RIP to all the nursing staff who have paid the ultimate sacrifice

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

RIP to all the nursing staff who have paid the ultimate sacrifice

Post by tiger76 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:46 pm

Totally APOLITICAL but just marking their dedication to duty,which has sadly led to them paying the highest price possible.

Suffice to state the list is constantly updating so i'll just post the link https://www.nursingtimes.net/news/workf ... -04-2020/

These are the human faces behind the numbers,and this really brings it home to you.

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2176 times
Has Liked: 3110 times

Re: RIP to all the nursing staff who have paid the ultimate sacrifice

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:48 pm

Is it hyperbolic to think there should be a cumulative, symbolic state funeral for the members of the NHS who have made such a sacrifice?

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:59 pm

ZizkovClaret wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:48 pm
Is it hyperbolic to think there should be a cumulative, symbolic state funeral for the members of the NHS who have made such a sacrifice?
I don't know whether that would be appropriate,but they definitely have to be publicly recognised in some manner,and once the time is right i'm sure they will be,perhaps a service in St Paul's and other places around the country,and similar lasting commemorations as the military personnel receive would be more fitting.
These 2 users liked this post: FactualFrank Goodclaret

mdd2
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:08 pm

What Tiger 76 has said. We have all faced flu pandemics and seen colleagues go from polio, hepatitis B and in the distant past TB whilst caring for the sick but this beats all before us and in today's climate where we seem to remember most things of sadness, this one will be with us for generations and needs to be amongst the "lest we forget" brigade. We need to remember these losses and respect those in essential service and when this has died down we need to come down hard to stop the renegades attacking those out there who get up every day not to harm us, but to help us in our daily lives
These 5 users liked this post: Funkydrummer summitclaret tiger76 Ashingtonclaret46 Redbeard

Terrier
Been Liked: 234 times
Has Liked: 124 times

Post by Terrier » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:32 pm

Sadly nurses have been under valued for ever, my wife was a nurse for nearly 40 yr and even though she loved her job she got out at 55yr old being moved to blackburn( she has no interest in football) was the last straw. The wages are poor for what they have to put up with and to add they have to pay an annual registration fee to work and even more laughable pay to park their car when they get to work and that's after driving on the unlit motorway to work nights!!.
The stories she has told me about the public in general and the lack of respect( patients and visitors) shown to nurses makes me glad she got out.
After this is over all nhs workers have to be given a good rise but especially the nurses, if it was possible 25% would be a start.
These 2 users liked this post: Tricky Trevor Juan Tanamera

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1160 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:19 pm

Terrier wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:32 pm
Sadly nurses have been under valued for ever, my wife was a nurse for nearly 40 yr and even though she loved her job she got out at 55yr old being moved to blackburn( she has no interest in football) was the last straw. The wages are poor for what they have to put up with and to add they have to pay an annual registration fee to work and even more laughable pay to park their car when they get to work and that's after driving on the unlit motorway to work nights!!.
The stories she has told me about the public in general and the lack of respect( patients and visitors) shown to nurses makes me glad she got out.
After this is over all nhs workers have to be given a good rise but especially the nurses, if it was possible 25% would be a start.
Some very good points/observations there. Though nurses have a lot of plus points too re:employment . Guaranteed job , good pension ,good working conditions , decent salary , relatively easy career progression ( if needed) , a strong union , almost impossible to be sacked ( barring physical assault ) , early retirement incentives, ability to re-locate, career breaks , lots of overtime ( bank work etc) . That said can we ever put a price on people saving lives and caring for us in our hour of need ? . We’re very lucky to have them .

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:11 pm

BBC identifies 114 health worker deaths linked to Covid-19
Analysis by BBC News has identified 114 health worker deaths linked to the coronavirus.

Additional analysis found credible reports for the deaths of 16 social care workers across the UK.

According to Health Secretary Matt Hancock, 82 NHS workers and 16 social care workers have died from Covid-19 in England.

Our analysis of 114 reported health worker deaths records that 59 of those who died were male, 54 female.

In England we have recorded 100 deaths; in Scotland four deaths; in Wales nine deaths. To date, we have not recorded any health worker deaths in Northern Ireland.

BAME - Black, Asian, and minority ethnic - staff account for 70 deaths, where we have been able to establish ethnicity.

Within BAME deaths, 26 are reportedly from Black backgrounds; 21 from South Asian backgrounds; 19 from East Asian backgrounds, of which 14 Filipino; and four from Arabic backgrounds.

Of the doctors who we believe were working in a hospital environment all 17 are BAME and male, with almost all over 50.

Medical staff account for 24 deaths; nursing and midwifery 39 deaths; allied occupations 51 deaths.

It is unclear how many contracted the virus in the course of their work in the health sector.

Separate analysis by Health Service Journal suggests that the rate of death is “largely consistent with the number of healthcare workers in the population.”

The BBC News analysis is based on deaths reported in the public domain where we have been able to establish their occupation as being medical or other occupations in a health setting - including pharmacists, hospital porters, paramedics and other roles.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2472 times
Has Liked: 2009 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:20 pm

A pay rise would be the acclaim they deserve. As the tories applauded when they voted down their previous pay rise don’t hold your breath.
As with all public servants underpaid and under-valued.

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3189 times
Has Liked: 1870 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:31 pm

Sadly I know one of the names on that list

She worked and was good friends with my mum, and he son was an usher at our wedding.

Although I’m in NHS so aware of what frontline staff are going through it really does hit home more when you know somebody effected

KateR
Been Liked: 1019 times
Has Liked: 6172 times

Post by KateR » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:03 pm

Something should be done for sure, hopefully for all frontline personnel losing a life is an ultimate sacrifice and as we are constantly reminded we are fighting a war here, all be it against a silent unseen enemy.

SammyBoy
Been Liked: 469 times
Has Liked: 434 times

Post by SammyBoy » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:26 pm

My girlfriend is an A&E nurse at Royal Preston Hospital and the COVID crisis has really highlighted how many time wasters ordinarily take up valuable NHS resources. For most of lockdown non-COVID admissions dropped to almost zero because people were staying away, with only major traumas (heart attacks, serious injuries etc) arriving. As soon as RPH released the statement in the article below apparently all the day trippers came back literally overnight with their headaches and bruised fingers :roll:

https://www.itv.com/news/granada/2020-0 ... bers-fall/

Hipper
Been Liked: 1178 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Hipper » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:05 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:11 pm
It is unclear how many contracted the virus in the course of their work in the health sectors.
The Daily Mail claimed that:

'Out of almost 17,000 swabs carried out on key workers to date, 5,733 people have been infected - a rate of 33 per cent.

In comparison, 23 per cent of those in the general population, NHS hospital patients, have tested positive for the killer virus.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... itive.html

That still really doesn't answer the question.

Add to that it seems that many ethnic people seem to be more at risk but again it is unclear whether this is biological or connected to their economic situation.

This is a really important question - are those exposing themselves to the virus, such as transport and shop workers, and particularly health and care workers, really more vulnerable to catching the disease. It would seem obvious the answer is 'yes' but it is not clear in any stats. You can then ask 'is the current PPE regime having an impact in reducing this vulnerability'. Again the obvious answer would be 'yes' but has there been any research on this.

There's a lot of people complaining about various matters relating to this but it seems to me they are just basing their views just on surmises rather then research.