Computer help needed

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3079 times
Has Liked: 5044 times

Computer help needed

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun May 03, 2020 10:16 am

I posted the other day that I couldn't log on to Claret Player, the tech guys on the site suggested I dowloaded another server.
Despite not explaining why Safari stopped working, I downloaded Chrome, and it worked, access regained.

Now I have a problem with Chrome often going 'unresponsive'. Considering I've only had it on my computer for 5 days it can't have picked up any bugs yet.
Anyone understand why this is happening, or what I can do to fix it. All the on line tutorials are how to fix Chrome on Windows, I'm on an Apple Mac.

Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Re: Computer help needed

Post by FactualFrank » Sun May 03, 2020 10:21 am

If by unresponsive you mean the player actually says, "Not Responding" at the top of player, it can mean lack of RAM, or you have a lot of processing going on elsewhere on your computer, so the application freezes/hangs.

Does it eventually start working again if you leave the computer alone?

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Sun May 03, 2020 10:29 am

I have a problem too. My Mac wont close down properly when I close it down. Screen goes blank and the cursor moves to the top left of the screen. It seems to have developed after an update which didn't complete and I have no idea how to remove the update to see if that solves the problem

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun May 03, 2020 10:29 am

You just need to believe a bit more and not be so negative. Engage that good old British blitz spirit and you'll have it working again in no time :D
These 2 users liked this post: Duffer_ longsidepies

Danieljwaterhouse
Been Liked: 308 times
Has Liked: 350 times

Post by Danieljwaterhouse » Sun May 03, 2020 10:31 am

FactualFrank wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 10:21 am
If by unresponsive you mean the player actually says, "Not Responding" at the top of player, it can mean lack of RAM, or you have a lot of processing going on elsewhere on your computer, so the application freezes/hangs.

I’d agree, so many laptops are coming without adequate hard drives or enough RAM. Makes them wafer thin, but absolute garbage

Colburn_Claret

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun May 03, 2020 10:37 am

FactualFrank wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 10:21 am

I doubt it would be a lack of Ram, the wife bought it for me, and it cost a fortune. It does eventually start working again, or it did the other day, so it could be doing a lot of processing in the back ground. I also tend to have a lot of things open at the same time.
I also have the habit of leaving the computer dormant, rather than turning it off completely, would this have a knock on affect?

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sun May 03, 2020 10:50 am

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 10:37 am
I doubt it would be a lack of Ram, the wife bought it for me, and it cost a fortune. It does eventually start working again, or it did the other day, so it could be doing a lot of processing in the back ground. I also tend to have a lot of things open at the same time.
I also have the habit of leaving the computer dormant, rather than turning it off completely, would this have a knock on affect?
A lot of things open at the same time can also be down to RAM. Open up Task Manager, and look at the processes / performance tab(s) - it will tell you how much RAM and what % of the CPU is being used.

Look at that when the player stops responding and see if either is being maxed out.
These 2 users liked this post: Tricky Trevor Colburn_Claret

Colburn_Claret

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun May 03, 2020 11:39 am

FactualFrank wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 10:50 am
A lot of things open at the same time can also be down to RAM. Open up Task Manager, and look at the processes / performance tab(s) - it will tell you how much RAM and what % of the CPU is being used.

Look at that when the player stops responding and see if either is being maxed out.
Cheers Frank, I haven't tried it yet, but if it goes down again I will.
After the last post I turned the computer off completely. Everything was working again when I relaunched it.