What's happening with the EFL re-starting?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

What's happening with the EFL re-starting?

Post by Spijed » Sat May 02, 2020 3:50 pm

There's plenty of news regarding the Prem but what are the plans with regards to the Championship and Leagues 1 & 2?

Such as neutral venues, testing etc?

bfcmik
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 1102 times

Re: What's happening with the EFL re-starting?

Post by bfcmik » Sat May 02, 2020 4:03 pm

Given the cost of testing squads every day I suspect that Leagues 1&2 will follow the Conference into ending their season as it now stands. Championship is a harder 1 to call. There is so much at stake and the other teams at the top will not want to just hand the golden goose to West Brom and Leeds

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sat May 02, 2020 4:04 pm

Spijed wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 3:50 pm
There's plenty of news regarding the Prem but what are the plans with regards to the Championship and Leagues 1 & 2?

Such as neutral venues, testing etc?
Couldn't find much apart from this on Sky Sports,seems to be a similar approach regarding neutral venues,but again the issue on fans gathering is a worry for the police.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... ice-chief

dsr
Been Liked: 4578 times
Has Liked: 2269 times

Post by dsr » Sat May 02, 2020 4:31 pm

People have got used to lockdown, they know that they aren't allowed to gather outsdie grounds, they know that if they get arrested for refusing to move on they will get a life ban, and they know that even the first two or three people to turn up will be moved on, and they know that if in spite of all that they still turn up, football will be stopped. There aren't enough stupid people left after that for crowds to form outside closed football grounds. But if it does, then obviously they stop the season.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sat May 02, 2020 5:27 pm

dsr wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 4:31 pm
People have got used to lockdown, they know that they aren't allowed to gather outsdie grounds, they know that if they get arrested for refusing to move on they will get a life ban, and they know that even the first two or three people to turn up will be moved on, and they know that if in spite of all that they still turn up, football will be stopped. There aren't enough stupid people left after that for crowds to form outside closed football grounds. But if it does, then obviously they stop the season.
That all makes perfect sense to me,and if people choose to mass outside the grounds,and the season is cancelled they'll be the ones to blame,in this day and age with all the various media outlets available,why folks would even feel the need to go to grounds,when they know perfectly well they have no reason to baffles me,the other aspect is if licensed premises are allowed to open by then,i strongly doubt it,but the trade is putting pressure on the government to get the green light,then of course crowded bars/pubs will present a danger.

It ultimately depends how much fans want to see footy action return,even if that's only on TV screens/internet feeds,it's preferable to nothing,at least for the PL/Championship clubs if it guarantees their TV money for the immediate future,how clubs below the top 2 divisions could manage without matchdays generating income,is an entirely different :?: how many would be in a position to set up some form of PPV/subscription service,like Clarets Player i have no idea,but in the circumstances all avenues should be explored.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun May 03, 2020 12:01 am

For me the obvious thing is.

Stop the season now. Restart in March 2021 from where we left off.

More important things than rushing back and starting next season as messed up as this one ended.

A year off won’t kill anyone. Rushing back too soon will.
These 2 users liked this post: Zlatan Foulthrow

TVC15
Been Liked: 3322 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Sun May 03, 2020 12:12 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 12:01 am
For me the obvious thing is.

Stop the season now. Restart in March 2021 from where we left off.

More important things than rushing back and starting next season as messed up as this one ended.

A year off won’t kill anyone. Rushing back too soon will.
How would that work in terms of clubs covering players wages with no TV money ?
It would mean all players deferring their wages for a full year. Very few have deferred them for a couple of months.

I don’t know what the solution is but it’s far from obvious.

wembley94
Been Liked: 24 times
Has Liked: 24 times

Post by wembley94 » Sun May 03, 2020 12:45 am

Some people want football to stop. and wait for a vaccine to be found.which could be years away

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun May 03, 2020 11:39 am

TVC15 wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 12:12 am
How would that work in terms of clubs covering players wages with no TV money ?
It would mean all players deferring their wages for a full year. Very few have deferred them for a couple of months.

I don’t know what the solution is but it’s far from obvious.
I don’t know. But things are more important than a load of millionaires having to defer their salaries and clubs to budget accordingly.

Perhaps it will mean clubs start to live within their means. And if players on 100k a week suddenly can’t go 12 months with the same income they’ve got big problems.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun May 03, 2020 11:40 am

wembley94 wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 12:45 am
Some people want football to stop. and wait for a vaccine to be found.which could be years away
I wouldn’t want that. At some stage vaccine or not normality must resume. But right now isn’t the time to rush back or make rash decisions based on football.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5210 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun May 03, 2020 11:46 am

wembley94 wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 12:45 am
Who are these people? There are always the extreme opinions in any discussion but take this board for example whilst I have seen a lot of different opinions and ideas I cant remember seeing anyone suggesting to wait for a vaccine

The nearest ive seen is a straw man argument that if you take the view to void this season then you must also take the view that football can only start again once we have a vaccine which is rubbish

TVC15
Been Liked: 3322 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Sun May 03, 2020 11:50 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 11:39 am
I don’t know. But things are more important than a load of millionaires having to defer their salaries and clubs to budget accordingly.

Perhaps it will mean clubs start to live within their means. And if players on 100k a week suddenly can’t go 12 months with the same income they’ve got big problems.
Completely agree but the real problem is if the players don’t agree. They can’t be forced to legally under the terms of their contract so if we do end up going down this road then hopefully their are enough players prepared to do this and start shaming the others into also agreeing to defer their wages.
The players out of contract or coming out of contract in the next 12 months is another complication.