Out of contract players and an extended season

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
jojomk1
Been Liked: 850 times
Has Liked: 581 times

Out of contract players and an extended season

Post by jojomk1 » Sun May 03, 2020 3:39 pm

Not sure if this has been discussed before - here or in public journals
Jeff Hendrick is just one example at BFC plus many other teams with similar scenarios
So his contract officially expires in the early days of June at which point he could, under normal circumstances, move elsewhere for free
Have not seen anything official as to how this situation is resolved (throughout football) especially when we know the season is more than likely to be extended in date time beyond the limit of all current contracts.
Contracts are based on dates/length of time and not number of games played, so it would be interesting to see how a court of law would stand on this matter
I would have thought that, from his own point of view, he would maybe want a move immediately if he is not going to stay beyond this season.
As a "free" he can not only negotiate his new wages/length of contract but also receive a substantial signing on fee which, for him as an example, would be well into six figures
If the season were to be extended would he want to carry on playing for BFC when there is always a danger of any player getting a serious injury which could put off potential new clubs signing him or even be career threatening/ending (all without the security of a new contract already in place)
The other interesting question would be, that if a court of law ruled players can sign for other clubs after their contracts end in June, there is a potential scenario that Jeff (as an example) could move to another Premier League club and play against us before this season ends
Has anyone seen any other comments on such a contractual situation

beddie
Been Liked: 1408 times
Has Liked: 519 times

Re: Out of contract players and an extended season

Post by beddie » Sun May 03, 2020 3:50 pm

If Jeff has already agreed a deal with another club, perhaps due to the current situation that club may decide not to proceed and withdraw it. Assuming we've offered Jeff another deal he may now decide he'll take it otherwise we could end up withdrawing our offer. It's tricky at the moment for all concerned.

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Post by Elizabeth » Sun May 03, 2020 3:53 pm

Without knowing anything about contract law my instincts tell me it's going to be trickier for the player than the club.

dsr
Been Liked: 4577 times
Has Liked: 2268 times

Post by dsr » Sun May 03, 2020 3:56 pm

For one thing, you've forgotten the transfer window, It won't open until after this season is over.

For another, I doubt that anyone will be offering six-figure signing on fees when some clubs, at least, are making noises that they won't start playing until coronavirus has vanished off the face of the earth. (Though of course that might change if they think they won't be relegated.)

BurnleyPaul
Been Liked: 158 times
Has Liked: 45 times

Post by BurnleyPaul » Sun May 03, 2020 4:37 pm

Quite honestly I suspect that until this season is finished then the transfer window won’t be opened. That way they’ll be able to maintain the sporting integrity just a little bit more and prevent players coming up against clubs for a third time in the league...

That power is within FIFA/UEFA’s hands and I can see it being used.

jojomk1

Post by jojomk1 » Sun May 03, 2020 4:39 pm

dsr wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 3:56 pm
For one thing, you've forgotten the transfer window, It won't open until after this season is over.

But my point is that if a player (any player) is officially out of contract in June then the question would be, are they be able to move elsewhere even if the season has not finished ?

Some clubs may not want to offer new deals to existing players - are they left in limbo (without wages) waiting for a transfer window to open (whenever that may be)

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3157 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Sun May 03, 2020 4:43 pm

jojomk1 wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 3:39 pm
Not sure if this has been discussed before - here or in public journals
Jeff Hendrick is just one example at BFC plus many other teams with similar scenarios
So his contract officially expires in the early days of June at which point he could, under normal circumstances, move elsewhere for free
Have not seen anything official as to how this situation is resolved (throughout football) especially when we know the season is more than likely to be extended in date time beyond the limit of all current contracts.
Contracts are based on dates/length of time and not number of games played, so it would be interesting to see how a court of law would stand on this matter
I would have thought that, from his own point of view, he would maybe want a move immediately if he is not going to stay beyond this season.
As a "free" he can not only negotiate his new wages/length of contract but also receive a substantial signing on fee which, for him as an example, would be well into six figures
If the season were to be extended would he want to carry on playing for BFC when there is always a danger of any player getting a serious injury which could put off potential new clubs signing him or even be career threatening/ending (all without the security of a new contract already in place)
The other interesting question would be, that if a court of law ruled players can sign for other clubs after their contracts end in June, there is a potential scenario that Jeff (as an example) could move to another Premier League club and play against us before this season ends
Has anyone seen any other comments on such a contractual situation
It has been discussed on a few threads and there have been a number of legal advisory articles posted on the MMT thread over the last 6/7 weeks including around the framework published by FIFA

essentially should a player choose not to extend for the rest of the season, he is allowed by law to make that choice. the issue of signing for another club would fall as - can sign, but cannot play in the current season because the 2 transfer windows that allow that have passed. Still allows a rival to effectively weaken the rest of your season though (if it goes on beyond June 30th) by taking what was a squad member away from you

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Sun May 03, 2020 4:47 pm

Someone like Joe Hart? Burnley would be releasing him

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Sun May 03, 2020 5:12 pm

Players could refuse to play once their contract runs out.
They might not want to jeopardise their new wages/signing on fee by possibly getting injured in the last few games for the team they're leaving.

Presume theyd be well within their rights to say I'll sit out thank you.

Doubt many if any would risk their next big juicy windfall if it could be avoided

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3863 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sun May 03, 2020 5:19 pm

Burnley should release all that aren't re-signing.

They can't play for anyone else and a new season might not start for 12 months?

Not a good time to be out of contract.
This user liked this post: Elizabeth

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Sun May 03, 2020 5:31 pm

Jeff's agent might be waking up in the middle of the night sweating. I hope so

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sun May 03, 2020 5:42 pm

If Jeff wants to take his chances in the current climate,good luck to him,i'd like him to stay,but it's not the end of the world if he doesn't,we might as well give Brownhill some game time,after all surely we signed him to replace Hendrick.

The only other ooc player i'd consider offering a new deal to is Bardsley,but it'd be on reduced terms,if he and his agent fancy their odds of a better deal elsewhere,so be it,but it's a gamble in the current market.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1698 times
Has Liked: 790 times

Post by warksclaret » Sun May 03, 2020 6:16 pm

I doubt in this climate, that a PL side would be wanting to sign Bardsley, and I think he quite enjoys playing for us

jojomk1

Post by jojomk1 » Sun May 03, 2020 6:45 pm

Elizabeth wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 4:47 pm
Someone like Joe Hart? Burnley would be releasing him
Based on what Chester Perry is saying, Hart cannot sign for another club until the next window opens unless the rule does not cover leagues like MLS although they start a lot later

Same would apply to Adam Legzdins - So he can't sign for anyone else and so no wages after June till who knows when

Joe may have a bit in his piggy bank to get by but not so Adam

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Sun May 03, 2020 7:05 pm

Yes, a very complicated situation and I'm confident that the powers that be will do their best to protect players released by clubs but there are going to be winners and losers as usual.
In any season it is difficult for released players finding other clubs. What I think is different this time is that players, directed by agents, who in the past have milked the system, and I'm not saying Jeff has definitely been doing this, would appear to no longer be holding the aces.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3157 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Sun May 03, 2020 8:58 pm

jojomk1 wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 6:45 pm
Based on what Chester Perry is saying, Hart cannot sign for another club until the next window opens unless the rule does not cover leagues like MLS although they start a lot later

Same would apply to Adam Legzdins - So he can't sign for anyone else and so no wages after June till who knows when

Not quite - can sign, as a free agent, just not play in this season

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32528 times
Has Liked: 5276 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sun May 03, 2020 9:03 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 5:42 pm
If Jeff wants to take his chances in the current climate,good luck to him,i'd like him to stay,but it's not the end of the world if he doesn't,we might as well give Brownhill some game time,after all surely we signed him to replace Hendrick.
No - we signed Brownhill to replace Drinkwater who we signed to replace Defour

Danieljwaterhouse
Been Liked: 308 times
Has Liked: 350 times

Post by Danieljwaterhouse » Sun May 03, 2020 9:22 pm

jojomk1 wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 6:45 pm

Pretty sure Adam is here to work under Billy.