French leagues

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
fanzone
Been Liked: 228 times
Has Liked: 65 times

French leagues

Post by fanzone » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:35 pm

Finished and no chance of any contact sports before September

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Re: French leagues

Post by Spijed » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:37 pm

Just hope clubs start to kick up a legal fuss!

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:46 pm

That's great news,well done the French government and French football. It's the way to go.. Saves any messing about and keeps people away,which will save more lives. Football isn't everything unless you are Bill Shsnkly. Hope we go the same way.. Kick the season into touch.
These 3 users liked this post: Claret Till I Die paulatky Woodleyclaret

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:50 pm

conyoviejo wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:46 pm
That's great news,well done the French government and French football. It's the way to go.. Saves any messing about and keeps people away,which will save more lives. Football isn't everything unless you are Bill Shsnkly. Hope we go the same way.. Kick the season into touch.
Go on then, how many months/years will it be safe to re-start football if it currently isn't deemed safe?

Are you happy to go without sport for the next couple of years and see deaths from the likes of depression go through the roof?
This user liked this post: Stayingup

conyoviejo

Post by conyoviejo » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:54 pm

No,Spijed. I'm not happy to go without sport .. September is soon enough to start like the French have done.. Lives are more important than sport..

They haven't made a decision yet as to whether they will carry on with the season ,that will be made later.. Four months isn't long to wait anyway..
This user liked this post: paulatky

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:57 pm

conyoviejo wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:54 pm
No,Spijed. I'm not happy to go without sport .. September is soon enough to start like the French have done.. Lives are more important than sport..

They haven't made a decision yet as to whether they will carry on with the season ,that will be made later.. Four months isn't long to wait anyway..
How can September be any safer than it is now though when we know there will be no treatments or vaccines available? Players will be just as unprotected as they are now.

conyoviejo

Post by conyoviejo » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:01 pm

Don't you watch the daily updates on the TV.. .? There has to be 5 conditions met before they will even consider relaxing things.. That's another thing,if we return too soon and Covid returns with a passion what then? No football for a year maybe .. Let's get it on a big downward spiral first befor sport is resumed..
This user liked this post: Claret Till I Die

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:12 pm

conyoviejo wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:01 pm
Don't you watch the daily updates on the TV.. .? There has to be 5 conditions met before they will even consider relaxing things.. That's another thing,if we return too soon and Covid returns with a passion what then? No football for a year maybe .. Let's get it on a big downward spiral first befor sport is resumed..
And has also been mentioned on the news, if life doesn't return to some sort of normality we'll end seeing an economic downturn that will kill many, many thousands more people and that includes sport.

How do you explain to people that for the next year that they must exist in life, rather than have something enjoyable to look forward to?

How do you stop mental issues if many people have nothing enjoyable to see in life. What happens if their club goes bust? Then what?

There needs to be a balance and a year without sport has far too many dark side effects to contemplate.

moaninclaret
Been Liked: 170 times
Has Liked: 277 times

Post by moaninclaret » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:16 pm

As we all know the PL and the sport dedicated channels are all about money, they are losing money hand over fist at the moment and they want the season to recommence asap, i dont think they care about the lower league clubs as long as the money is rolling in, its a very dangerous thing to risk starting up so soon and the safety of players and all concerned in organising games will be at great risk, i love football and especially watching the Clarets and i cant wait to get back on The Turf, but to expose all concerned to this awful disease, even behind closed doors is lunacy. Football can wait but death waits for no one.

paulatky
Been Liked: 220 times
Has Liked: 772 times

Post by paulatky » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:22 pm

Spijed wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:12 pm
And has also been mentioned on the news, if life doesn't return to some sort of normality we'll end seeing an economic downturn that will kill many, many thousands more people and that includes sport.

How do you explain to people that for the next year that they must exist in life, rather than have something enjoyable to look forward to?

How do you stop mental issues if many people have nothing enjoyable to see in life. What happens if their club goes bust? Then what?

There needs to be a balance and a year without sport has far too many dark side effects to contemplate.
To many people football is not the be all and end all in life. And probably some who did before have now decided it maybe isnt after all.

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3964 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:30 pm

moaninclaret wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:16 pm
Football can wait but death waits for no one.
That's certainly true but also bear in mind that even if everyone stays totally safe and does nothing for 12 months, in an average year there will be in excess of 650,000 deaths in the UK. So that's 650,000 who will die whilst locked down, in many cases on their own and with virtually no one present at their funeral.
In reality though that 650,000 would be far higher during the lock-down, because people aren't being treated for other illnesses, many cancer treatments have stopped, there are no transplants and a lot people with symptoms of serious illness are not reporting this to the doctors.
Additionally - even at this very early stage of lock-down we've already had 14 women and 2 children killed by abusive partners / spouses, and no one knows yet how much the suicide rate has already risen and will continue to rise as this goes on. Alongside this, of course, we will see an increasing incidence of domestic abuse and violence, depression and a whole range of other mental health issues.
So whilst ideally we wouldn't want to risk lives by allowing some degree of normality (e.g. sport) to restart at this particular time, there will have to come a time when the damage to society and loss of life caused by the lock-down is measured against the potential further loss of life from the virus.
That's the unfortunate truth.
These 2 users liked this post: Spijed moaninclaret

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1664 times
Has Liked: 2974 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:37 pm

Spijed wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:57 pm
How can September be any safer than it is now though when we know there will be no treatments or vaccines available? Players will be just as unprotected as they are now.
I agree with Spijed here in that there doesn't seem much logic in saying June isn't OK but September will be. If the Premier League can organise "Project Restart" to play out the rest of the season in June/July I'm in favour. I assume players and staff would be tested and the games played behind closed doors and televised. Emotive talk of risk to life amongst very fit professional young athletes is contrary to the evidence and statistics and having some football to watch would be a big morale-booster, albeit in empty grounds. I do think, however, that the French decision today makes it feel significantly more likely that our season is going to be abandoned.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1486 times
Has Liked: 1847 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:54 pm

Spot on decision
But with Boris as PM and his bunch of incompetent advisors pulling him everywhere we are dithering about starting football soon.
We need to write off the season. Void the 2019 2020 season and start again if possible in Sept
This user liked this post: conyoviejo

ChorltonCharlie
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 75 times

Post by ChorltonCharlie » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:55 pm

Even after all this time we still have people not worried about certain groups because they're fit and healthy. It's not about that, anyone infected can pass it to someone else, there's the risk. Starting with the other 250 people who are at the ground to make sure that game can go ahead. There's still in the region of 400 games to be played in English Professional football, and that's a lot of games with high risk transmission. It's a contact sport where footballers can't social distance whilst playing. Go out for a run/walk at the moment and people walk into the road to avoid you (rightly so), but hey it's fine for footballers to grapple, and slide tackle, etc. It's ok though, that's a risk worth taking so we can Watford play Sheffield United in a deserted Molineux with nothing to play for.

What's interesting about the French situation is PSG are still in the Champions League. Curious to see where they play their home games and how they get match fit.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:56 pm

Woodleyclaret wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:54 pm
Void the 2019 2020 season and start again if possible in Sept
How on earth can we possibly start in September if we can't start now when there will be no more protection?

1) There will be no vaccination.
2) There will be no treatment.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3153 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:58 pm

ChorltonCharlie wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:55 pm

What's interesting about the French situation is PSG are still in the Champions League. Curious to see where they play their home games and how they get match fit.
Outside of France
https://twitter.com/tariqpanja/status/1 ... 3130017793

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1507 times
Has Liked: 580 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:07 pm

They’ve ended the season but not decided to void the league yet. Still to be decided.

ChorltonCharlie

Post by ChorltonCharlie » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:08 pm

Makes sense CP, but they'll need to find a country willing to host them (I assume with UEFA agreement) plus opposition for friendlies to keep and build match fitness.

ChorltonCharlie

Post by ChorltonCharlie » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:10 pm

Spijed wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:56 pm
How on earth can we possibly start in September if we can't start now when there will be no more protection?

You don't half simplify things Spijed. By September we'll know how other relaxation of social distancing has worked. I think the tracking app should be up and running by then and combined with testing this could mitigate a hell of a lot of risk. Lots of ifs, buts and maybes, but it's far too simple to say if we can't play now, then we can't play in September.
This user liked this post: ksrclaret

KateR
Been Liked: 1019 times
Has Liked: 6172 times

Post by KateR » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:13 pm

for me there are no right or wrong, just will be different ways for different countries and will wait to see what happens, there is a difference in who decides whether it get's shut down though, given that contractual obligations are also involved it will at the end of day come down to areas of Force Majeure. If for example the PL try to enact that then I would expect Sky to counter and try to force them legally to complete and have a longer season to complete, yet when a government enacts then that is an act of law and provides Sky with no basis and clubs will be protected. Therefore if it is a PL decision alone I am for the completing this season but if Gov. state no football until a certain time then I change my mind and say wrap up this season and start anew in whenever, however to be clear in all cases it has to be defined in a safe environment by the health community.

Golf will open up easier as will tennis but without spectators in a safe social distancing methodology and will allow fans to watch from home, football/rugby etc. as contact sports will be later as I believe we will go through a phased approach to sports opening up.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2540 times
Has Liked: 766 times

Post by ksrclaret » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:17 pm

I think I'm coming around to the idea of just scrapping the season now. We could be chasing after the current season for months yet.

We'll know a hell of a lot more come September, and several months of social distancing should have kept the rate of transmission relatively low and hopefully below 1. There will also be some herd immunity. That will mean we'll be in a much better place to contemplate allowing sports venues to open up again, with whatever precautions are deemed necessary.

paulatky

Post by paulatky » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:22 pm

No way will crowds be at PL matches in September, well not September 2020.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2540 times
Has Liked: 766 times

Post by ksrclaret » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:23 pm

paulatky wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:22 pm
No way will crowds be at PL matches in September, well not September 2020.
Thanks for your input, uptheclarets.

paulatky

Post by paulatky » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:27 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:30 pm
That's certainly true but also bear in mind that even if everyone stays totally safe and does nothing for 12 months, in an average year there will be in excess of 650,000 deaths in the UK. So that's 650,000 who will die whilst locked down, in many cases on their own and with virtually no one present at their funeral.
In reality though that 650,000 would be far higher during the lock-down, because people aren't being treated for other illnesses, many cancer treatments have stopped, there are no transplants and a lot people with symptoms of serious illness are not reporting this to the doctors.
Additionally - even at this very early stage of lock-down we've already had 14 women and 2 children killed by abusive partners / spouses, and no one knows yet how much the suicide rate has already risen and will continue to rise as this goes on. Alongside this, of course, we will see an increasing incidence of domestic abuse and violence, depression and a whole range of other mental health issues.
So whilst ideally we wouldn't want to risk lives by allowing some degree of normality (e.g. sport) to restart at this particular time, there will have to come a time when the damage to society and loss of life caused by the lock-down is measured against the potential further loss of life from the virus.
That's the unfortunate truth.
There is releasing lockdowns but maintaining social distancing but that is a million miles away from allowing large gatherings

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3153 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:33 pm

ChorltonCharlie wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:08 pm
Makes sense CP, but they'll need to find a country willing to host them (I assume with UEFA agreement) plus opposition for friendlies to keep and build match fitness.
There has been talk of UEFA hold the remaining fixtures in a tournament like set-up in one location - personally I cannot see it happening. I also cannot see a way forward for European club competition next season - all that travel and quarantine - they cannot even make it an end of season tournament because the Euros are supposed to be happening - though I cannot see how that can take place either (in it's current format) or for that matter the Olympics.

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:45 pm

paulatky wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:27 pm
There is releasing lockdowns but maintaining social distancing but that is a million miles away from allowing large gatherings
Correct. Has anyone proposed allowing large gatherings any time soon though?

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:55 pm

So for those who think ending this season is a good idea I suspect it'll be the end for many clubs, just like it will be in Germany:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... rmany.html

"For many, getting the green light from Merkel would mean no less than financial salvation. Reports from a German Football League meeting earlier this month suggested 13 of 36 league clubs will face insolvency if the 2019-20 season is not finished".

Rowls
Been Liked: 5096 times
Has Liked: 5159 times

Post by Rowls » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:03 pm

Swizzlestick wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:07 pm
They’ve ended the season but not decided to void the league yet. Still to be decided.
However, the government has ruled out behind closed door options.

Hope to Heaven that the UK doesn't rule out behind closed doors options. It would be stupid to cancel that perfectly good option.

claret2018
Been Liked: 810 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:12 pm

“They need to restart the Premier League otherwise people will kill themselves out of boredom” is possibly my favourite hot take from Covid

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1664 times
Has Liked: 2974 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:13 pm

ChorltonCharlie wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:55 pm
Even after all this time we still have people not worried about certain groups because they're fit and healthy. It's not about that, anyone infected can pass it to someone else, there's the risk. Starting with the other 250 people who are at the ground to make sure that game can go ahead. There's still in the region of 400 games to be played in English Professional football, and that's a lot of games with high risk transmission. It's a contact sport where footballers can't social distance whilst playing. Go out for a run/walk at the moment and people walk into the road to avoid you (rightly so), but hey it's fine for footballers to grapple, and slide tackle, etc. It's ok though, that's a risk worth taking so we can Watford play Sheffield United in a deserted Molineux with nothing to play for.

As I'm the "people" I think you refer to Charlie I should probably respond that I'd envisage a scenario where pre-testing is essential for everyone attending each game. What would be the problem with 22 people who don't have the virus playing each other ? If I'm missing something I apologise , I am envisaging the players and staff isolating as a Group over the 6 weeks or whatever it takes to play their remaining 9 games.
The major issue for us in not completing the season is the damage refunding £35M to Sky will cause us ..and of course other clubs too..this is what concerns me as a Burnley fan and a football fan.
I imagine the clubs at the top of the Championship will be a touch miffed and may be tempted to consult m'learned friend too given the money at stake for them.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:21 pm

Stalbansclaret wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:13 pm
As I'm the "people" I think you refer to Charlie I should probably respond that I'd envisage a scenario where pre-testing is essential for everyone attending each game. What would be the problem with 22 people who don't have the virus playing each other ? If I'm missing something I apologise , I am envisaging the players and staff isolating as a Group over the 6 weeks or whatever it takes to play their remaining 9 games.
The major issue for us in not completing the season is the damage refunding £35M to Sky will cause us ..and of course other clubs too..this is what concerns me as a Burnley fan and a football fan.
I imagine the clubs at the top of the Championship will be a touch miffed and may be tempted to consult m'learned friend too given the money at stake for them.
Belgium have had to take a step back from ending their season due to some clubs taking legal action.

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Post by Elizabeth » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:46 pm

Given the recent Health Secretary's statement differentiating between people wanting to play sports activity for leisure and those playing it professionally I believe the UK government will give the football industry every chance to complete the football season behind closed doors. Personally I hope the football industry's Restart Project is successful.
Big football playing nations like Spain, Italy, Germany and England could still potentially be finishing their seasons.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:46 pm

Spijed, my depression is worse in winter because of the football. Fortunately I do not suffer clinical depression
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46

Swizzlestick

Post by Swizzlestick » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:02 pm

Rowls wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:03 pm
However, the government has ruled out behind closed door options.

Hope to Heaven that the UK doesn't rule out behind closed doors options. It would be stupid to cancel that perfectly good option.
True, just that PSG could still be awarded the title, teams relegated/promoted etc. I'd be surprised but they've not officially voided the campaign totally yet.

I think the PL will do everything they can for a behind closed doors option.

HunterST_BFC
Been Liked: 1402 times
Has Liked: 2692 times

Post by HunterST_BFC » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:19 pm

Personally I can't see any sense in starting playing again until at least 6 weeks after the schools reopen whenever that will be.

It's clear to me that when kids go back in - infections across all ages will once again rise.

I'm also pretty sure that decisions will be made for economic reasons above those regards health. It's likely many things will restart quicker than they really should.

(and I don't wish the thread to go down a political route).

Many things are more important than football. Health being top of the list.

paulatky

Post by paulatky » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:39 pm

Cases of covid-19 on the rise again in Germany and they are looking at increasing lockdown numbers again,

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:40 pm

HunterST_BFC wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:19 pm
Personally I can't see any sense in starting playing again until at least 6 weeks after the schools reopen whenever that will be.

It's clear to me that when kids go back in - infections across all ages will once again rise.
But I thought that part of the plan was that the players and staff etc. would be isolated somewhere in the midlands during this period of behind closed door fixtures?, so whatever is happening in the "outside world", (children returning to school or whatever) wouldn't have any impact.
It would only be the risk of those involved carrying and transmitting the disease.

conyoviejo

Post by conyoviejo » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:48 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:40 pm
But I thought that part of the plan was that the players and staff etc. would be isolated somewhere in the midlands during this period of behind closed door fixtures?, so whatever is happening in the "outside world", (children returning to school or whatever) wouldn't have any impact.
It would only be the risk of those involved carrying and transmitting the disease.
I would have thought the decision to start wouldn't be just about football,but sport in general. There would be hell on if football was given the green light and other sports .e.g. Rugby league/yawnin ,golf tennis etc etc were unable to start as well.
This user liked this post: HunterST_BFC

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:57 pm

conyoviejo wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:48 pm
I would have thought the decision to start wouldn't be just about football,but sport in general. There would be hell on if football was given the green light and other sports .e.g. Rugby league/yawnin ,golf tennis etc etc were unable to start as well.
No I don't think so. Surely each sport will be treated on its merits. They will all have to do a risk assessment.
e.g. [Behind closed doors] Formula 1 (low to moderate risk), golf (if players keep apart) - low risk, Rugby (very high risk), cricket (less risk than Rugby but more than golf etc)
You might disagree with my classifications, but I think you can see how some behind closed doors events are more feasible / less dangerous than others.

conyoviejo

Post by conyoviejo » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:15 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:57 pm
No I don't think so. Surely each sport will be treated on its merits. They will all have to do a risk assessment.
e.g. [Behind closed doors] Formula 1 (low to moderate risk), golf (if players keep apart) - low risk, Rugby (very high risk), cricket (less risk than Rugby but more than golf etc)
You might disagree with my classifications, but I think you can see how some behind closed doors events are more feasible / less dangerous than others.
Football would be in a very High risk classification then,with such close contact .. Walls,close marking,hand to shirt contact..etc .

Targetman
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 46 times

Post by Targetman » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:34 pm

What if the government decide that its not safe to restart sport until next year, say January or February.

If this current season is declared null and void in a few weeks time wouldn't that then seem a bit premature if football doesn't start again until the new year.

If that was the case then the 2020/21 season wouldn't be able to take place particularly with the Euros starting in June 2021.

So rather than making any rash decisions now ie. declaring this season null and void, why not wait until we know exactly when it is safe to start playing again.

If it did come about that football cant start again as normal for another 6-8 months then that would give the opportunity for this current season to be finished. The 20/21 season could then be shelved.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:37 pm

conyoviejo wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:15 pm
Football would be in a very High risk classification then,with such close contact .. Walls,close marking,hand to shirt contact..etc .
Non-contact sports are more likely to get the green light a lot earlier than contact sports,so i wouldn't bank on football returning that soon,even behind closed doors,the big problem is not necessarily in the stadiums,it's the worry of fans congregating in the vicinity of the stadiums,and mingling in the streets for long periods.

Pstotto
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by Pstotto » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:41 pm

C**T Features comes out as a lesbian. I'm sure Liverpool fans would rather die in their masses than the season be void.

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:46 pm

conyoviejo wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:15 pm
As I said,- presumably there would have to be a detailed risk assessment. It would be nowhere as high risk as Rugby, but as you imply far more dangerous than a round of golf.
It would be up to the footballing authorities to put forward a plan and then for multiple agencies (including the police and NHS) to give feedback. At the end of the day it might prove impossible, but I certainly don't see why we couldn't have some less risky sports going head behind closed doors and being made available free to view on terrestrial TV.

conyoviejo

Post by conyoviejo » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:50 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:46 pm
As I said,- presumably there would have to be a detailed risk assessment. It would be nowhere as high risk as Rugby, but as you imply far more dangerous than a round of golf.
It would be up to the footballing authorities to put forward a plan and then for multiple agencies (including the police and NHS) to give feedback. At the end of the day it might prove impossible, but I certainly don't see why we couldn't have some less risky sports going head behind closed doors and being made available free to view on terrestrial TV.
Fair comment.👍

Pstotto
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by Pstotto » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:50 pm

WC players spend a month in quarantine before the tournament and are like that more or less for the whole tournament. Brentford's new ground has already got Corvid-19 measures in place by having empty seats that mimic a full crowd, like SC Biera Mar's stadium for Euro 2004 in Aviero.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3087 times
Has Liked: 3808 times

Post by NewClaret » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:04 am

Spijed wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:56 pm

Agreed.

Swizzlestick

Post by Swizzlestick » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:28 am

PSG have been confirmed as champions.

Still to be decided re teams in relegation places.

Firthy
Been Liked: 1613 times
Has Liked: 275 times

Post by Firthy » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:40 am

We will never know if France have made the right because there is no right or wrong decision. They have made their choice to cancel the season to save lives which has to be a priority but the prospect of teams going under and towns, supporters losing their clubs and many players being out of work can be just as serious in many ways.

It's not just about saving lives unfortunately. It's also about the economy and affect it will have on people when we eventually get to grips with Covid 19 and start returning to some form of normality. I respect Frances decision but can't say I agree or disagree with it because there is so much too consider and it's all a bit beyond me. One thing is for sure, Governments and sporting bodies will be damned if they do and damned if they don't. I'm just glad I don't have to make these decisions.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1922 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:43 am

Targetman wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:34 pm
What if the government decide that its not safe to restart sport until next year, say January or February.

If this current season is declared null and void in a few weeks time wouldn't that then seem a bit premature if football doesn't start again until the new year.

If that was the case then the 2020/21 season wouldn't be able to take place particularly with the Euros starting in June 2021.

So rather than making any rash decisions now ie. declaring this season null and void, why not wait until we know exactly when it is safe to start playing again.

If it did come about that football cant start again as normal for another 6-8 months then that would give the opportunity for this current season to be finished. The 20/21 season could then be shelved.
If we can’t get going until the new year my preference would be to continue the current season in say January and finish it by the end of March.

Eg
Jan - March 2019/20 (2021) completed

April - May Euro 2021

July - March New Season

June - November continued Jan - May New Season. Making room for the 2022 WC

Back to August - May the next season

Then back to normal