Widdop Moor fire today

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Bfc
Been Liked: 443 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Widdop Moor fire today

Post by Bfc » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:39 pm

As reported on the tv news today, a grass fire is/ has been fought by firemen and gamekeepers. The fire was started by one of 2 young lads, who was seen to drop a lit cigerette into the grass. This caught fire and the lady who witnessed it, shouted at them to put it out, before it got out of hand, but they ran away, allegedly shouting it wasn't him, it was his cigarette. A lot of moorland has been burnt and nests containing eggs have been destroyed.
I dread to think how much of the moorland would've been damaged, if that lady had not acted so quickly, in alerting the fire service. Even staying to help put out the fire, well done to her.
Please readers, if you've young teenage children, advise them, if they smoke, of the dangers of smoking in or around tinder dry grassed areas. Your advice might save some severe fire damage and maybe a life.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3106 times
Has Liked: 3824 times

Re: Widdop Moor fire today

Post by NewClaret » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:45 pm

Saw this whilst out on my run tonight. Was throwing off a lot of smoke. Immediately thought it would have been started deliberately. Absolute idiots. Tragic for the beautiful moorland and wildlife there.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5080 times
Has Liked: 6883 times

Post by bfcjg » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:46 pm

I noticed that fire today, glad it's under control. The retards who started it should be severely punished.

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:46 pm

They have pictures of the moron and a car registration number he drove off in,so hopefully he will be found and prosecuted the eejit.
These 2 users liked this post: Billy Balfour FactualFrank

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2974 times
Has Liked: 2075 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:46 pm

Whilst out on my bike, I saw a group of 4 young lads down Ivy Bank this afternoon sharing
a joint. The whiff of cannabis was quite pungent - hope they set fire to themselves.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3106 times
Has Liked: 3824 times

Post by NewClaret » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:50 pm

conyoviejo wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:46 pm
They have pictures of the moron and a car registration number he drove off in,so hopefully he will be found and prosecuted the eejit.
Good. Hope they get locked up.

BurnleyPaul
Been Liked: 158 times
Has Liked: 45 times

Post by BurnleyPaul » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:56 pm

The number of people who are going up towards Thursden Valley and Coldwell is scary.

I’m up every day as a bailiff on Coldwell reservoirs and the number of people is just shocking- dozens every day, no social distancing, arriving in separate cars and greeting each other, wandering onto private land etc.... in the last three days I’ve had to throw 8 people off the reservoirs!

The smell of the drugs that some are smoking in their cars is very strong- God only knows why the police aren’t stopping them as they drive around.

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:07 pm

BurnleyPaul wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:56 pm
The number of people who are going up towards Thursden Valley and Coldwell is scary.

I’m up every day as a bailiff on Coldwell reservoirs and the number of people is just shocking- dozens every day, no social distancing, arriving in separate cars and greeting each other, wandering onto private land etc.... in the last three days I’ve had to throw 8 people off the reservoirs!

The smell of the drugs that some are smoking in their cars is very strong- God only knows why the police aren’t stopping them as they drive around.
Tossers..you should have chucked them in the res. :D

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:28 pm

Smokers eh.........its all been said.

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:38 pm

BurnleyPaul wrote:

I'm getting so hacked off with some people treating this as a free holiday. Here's a thing. Those who flout the lockdown guidelines should be forced to forfeit their 80 percent of the estimated earnings they are getting from the govt, that's if they are claiming it. If not, deduct 80 percent from benefits, or pension. The £60 fines, reduced to £30 if paid within 14 days, aren't much of a deterrent to those who don't give a sh1t about anyone else apart from themselves.

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1770 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:43 pm

I was walking over the tops of Rossendale, and you could see it billowing out from over the hills. The smoke carried for miles

Hendrickxz
Been Liked: 200 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Hendrickxz » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:29 am

BurnleyPaul wrote:

Would that be the same police who never seem to be around when idiots start using the quieter roads as a racetrack. They have been howling round the Padiham to Whalley road all weeked and for the past three weekens since lockdown.

BurnleyPaul

Post by BurnleyPaul » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:27 pm

conyoviejo wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:07 pm
Tossers..you should have chucked them in the res. :D
Not a bloody chance- I don’t want them polluting it! I’ve got the trout in there to think of... :lol:
These 2 users liked this post: conyoviejo Buxtonclaret

BurnleyPaul

Post by BurnleyPaul » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:29 pm

Billy Balfour wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:38 pm
I'm getting so hacked off with some people treating this as a free holiday. Here's a thing. Those who flout the lockdown guidelines should be forced to forfeit their 80 percent of the estimated earnings they are getting from the govt, that's if they are claiming it. If not, deduct 80 percent from benefits, or pension. The £60 fines, reduced to £30 if paid within 14 days, aren't much of a deterrent to those who don't give a sh1t about anyone else apart from themselves.
Unfortunately it’s not a “lockdown” though....it’s best described as ‘asking people nicely to do the right thing’! France, Spain, Italy, Belgium, Germany, Austria etc have a lockdown where people aren’t allowed out of their house except for a very small list of reasons. We’re nowhere near that...
This user liked this post: Woonderbah

Woonderbah
Been Liked: 329 times
Has Liked: 371 times

Post by Woonderbah » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:52 pm

BurnleyPaul wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:29 pm
Unfortunately it’s not a “lockdown” though....it’s best described as ‘asking people nicely to do the right thing’! France, Spain, Italy, Belgium, Germany, Austria etc have a lockdown where people aren’t allowed out of their house except for a very small list of reasons. We’re nowhere near that...

When these countries start relaxing their lockdowns they will probably still be stricter than ours.
Unfortunately, our way to deal with the virus doesn't take into account this country's high percentage of selfish morons like this pathetic arsonist.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

bfcmik
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 1102 times

Post by bfcmik » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:01 pm

Woonderbah wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:52 pm
When these countries start relaxing their lockdowns they will probably still be stricter than ours.
Unfortunately, our way to deal with the virus doesn't take into account this country's high percentage of selfish morons like this pathetic arsonist.
That 'high percentage' is almost certainly a very low percentage in reality. There are 64 million people living in the UK and I doubt that there are even half a million people flouting the guidelines - let alone breaking any laws - which is less than 1%.