Are we likely to start training again soon?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
TVC15
Been Liked: 3322 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Re: Are we likely to start training again soon?

Post by TVC15 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:58 pm

dsr wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:35 pm

If they don't play next season, then the players can't get paid, full stop.
Maybe you are right - maybe not...but there is certainly no “full stop” about it.
Players who do not get paid what their contract entitles them too (which is full pay whether they play or not) will no doubt through their agents / lawyers demand what is owed to them.
If the club do no have the money to pay this as you say because they have lost their TV income and they cannot sell players either because the world transfer market has collapsed then unless players drop their demand for wages owed (unlikely in my view) then the only real option is administration...and then the football creditors rule kicks in and players go to the top of the list of people paid first.
It will be different for every club of course in terms of their ability to survive and how deep their owners are prepared to dig in their pockets....or in the case of United the Glazers will just add it to their huge loan !

gawthorpe_view
Been Liked: 1357 times
Has Liked: 2939 times

Post by gawthorpe_view » Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:47 pm

. wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:51 pm
. always looks out for Gawthorpe_View when he walks past his house. He’s yet to see Gawthorpe_View our doing his garden or washing his car so hasn’t been able to formally introduce himself as yet.
Well I washed my car, and my son's this morning, and was gardening all day Sunday.

Danieljwaterhouse
Been Liked: 308 times
Has Liked: 350 times

Post by Danieljwaterhouse » Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:58 pm

They’ll certainly be two aspects in the players contracts for this situation and the fall out:

Critical incident clauses: of the club becomes insolvent because of a pre identified (which pandemic will be one) concern. Players will be able to void their contracts and move without penalty. Or the club will retain the option to do so under the same circumstance.

Insurance payouts to cover critical incidents

I’d expect players to cover their own income with insurance cover as well.

nyclaret
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 163 times

Post by nyclaret » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:33 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:36 pm
The issue is what happens when a player contracts the virus and spreads it to 5 or 6 team mates. How can a club continue to fulfil its fixtures with half of the first team unavailable?
Exactly. I don’t understand why people seem to think this is unlikely to happen. All it takes is one player to catch the virus and he might not display any symptoms.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:38 pm

nyclaret wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:33 pm
Exactly. I don’t understand why people seem to think this is unlikely to happen. All it takes is one player to catch the virus and he might not display any symptoms.
But how long are you willing to leave the situation if no end is in sight?

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2977 times
Has Liked: 2075 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:13 pm

tarkys_ears wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:58 pm
Said the person who's clearly never done a minutes exercise in his life.
Congratulations you obnoxious, small minded insecure keyboard warrior. You have once again
demonstrated to anyone who deems it necessary to read the diatribe that you seem intent on
producing on this forum from time to time, that you are one very rude and ignorant person.

You portray yourself as a vulnerable, troubled soul, lacking any maturity or social skills.

Even your user name is poking fun at someone else, which no doubt gives your very tiny ego a boost.

Enough said now, so run along and find someone of your own mental capacity to belittle.

EDIT:- Just for the record, not that it's any of your business, I was a very good local sportsman.
This user liked this post: tarkys_ears

nyclaret

Post by nyclaret » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:41 pm

Spijed wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:38 pm
But how long are you willing to leave the situation if no end is in sight?
I’m willing to wait as long as it takes. Life is more important than football.

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Post by Elizabeth » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:26 pm

I think it is likely we will start training soon if football gets the nod following a meeting of this country's medical sports people later this week.

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:44 pm

Elizabeth wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:26 pm
I think it is likely we will start training soon if football gets the nod following a meeting of this country's medical sports people later this week.
Do you think it will get the nod ?

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:04 pm

I've tried wherever possible to keep an open mind and I have read your clear thoughts on the subject.
I so desperately want football back on but if I thought it was not possible I would say so.
The government and the medical people will make the final decision and at the moment they are trying to support the football industry.
It will depend on the criteria being satisfied and if the nation continues going in the direction it is now I think football could well be with us in about 6 weeks.
I think this because in my mind I can envisage the players isolating from their families and friends and being regularly thoroughly tested for the virus.
I am no fan of the antics of footballers and the hygeine element would need to be sorted as well.

Jeremy_Bentham
Been Liked: 194 times
Has Liked: 78 times

Post by Jeremy_Bentham » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:17 pm

gawthorpe_view wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:47 pm
Well I washed my car, and my son's this morning, and was gardening all day Sunday.
. did not pass Gawthorpe_View’s house today or Sunday.

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:32 pm

Elizabeth wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:04 pm
I've tried wherever possible to keep an open mind and I have read your clear thoughts on the subject.
I so desperately want football back on but if I thought it was not possible I would say so.
The government and the medical people will make the final decision and at the moment they are trying to support the football industry.
It will depend on the criteria being satisfied and if the nation continues going in the direction it is now I think football could well be with us in about 6 weeks.
I think this because in my mind I can envisage the players isolating from their families and friends and being regularly thoroughly tested for the virus.
I am no fan of the antics of footballers and the hygeine element would need to be sorted as well.
A lot could rest on what the Germans and Merkel do about the increase in the virus after they relaxed things. If they stop the German football going head it could be curtains for football in Europe.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:39 pm

Yes I think everyone's eyes are on this

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3110 times
Has Liked: 3827 times

Post by NewClaret » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:35 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:36 pm
The issue is what happens when a player contracts the virus and spreads it to 5 or 6 team mates. How can a club continue to fulfil its fixtures with half of the first team unavailable?
Good point and one that I was going to address in my original post, but it made it a bit long-winded.

My solution would be:

All teams select an enlarged squad for the remaining games of the season, say 30. I would argue all PL clubs should be able to get 30 together, although clearly some will have more strength in depth than others.

They then agree, before the season restarts, what the limit is: I would say you need 16 players to make a game, so I would say 14 out through virus/injury is the limit. That gives a fair bit of room to manoeuvre. If this is exceeded they can chose to play with a reduced bench, draw on their youth teams to supplement the squad, or forfeit the game.

In the event a club forfeits a game, and given opportunities to reschedule are likely to be non-existent, a result is awarded based on statistical analysis of the likely outcome. We have some super-boffins in the country, which is why the bookies always win, so I’m sure it’s not beyond their capabilities to develop an algorithm for this scenario. All clubs would need to sign up to it before the season restarts. It’s not a perfect scenario, I agree, but it gives a better/fairer outcome than just ending the season now without even attempting to conclude it.

When a player tests positive the virus, they self-isolate for 14 days before returning to the squad.

Final point being that all clubs would have to risk assess anyone attending the ground on match days. Age, weight and underlying health conditions are clearly risk factors. Anyone high risk, or living with someone high risk, should be excluded. Sad for Roy and Bruce, but I’m sure they have second in commands that can attend the matches and relay their instructions.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:40 pm

paulatky wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:23 pm
And it would be for those games on Sky and BT that fans would gather in friends houses.

Without crowds is it really worth it, teams going through the motions just to qualify for the Sky money.
Wrong person to comment because I never watch football with mates. And I certainly wouldn’t start in lockdown.

I think there’s a lot to play for for a lot of clubs - Champs league, Europe (us), or relegation. A few games may be dead rubbers, but plenty would be worth a watch (particularly since we have nothing else to do).

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1699 times
Has Liked: 790 times

Post by warksclaret » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:15 pm

"Football is not a matter of life and death, its more serious than that!" ....Bill Shankly

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:04 pm

Even if the season restarts they'll be a significant knock-on effect which could last for years.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52480495

dsr
Been Liked: 4578 times
Has Liked: 2269 times

Post by dsr » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:14 pm

nyclaret wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:41 pm
I’m willing to wait as long as it takes. Life is more important than football.
There will never be a time when you can guarantee that no players will die. In the future, just as it is now, there will be a tiny risk/

Already 140 people under 40 years old have died of Coronavirus in this country. 140. Is the tiny chance of a footballer becoming number 141 worth the destruction of the game? Is the tiny chance of saving 1 life worth that much?

paulatky
Been Liked: 220 times
Has Liked: 772 times

Post by paulatky » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:23 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:04 pm
Even if the season restarts they'll be a significant knock-on effect which could last for years.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52480495
At last someone high up in the game talks sense and is realistic.

diamondpocket
Been Liked: 254 times
Has Liked: 215 times

Post by diamondpocket » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:46 pm

Also worth keeping an eye on the situation with Dybala from Juventus.
He has had 4 tests for Corona and has tested positive all 4 times, he is asymptomatic but apparently still has the virus, for over a month now.
With Italian teams hoping to resume training on the 18th May it'll be interesting to see if he still has traces of the virus and can go back training albeit feeling fine.

nyclaret

Post by nyclaret » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:35 am

There’s a voice recording doing the rounds on WhatsApp of Bristol Rovers manager Ben Garner. They’ve been told by the Chief Exec of the EFl that a return in June is very, very optimistic. Gary Neville doesn’t expect they’ll be playing anywhere near then. They need 66,000 tests to finish the season. Most likely outcome is the season will be decided on sporting merit - 3 promotions from every league, no relegations

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:42 am

nyclaret wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:35 am
There’s a voice recording doing the rounds on WhatsApp of Bristol Rovers manager Ben Garner. They’ve been told by the Chief Exec of the EFl that a return in June is very, very optimistic. Gary Neville doesn’t expect they’ll be playing anywhere near then. They need 66,000 tests to finish the season. Most likely outcome is the season will be decided on sporting merit - 3 promotions from every league, no relegations
Worst case scenario. Villa stay up, Leeds come up :(

Would also be shocking that Norwich stay up after such a poor season.

Do suspect a different approach may be taken for the EFL (which depends on match day revenue) vs. the PL.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:35 am

diamondpocket wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:46 pm
Also worth keeping an eye on the situation with Dybala from Juventus.
He has had 4 tests for Corona and has tested positive all 4 times, he is asymptomatic but apparently still has the virus, for over a month now.
With Italian teams hoping to resume training on the 18th May it'll be interesting to see if he still has traces of the virus and can go back training albeit feeling fine.
Yes I've seen that story as well.the doctor's don't think he'll still be contagious,but i guess they can't take any chances,he's been doing some personal training in the past couple of days,and he's not had any ill effects,but i guess until he returns 2 negatives tests he won't be able to participate in any group training sessions,and may not be considered for selection if Serie A restarts.