ARTICLE: Title hopes take a knock at Leicester on Easter Monday

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32546 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

ARTICLE: Title hopes take a knock at Leicester on Easter Monday

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:58 am

Last of our three Easter games in 1960

See link
https://www.uptheclarets.com/title-hope ... ter-monday

claretblue
Been Liked: 1835 times
Has Liked: 962 times

Re: ARTICLE: Title hopes take a knock at Leicester on Easter Monday

Post by claretblue » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:41 am

I’m surprised Mr Lord didn’t decide that if cubs were able to sweep the stands for a shilling then Burnley staff could do it for the same fee!

A win at Leicester would have proved a terrific Easter programme and taken a lot of the tension out of the remaining fixtures!

These articles are a brilliant summary of a fantastic season!

UTC

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:45 am

Just when you thought we were title favourites, Burnley went and did a Burnley and lost to change things again.

One very interesting observation. When this series does reach its climax two weeks today, the current team should have been playing Wolves.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1698 times
Has Liked: 2535 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:47 am

I can imagine my dad saying something along the lines of ' typical Burnley'. I suppose that's where I get it from today. 'Who wants it'? might have been as relevant as the top 3 all seemed to be lacking consistency at a vital time.
As for 'bob-a-job' and sweeping those terraces I imagine it was a tough job for those lads. Anyone posting on here that was one of them?

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 540 times
Has Liked: 187 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:04 pm

A bit of setback but nowhere near as damaging as home defeats vs United and Rovers in 1962.

As we seem to have a number of posters who can recollect this era I wonder if they would care to speculate as to whether the FA Cup defeat to the Rovers in 1960 was a bit of a blessing in disguise? Bear in mind that In 1962 Burnley had to play an FA Cup replay on Monday two days prior to a midweek league fixture which was the start of the famous collapse ceding the title to those strawsuckers just down the road.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:08 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:47 am
I can imagine my dad saying something along the lines of ' typical Burnley'. I suppose that's where I get it from today. 'Who wants it'? might have been as relevant as the top 3 all seemed to be lacking consistency at a vital time.
As for 'bob-a-job' and sweeping those terraces I imagine it was a tough job for those lads. Anyone posting on here that was one of them?
I was never a scout so never a bob-a-jobber although a bob for doing that was probably good money back then for youngsters.

Yes, typical Burnley, but Spurs were the ones who were suffering the most. They'd won just one out of seven at this point and that cost them the title.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:12 pm

ClaretLoup wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:04 pm
A bit of setback but nowhere near as damaging as home defeats vs United and Rovers in 1962.

As we seem to have a number of posters who can recollect this era I wonder if they would care to speculate as to whether the FA Cup defeat to the Rovers in 1960 was a bit of a blessing in disguise? Bear in mind that In 1962 Burnley had to play an FA Cup replay on Monday two days prior to a midweek league fixture which was the start of the famous collapse ceding the title to those strawsuckers just down the road.
I'm too young to be honest to offer a good view. I did see the 1961/62 season and it is often said that one of the major problems at the end of that season was an injury and lack of form from Jimmy Mac. He played in only five of the last ten games. Up to that point we were walking away with it but we won 1, drew 5 and lost 4 of those last 10.

On the subject of that season, I had been hoping to continue this feature over another two seasons 60/61 and 61/62 but I haven't got the material as yet so might be difficult in the current situation.

Silkyskills1

Post by Silkyskills1 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:25 pm

ClaretLoup wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:04 pm

The two fixtures you mention at the top of your post got thinking. The defeat to Blackburn at home was a night match roughly around this time of year, maybe a little earlier. I'd be just short of my 10 th birthday. To say they took a hammering that night would.be an understatement. I was stood on the old Cricket Field terrace and the ball just wouldn't go in the net. Their goalscorer for a.0-1 win was Barrie Ratcliffe and I don't think I ever heard of him again though I've never forgotten his name.
The game v ManUtd was on a bright Saturday afternoon and again we expected to win it. I think it was the game they put Irish defender, Noel Cantrell, up front. He scored, possibly two, and they ran out winners 1-3. Only young as I've pointed out but it reminded me of a long track race where the leader has built a big lead but then can see it being gradually eroded away with the one in front not being able to respond. Despite the setbacks I absolutely loved that era.

Silkyskills1

Post by Silkyskills1 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:30 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:12 pm
I'm too young to be honest to offer a good view. I did see the 1961/62 season and it is often said that one of the major problems at the end of that season was an injury and lack of form from Jimmy Mac. He played in only five of the last ten games. Up to that point we were walking away with it but we won 1, drew 5 and lost 4 of those last 10.

On the subject of that season, I had been hoping to continue this feature over another two seasons 60/61 and 61/62 but I haven't got the material as yet so might be difficult in the current situation.
Well, we've got match reports from many,.if not all those seasons along with newspaper pictures etc. at my brother's house, CT. Might be useful.
This user liked this post: ClaretTony

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:32 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:25 pm
The two fixtures you mention at the top of your post got thinking. The defeat to Blackburn at home was a night match roughly around this time of year, maybe a little earlier. I'd be just short of my 10 th birthday. To say they took a hammering that night would.be an understatement. I was stood on the old Cricket Field terrace and the ball just wouldn't go in the net. Their goalscorer for a.0-1 win was Barrie Ratcliffe and I don't think I ever heard of him again though I've never forgotten his name.
The game v ManUtd was on a bright Saturday afternoon and again we expected to win it. I think it was the game they put Irish defender, Noel Cantrell, up front. He scored, possibly two, and they ran out winners 1-3. Only young as I've pointed out but it reminded me of a long track race where the leader has built a big lead but then can see it being gradually eroded away with the one in front not being able to respond. Despite the setbacks I absolutely loved that era.
The Blackburn game was definitely a midweek game. Burnley decided to hand vouchers out that night to non-season ticket holders to give them a chance of purchasing a cup final ticket. All the Blackburn fans were coming in getting vouchers. I wasn't able to get the Blackburn scorer but if it was Ratcliffe, his brother Brian was captain of East Lancs in the Lancashire League for years and a more objectionable man would be difficult to find. He once came on to sub field for Burnley in a game and turned his back on a dolly catch. Roland Harrison then asked him to leave the field although I don't think 'Please leave the field' were Roland's exact words.

Noel Cantwell, Shay Brennan (pen) and David Herd for United.
These 2 users liked this post: Silkyskills1 Anonymous

Silkyskills1

Post by Silkyskills1 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:42 pm

Definetly Barrie Ratcliffe, CT. Never forgotten it, never will. I can see the goal now as I type. First half, at the Cricket Field End and shot across Adam, right footed shot from a breakaway. Curly, fair hair and a face I'd never tire of slapping. No grudges though.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:06 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:42 pm
Definetly Barrie Ratcliffe, CT. Never forgotten it, never will. I can see the goal now as I type. First half, at the Cricket Field End and shot across Adam, right footed shot from a breakaway. Curly, fair hair and a face I'd never tire of slapping. No grudges though.
I've added it to the 61/62 results page - thanks for that

Helmshore Claret
Been Liked: 32 times
Has Liked: 78 times

Post by Helmshore Claret » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:07 am

I bought several of those vouchers from friends , who were Rovers fans , I hadn't a clue how it was going to work or whatever , but I do remember paying 6d each for them. They were blue with a single letter on them.

Silkyskills1

Post by Silkyskills1 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:35 am

Helmshore Claret wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:07 am
I bought several of those vouchers from friends , who were Rovers fans , I hadn't a clue how it was going to work or whatever , but I do remember paying 6d each for them. They were blue with a single letter on them.
I seem to recall you didn't need a voucher at all, HC. :(
This user liked this post: Helmshore Claret

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:25 pm

Helmshore Claret wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:07 am
They were, and the mayor drew out some of those letters and if you had a voucher with that letter on you were entitled to go and buy a ticket. We only received 15,000 tickets for the final and these were the remaining tickets once the season ticket holders had taken their entitlement.

Helmshore Claret
Been Liked: 32 times
Has Liked: 78 times

Post by Helmshore Claret » Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:35 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:35 am
I seem to recall you didn't need a voucher at all, HC. :(
touché !
This user liked this post: Silkyskills1

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 2001 times
Has Liked: 1148 times

Post by FCBurnley » Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:49 pm

Interesting that all Burnleys goals in the last 5 games of the 59/60 season were scored by Brian Pilkington and Trevor Meredith ( I think) What a job TM did standing in for John Connelly. Whilst he gets acknowledged for the winner at Maine Rd he probably never got the plaudits for those late season goals.