HSBC Letter Scam

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2819 times
Has Liked: 503 times

HSBC Letter Scam

Post by ClaretAndJew » Mon May 04, 2020 3:45 pm

Just a heads up:

I received a very convincing letter today supposedly from HSBC suggesting I may be owed a payment. The instructions are to go to a website and confirm details. Including suggesting we can do it online due to the impact of Covid-19.

Googled the phone number on the letter and it's not genuine.

The letter is fully headed with their logo and the font they use in the letter is the same as a genuine HSBC letter.

One thing they haven't put on is my first name, only my first and middle initial including my surname.

Be on the lookout guys.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 921 times
Has Liked: 2756 times

Re: HSBC Letter Scam

Post by Stayingup » Mon May 04, 2020 6:36 pm

ClaretAndJew wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 3:45 pm
Just a heads up:

I received a very convincing letter today supposedly from HSBC suggesting I may be owed a payment. The instructions are to go to a website and confirm details. Including suggesting we can do it online due to the impact of Covid-19.

Googled the phone number on the letter and it's not genuine.

The letter is fully headed with their logo and the font they use in the letter is the same as a genuine HSBC letter.

One thing they haven't put on is my first name, only my first and middle initial including my surname.

Be on the lookout guys.
My computer guy did some work on my machine today and updated Malware and Crap Clesner etc. He told me there are many scams around right now. We all have to sensible and vigilant. Its tempting to say these scammer if caught should have their fingers chopped off.

ColneMonkey
Been Liked: 10 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by ColneMonkey » Mon May 04, 2020 6:56 pm

Now, I wouldn't recommend this but...

I once had an email which was blatantly a phishing attempt. Reckoned to be from Halifax who I didnt have any accounts with, full of spelling and grammatical errors etc... The link provided went to some foreign site with a poorly, half-arsed attempt at looking like a login page for a bank.

I promptly spent a good half an hour populating the username and password box with all manor very useful passwords. YourAPieceOfS#$t, £uckOffLooser etc...

Totally childish but hopefully wasted their time for a few minutes after they though they'd got someone's details!

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Mon May 04, 2020 7:23 pm

ColneMonkey wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 6:56 pm
Now, I wouldn't recommend this but...

I once had an email which was blatantly a phishing attempt. Reckoned to be from Halifax who I didnt have any accounts with, full of spelling and grammatical errors etc... The link provided went to some foreign site with a poorly, half-arsed attempt at looking like a login page for a bank.

I promptly spent a good half an hour populating the username and password box with all manor very useful passwords. YourAPieceOfS#$t, £uckOffLooser etc...

Totally childish but hopefully wasted their time for a few minutes after they though they'd got someone's details!
I think what happens is they harvest the details and sell them on. The buyer than populates the information automatically. I'll be surprised if someone is sat there with a can of pepsi individually typing them in :-D