Current Season Void Or Continue

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3163 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Re: Current Season Void Or Continue

Post by Chester Perry » Thu May 14, 2020 6:04 pm

The government opens the door to football's restart - no real surprise there

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52665805

not sure how he expects monies to trickle through the pyramid though - he certainly doesn't seem to want to shape how that happens or impose a football regulator, in the manner Rick Parry appeared to be begging for last week.
This user liked this post: Paul Waine

dsr
Been Liked: 4578 times
Has Liked: 2270 times

Post by dsr » Thu May 14, 2020 6:24 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 4:40 pm
There are also stories suggesting a number of Man City players in particular are not comfortable, though they are not given the same prominence they once were (think Aquero "I am scared" from a couple of weeks back) the same type of self-interest argument could be laid at City's door re a Liverpool title to blemish that Pep record or even UEFA club competition next season starting before CAS rules on their appeal.
They want to have a word with Kyle Walker. Whatever else he might be, he isn't scared of coronavirus!

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2351 times
Has Liked: 3181 times

Post by Paul Waine » Thu May 14, 2020 6:25 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 6:04 pm
The government opens the door to football's restart - no real surprise there

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52665805

not sure how he expects monies to trickle through the pyramid though - he certainly doesn't seem to want to shape how that happens or impose a football regulator, in the manner Rick Parry appeared to be begging for last week.
I doubt the British public would want governments to start providing a regulator for football: "kickoff" - in full "The Office of Kicking Footballs" doesn't have a great ring to it. They'd have to do it for all sports, but there are very few that make enough money for the sports people - men's football, men's and women's tennis (when equal prize money prevails), F1, men's cricket, cycling, (some) athletics - and even fewer that has a pyramid that the top competitors could be required to support the "grass roots."

There's a good article in today Times, George Baldock saying Sheff Utd are "ready to go" - with a picture of Baldock tackling Dwight McNeil.

Not completing this season, not relegating the bottom 3 will start to be the end of the Premier League's dominance in the "football money league." I'm thinking of learning some German and watching live football again this weekend.

UTC

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Thu May 14, 2020 10:19 pm

Trouble looming in the lower leagues?

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52670556

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Thu May 14, 2020 10:46 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 6:25 pm
I doubt the British public would want governments to start providing a regulator for football: "kickoff" - in full "The Office of Kicking Footballs" doesn't have a great ring to it. They'd have to do it for all sports, but there are very few that make enough money for the sports people - men's football, men's and women's tennis (when equal prize money prevails), F1, men's cricket, cycling, (some) athletics - and even fewer that has a pyramid that the top competitors could be required to support the "grass roots."

There's a good article in today Times, George Baldock saying Sheff Utd are "ready to go" - with a picture of Baldock tackling Dwight McNeil.

Not completing this season, not relegating the bottom 3 will start to be the end of the Premier League's dominance in the "football money league." I'm thinking of learning some German and watching live football again this weekend.

UTC
Not surprised Sheffield Utd are ready to go - their owner will be desperate to get some revenue in - he has to buy the ground and training ground along with some other properties this summer following his ownership court battle win - that means he has to spend around of a quarter of his wealth on the club while the club it is struggling with cash flow, at least they are likely to be in the Premier League next year.

rob63
Been Liked: 186 times
Has Liked: 589 times

Post by rob63 » Fri May 15, 2020 1:08 am

Chester Perry wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 4:40 pm
Is it the way the media are shaping the argument (they have an interest in the restart) or is it really just the relegation threatened teams that are looking to delay it for as long as possible or prevent it entirely. In the last few days I have read about players/managers from Watford, West Ham, Brighton are against the current restart schedule.

There are also stories suggesting a number of Man City players in particular are not comfortable, though they are not given the same prominence they once were (think Aquero "I am scared" from a couple of weeks back) the same type of self-interest argument could be laid at City's door re a Liverpool title to blemish that Pep record or even UEFA club competition next season starting before CAS rules on their appeal.
I agree Chester, too much self-interest from clubs to go with petty point-scoring & trying to prevent the opposition a deserved success.

Also, if a club has a relatively high proportion of Covid-positive players will their matches be postponed & if it's on a match day will their ground also be barred from use,as contaminated, for a period of time?

This could lead to the likes of Brighton playing a match every other day to make up time before the planned season end, or to the amusement of supporters of other clubs elsewhere, being made to play at a neutral venue.......an outcome to suit quite a few posters on here ;)

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Fri May 15, 2020 5:28 pm

I see Troy Deeney has come out saying he'd rather be broke than play in the current. Easy to make such statements when he knows full well he'll be paid in full and is able to sit at home, enjoying his enormous salary.

Why does he not put his money where his mouth is and agree to a pay-cut?

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Fri May 15, 2020 5:31 pm

Spijed wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 5:28 pm
I see Troy Deeney has come out saying he'd rather be broke than play in the current. Easy to make such statements when he knows full well he'll be paid in full and is able to sit at home, enjoying his enormous salary.

Going off that,you could say the same about teachers who are being told to return to work on the first of June.. Should they go back in the current climate,or stay at home getting paid?

TVC15
Been Liked: 3322 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Fri May 15, 2020 5:41 pm

Communication gone out today from a supplier of additional display screens at Premier League grounds to potentially start from “early June” if the restart gets the go ahead. This includes doing this work at Turf Moor.
The company requesting this have asked for the quotes to be returned by Monday 18th May and apologised for the short timescales.

I’m guessing they are still looking at various scenarios but one of these does appear to be using all the grounds rather than neutral ones as I would not imagine Burnley would be chosen as a venue if they were only looking at an option of using neutral grounds.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Fri May 15, 2020 5:44 pm

conyoviejo wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 5:31 pm
Going off that,you could say the same about teachers who are being told to return to work on the first of June.. Should they go back in the current climate,or stay at home getting paid?
The same option isn't available to them. If many have to return but fail to do so, they could potentially face disciplinary action.

Troy Deeney is very safe in the knowledge he can stay at home unlike many other workers and all the while will be picking up his salary, in full.

Call me cynical, but the majority of vociferous players are those who play for teams at the bottom of the league. They perhaps see a drop in salary should they be relegated, rather than any issue with safety.

Funny how teams like Burnley & Sheff United don't have a single player who is overly worried about safety.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Fri May 15, 2020 5:48 pm

TVC15 wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 5:41 pm
Communication gone out today from a supplier of additional display screens at Premier League grounds to potentially start from “early June” if the restart gets the go ahead. This includes doing this work at Turf Moor.
The company requesting this have asked for the quotes to be returned by Monday 18th May and apologised for the short timescales.

I’m guessing they are still looking at various scenarios but one of these does appear to be using all the grounds rather than neutral ones as I would not imagine Burnley would be chosen as a venue if they were only looking at an option of using neutral grounds.
Just curious as to what would the display screens be used for in empty grounds?

I could imagine extra photo gantry's for more camera angles.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Fri May 15, 2020 5:53 pm

Spijed wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 5:48 pm
Just curious as to what would the display screens be used for in empty grounds?

I could imagine extra photo gantry's for more camera angles.
I thought the same thing when I read the email requesting a quote for the work. Possibly advertising.
I can’t post the email for obvious reasons - but the fact it went out at today asking for quotes back by Monday seem to suggest things are moving quickly.
(I do know it’s 100% genuine though)

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Fri May 15, 2020 5:58 pm

TVC15 wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 5:53 pm
I thought the same thing when I read the email requesting a quote for the work. Possibly advertising.
I can’t post the email for obvious reasons - but the fact it went out at today asking for quotes back by Monday seem to suggest things are moving quickly.
(I do know it’s 100% genuine though)
They must be very confident that the season is almost certain to restart.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5210 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Fri May 15, 2020 6:09 pm

Spijed wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 5:28 pm

Thats quite a misrepresentation of his statement. His focus was his and his familys well being and that he would not be prepared to put that at risk for the sake of playing football

The money comment was more a side comment around whats the worst they can do to me - stop paying me - and the point he's been broke before and money isnt everything to him (easier to say when rich but still a good attitude to have)

You and many others might disagree with him and be desperate for football to restart but his opinion is very valid, relevant (a lot more than yours as a fan) and very heartfelt and this trend of starting to demonise any club or player who is concerned about the restart of the league is pathetic

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Fri May 15, 2020 6:11 pm

Spijed wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 5:58 pm
They must be very confident that the season is almost certain to restart.
Possibly - or some last minute realisation that they need certain things in place to start.
Maybe they are learning from Germany about potential new commercial opportunities from empty stadiums.

None of it is agreed yet though but if they get the green light the work they have asked to quote costs for could be done in a 2 or 3 days maximum.

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2758 times
Has Liked: 4325 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Fri May 15, 2020 6:16 pm

If clubs going forward are unable to go about their business, i.e. playing footbalĺ, and start to suffer financial difficulties due to broadcasting monies being witheld, the players ought to be furloughed, like millions of other employees in this country. That would ensure their concerns about the safety of playing are met, whilst hopefully ensuring they still have a job in the longer term.

Winstonswhite
Been Liked: 610 times
Has Liked: 311 times

Post by Winstonswhite » Fri May 15, 2020 6:17 pm

When it restarts we’re going to have very large tv audiences with additional room for advertising as no supporters sight lines to block. Seems common sense to get quotes ASAP to me.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Fri May 15, 2020 7:15 pm

TVC15 wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 5:41 pm

When you say display screens - do you mean:
- like the electric ones we use for pitch side advertising -
- Monitors that you see in stores (can see them used in place of stewards)
- Printed screens that can have images, advertising or instructions on them

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Fri May 15, 2020 7:22 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 7:15 pm
When you say display screens - do you mean:
- like the electric ones we use for pitch side advertising -
- Monitors that you see in stores (can see them used in place of stewards)
- Printed screens that can have images, advertising or instructions on them
Can’t say too much sorry but they require scaffolding
and screens will be positioned along one touchline and behind both goal lines sat on the first few rows where spectator seats are normally positioned.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Fri May 15, 2020 8:14 pm

TVC15 wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 7:22 pm
Can’t say too much sorry but they require scaffolding
and screens will be positioned along one touchline and behind both goal lines sat on the first few rows where spectator seats are normally positioned.
Cheers TVC
that narrows it down to advertising and/or images of the crowd for backdrop both of which make sense

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3164 times
Has Liked: 6759 times

Post by boatshed bill » Fri May 15, 2020 8:26 pm

Continue, if only because we have recorded a victory at Old Trafford.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Fri May 15, 2020 10:20 pm

Joey Barton sticking the boot into Glenn Murray and Troy Deeney

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... sts-wants/

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Fri May 15, 2020 11:28 pm

Spijed wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 10:20 pm
Joey Barton sticking the boot into Glenn Murray and Troy Deeney

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... sts-wants/
And.....hes a talksport rentagob witha disgraceful history including an assault charge hanging over him.

Please explain, disregarding your own bias views, why you seem to have a problem with Deeneys concern around starting the league again, whilst at the same time social distancing exists in pretty much every aspect of life except those most critical?
This user liked this post: conyoviejo

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Sat May 16, 2020 9:11 am

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 11:28 pm
And.....hes a talksport rentagob witha disgraceful history including an assault charge hanging over him.

Please explain, disregarding your own bias views, why you seem to have a problem with Deeneys concern around starting the league again, whilst at the same time social distancing exists in pretty much every aspect of life except those most critical?
Social distancing won't happen on the pitch in Germany either. And yet you haven't hear a single player over there complaining about players getting close to each other at corners, for example. As Marco Reus says below, players are trying to save football in Germany from financial disaster. Not the same selfish attitude of some players over here. And one quote sticks out "Right now we should not make the mistake of complaining about anything".

From El-Pas newspaper

"Borussia Dortmund forward Marco Reus has said the return of the Bundesliga this weekend after a two-month pause due to the COVID-19 pandemic does not signal the return of normality. German's top-flight will become the first of Europe's top five leagues to restart its season when matches take place from Saturday without spectators. Dortmund will face local rivals Schalke 04.

But while Reus said he was looking forward to playing again, he stressed that the matches were taking place in empty stadiums under strict health and safety conditions in order to save the football industry from financial disaster.

"I don't think we can speak about normality and I don't think we should either," Reus said in an interview with Spanish newspaper El Pais on Friday.

"We are hoping to save an industry that employs 55,000 people, but the supporters at home will know we still haven't defeated the coronavirus and that we are far from normality.

"We cannot be complacent now. We all need to listen to the recommendations of the doctors and the politicians. We cannot be more clear about that. But if football can bring a bit of variety to people's living rooms, then I'll be happy."

Reus is unable to face Schalke due to an injury but has been staying with his team mates in a hotel as teams have been sent into mandatory seven-day isolation in order to reduce the risk of infection.

But the Germany international said that was a small sacrifice to make in order to safeguard the league's future.

"Right now we should not make the mistake of complaining about anything. The league and the clubs are trying to save the system. By working closely with the politicians, they have found a way for football to work again," he said.

"The basic condition is that teams are isolated for a week. That's how we can continue to do our jobs. It would be wrong to say anything negative about this."
This user liked this post: dsr

conyoviejo

Post by conyoviejo » Sat May 16, 2020 9:32 am

Spijed wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 9:11 am
Social distancing won't happen on the pitch in Germany either. And yet you haven't hear a single player over there complaining about players getting close to each other at corners, for example. As Marco Reus says below, players are trying to save football in Germany from financial disaster. Not the same selfish attitude of some players over here. And one quote sticks out "Right now we should not make the mistake of complaining about anything".

From El-Pas newspaper

"Borussia Dortmund forward Marco Reus has said the return of the Bundesliga this weekend after a two-month pause due to the COVID-19 pandemic does not signal the return of normality. German's top-flight will become the first of Europe's top five leagues to restart its season when matches take place from Saturday without spectators. Dortmund will face local rivals Schalke 04.

But while Reus said he was looking forward to playing again, he stressed that the matches were taking place in empty stadiums under strict health and safety conditions in order to save the football industry from financial disaster.

"I don't think we can speak about normality and I don't think we should either," Reus said in an interview with Spanish newspaper El Pais on Friday.

"We are hoping to save an industry that employs 55,000 people, but the supporters at home will know we still haven't defeated the coronavirus and that we are far from normality.

"We cannot be complacent now. We all need to listen to the recommendations of the doctors and the politicians. We cannot be more clear about that. But if football can bring a bit of variety to people's living rooms, then I'll be happy."

Reus is unable to face Schalke due to an injury but has been staying with his team mates in a hotel as teams have been sent into mandatory seven-day isolation in order to reduce the risk of infection.

But the Germany international said that was a small sacrifice to make in order to safeguard the league's future.

"Right now we should not make the mistake of complaining about anything. The league and the clubs are trying to save the system. By working closely with the politicians, they have found a way for football to work again," he said.

"The basic condition is that teams are isolated for a week. That's how we can continue to do our jobs. It would be wrong to say anything negative about this."
You still haven't Answered the question Devils Advocate asked you. What is your problem with Deeneys statement. ?

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat May 16, 2020 9:39 am

Spijed wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 9:11 am
Thats not true because there has been some vocal German players who have expressed concerns about health with Cologne's Birger Verstraete the one most widely reported.

But again why do you seem to have such a negative view of Deeney. Do you not think its reasonable that some footballers will feel this way and that their concerns should be heard, discussed and considered?

For all we know there are more players who feel like this but are scared to put their head above the parapet and having brave players like Deeney who are not scared to speak out might give others the confidence to speak out too

Discussion and concensus is key to all this and Im sure that is what is happening behind the scenes but we are in the most serious health crisis of our lifetime so try and have a bit of empathy for other peoples opinion even if it challenges the idea of you getting your favourite hobby back up and running

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Sat May 16, 2020 9:53 am

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 9:39 am
Thats not true because there has been some vocal German players who have expressed concerns about health with Cologne's Birger Verstraete the one most widely reported.

But again why do you seem to have such a negative view of Deeney. Do you not think its reasonable that some footballers will feel this way and that their concerns should be heard, discussed and considered?

For all we know there are more players who feel like this but are scared to put their head above the parapet and having brave players like Deeney who are not scared to speak out might give others the confidence to speak out too

Discussion and concensus is key to all this and Im sure that is what is happening behind the scenes but we are in the most serious health crisis of our lifetime so try and have a bit of empathy for other peoples opinion even if it challenges the idea of you getting your favourite hobby back up and running
I don't have a problem with what Troy Deeney is saying if he feels unsafe. What I do think is totally wrong is the fact that he, and others who are vocal will be picking up their wages in full - circa £50k or more per week. People in other industries can't say I'm not coming to work and expect to be paid in full. If any footballer doesn't want to play, which is their right, should go on the furlough scheme if it is possible to do so.

However, they won't because they want the money.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat May 16, 2020 10:00 am

Spijed wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 9:53 am
I don't have a problem with what Troy Deeney is saying if he feels unsafe. What I do think is totally wrong is the fact that he, and others who are vocal will be picking up their wages in full - circa £50k or more per week. People in other industries can't say I'm not coming to work and expect to be paid in full. If any footballer doesn't want to play, which is their right, should go on the furlough scheme if it is possible to do so.

However, they won't because they want the money.
Thats not Deeneys fault so your angst should be at the way football is run and structured and not at a player who suddenly finds himself in this position and is concerned

Just for balance where I work the employees who could not work from home were able to not come in because they didn't feel safe and have continued to pick up 100% of their wages.

Jamesy
Been Liked: 806 times
Has Liked: 530 times

Post by Jamesy » Sat May 16, 2020 10:29 am

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 10:00 am
Thats not Deeneys fault so your angst should be at the way football is run and structured and not at a player who suddenly finds himself in this position and is concerned

Just for balance where I work the employees who could not work from home were able to not come in because they didn't feel safe and have continued to pick up 100% of their wages.
I get how you are trying to balance the argument, however your work colleagues who are not working and receiving full salary are not on an average salary of £60k per week and are multi millionaires.
Quite simply if Premier League clubs have to continue paying these massive wages for next few months with no discernible means of income they will be in trouble.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat May 16, 2020 10:41 am

Jamesy wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 10:29 am
I get how you are trying to balance the argument, however your work colleagues who are not working and receiving full salary are not on an average salary of £60k per week and are multi millionaires.
Quite simply if Premier League clubs have to continue paying these massive wages for next few months with no discernible means of income they will be in trouble.
So earning £60k per week invalidates someones ability to feel concerned about their own and their family's health?

Just to be clear I haven't agreed with Deeney's view or suggested the season shouldn't restart but surely we should be listening to players concerns and we should definitely not be attacking players for opinions just because it challenges the safety to restart football.

Not sure whats controversial or wrong about the above approach and attitude towards this issue?

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2108 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sat May 16, 2020 11:41 am

Players will soon change their tune if they have to be furloughed and their pay drops to 2,500 a month. The cynic in me suggests the clubs at the bottom have instructed their players to do all they can to get the season voided.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat May 16, 2020 11:55 am

Would the cynic in you suggest that a club like Burnley who are financially desperate for the season to restart will have instructed their players to fully support it no matter what concerns they have in order to help ensure it continues?

The principle of the two scenarios is the same

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2108 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sat May 16, 2020 12:01 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 11:55 am
Would the cynic in you suggest that a club like Burnley who are financially desperate for the season to restart will have instructed their players to fully support it no matter what concerns they have in order to help ensure it continues?

The principle of the two scenarios is the same
Maybe not instructed, but I'm sure the players have had it made clear how much the club wants the season to restart. I'm also not naive enough to think if we were bottom of the league we wouldn't be trying to have the season voided and relegation taken off the table.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3114 times
Has Liked: 3833 times

Post by NewClaret » Sat May 16, 2020 12:06 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 10:41 am
So earning £60k per week invalidates someones ability to feel concerned about their own and their family's health?

Just to be clear I haven't agreed with Deeney's view or suggested the season shouldn't restart but surely we should be listening to players concerns and we should definitely not be attacking players for opinions just because it challenges the safety to restart football.

Not sure whats controversial or wrong about the above approach and attitude towards this issue?
To be honest, what narks me is that the doctors, nurses, supermarket workers, delivery drivers, care workers and many, many more have cracked on through this. Been absolute hero’s. There’s millions of them going to work every day, many right at the bottom of the pay scales, most of whom have managed to work safely. Many are at much higher risk than professional footballers.

Then Deeney moans about returning to training and playing some football matches, when they’re young & fit, going to be wrapped in cotton wool, tested regularly, etc.

Any it does seem as though there’s a correlation between the players speaking out and those clubs at threat of relegation. If Deeney doesn’t want to play, fine, that’s his choice. But I don’t think he should be paid.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat May 16, 2020 12:08 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 12:01 pm
Maybe not instructed, but I'm sure the players have had it made clear how much the club wants the season to restart. I'm also not naive enough to think if we were bottom of the league we wouldn't be trying to have the season voided and relegation taken off the table.
Thats a fair perspective and can agree with that view. My guess would be that there are a few players at all clubs who will have concerns but it is easier just to stay quiet.

Building on your point if you are at a club who openly want to avoid relegation you will be much safer and confident to voice your concerns than if you were at a club who want the season to continue

I think thats why the outspoken people we see are more linked to the bottom clubs and not because they are being instructed or coerced

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3164 times
Has Liked: 6759 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sat May 16, 2020 12:09 pm

What do the referees think about it?

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat May 16, 2020 12:12 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 12:06 pm
To be honest, what narks me is that the doctors, nurses, supermarket workers, delivery drivers, care workers and many, many more have cracked on through this. Been absolute hero’s. There’s millions of them going to work every day, many right at the bottom of the pay scales, most of whom have managed to work safely. Many are at much higher risk than professional footballers.

Then Deeney moans about returning to training and playing some football matches, when they’re young & fit, going to be wrapped in cotton wool, tested regularly, etc.

Any it does seem as though there’s a correlation between the players speaking out and those clubs at threat of relegation. If Deeney doesn’t want to play, fine, that’s his choice. But I don’t think he should be paid.
I can empathise with most of your post but the problem is that people dont think its fine and are attacking him. A solution could be agreed about players opting out and forfeiting pay but my point is that his opinion is valid and should be listened to rather than just criticised (in part because he is wealthy)

groove
Been Liked: 322 times
Has Liked: 545 times

Post by groove » Sun May 17, 2020 9:07 am

Today would have been our final game of the season. We are now more or less in close season. Anything that takes place now is just going through the motions. I think it'll be more likely we'll void the season as the summer goes on.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Sun May 17, 2020 11:43 am

Steve Bruce urges Premier League rethink over restart date from coronavirus shutdown

The Premier League should consider delaying its planned restart so players have more time to get match fit, says Newcastle United manager Steve Bruce.

Clubs will meet on Monday to discuss rules around training during the coronavirus pandemic.

The league is aiming to resume on 12 June but Bruce wants to restart later.

"We need enough preparation time to get these players into shape or they are just going to fall down like a pack of cards," he told the Sunday Telegraph.

"Most of the managers have the same concerns. We would need at least six weeks. I don't see how we can play games until the back end of June.

"You have to remember that they have had eight weeks off and that is probably the longest break some of these players have had in their careers."

Monday's Premier League meeting will see clubs vote on whether to allow players to return to training in small groups with social distancing measures in place.

It follows a weekend where the German Bundesliga became the first major European league to resume fixtures behind closed doors.

On Thursday, the UK government said it was "opening the door" for the return of professional football in England in June.

But players including Danny Rose - who is on loan with Newcastle from Tottenham - have aired concerns over rushing football's return during a pandemic in which more than 34,000 people have died in the UK.

Rose warned people's "lives were at risk", while former Manchester United player Darren Fletcher has said he would have been hesitant to return to action as a result of an underlying health condition.

"Danny Rose expressed his concerns, but I've spoken to him and he is coming back as well," said Bruce.

"Everybody has their own set of circumstances and you have to take that into account. But, certainly, the measures being put in place, you're probably more at risk going to the supermarket or putting petrol in your car. We are in a fortunate position, we can get tested every three days.

"If a player refuses to come in or play, I have sympathy for that and would understand it. Most of my players are happy with it. You have to respect everybody's personal views on it."

Make your minds up it's only a few months ago clubs were complaining about players not getting a break,now they get an extended break and they're still moaning.

If players reported back last week,then they'll get 4-5 weeks pre-season in before competitive action,that's about an average pre-season schedule,what's the problem?

Obviously anybody that has underlying health conditions is an exception,but that'll be a handful of cases.

If Bruce isn't happy he'll have to learn to play his cards right won't he.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Sun May 17, 2020 9:39 pm

David Ornstein
@David_Ornstein
SUN/MON: #COVID testing at all 20 PL clubs (Wolves pilot https://theathletic.com/1808175/2020/05 ... ugh-swabs/), results in 24h
MON: PL vote on phase 1
TUE: PL training starts
Positive tests expected, will treat like Germany

https://twitter.com/David_Ornstein/stat ... 3357551616

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Sat May 23, 2020 2:53 pm

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Sat May 23, 2020 4:39 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:53 pm
La Liga back from 8 June https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52783201 :)
Meanwhile over here, you have Nigel "We need at least another six weeks to get fit" Pearson trying to get our re-start pushed back further.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sat May 23, 2020 4:41 pm

Spijed wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 4:39 pm
Meanwhile over here, you have Nigel "We need at least another six weeks to get fit" Pearson trying to get our re-start pushed back further.
Seems to be mainly the relegation threaten teams. What a coincidence.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Sat May 23, 2020 4:53 pm

FactualFrank wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 4:41 pm
Seems to be mainly the relegation threaten teams. What a coincidence.
Now come FF surely you're not suggesting they'd deliberately want the season cancelled.

Anyway it looks like the Champs going to complete their season,so that puts pressure on the PL to finish.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... -22061129

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6490 times
Has Liked: 2919 times

Post by Steve1956 » Sat May 23, 2020 4:56 pm

Spijed wrote:
It's the same for everyone..get on with it Pearson, these guys would sell their souls to get out of a relegation dogfight

conyoviejo

Post by conyoviejo » Sat May 23, 2020 5:03 pm

I wonder what we would be saying if we we in a relegation fight and looking like going down. Hmmm.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6490 times
Has Liked: 2919 times

Post by Steve1956 » Sat May 23, 2020 5:14 pm

conyoviejo wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 5:03 pm
I wonder what we would be saying if we we in a relegation fight and looking like going down. Hmmm.
"We need another 6 weeks to get fit" :lol:

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Sat May 23, 2020 5:26 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 4:53 pm
Now come FF surely you're not suggesting they'd deliberately want the season cancelled.

Anyway it looks like the Champs going to complete their season,so that puts pressure on the PL to finish.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... -22061129
And hopefully when Serie A returns there will be no excuses...

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Sat May 23, 2020 7:20 pm

Spijed wrote:
Also his captain who is using the excuse that he has to wash his own kit with his 5 year olds washing.

If it is a problem by another washing machine, you are on 50k a week plus you nob

barba
Been Liked: 100 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by barba » Tue May 26, 2020 8:05 pm

Read that Sky have emailed people saying they are going to start charging for sports on the 19th June.

Perhaps an indication of when the Prem will recommence?