Football behind closed doors - Would you subscribe

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
wembley94
Been Liked: 24 times
Has Liked: 24 times

Football behind closed doors - Would you subscribe

Post by wembley94 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:32 pm

Unlikely football fans will be allowed into grounds next season.and cannot see big TV networks paying hundreds and millions.for behind closed doors football.so if every premier league game gets streamed live.like pay per view boxing would you subscribe

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Re: Football behind closed doors - Would you subscribe

Post by Spijed » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:42 pm

Very likely to be free

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:55 pm

We have an outdated method of watching football.

If you subscribe for sports you're only able to watch what THEY decide you can watch.

I'm fairly certain people would be happier with the option to watch whichever game they like and still pay the same amount, maybe more.

I understand the old TV rules about the 3pm kick off and the worry about attendances, but people can still watch pirated streams and grounds across the country sell out.

Claretitus
Been Liked: 331 times
Has Liked: 207 times

Post by Claretitus » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:09 pm

If I get my season ticket money back- yes. Otherwise no. I've already paid/am still paying for games I probably won't get to see. Am I gonna pay again-NO.

Jimmymaccer
Been Liked: 597 times
Has Liked: 194 times

Post by Jimmymaccer » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:13 pm

Not be allowed in “next season”.......noooooooooooooooooo!

DCWat
Been Liked: 4142 times
Has Liked: 3604 times

Post by DCWat » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:14 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:55 pm

If you subscribe for sports you're only able to watch what THEY decide you can watch.

I'm fairly certain people would be happier with the option to watch whichever game they like and still pay the same amount, maybe more.

I understand the old TV rules about the 3pm kick off and the worry about attendances, but people can still watch pirated streams and grounds across the country sell out.
The bigger worry for me is being able to ensure a fair distribution of the money. It is an outdated method of watching (or it will be if it’s ever allowed legally) but we all know that the big clubs will want an even greater share, which can’t be good for the competitions that all clubs play in.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

paulatky
Been Liked: 220 times
Has Liked: 772 times

Post by paulatky » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:27 pm

The games would have to be free to air otnerwise fans would congregate in friends houses who had Sky or BT hence going against social distancing advice.
This user liked this post: tiger76

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6362 times
Has Liked: 8705 times

Post by IanMcL » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:31 pm

Football is essential to my wellbeing. Attending especially so.

Enty1974
Been Liked: 25 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by Enty1974 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:36 pm

Nobody is getting any season ticket money back. Fact

Targetman
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 46 times

Post by Targetman » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:31 pm

Enty1974 wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:36 pm
Nobody is getting any season ticket money back. Fact
No one knows whether that is correct or not. Fact.

Claretitus

Post by Claretitus » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:32 pm

So if you paid again you'd need to be certified. I'm thinking if I don't get my season ticket payments back for unwatched football, I'm finished with it permanently!! My flights are cancelled, I got my money back. Why should football be any different? This could spell the end for football as we know it. People who are laid off, Furloughed etc, are not gonna be dry bummed to keep football clubs going. OK, I miss football as much as the next guy, but the longer this goes on, the less you miss it, and realise there's more to life than than 22 Prima Donnas trying to kick a ball about.

Claretitus

Post by Claretitus » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:40 pm

Also, just had an e-mail stating I will get a refund for my concert tickets that I paid up front for. Again, why should football be different?

UnderSeige
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 832 times

Post by UnderSeige » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:16 pm

Two points:
  • I don't think that football would be the same without a crowd. The rapport between players and fans; the singing and cheering; the booing the referee when he makes mistakes; the rivalry between opposing supporters etc. It would be almost like watching a training session.
  • I can't see it being allowed anyway. Social distancing needs to be undertaken between footballers, managers, and others who would needed to be involved. There would also be gatherings of friends in peoples homes. There may even be a number of fans who congregate outside the ground with radio in hand.
It's best to wait while the pandemic is over and then get back to proper match days.

wembley94

Post by wembley94 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:45 pm

Thinking about ways next season can start.with clubs not getting any gate receipts.clubs like Man Utd and Liverpool with a huge worldwide fan base.won't have a problem.but will the smaller clubs have enough fans willing to subscribe

Dy1geo
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 62 times

Post by Dy1geo » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:40 pm

Targetman wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:31 pm
No one knows whether that is correct or not. Fact.
It would be good if we got some direction off the club regarding where we stand if matches next year are behind closed doors. The club could announce that the price of the 21/22 St will reflect the number of matches missed in season 20/21.

Winstonswhite
Been Liked: 608 times
Has Liked: 310 times

Post by Winstonswhite » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:18 pm

Claretitus wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:32 pm
So if you paid again you'd need to be certified. I'm thinking if I don't get my season ticket payments back for unwatched football, I'm finished with it permanently!! My flights are cancelled, I got my money back. Why should football be any different? This could spell the end for football as we know it. People who are laid off, Furloughed etc, are not gonna be dry bummed to keep football clubs going. OK, I miss football as much as the next guy, but the longer this goes on, the less you miss it, and realise there's more to life than than 22 Prima Donnas trying to kick a ball about.
Schalke have already asked their fans to forgo asking for rebates to help the club out. Wonder if other clubs will follow suit?

Gp8419
Been Liked: 93 times
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by Gp8419 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:30 pm

Who wants to watch football in empty stadiums just sack it off till we are allowed.Its like this darts at home crap that's going on right now shite! Fans make sport and I have zero interest in watching any sport in empty stadiums.This season needs to be scrapped now it's not worth clinging on for, it feels like the premier league is bigger than anything life is more important.

Dy1geo
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 62 times

Post by Dy1geo » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:36 pm

Winstonswhite wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:18 pm
Schalke have already asked their fans to forgo asking for rebates to help the club out. Wonder if other clubs will follow suit?
To be honest I have a different affiliation now to the club from the days of Ray Deakin driving the coach etc where money was tight, to now where players earn £40k a week and our ST’s are only a fraction of the total income. So yes if a refund was available I would accept it.

Targetman

Post by Targetman » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:37 pm

Dy1geo wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:40 pm
It would be good if we got some direction off the club regarding where we stand if matches next year are behind closed doors. The club could announce that the price of the 21/22 St will reflect the number of matches missed in season 20/21.
Some people seem to be implying that Burnley Football Club are going to keep their fans' season ticket money if games are played behind closed doors.

Do people really think that is going to happen?

Yes people are being refunded for concerts etc, the reason being that those concerts have been cancelled.

The Premier League season hasn't been cancelled, certainly not as yet, it has been paused. Burnley don't know whether their remaining league games will be played, and if they are to be played whether or not they will be played behind closed doors.

As such it is very difficult for the club to make any firm decisions or to make any announcements to supporters about season tickets, either for the remainder of this season or for next season.

For all we know the 20-21 season might not even take place, I think that is a possibility.
These 2 users liked this post: Leisure GodIsADeeJay81

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2461 times
Has Liked: 1991 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:00 pm

Can’t get these guys who can’t watch football without a crowd.
Do they watch the football or watch the crowd?
Of course it will be diminished but it is still football. Could work well for us as the refs won’t be so affected by noises off.
The PL have already said they are negotiating for free to air games. The matches would be staggered so this wouldn’t interfere with existing contracts and Sky/BT/Amazon would likely get the pick of the games for their buck.

Stanbill05
Been Liked: 140 times
Has Liked: 54 times

Post by Stanbill05 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:58 am

If your circumstances have changed and you need your ST money back, fair enough. If not, dry your eyes, especially if you took a free ST in 2009. The club are very very unlikely to see you off in the long run anyway.

Claretitus

Post by Claretitus » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:52 am

Targetman wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:37 pm
Some people seem to be implying that Burnley Football Club are going to keep their fans' season ticket money if games are played behind closed doors.

Do people really think that is going to happen?

Yes people are being refunded for concerts etc, the reason being that those concerts have been cancelled.

The Premier League season hasn't been cancelled, certainly not as yet, it has been paused. Burnley don't know whether their remaining league games will be played, and if they are to be played whether or not they will be played behind closed doors.

As such it is very difficult for the club to make any firm decisions or to make any announcements to supporters about season tickets, either for the remainder of this season or for next season.

For all we know the 20-21 season might not even take place, I think that is a possibility.
So IF it has only been paused, pause our season ticket direct debits. FFS why are we still expected to pay for something, like you said, has a very good chance of not happening. As I've stated before, only the cotton wool wrapped world of football could expect to get away with it.

Targetman

Post by Targetman » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:35 am

Claretitus wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:52 am
So IF it has only been paused, pause our season ticket direct debits. FFS why are we still expected to pay for something, like you said, has a very good chance of not happening. As I've stated before, only the cotton wool wrapped world of football could expect to get away with it.
Only the current season is paused at present, fans with season tickets for this season have already paid for them.

However season tickets for 2020-21 are a different matter. First direct debit payments are due shortly. With the situation as it is at the moment many people like yourself no longer wish to continue with their payments which is understandable. You don't have to make these payments, just cancel your direct debit.

There are also many people who would like to continue with their payments for next season not least because if the direct debits are paused for say a few months then when/if the 20-21 season gets underway as normal their monthly payments would then increase significantly.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:02 am

It’s an interesting argument that some people think that fans should not be asking for refund to help the club out.
If you had a ticket to see a band you were a big fan of would it be the same argument - foregoing your refund to help out multi millionaires ?
Even if everyone gave up their refund for a year it would equate to how much ? Around £5m ? That’s the equivalent of a couple of players annual wages - wages that most footballers (of any club) would insist on taking even if the season was completely cancelled and they could not play.

If somebody wants to donate £400 to the club then that’s of course up to them as individuals but for other fans to put pressure on them to do so is wrong. The right thing for the club to do if fans are unable to attend games is to offer full refunds - if they want to include an option in there to donate that’s fine.
This user liked this post: paulatky

Targetman

Post by Targetman » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:07 am

Is the club asking the fans for donations?

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:19 am

Targetman wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:07 am
Is the club asking the fans for donations?
Quite rightly the club are not doing anything yet. Until they know what’s happening with the rest of the season and next season then they don’t have to.
I’m sure they will be looking at various scenarios / options.

Claretitus

Post by Claretitus » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:31 am

TVC15 wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:19 am
Quite rightly the club are not doing anything yet. Until they know what’s happening with the rest of the season and next season then they don’t have to.
I’m sure they will be looking at various scenarios / options.
Agreed. To a point. It wouldn't stick in the throat as much if they actually came out and said what their intentions were, IN EACH OF THE DIFFERENT SCENARIOS.Just to sit back and continue taking money, whilst saying nothing, basically stinks.
This user liked this post: paulatky

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:47 am

Agree that they should come out and explain why they are continuing to take direct debits when there is no football - and little prospect of us going to watch any.
These 2 users liked this post: Claretitus paulatky

aggi
Been Liked: 2116 times

Post by aggi » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:32 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:55 pm

I've been predicting for a while that the next big shake-up for the Premier League will be live streaming, either through someone like Amazon or Disney or the PL taking control of it themselves. However, that will be along with a redistribution of the TV deal wich will be good for Man Utd, Liverpool, etc but terrible for Burnley.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

Goobs
Been Liked: 1463 times
Has Liked: 995 times

Post by Goobs » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:49 am

To answer the original question (a novel idea, I know ;)), yes I would subscribe if the price was right to watch the remainder of this season's games.

As for next season, we'll have to see what happens, but I'd like to think it will still go ahead with crowds if slightly delayed.

THEWELLERNUT70
Been Liked: 1032 times
Has Liked: 2039 times

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:09 pm

wembley94 wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:32 pm
Unlikely football fans will be allowed into grounds next season.and cannot see big TV networks paying hundreds and millions.for behind closed doors football.so if every premier league game gets streamed live.like pay per view boxing would you subscribe
Its going to be free to air (possibly even some games on terrestrial tv) I've read and heard

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:16 pm

Tricky Trevor wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:00 pm
Could work well for us as the refs won’t be so affected by noises off.
I bet you £20 now that if football is played behind closed doors next season you are still whinging about bias referees and blaming results on bad refereeing decisions going against us

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2461 times
Has Liked: 1991 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:18 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:16 pm
I bet you £20 now that if football is played behind closed doors next season you are still whinging about bias referees and blaming results on bad refereeing decisions going against us
There will always be poor decisions but these wouldn’t be crowd influenced.

clarethomer
Been Liked: 944 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by clarethomer » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:11 pm

I’m not missing football one bit at the moment but that probably because the weather is nice and I can enjoy the garden and spending more quality time as a family together.

Watching games streamed without a crowd would be like watching a friendly. You will be able to her all the bellowing of the managers from the sidelines etc.

It will be like some of the pre season friendlies with a professional production put around it. I’m not sure if I would like that or not?

I am all for streaming though in normal circumstances as I can watch away games and I pay for a ST, Sky and BT which I will allow me to cover home and televised games to watch on there.

It seems like there could be change to come and longer term that will be good but very ‘meh’ about the whole thing as it stands

dsr
Been Liked: 4573 times
Has Liked: 2263 times

Post by dsr » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:44 pm

Considering how excited I was about McNeil's winning goal this afternoon - then yes, I would subscribe.
This user liked this post: Spijed

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:29 am

It looks like theres a chance football could return subject to strict conditions. Behind closed doors obviously....according to news report.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

bobinho
Been Liked: 4094 times
Has Liked: 6570 times

Post by bobinho » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:24 am

I’m leaving my DD running. I don’t suppose for one minute the club will be relying on it but as I’m working still, I’m not being forced to consider halting it.

Maybe if Sky demand payments are returned if fixtures aren’t completed the club may well need help in getting through this period, so we’d be relying on the PFA doing the honourable thing and advising players to adjust their income to a more realistic level so that people involved with the club who are being put on the breadline could be helped.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6951 times
Has Liked: 1479 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:30 am

The issue with the 12 month direct debit is that we are in effect paying for 2-3 months without football in normal circumstances. If the club cancel the direct debits now and the summer break is reduced then there may be a situation where the club have to increase the monthly amount to make up for this.

I do agree that the club shouldn’t be taking any payments for next season though. They could delay direct debits and review monthly.

wembley94

Post by wembley94 » Fri May 01, 2020 12:44 pm

I think it will be 2021/22 season before fans get to attend again https://www.BBC.co.UK/sport/football/52493649

ClaretMov
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 822 times

Post by ClaretMov » Fri May 01, 2020 2:00 pm

wembley94 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 12:44 pm
I think it will be 2021/22 season before fans get to attend again https://www.BBC.co.UK/sport/football/52493649

I think you need to read it again

It talks about not being able to watch it in grounds until Possibly January 2021, that would be the 2020/21 season not the 2021/22 season, we are currently in the 2019/20 season. We aren't jumping 12 months into the future :lol: :lol:

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3087 times
Has Liked: 3808 times

Post by NewClaret » Fri May 01, 2020 3:19 pm

I’d 100% subscribe.

I’d also probably watch a lot of non-Burnley games, given I have the time.

I’m desperate for some real football again. I’d pay to watch the players train :lol: :lol:

Do concede that it’s looking increasingly unlikely now, much to my frustration.