Will the aftermath of covid19 force us to sell McNeill, Tarks or Pope

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
s6t9a2f3f
Been Liked: 82 times

Will the aftermath of covid19 force us to sell McNeill, Tarks or Pope

Post by s6t9a2f3f » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:15 pm

With no super wealthy owner/s plugging the revenue gaps and IF the season is voided will the aftermath of the massive loss of tv money / revenue "force" our hand to sell at least 1 of our assets ? or looking at McNeill, Tarks or Popey was it likely to happen anyway ?

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Re: Will the aftermath of covid19 force us to sell McNeill, Tarks or Pope

Post by Zlatan » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:19 pm

do you ever look on the bright side of life?
This user liked this post: basil6345789

Darthlaw
Been Liked: 1182 times
Has Liked: 418 times

Post by Darthlaw » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:30 pm

Who are you thinking will be in a position to buy them?

Aside Man City, Liverpool, Man U and possibly Arsenal, owners may be more concerned about keeping their own clubs afloat rather than outlays for new players to keep other clubs going.

s6t9a2f3f
Been Liked: 82 times

Post by s6t9a2f3f » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:33 pm

think that might also may it tough for free agents like Hendricks to secure a lucrative "bosman" deal ?

Danieljwaterhouse
Been Liked: 308 times
Has Liked: 350 times

Post by Danieljwaterhouse » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:41 pm

I think Hendrick is in a great position. No transfer fee required and a cash crisis = big bucks

Longsidebogs
Been Liked: 60 times
Has Liked: 99 times

Post by Longsidebogs » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:42 pm

Who's Hendricks?

Darthlaw
Been Liked: 1182 times
Has Liked: 418 times

Post by Darthlaw » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:48 pm

Hendrick is probably in the worst position.

Scottish football has a clause in contracts which allow them to suspend scontracts if football is suspended i.e. no play - no pay. That'll make his proposed move to Celtic less appealing.

Who is likely to sign him given no one knows when football will start again? More to the point, if they are all scrambling for finances, who realistically will be in a position to sign him?

Lastly, he'll be worried that if BFC are forced to cost cut, he won't exactly be safe in the knowledge of a contract renewal from us.

Free agents like Hendrick might be in the worst position of all.

Burypaddy
Been Liked: 21 times

Post by Burypaddy » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:53 pm

Just about to post same darth dont think scottish football will be able to finance anybody's additional wages especially when celtic dont need anyone to win the league again so whats the point. Stupid if he doesnt snap burnley's offer on the table or are we to pull the offer to save money next season?

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2293 times
Has Liked: 2166 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:54 pm

Personally think Burnley would still offer Hendrick a contract

Burypaddy
Been Liked: 21 times

Post by Burypaddy » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:55 pm

Don't get me wrong hope they do because we won't be able to afford much.

beddie
Been Liked: 1406 times
Has Liked: 518 times

Post by beddie » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:53 pm

It may do. I think one of Hendricks concerns could be that Burnley might decide to withdraw any new contract offer, assuming he's been offered one.
This user liked this post: Woonderbah

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5553 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:55 pm

Depends what the free agent hoped to gain by running their contract down. If their motivation was a big signing on fee in lieu of a transfer fee, then they may be disappointed. Likelihood is that the potential wages on offer three months ago will have dropped too.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:36 pm

I don't think anyone is going to be throwing money around this summer, apart from maybe state owned clubs like City and PSG.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2460 times
Has Liked: 1990 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:20 pm

We could actually come out of this mess on the plus side, for once. Our starting position is much stronger than many clubs out there and our financial management may be looked on favourably if we do need the banks.
These 2 users liked this post: moaninclaret HunterST_BFC

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3155 times
Has Liked: 6742 times

Post by boatshed bill » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:27 pm

I don't think there will be much of a transfer market for some time to come, too many clubs losing big money.
This user liked this post: moaninclaret

moaninclaret
Been Liked: 170 times
Has Liked: 277 times

Post by moaninclaret » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:41 pm

All clubs will be in the same position and are all loosing money so i think the transfer market will be very quite, even Arsenal are willing to sell Aubamayang for a cut price of around £3o million so they dont have to give him away for a free,so its obvious that clubs will be tightening their purse strings for a season or two, of course if our top players want to leave and get the chance to play in champions league clubs then so be it, but SD wont let them go without a fight and to be honest i think our top players are happy where they are at least for another FULL season.

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Post by Elizabeth » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:53 pm

Which footballer, with their contract expiring in 2 months, would be feeling good in this current mess?
Hendrick may well feel he has lost control of the situation and be hoping the club, who have looked after him so well, will continue to do so.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:35 pm

Sanity might return to football,and the crazy money being thrown about might cease,at least for a couple of years.

Beeb article here,where BFC and Dwight get a mention https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52371373

Apologies if it's already been posted,but it has quite detailed analysis of how the transfer market might have to adapt,and players will also have to live in the real world,and not expect big wages or signing on fees.

The PR aspect is intriguing to me,club chairman most be aware that football finances will be under the microscope more than usual,once the economy tries to get on it's feet again,and if clubs are perceived to be splashing out unnecessarily,while many fans are struggling to make ends meet,and losing jobs,this will widen the gulf between the clubs and their supporters even further.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1485 times
Has Liked: 1846 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:54 pm

Perhaps its time to make a serious attempt to find new investors
We are needing a cash injection to consolidate our financial position
Releasing out of contact players Hart Lennon Brady and Bardsley will help the wage bill.
Resigning Jeff Hendrick to a new deal all these may help

Dy1geo
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 62 times

Post by Dy1geo » Fri May 01, 2020 12:09 am

Elizabeth wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:53 pm
Which footballer, with their contract expiring in 2 months, would be feeling good in this current mess?
Hendrick may well feel he has lost control of the situation and be hoping the club, who have looked after him so well, will continue to do so.
I want Hendrick to stay but what we offer him will be a big marker for the other players whose contracts are up in the next few years set it to high and all the others will want that level etc

The decisions what our Directors make this year will affect us for years to come.

dsr
Been Liked: 4571 times
Has Liked: 2263 times

Post by dsr » Fri May 01, 2020 12:24 am

Free agents will not be getting deals until football is all but certain to be played; and they won't get good deals until football clubs are confident that they have an unstoppable well of money coming in, or else they have "cap room" in that they have profits to spare on extra players. But in an era when many clubs will certainly be looking to cut costs, the people who they can pay nothing to are the first ones they will cut.

Hendrick might struggle to get a lower league contract as well. Those clubs have even less cash to splash, and they have huge commitments that will take all their income and more. They can't sign Premier players on the cheap even if they want to.

Out of contract players won't even have the usual option of training with their former club or another club they are friendly with. No club is going to take the risk of having surplus, non-contributory boies on the training ground.

If I was out of contract and had turned down an offer, I would be banging on the manager's virtual-zoom door pleading to be allowed to sign after all. Even if the offer is lower than it was. They're in a very tricky situation.

Woonderbah
Been Liked: 328 times
Has Liked: 370 times

Post by Woonderbah » Fri May 01, 2020 10:53 am

beddie wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:53 pm
It may do. I think one of Hendricks concerns could be that Burnley might decide to withdraw any new contract offer, assuming he's been offered one.

And with Brownhill chomping at the bit waiting for his moment, Burnley have a pretty strong hand I'd say.
Still hope Hendrick stays tho.
We're no longer a selling club but it must hurt when an asset walks away on a free.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Fri May 01, 2020 10:56 am

All three for a total of about £20 million in buyers market

Rojales Claret
Been Liked: 37 times
Has Liked: 12 times

Post by Rojales Claret » Fri May 01, 2020 11:04 am

Surely if the rumours of Hendrick to Celtic are true he would have already signed a pre-contract agreement which Celtic will have to honour.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Fri May 01, 2020 12:07 pm

Bashclaret wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 11:04 am
Surely if the rumours of Hendrick to Celtic are true he would have already signed a pre-contract agreement which Celtic will have to honour.
Not sure about that,I've found an article on Wiki,so i can't guarantee it's accuracy,but here's the important part.

Pre-contract

A pre-contract is an agreement by a player and an agreeing to take his registration at a later date, and became more well known after the Bosman ruling in 1995.A club may sign a pre-contract with a player while he is still with another club, by which the player agrees to move to the club at a future date, usually after his contract with his current club expires. Under the Bosman ruling, a player can sign a contract with a new club up to six months before his existing contract expires.

A pre-contract agreement may be broken by the player or the club, as was the case when Ross County midfielder Richard Brittain signed a pre-contract with St Johnstone. The agreement was made in January 2013,but Brittain changed his mind three months later,citing family reasons.Ross County registered the player as their own in June,and, after discussions with the Scottish FA,St Johnstone and Ross County came to an agreement to let Brittain stay at the club, with St Johnstone cancelling the pre-contract agreement if Ross County paid compensation.

So judging by that,then Jeff or Celtic could elect to pull out of the agreement,if it suited either party.

CFS
Been Liked: 231 times
Has Liked: 113 times

Post by CFS » Fri May 01, 2020 12:29 pm

Elizabeth wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:53 pm
The club did by offering him a contract he chose not to sign.

summitclaret
Been Liked: 833 times
Has Liked: 1324 times

Post by summitclaret » Fri May 01, 2020 2:57 pm

CFS wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 12:29 pm
The club did by offering him a contract he chose not to sign.
I have nothing against Hendrick and I hope he signs a new contract with us, but it will have to be on less than it would have been earlier.

Maybe there would be a basic wage, with add ons for when games can be played/future tv incomes.
In the end that will be a good thing because the power has shifted too far to players and their agents. I have never understood why clubs pay agents. Surely it's up to a player if they use one.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3087 times
Has Liked: 3808 times

Post by NewClaret » Fri May 01, 2020 3:13 pm

summitclaret wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 2:57 pm
I have nothing against Hendrick and I hope he signs a new contract with us, but it will have to be on less than it would have been earlier.

Maybe there would be a basic wage, with add ons for when games can be played/future tv incomes.
In the end that will be a good thing because the power has shifted too far to players and their agents. I have never understood why clubs pay agents. Surely it's up to a player if they use one.
I don't understand the thought process that out-of-contract players will be well placed. All teams will be looking to drastically cut their wage bills, so I would say it is not a good place to be out-of-contract at the moment.

Particularly when the larger clubs, who benefit from substantial matchday revenue, do not know whether a) this season will restart at all, meaning they have to refund cash, or b) when matches with fans will restart. I doubt any clubs will make a commitment to a player in those circumstances. There will be plenty of players/agents that thought they were being clever, now papping themselves.

Agree entirely with agents fees and I personally think FIFA should ban clubs paying agent fee's.