Alex Elder on CP: One of the Remaining Heroes

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ecc
Been Liked: 1410 times
Has Liked: 1278 times

Alex Elder on CP: One of the Remaining Heroes

Post by ecc » Sat May 02, 2020 1:28 pm

Interview with one of our all time greats, Mr Alex Elder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvsQV2HdiPU

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2531 times

Re: Alex Elder on CP: One of the Remaining Heroes

Post by Silkyskills1 » Sat May 02, 2020 2:42 pm

Absolutely brilliant to see and listen to Alex. Top class full back who, if I'm not mistaken, was chosen for the World XI against England at Wembley in 1963. Also I saw what I think was his first goal for us in the third round of the FA Cup v QPR. He'd had a few.near misses charging forward in earlier games but put this one in the net. Without checking I think it might have been the season we reached Wembley.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32420 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sat May 02, 2020 3:27 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 2:42 pm
Absolutely brilliant to see and listen to Alex. Top class full back who, if I'm not mistaken, was chosen for the World XI against England at Wembley in 1963. Also I saw what I think was his first goal for us in the third round of the FA Cup v QPR. He'd had a few.near misses charging forward in earlier games but put this one in the net. Without checking I think it might have been the season we reached Wembley.
First goal was definitely in the cup against QPR in the Wembley season

Darnhill Claret
Been Liked: 507 times
Has Liked: 1038 times

Post by Darnhill Claret » Sat May 02, 2020 3:53 pm

Scored what I personally think is the greatest ever own goal in a home game at The Bee Hole End.

The Enclosure
Been Liked: 990 times
Has Liked: 3266 times

Post by The Enclosure » Sat May 02, 2020 3:56 pm

Alex and Rhona were my next door neighbours in Briercliffe until they moved over to Spain several years ago.
A really lovely couple.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2531 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Sat May 02, 2020 4:10 pm

Darnhill Claret wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 3:53 pm
Scored what I personally think is the greatest ever own goal in a home game at The Bee Hole End.
Against Leeds in the 'Battle of Turf Moor' as I recall. Incredible, as you say, that he seemed to manage to chip the ball from the corner of the penalty box.and over Adam's head down at the Beehole End. Last game of the season and the day I attended two games in one day. Got back to Haslingden after the match, met a mate who supported Man Utd. and went to see them win at Blackburn on the Saturday evening and get relegated. Still never found out why that game was played in the evening.

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1904 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Vino blanco » Sat May 02, 2020 4:19 pm

Lovely interview with Alex, brought a tear to my eye.

the_magic_rat
Been Liked: 76 times
Has Liked: 273 times

Post by the_magic_rat » Sat May 02, 2020 5:41 pm

What a lovely interview. The own goal against Leeds is one of my earliest memories of watching the Clarets. I can still picture it now. It was a beautiful sunny day and he chipped Adam Blacklaw from down near the corner flag at the Brunshaw Road side of the Bee Hole End. I was with my mum and dad at the corner of the Bee Hole End, probably perched on a barrier.

I may be imagining this but didn't we play Leeds again early in the following season ? We drew 1-1 and i have a vague recollection that Alex might have missed a penalty.

As already mentioned above. One of our all-time greats.

ecc
Been Liked: 1410 times
Has Liked: 1278 times

Post by ecc » Sat May 02, 2020 6:44 pm

I must admit I didn't realise how young Mr Elder was when he became a regular.

ClaretCliff
Been Liked: 187 times
Has Liked: 135 times

Post by ClaretCliff » Sat May 02, 2020 6:48 pm

the_magic_rat wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 5:41 pm
What a lovely interview. The own goal against Leeds is one of my earliest memories of watching the Clarets. I can still picture it now. It was a beautiful sunny day and he chipped Adam Blacklaw from down near the corner flag at the Brunshaw Road side of the Bee Hole End. I was with my mum and dad at the corner of the Bee Hole End, probably perched on a barrier.

I may be imagining this but didn't we play Leeds again early in the following season ? We drew 1-1 and i have a vague recollection that Alex might have missed a penalty.

You are right about the penalty miss. I think it was the first game of the next season, certainly the first home game. He sent the keeper the wrong way but unfortunately it went just the wrong side of the post.

I also think the own goal cost us the runners up spot in the league.

ClaretCliff

Post by ClaretCliff » Sat May 02, 2020 6:49 pm

the_magic_rat wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 5:41 pm

You are right about the penalty miss. I think it was the first game of the next season, certainly the first home game. He sent the keeper the wrong way but unfortunately it went just the wrong side of the post.

ClaretCliff

Post by ClaretCliff » Sat May 02, 2020 6:49 pm

Oops! Don't know what happened there.

ashtonlongsider
Been Liked: 494 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ashtonlongsider » Sat May 02, 2020 8:27 pm

My first boyhood hero and what a player. Up there with the very best. Interesting to hear him say he regretted leaving Burnley. I know when he did it was a very sad day in our household.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat May 02, 2020 8:36 pm

ClaretCliff wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 6:48 pm

The penalty miss against Leeds was in the 5th game of the season and the 3rd at home

See link: https://www.uptheclarets.com/fixtures-r ... 67-results

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat May 02, 2020 8:38 pm

Met Alex a few times over the years, lovely man but I believe another who got on the wrong side of Adamson in the end.

One of three magnificent full backs we had along with Angus, in that title winning team, and then Newton in the 1970s.
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46

chipbutty
Been Liked: 136 times
Has Liked: 132 times

Post by chipbutty » Sun May 03, 2020 12:35 am

Used to speak with Alex a lot when I worked as a chef at Nelson House, what a nice, humble guy. I used to call him Legend whenever he came in the kitchen.
Once did a Sportsman`s Dinner with him that included Gordon Banks, Alex stopped me backstage and said "Gordon, meet Justin" I introduced myself and Gordon said "I hope the foods better than Mexico!"

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1487 times
Has Liked: 1847 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Sun May 03, 2020 6:55 am

Alex beat tthe legendary Gordon Banks as he surged forward unleashing an unstoppable strike.
A top player and its taken a long time ro get in a decent left bag.Charlie Taylor is showing signs of being up there but hes a work in progress