Today's Premier League Statement

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32369 times
Has Liked: 5267 times

Today's Premier League Statement

Post by ClaretTony » Fri May 01, 2020 4:21 pm

At a meeting of Premier League Shareholders today, clubs discussed possible steps towards planning to resume the 2019/20 season, when it is safe and appropriate to do so.

It was reiterated that the thoughts of all are with those directly affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. Furthermore, the Premier League’s priority is the health and safety of players, coaches, managers, club staff, supporters and the wider community.

The League and clubs are considering the first tentative moves forward and will only return to training and playing with Government guidance, under expert medical advice and after consultation with players and managers. The League welcomed the creation of the Government medical working group for a return of elite sport, which met for the first time this morning.

No decisions were taken at today’s Shareholders’ meeting and clubs exchanged views on the information provided regarding Project Restart. It was agreed that the PFA, LMA, players and managers are key to this process and will be further consulted.

The clubs reconfirmed their commitment to finishing the 2019/20 season, maintaining integrity of the competition and welcomed the Government’s support.

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Re: Today's Premier League Statement

Post by Elizabeth » Fri May 01, 2020 4:28 pm

The pace of the meeting and the respect shown to those outside the football industry, the public, government, medical experts is well received.

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2292 times
Has Liked: 2165 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Fri May 01, 2020 4:30 pm

Good stuff, you’d think, golf, tennis, darts, horse racing etc should be ok to go soon with strict rules and no spectators

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Fri May 01, 2020 4:33 pm

Burnley1989 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 4:30 pm
Good stuff, you’d think, golf, tennis, darts, horse racing etc should be ok to go soon with strict rules and no spectators
I can imagine the darts. "Stand up if you love the darts"... there's the cleaner in the Ally Pally shouting on his own while MVG fires in a 9-dart finish.

Burnley1989

Post by Burnley1989 » Fri May 01, 2020 4:37 pm

Suppose they’re unlikely to lose much fitness through lack of match fitness

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Fri May 01, 2020 4:42 pm

Burnley1989 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 4:37 pm
Suppose they’re unlikely to lose much fitness through lack of match fitness
One thing I've missed and that's the snooker world championships. It's been penciled in for the end of July / beginning of August, but without a crowd I'd prefer them to leave it until they can get a crowd - even if it means fewer fans being seated.

Burnley1989

Post by Burnley1989 » Fri May 01, 2020 4:50 pm

FactualFrank wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 4:42 pm
One thing I've missed and that's the snooker world championships. It's been penciled in for the end of July / beginning of August, but without a crowd I'd prefer them to leave it until they can get a crowd - even if it means fewer fans being seated.
Yeah, fair point, I’ll watch anything at the minute though

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Fri May 01, 2020 4:54 pm

Me too. I think I'd even give cricket a go!

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Fri May 01, 2020 5:10 pm

Burnley1989 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 4:30 pm
Some form of pro tennis starting in Germany from today,very controlled environment however,and looks like matches being streamed for an on-demand service.https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/52496009

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1485 times
Has Liked: 1846 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Fri May 01, 2020 5:11 pm

So still no decision
Following on from the French decision and the continued deaths from Covid 19,its now time to accept the inevitable and that the resumption of the Premier league 2019 -2020 is a non starter
Payment of Sky monies should be on a sliding scale with the media darlings who are never off our screens paying the most and the smaller teams like us paying far less
As most of the media darlings have wealthy foreign owners they could afford any fees

Burnley1989

Post by Burnley1989 » Fri May 01, 2020 5:14 pm

I’d imagine they will just negotiate a larger contract next year to make up for it

ecc
Been Liked: 1407 times
Has Liked: 1278 times

Post by ecc » Fri May 01, 2020 5:28 pm

Sorry, it must just be me, but I get the impression this statement doesn't actually state anything new apart from the "creation of the Government medical working group for a return of elite sport, which met for the first time this morning."

Perhaps its purpose was to "reassure" people that the season won't be voided.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Fri May 01, 2020 5:33 pm

I think it's playing politics which let's be honest is not a bad way to go about it if you want the season to continue and are at the mercy of politicians.
I'm hoping it pans out like the virus testing, very very slow, very slow, slow, a bit quicker... bam bam bam

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Fri May 01, 2020 6:04 pm

Nobody has mentioned if it ever starts it will be played in 10 neutral venues.What a waste of time. It's time to come out and cancel the season now instead of clinging on to false hopes to appease a few people who think football is the bee all and end all to life and the money grabbing twohats who are clutching at straws.

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1829 times
Has Liked: 2623 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Fri May 01, 2020 6:07 pm

conyoviejo wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 6:04 pm
Nobody has mentioned if it ever starts it will be played in 10 neutral venues.What a waste of time. It's time to come out and cancel the season now instead of clinging on to false hopes to appease a few people who think football is the bee all and end all to life and the money grabbing twohats who are clutching at straws.
Exactly, con, it is only a game and not a matter of life or death.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Fri May 01, 2020 6:09 pm

I'm glad you typed 'oh' there con

tybfc
Been Liked: 1304 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by tybfc » Fri May 01, 2020 6:52 pm

Not sure if this has been posted.

"Players are "scared" about the prospect of returning to action amid the coronavirus pandemic, says Manchester City striker Sergio Aguero.

The Premier League is hoping to resume the season on 8 June, which would require players to be be back in full training by 18 May.

Top-flight clubs will meet on Friday to discuss options for the restart.

"The majority of players are scared because they have children and families," said 31-year-old Aguero.

Speaking to Argentine TV station El Chiringuito, the Argentina international Aguero added: "I'm scared, but I'm with my girlfriend here and I'm not going to be in contact with other people. I'm locked in my house and the only person I could infect is my girlfriend.

"They're saying that there are people that have it and don't have any symptoms but still infect you. That's why I am here at home. Maybe I have the illness and I don't even know."

The Premier League has been suspended since 13 March because of coronavirus but all clubs remain committed to playing this season's 92 remaining fixtures.

All games are expected to be held behind closed doors and the league is considering making some available on free-to-air TV.

Senior medical directors of the FA and Premier League will join a video conference on Friday with medical experts from rugby union, cricket and racing, along with the Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden and deputy chief medical officer Jonathan Van-Tam to discuss the medical and safety aspects of a return to sporting action.

Aguero said he and his team-mates, will be "quite nervous and extra careful" when they return to work.

"When one person is ill we will think 'oh what's happening here?'" he added. "I hope a vaccine will be found soon so that this all ends."

If training is resumed before social distancing rules are relaxed, BBC Sport understands players will be tested for coronavirus twice a week and would be screened for symptoms every day.

All tests would be carried out by health professionals at a drive-through NHS testing facility that each club would have access to.

Training grounds will be optimised for social distancing and high hygiene levels. In addition:

Players must arrive at training grounds in kit and wear masks at all times.
They must not shower or eat on the premises. If clubs want to provide players with food, it must be delivered as a takeaway to players' cars.
Only essential medical treatment would be allowed, with all medical staff in full PPE.
All meetings and reviews must take place virtually and off-site.

Brighton striker Glenn Murray says some proposed protocols around the Premier League's return to action, such as wearing face masks, are "farcical".

"Face masks is going to be off-putting; it is not going to be natural. People will be ripping them off in games," the 36-year-old said. "It is quite farcical.

"I understand why people are desperate to get football on. It has to be done in a sensible way and in the right time and in a way that is going to keep everyone safe.

"There will be ambulances at training and games. Is it fair to take those from the NHS? I don’t know.

"It is not just two squads, there is a lot more involved and it puts more people at risk."

Arsenal, Brighton and West Ham have opened their training grounds to players for individual work.

"I understand the public is desperate to get football back," said Murray. "But it is us that are going to be going out there and competing against other teams.

"We are not talking about guys in one community. We are talking about guys from all over the world who could be possibly carrying the disease. There are so many caveats.

"Everyone is in different situations. I have children at home. I wouldn’t want to jeopardise them. Some footballers have newly born children who might be more susceptible to getting the disease.

"Some are living with elderly parents. It is a really difficult situation to agree on."

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2757 times
Has Liked: 4318 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Fri May 01, 2020 6:54 pm

Not wanting your club to potentially lose tens of millions of pounds doesnt mean you consider football to be the be all and end all to life

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Fri May 01, 2020 6:55 pm

Just been announced 40,000 virus tests will be needed for players and staff to complete the PL season.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Fri May 01, 2020 7:01 pm

Elizabeth wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 6:55 pm
Just been announced 40,000 virus tests will be needed for players and staff to complete the PL season.
If they are planning on completing the season in a month (two games per week to finish the nine remaining games) that's on average 1,333 tests per day.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3084 times
Has Liked: 3804 times

Post by NewClaret » Fri May 01, 2020 7:02 pm

tybfc wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 6:52 pm
Not sure if this has been posted.

"Players are "scared" about the prospect of returning to action amid the coronavirus pandemic, says Manchester City striker Sergio Aguero.

The Premier League is hoping to resume the season on 8 June, which would require players to be be back in full training by 18 May.

Top-flight clubs will meet on Friday to discuss options for the restart.

"The majority of players are scared because they have children and families," said 31-year-old Aguero.

Speaking to Argentine TV station El Chiringuito, the Argentina international Aguero added: "I'm scared, but I'm with my girlfriend here and I'm not going to be in contact with other people. I'm locked in my house and the only person I could infect is my girlfriend.

"They're saying that there are people that have it and don't have any symptoms but still infect you. That's why I am here at home. Maybe I have the illness and I don't even know."

The Premier League has been suspended since 13 March because of coronavirus but all clubs remain committed to playing this season's 92 remaining fixtures.

All games are expected to be held behind closed doors and the league is considering making some available on free-to-air TV.

Senior medical directors of the FA and Premier League will join a video conference on Friday with medical experts from rugby union, cricket and racing, along with the Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden and deputy chief medical officer Jonathan Van-Tam to discuss the medical and safety aspects of a return to sporting action.

Aguero said he and his team-mates, will be "quite nervous and extra careful" when they return to work.

"When one person is ill we will think 'oh what's happening here?'" he added. "I hope a vaccine will be found soon so that this all ends."

If training is resumed before social distancing rules are relaxed, BBC Sport understands players will be tested for coronavirus twice a week and would be screened for symptoms every day.

All tests would be carried out by health professionals at a drive-through NHS testing facility that each club would have access to.

Training grounds will be optimised for social distancing and high hygiene levels. In addition:

Players must arrive at training grounds in kit and wear masks at all times.
They must not shower or eat on the premises. If clubs want to provide players with food, it must be delivered as a takeaway to players' cars.
Only essential medical treatment would be allowed, with all medical staff in full PPE.
All meetings and reviews must take place virtually and off-site.

Brighton striker Glenn Murray says some proposed protocols around the Premier League's return to action, such as wearing face masks, are "farcical".

"Face masks is going to be off-putting; it is not going to be natural. People will be ripping them off in games," the 36-year-old said. "It is quite farcical.

"I understand why people are desperate to get football on. It has to be done in a sensible way and in the right time and in a way that is going to keep everyone safe.

"There will be ambulances at training and games. Is it fair to take those from the NHS? I don’t know.

"It is not just two squads, there is a lot more involved and it puts more people at risk."

Arsenal, Brighton and West Ham have opened their training grounds to players for individual work.

"I understand the public is desperate to get football back," said Murray. "But it is us that are going to be going out there and competing against other teams.

"We are not talking about guys in one community. We are talking about guys from all over the world who could be possibly carrying the disease. There are so many caveats.

"Everyone is in different situations. I have children at home. I wouldn’t want to jeopardise them. Some footballers have newly born children who might be more susceptible to getting the disease.

"Some are living with elderly parents. It is a really difficult situation to agree on."
Aguero doesn’t have to play then. Especially against us :D
This user liked this post: bfcmik

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Fri May 01, 2020 7:03 pm

Spijed wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 7:01 pm
If they are planning on completing the season in a month (two games per week to finish the nine remaining games) that's on average 1,333 tests per day.
Easy. Our fantastic government have plenty of capacity now!

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Fri May 01, 2020 9:20 pm

If shove comes to push decide "play" games like in the cups but go straight to a penalty shoot out and after 5 each the result will be a winner, loser or a draw. Social distancing maintained, no crowd, no need for medical staff, police, trainers. Just a ref, perhaps a second official, 7 players from each side in case someone s***s themselves and two managers. Ten pens taken alternatively none of this ABBA nonsense until five each.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Fri May 01, 2020 9:22 pm

I am surprised the trendy lefties are not doing one with all these private labs doing testing for the NHS. Privatisation by the backdoor
These 2 users liked this post: Paul Waine Ashingtonclaret46

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1812 times
Has Liked: 1792 times

Post by dougcollins » Fri May 01, 2020 10:10 pm

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the Premier League said that for every single test made on players and staff, they would pay for five in the community.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Fri May 01, 2020 10:16 pm

Just reported 3 Cologne players have tested positive for the virus and have now to stay in isolation for 14 days. None showed any symptoms.
Be interesting to see how this plays out and while knee jerk reactions won't help, this may develop into news the PL don't want to hear.
With all this news of players having to turn up in their kit and wear masks, along with neutral venues, could more people turn off the idea of continuing the season.
Could it develop into a void v premature end with the PL deciding the fate of certain clubs.
Getting messy?

Rowls
Been Liked: 5096 times
Has Liked: 5155 times

Post by Rowls » Fri May 01, 2020 10:22 pm

ecc wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 5:28 pm
Sorry, it must just be me, but I get the impression this statement doesn't actually state anything new apart from the "creation of the Government medical working group for a return of elite sport, which met for the first time this morning."

Perhaps its purpose was to "reassure" people that the season won't be voided.
That's very welcome from my point of view.

The season in France has been written off completely. That's the worst possible outcome for sporting integrity.

The British government working with sporting bodies to hopefully fulfill the season is waaaaay down on the list of priorities but it is very welcome nontheless - it would be an enormous boost to morale if we could only watch some sport.

If it can be done without any unnecessary risk to anybody's health it would be a massive lift for us all and I'm grateful that, unlike the French, they are at least trying to achieve this.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2349 times
Has Liked: 3177 times

Post by Paul Waine » Fri May 01, 2020 10:23 pm

Elizabeth wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 10:16 pm
Just reported 3 Cologne players have tested positive for the virus and have now to stay in isolation for 14 days. None showed any symptoms.
Be interesting to see how this plays out and while knee jerk reactions won't help, this may develop into news the PL don't want to hear.
With all this news of players having to turn up in their kit and wear masks, along with neutral venues, could more people turn off the idea of continuing the season.
Could it develop into a void v premature end with the PL deciding the fate of certain clubs.
Getting messy?
Had they all been to the same party? ;)

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Fri May 01, 2020 10:24 pm

Makes you wonder

Bangers&Mash
Been Liked: 123 times
Has Liked: 12 times

Post by Bangers&Mash » Fri May 01, 2020 10:26 pm

Why cant we just lose the 20-21 season?

Restart the 19-20 season in March next year.

If things improve quick enough let's have a few ad hoc cup competitions or local mini leagues. But let's be honest, there wont be any real normality for a while yet
This user liked this post: Guller Bull

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2349 times
Has Liked: 3177 times

Post by Paul Waine » Fri May 01, 2020 10:29 pm

Based on what's been in the press, I imagine the Premier League "no decision" today is result of Brighton, West Ham and Watford (and maybe some others) all saying season should be null and void. Also, I saw Gary Neville making similar statement. I've no idea if he was thinking that otherwise Liverpool might be champions.

Easy way to resolve it, have a vote and those clubs that vote for "null and void" are the one's who have to refund Sky/BT and the rest.

As for the players who don't want to play, they can always not take a wage for the remaining 9 games of the season.

MT03ALG
Been Liked: 429 times
Has Liked: 4553 times

Post by MT03ALG » Fri May 01, 2020 10:39 pm

As I have stated elsewhere: finish this season this year in the Autumn 2020.
Season 2020 - 2021 between January and November 2021 with a break for the Euros.
Season 2021 - 2022 between January and September 2022 followed by a break before the World Cup which starts in November 2022.
Logical plan which gives everyone a chance to sort themselves out without neutral venues, playing without fans, etc.
These 2 users liked this post: Guller Bull ralphdpomeroy

Guller Bull
Been Liked: 784 times
Has Liked: 1010 times

Post by Guller Bull » Fri May 01, 2020 10:45 pm

MT03ALG wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 10:39 pm
Season 2020 - 2021 between January and November 2021 with a break for the Euros.
Season 2021 - 2022 between January and September 2022 followed by a break before the World Cup which starts in November 2022.
Logical plan which gives everyone a chance to sort themselves out without neutral venues, playing without fans, etc.
That is way too logical. It can't be right - it's far too simple

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1485 times
Has Liked: 1846 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Sat May 02, 2020 6:34 am

Void the league now.
The danger of playing while we are in the grip of this virus is far too great to play any games even on neutral grounds

ralphdpomeroy
Been Liked: 26 times
Has Liked: 42 times

Post by ralphdpomeroy » Sat May 02, 2020 7:10 am

MT03ALG wrote:
This ... I've been saying this for weeks but it is too blindingly obvious for the powers that be to spot it.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sat May 02, 2020 7:43 am

MT03ALG wrote:
The ayes have it.

duncandisorderly
Been Liked: 970 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by duncandisorderly » Sat May 02, 2020 8:59 am

The issue there is players contracts coming to an end midseason.

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 858 times
Has Liked: 265 times

Post by scouseclaret » Sat May 02, 2020 9:26 am

MT03ALG wrote:
This plan has much going for it, but you need to address how we get back to a normal August-May season afterwards.

ralphdpomeroy
Been Liked: 26 times
Has Liked: 42 times

Post by ralphdpomeroy » Sat May 02, 2020 12:08 pm

duncandisorderly wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 8:59 am
The issue there is players contracts coming to an end midseason.
I'm sure that could be sorted to everyone's benefit in short all parties can either get their feet on planet earth like the rest of us or not as they see fit ? Nothing lasts for ever , it is way beyond the point where football in general needs to wake up to itself a bit sharpish ?

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sat May 02, 2020 12:14 pm

scouseclaret wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 9:26 am
This plan has much going for it, but you need to address how we get back to a normal August-May season afterwards.
One thing that infuriates me about PL football is the amount of international breaks. I’m not interested in International football but pointless friendlies particularly annoy me. Tbf, whilst I’d like to see the resumption of the Prem ASAP in controlled circumstances, then a restart on time next August/September, if they scrapped these pointless friendlies, winter break, perhaps some cup replays & added a few midweek games, I’m sure we’d catch up in no time.

4:20
Been Liked: 1065 times
Has Liked: 1184 times

Post by 4:20 » Sat May 02, 2020 12:26 pm

In-between the world cup and the traditional end of season, how about seed the 92 clubs and have an English, world cup format cup competition, the clubs that fail to qualify from their group stages go into their own cup etc and then end the season, have summer and get back to the traditional calendar.

Winstonswhite
Been Liked: 608 times
Has Liked: 310 times

Post by Winstonswhite » Sat May 02, 2020 12:47 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 12:14 pm
One thing that infuriates me about PL football is the amount of international breaks. I’m not interested in International football but pointless friendlies particularly annoy me. Tbf, whilst I’d like to see the resumption of the Prem ASAP in controlled circumstances, then a restart on time next August/September, if they scrapped these pointless friendlies, winter break, perhaps some cup replays & added a few midweek games, I’m sure we’d catch up in no time.
Come on now, keep up- there’s no pointless friendlies anymore. There’s the Euro Nations League!