hey, hang on, what if for whatever reason - terrorism, war, pandemic - we cannot finish a season. We need an agreement - in advance - as to what to do about league standings, relegation, promotion etc, otherwise people will think all we cared about is filling our boots with cash...."?

I mean, it is not as if there have not been instances over the last twenty years where the "normal" run of the mill was threatened ....

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3163 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Mon May 11, 2020 1:54 pm

It appears that a rejuvenated opposition is not going to let the Government wipe it's hands of Project Restart

https://twitter.com/Alison_McGovern/sta ... 1503197186

is this:
- political points scoring with football as a punchbag again
- a perfectly valid set of questions and expectation that the government should exercise full control, including that one business in the sector (the Premier League) should financially support another in the same sector (the EPL) to it's own cost. Given that in no other commercial sector is this being suggested (let alone instructed) to do the same.

or is it even reasonable for the government to intervene when it wants people to go back to work and it has been said that if wider society were guided by the protocols he had seen the Premier League were to apply, no one else would get back to ever.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Mon May 11, 2020 2:11 pm

"Project Restart given a boost as government announces that sporting events can return behind closed doors from June - but fans are unlikely to be allowed in until “significantly later”

https://mobile.twitter.com/TeleFootball ... 2462806016

diamondpocket
Been Liked: 254 times
Has Liked: 215 times

Post by diamondpocket » Mon May 11, 2020 2:12 pm

Spijed wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 11:16 pm
NO. And I don't think we should be expecting/pushing for it yet. Can we please just accept that this is a waiting game and we need to see how the infection rate/death numbers drop down. There should be no rush to get things back. This virus is ridiculously dangerous. Go & see the article on BBC about China's new out of the blue infections recently. This thing ain't going away from the countries that have been hit hard.

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Mon May 11, 2020 3:18 pm

Spijed wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 2:11 pm
"Project Restart given a boost as government announces that sporting events can return behind closed doors from June - but fans are unlikely to be allowed in until “significantly later”

https://mobile.twitter.com/TeleFootball ... 2462806016
Here we go again.. Spijed with only half a tale..

The truth is its only a recommendation on the understanding certain conditions are met.. It's not a done deal.

"The government's current aim is to introduce step two on 1 June but only if sufficient progress is made in "successfully controlling the spread of the virus" and the lifting of restrictions could be delayed."

Don't get your hopes up Spijed yet.. Peoples lives come before a game of football.

Dy1geo
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 62 times

Post by Dy1geo » Mon May 11, 2020 6:29 pm

Does the Government decision to allow sport behind closed doors after 1st June apply to all UK or could the Welsh Government stop this for Welsh clubs?

THEWELLERNUT70
Been Liked: 1036 times
Has Liked: 2039 times

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Mon May 11, 2020 6:37 pm

Breaking

The possibility of a null and void season is now off the table. The season will be concluded with whatever means required. There will be relegation too

So suck it up Wet Spam, Brighton and Villa
These 2 users liked this post: tim_noone rob63

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Mon May 11, 2020 6:51 pm

Agree Wellernut. To much money at stake to cancel the season, the show must go on

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11053 times
Has Liked: 5662 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon May 11, 2020 8:31 pm

someohow, just anyhow, please let us relegate Brighton on the last day
This user liked this post: tim_noone

UnderSeige

Post by UnderSeige » Mon May 11, 2020 8:54 pm

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Mon May 11, 2020 8:56 pm

UnderSeige wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 8:54 pm
Every Premier League club against neutral venues plan, says Richard Masters Premier League CEO.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/ ... s-18235355

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... n-stadiums

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sport ... plans.html
To be fair, I do think it’s overkill and unnecessary. Perhaps a concession being that home/away games are used initially with a provisionally agreed position that venues unilaterally switch to neutral if fans congregate?