cycle route to malham

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
dsr
Been Liked: 4578 times
Has Liked: 2270 times

Re: cycle route to malham

Post by dsr » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:21 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:02 pm
It depends where abouts in the countryside really doesn’t it? For example, where I live the people would flock to the Cow and Calf, Ilkley or The Chevin. Both of these places are in open countryside but have specific car parks and walking routes that hundreds of people would be using. The likes of Roundhay Park would be absolutely swamped with people. The lockdown measures allow for people to go out for exercise, like i have done with a run this morning - not for a family day out.
You're right, they probably would.

A better option would to drive towards (say) Settle, up on the moors, where there are dozens of little roads with lay-bys that you can park in (or off road, with the ground being like it is) and just walk along the road. The entire population of Burnley could fit up there and still maintain social distancing.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1185 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:28 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:02 pm
It depends where abouts in the countryside really doesn’t it? For example, where I live the people would flock to the Cow and Calf, Ilkley or The Chevin. Both of these places are in open countryside but have specific car parks and walking routes that hundreds of people would be using. The likes of Roundhay Park would be absolutely swamped with people. The lockdown measures allow for people to go out for exercise, like i have done with a run this morning - not for a family day out.
If you are a family & you are only allowed out once a day & you all exercise as a family together, for all intent & purposes you might as well describe it as a family day out, let's face it if it's the only opportunity you are going to get within 24hrs you are not going to be in any kind of rush to get back indoors whilst the weathers grand, I don't see a problem with it, they keep themselves to themselves & aren't a nuisance in any shape or form.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6963 times
Has Liked: 1483 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:45 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:28 pm
If you are a family & you are only allowed out once a day & you all exercise as a family together, for all intent & purposes you might as well describe it as a family day out, let's face it if it's the only opportunity you are going to get within 24hrs you are not going to be in any kind of rush to get back indoors whilst the weathers grand, I don't see a problem with it, they keep themselves to themselves & aren't a nuisance in any shape or form.
It’s not a day out though is it? We’re allowed to take a walk locally with our family. Not drive somewhere and spend the day out and have a picnic. I know you don’t see a problem with it but you don’t make the rules. If everyone had the same attitude then the lockdown simply wouldn’t work.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:06 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:45 pm
It’s not a day out though is it? We’re allowed to take a walk locally with our family. Not drive somewhere and spend the day out and have a picnic. I know you don’t see a problem with it but you don’t make the rules. If everyone had the same attitude then the lockdown simply wouldn’t work.
The caveat being we aren't crediting people with the intelligence their deserve, does it make a really big deal people enjoying themselves providing there aren't spreading the virus, the number 1 important paramount point being the virus isn't spread. I'm back at work & I've noticed more & more people are going back just in staggered stages, there's more chance of catching it whilst in work, than in a remote field sharing some sarnies with your wife & kids.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:08 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:06 pm
The caveat being we aren't crediting people with the intelligence their deserve, does it make a really big deal people enjoying themselves providing there aren't spreading the virus, the number 1 important paramount point being the virus isn't spread. I'm back at work & I've noticed more & more people are going back just in staggered stages, there's more chance of catching it whilst in work, than in a remote field sharing some sarnies with your wife & kids.
Clearly some people don’t deserve to be credited with any intelligence, so everyone has to be treated equally and the rules have to apply to everyone. Like I say, if everyone had the same attitude as you, and thankfully they don’t, then the lockdown just wouldn’t work.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:15 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:08 pm
Clearly some people don’t deserve to be credited with any intelligence, so everyone has to be treated equally and the rules have to apply to everyone. Like I say, if everyone had the same attitude as you, and thankfully they don’t, then the lockdown just wouldn’t work.
I can 100% guarantee my actions will not spread the virus its highly unlikely I'll even get it to spread it, you just have to respect/abide the social distances measures & sanitise more regularly, it's a cakewalk, then again not everybody's in the right kind of environment to minimise the risk/exposure. People with my attitude will make the lockdown work by being a recluse (almost) & super clean, I go far beyond any government measures most of the time I'm about 30ft from people.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:20 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:15 pm
I can 100% guarantee my actions will not spread the virus its highly unlikely I'll even get it to spread it, you just have to respect/abide the social distances measures & sanitise more regularly, it's a cakewalk, then again not everybody's in the right kind of environment to minimise the risk/exposure. People with my attitude will make the lockdown work by being a recluse (almost) & super clean, I go far beyond any government measures most of the time I'm about 30ft from people.
Your actions may be that of a recluse but your attitude is that it’s fine for people to ignore the rules and use their common sense. If everyone had that attitude the lockdown wouldn’t work.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:29 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:20 pm
Your actions may be that of a recluse but your attitude is that it’s fine for people to ignore the rules and use their common sense. If everyone had that attitude the lockdown wouldn’t work.
Because I know common sense will triumph, the rules are already been broken by some non essential workers working & the social distancing measures ignored, it's a kickback rebellion by some, nobody likes to be told what to do, when people (some) simply know to do. I've got more belief in the majority of UK population showing common sense than your indoctrinated beliefs coming from downing Street.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5560 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:34 pm

Jakub. If you ever had any credibility it was lost when you told us all how you had been touring the hardware shops of Lancashire looking for "essential" items.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:44 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:34 pm
Jakub. If you ever had any credibility it was lost when you told us all how you had been touring the hardware shops of Lancashire looking for "essential" items.
Yes, on 1 occasion for a generator incase of a power cut & I'll hasten to add legally I was well within my rights & following ALL governmental guidelines.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:46 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:29 pm
Because I know common sense will triumph, the rules are already been broken by some non essential workers working & the social distancing measures ignored, it's a kickback rebellion by some, nobody likes to be told what to do, when people (some) simply know to do. I've got more belief in the majority of UK population showing common sense than your indoctrinated beliefs coming from downing Street.
Unfortunately, it is because of people like you that our liberties are being restricted to such a degree.

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:51 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:44 pm
Yes, on 1 occasion for a generator incase of a power cut & I'll hasten to add legally I was well within my rights & following ALL governmental guidelines.
A generator? Haha
What about the paint?

claretnproud
Been Liked: 261 times
Has Liked: 21 times

Post by claretnproud » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:41 pm

I bet half the population has shopped for none essential items. For me though its down to common sense. ok B and Q closed initially but that was down to the company and not a government request/order. I think getting D.I.Y supplies makes sense in the grand scheme of things providing social distancing in place.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:21 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:46 pm
Unfortunately, it is because of people like you that our liberties are being restricted to such a degree.
Or the alternative slant being that some people are incapable of thinking for themselves & showing common sense & as a result of this they are solely reliant on the government imposing rules & thinking for them. That could perhaps be a more plausible reason why the freedom is restricted.
This user liked this post: claretnproud

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:28 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:21 pm
Or the alternative slant being that some people are incapable of thinking for themselves & showing common sense & as a result of this they are solely reliant on the government imposing rules & thinking for them. That could perhaps be a more plausible reason why the freedom is restricted.
That’s not really an alternative slant. You’ve backed up what I said in that some people can’t be trusted to show common sense in a scenario like this, so a blanket set of rules has to be imposed on everyone. You fall into the category of people who can’t be trusted because you think that it’s ok to not follow the rules.

Of course people need the government to think for them to an extent because the government take their advice from the country’s most senior medical advisors.

claretnproud

Post by claretnproud » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:29 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:21 pm
government rules are aimed at the dumbest of the dumb. Also speeding etc.For instance you are traveling in a 30mph zone but road surface is wet and road conditions busy. As an experienced driver I often dont go 30mph but more like 20-25. Society gets used to being told what to do but as a small business owner I have had to work things out for myself and am capable of thinking most things out for myself. Despite what any governing body might tell us in LONDON.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:32 pm

Jesus Christ. There’s two of them.

claretnproud

Post by claretnproud » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:44 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:32 pm
Jesus Christ. There’s two of them.
Perhaps even more people out there who can actually think for themselves. Thats the rumour going round :o

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:46 pm

claretnproud wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:44 pm
Perhaps even more people out there who can actually think for themselves. Thats the rumour going round :o
So let me get this straight. Because you can think for yourself you don’t think that you need to abide by the current rules set out by the government in LONDON?

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:23 pm

claretnproud wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:29 pm
government rules are aimed at the dumbest of the dumb. Also speeding etc.For instance you are traveling in a 30mph zone but road surface is wet and road conditions busy. As an experienced driver I often dont go 30mph but more like 20-25. Society gets used to being told what to do but as a small business owner I have had to work things out for myself and am capable of thinking most things out for myself. Despite what any governing body might tell us in LONDON.
I know & I agree, unfortunately there's enough people out there to warrant all the measures in place. Some folk are just plain daft & cannot be reasoned with.

pushpinpussy
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 134 times

Post by pushpinpussy » Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:30 pm

I still don't get why it's so hard to follow this simple safety measure. As I have said all along I can't help but think that those who continue to selectively social distance or ignore it altogether are ignorant and selfish. Am I surprised at the idiots on here who ignore it. No. I half expected the morons to do it and they have succeeded and proved me right. take a bow guys. You must be so proud of yourselves. You must feel more important than us. I would have hoped you would taken It seriously, like the majority with a brain. Try thinking of other people for a change, the healthcare professionals, those in the food and agriculture industries and all the other people who show up day after day doing their share to serve us.

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:06 pm

I'd love to know what claretnproud's daily lockdown routine is.

claretnproud

Post by claretnproud » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:57 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:06 pm
I'd love to know what claretnproud's daily lockdown routine is.
easy
improving my health and well being (Which has helped my asthma no end)
looking after my family/friends who need a cycle drop due to them isolating.
avoid message boards where random strangers who have been stir crazy for weeks
think they are qualified to organise my day for me ;) ;)
and all of the above is keeping me fit/well and motivated.
you really should try it :) .

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8536 times
Has Liked: 18276 times

Post by Bosscat » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:20 pm

claretnproud wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:57 pm
easy
improving my health and well being (Which has helped my asthma no end)
looking after my family/friends who need a cycle drop due to them isolating.
avoid message boards where random strangers who have been stir crazy for weeks
think they are qualified to organise my day for me ;) ;)
and all of the above is keeping me fit/well and motivated.
you really should try it :) .
Brilliant reply C&P bloody brilliant ... post of the day

👍😎👍

beddie
Been Liked: 1408 times
Has Liked: 520 times

Post by beddie » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:07 am

Still people turn up. i really don't understand some people.

"Whist working yesterday I had request colleague assistance on several occasions. I wasn't outside a nightclub, I was at Malham!
Politely engaging with folk to go back to where they came from (Kent, Barnsley, Bradford, Dewsbury, Accrington. ... .)their sense of entitlement kicked in, and I endured more abuse than I ever have dealing with drunken idiots outside nightclubs. Social distancing does not come into it when you are a cop, and folks want to get in your face to give you the reasons that they are entitled to unnecessary travel with their friends from different households to exercise by carrying shopping bags full of food to beauty locations because they are feeling ill and want fresh air! One group spitting at the ground in front of me, one bloke screaming in my face in front of his children after he had also abused a farmer who had challenged him about his dog chasing sheep, and climbing over dry stone walls to avoid footpaths. I dispersed a party on top of the Cove, who had also been abusing locals, having a BBQ on parched ground, and I collected all the litter (except the BBQ as is was still lit). There are face masks littering the Cove road - a biohazard which I am not prepared or equiped to pick up. The excuses were endless, including 'BBC spreading lies' 'we don't believe in the disease' 'human rights'.
I am blessed to live in the area, but it has been by choice and huge expense. My business suffered 80% loss during foot and mouth with no subsidies, so I have taken the rough with the smooth.
Towards the end of the day, a press photographer turned up.... I am now waiting for the inevitable police slating for trying to enforce guidelines which are an attempt to save lives.
I have never wanted rain as much in my life, especially as I get to do it all again today!
This rant isn't about being any kind of hero or for looking for any praise, I am just venting 🙄 Sorry 🤗🌈 "
This user liked this post: Fazz

Fazz
Been Liked: 77 times
Has Liked: 24 times

Post by Fazz » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:11 pm

beddie wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:07 am
Still people turn up. i really don't understand some people.

"Whist working yesterday I had request colleague assistance on several occasions. I wasn't outside a nightclub, I was at Malham!
Politely engaging with folk to go back to where they came from (Kent, Barnsley, Bradford, Dewsbury, Accrington. ... .)their sense of entitlement kicked in, and I endured more abuse than I ever have dealing with drunken idiots outside nightclubs. Social distancing does not come into it when you are a cop, and folks want to get in your face to give you the reasons that they are entitled to unnecessary travel with their friends from different households to exercise by carrying shopping bags full of food to beauty locations because they are feeling ill and want fresh air! One group spitting at the ground in front of me, one bloke screaming in my face in front of his children after he had also abused a farmer who had challenged him about his dog chasing sheep, and climbing over dry stone walls to avoid footpaths. I dispersed a party on top of the Cove, who had also been abusing locals, having a BBQ on parched ground, and I collected all the litter (except the BBQ as is was still lit). There are face masks littering the Cove road - a biohazard which I am not prepared or equiped to pick up. The excuses were endless, including 'BBC spreading lies' 'we don't believe in the disease' 'human rights'.
I am blessed to live in the area, but it has been by choice and huge expense. My business suffered 80% loss during foot and mouth with no subsidies, so I have taken the rough with the smooth.
Towards the end of the day, a press photographer turned up.... I am now waiting for the inevitable police slating for trying to enforce guidelines which are an attempt to save lives.
I have never wanted rain as much in my life, especially as I get to do it all again today!
This rant isn't about being any kind of hero or for looking for any praise, I am just venting 🙄 Sorry 🤗🌈 "
I saw this on FB yesterday...we do really have some appalling people in this country :(

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:50 pm

Fazz wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:11 pm
I saw this on FB yesterday...we do really have some appalling people in this country :(
I read it, and initially thought it was a police officer. But then they talk about their business suffering, so not too sure of the person's status, though the behaviour described is diabolical

Claretincraven
Been Liked: 130 times
Has Liked: 55 times

Post by Claretincraven » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:18 pm

Grumps wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:50 pm
I read it, and initially thought it was a police officer. But then they talk about their business suffering, so not too sure of the person's status, though the behaviour described is diabolical
According to the Ladies Facebook page she is North Yorkshire Police, former Cumbria Police. Given Foot and Mouth hit this area in 2001 she could quite easily have had a different role then I guess.

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:30 pm

Claretincraven wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:18 pm
According to the Ladies Facebook page she is North Yorkshire Police, former Cumbria Police. Given Foot and Mouth hit this area in 2001 she could quite easily have had a different role then I guess.
Quite possibly, ta

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1820 times
Has Liked: 1800 times

Post by dougcollins » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:59 pm

If you are relying on the common sense of the British public you may as well give up now.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:37 pm

The people turning up at places like Malham with picnics and bbqs are a disgrace to the country. Its a shame some of these people didn’t spend a few years in the Eastern Block where you had no choice but to do as you were told. I hope some massive fines or sentences are imposed for the thick idiots. Most people are making real efforts to abide by the rules but a minority havnt got a clue what 2 metres means. Far too early to come out of lockdown yet.

ChorltonCharlie
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 75 times

Post by ChorltonCharlie » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:43 am

I don’t think the government, police and media have helped places like Malham. There have been mixed messages and the latest police guidance whilst being supportive of people following the guidance and doing things like exercise, has probably given some people the wrong idea. It’s easy to rant at idiots, but the simple fact is we don’t all have the same levels of intelligence and there will be good people who genuinely have interpreted the guidance wrongly. The people I’d direct my ire at would be the ones who do get it but are determined to find any way to bend the rules.

These two are great examples of where the police have tried to help, but have probably given the wrong impression:

Is “Likely to be reasonable"…
• Driving to countryside and walking (where far more time is spent walking than driving).
• Stopping to rest or to eat lunch while on a long walk.

What doesn’t help there is no context to why and how far. I assume that the idea of the driving bit is if you live in a large town or city, you can jump in your car and drive to the edge of the urban area to get your exercise. I expect that they saw this as journeys of mileage of single figures, but it doesn’t say that. So whilst the majority will realise it’s not about driving from Keighley or Accrington to Malham for a 10 mile family walk and stopping for lunch half way around, you can see why some people will see the above and genuinely think it’s allowed.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6390 times
Has Liked: 8740 times

Post by IanMcL » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:44 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:23 pm
I know & I agree, unfortunately there's enough people out there to warrant all the measures in place. Some folk are just plain daft & cannot be reasoned with.
They use disinfectant.

Claretitus
Been Liked: 333 times
Has Liked: 211 times

Post by Claretitus » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:20 am

Grumps wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:50 pm
The long article was from a police officer!! The clue is in the quotation marks. Then beddie,has replied putting his/her slant on it, and I must admit, if I was local to Malham,I too would have been praying for rain, to keep these gangs of selfish idiots away. :oops: