Aldi

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Aldi

Post by MACCA » Tue May 05, 2020 6:32 am

Since the early weeks of lockdown Mrs Macca has been doing the shopping for her parents and Grandmother ( 94, great innings ) as they have been told to remain in doors due to underlying health issues.

Now as the weeks have progressed shes been picking up bits we have needed here and there when doing their shopping and commenting how cheap it all seems compared to our normal shop.

As we have got skinter week by week due to none of us working, shes picked up more and more "few bits" from Aldi.
Now it's got to the point now where I'm starting to feel the difference as a "few bits" has turned into around half a usual shop

Im wondering when the adverts claim "like brands but cheaper" or " x amount of people voted this product better" is it just me that has come across this clearly not being the case?
I can tell the difference easily, and the quality is only a fraction as good in my opinion, probably the reason the price is a fraction of the similar product too.

She's picking me up my usual treats etc aswell as foods I like, commenting how much cheaper it was, yet I'm being left disappointed.

So I'm just wondering is there genuinely anything in there that is as good or better than the branded stuff the big supermarkets sell, then at least If shes going to pick up "a few bits" I can point her in the right direction.

Either way, fingers crossed irs only for another week or 2.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6361 times
Has Liked: 8704 times

Re: Aldi

Post by IanMcL » Tue May 05, 2020 6:51 am

The wet suits and tools are great on toast!
This user liked this post: Hendrickxz

Claretmatt4
Been Liked: 1049 times
Has Liked: 723 times

Post by Claretmatt4 » Tue May 05, 2020 7:27 am

Tesco have started to price match on own branded stuff, so just tell her to go there.

Personally I love Aldi. There is the odd thing in there that doesn't stack up to the 'real deal' but pretty much everything I've tried is exactly the same, just much cheaper. I can do a full shop for myself for the week for £25 (no dependents) quite easily. I'm sure they've done taste tests and most people don't know the difference... You must have super taste buds.

I only go tesco for specific things that aldi don't do, I can only think of the chocolate bars they do that aren't quite as good but in truth I don't really eat chocolate. The salt and pepper Basa in the frozen section is to die for.

pushpinpussy
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 134 times

Post by pushpinpussy » Tue May 05, 2020 7:29 am

We've been saying Aldi and Lidl wrong for years

In Germany, where the brand started, it is pronounced Lee-dl.
Aldi - effectively pronouncing it All-di.

In any event get to Waitrose. Few more quid but its worth it to have that bit of a luxury and quality.

alboclaret
Been Liked: 143 times
Has Liked: 103 times

Post by alboclaret » Tue May 05, 2020 7:36 am

MACCA wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 6:32 am
Since the early weeks of lockdown Mrs Macca has been doing the shopping for her parents and Grandmother ( 94, great innings ) as they have been told to remain in doors due to underlying health issues.

Now as the weeks have progressed shes been picking up bits we have needed here and there when doing their shopping and commenting how cheap it all seems compared to our normal shop.

As we have got skinter week by week due to none of us working, shes picked up more and more "few bits" from Aldi.
Now it's got to the point now where I'm starting to feel the difference as a "few bits" has turned into around half a usual shop

Im wondering when the adverts claim "like brands but cheaper" or " x amount of people voted this product better" is it just me that has come across this clearly not being the case?
I can tell the difference easily, and the quality is only a fraction as good in my opinion, probably the reason the price is a fraction of the similar product too.

She's picking me up my usual treats etc aswell as foods I like, commenting how much cheaper it was, yet I'm being left disappointed.

So I'm just wondering is there genuinely anything in there that is as good or better than the branded stuff the big supermarkets sell, then at least If shes going to pick up "a few bits" I can point her in the right direction.

I know exactly what you mean. We have a aldi in barlick but I hate aldi. Like you say 2nd rate food. Nightmare to get around (in usually circumstances) rushed through the tills etc.

Multi seeded loaf of bread is one of the only good things.
Salt and pepper crackers also.
Cant think of much more. The sausages are a disgrace. Fruit Is bad. Except pink lady apples

But to be honest....all first world problems....especially right now. So no bother really

Claretitus
Been Liked: 331 times
Has Liked: 207 times

Post by Claretitus » Tue May 05, 2020 7:41 am

MACCA wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 6:32 am

To be honest Macca, I think I'm in agreement. For eg their beans, ketchup, brown sauce etc, aren't as good as Heinz, and they don't sell most of the major branded stuff. Their corn flakes etc are not as good. BUT, their non branded basics- milk, chicken breasts, minced steak are very good AND cheaper. Let's be honest, if you're gonna make a curry, or something similar, why would you pay extra for corn-fed chicken or top price mince for a chilli or a bolognese?
However, try their fillet steaks. They are the best I've had from any supermarket.

To be honest Macca, you're right. Their basic cupboard items, like baked beans, ketchup, breakfast cereals etc just aren't a patch on the main players like Heinz, or Kellogg's, and whilst they do stock some major brands, they don't do those.
However, when it comes to other basic items, such as milk, chicken breasts, mince, salmon fillets, their products are very good, and cheaper. If you're gonna curry chicken, or make bolognese, you don't need absolute top quality meat products.
Try their steaks though, they're among the best I've had from supermarkets, and for eg, their fillets are priced around the same as for sirloin or rib-eye from Tesco etc.
Last edited by Claretitus on Tue May 05, 2020 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1507 times
Has Liked: 580 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Tue May 05, 2020 7:48 am

Agree. A lot of the items we find are of poorer quality or don’t last as long so are a false economy. It’s good to stock up on stuff like baby wipes etc but food wise, not great.

I think because it was (unfairly) maligned in the early days, some people overcompensate for how good it is.

beddie
Been Liked: 1406 times
Has Liked: 518 times

Post by beddie » Tue May 05, 2020 7:50 am

It's all about choice at the end of the day. We find Aldi very good but we also shop at Tesco for certain items. I'm a yoghurt lover and Aldi do one that's so similar to one stocked by Tesco and less than half the price. Aldi Thursday specials often have some good deals on tools, gardening etc.

gc14
Been Liked: 86 times
Has Liked: 67 times

Post by gc14 » Tue May 05, 2020 8:06 am

Some items are good as a few have said but items like coffee,chocolate,beans,cereal etc are rank and you end up going to Tesco's or
Asda for the bits you don't like in Aldi .. It ends up with the money you save by going Aldi or Lidl you spend even more than usual as
you end up going to two different shops ..

groove
Been Liked: 320 times
Has Liked: 544 times

Post by groove » Tue May 05, 2020 8:13 am

pushpinpussy wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 7:29 am
We've been saying Aldi and Lidl wrong for years

In Germany, where the brand started, it is pronounced Lee-dl.
Aldi - effectively pronouncing it All-di.

In any event get to Waitrose. Few more quid but its worth it to have that bit of a luxury and quality.
Aldi was originally called Albrecht Diskont
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8488 times
Has Liked: 18214 times

Post by Bosscat » Tue May 05, 2020 8:14 am

IanMcL wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 6:51 am
The MiG welders useful too

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2320 times
Has Liked: 2696 times

Post by fatboy47 » Tue May 05, 2020 8:29 am

I think its lovely that lots of herberts from lower down the social ladder can convince themselves that patronising a particular supermarket takes them up a notch.

It's a mixture of marketing and packaging. If you shut your eyes there isnt a bugger of difference between them by and large, other than aquired continental tastes...many of my exotic friends think British supermarkets are inferior for similiar reasons.

Yes, I admit the shopping experience varies when youre grubbing around with the unwashed in Lidl's as opposed to the ten bob millionaires at Waitrose, but they're equally sad groups.

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2293 times
Has Liked: 2166 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Tue May 05, 2020 8:29 am

If I shop at Tesco my weekly shop is £100+, if I shop at Aldi it’s around £50, possibly because there isn’t as much choice, but I generally eat fruit, salad, Veg, & meats so there’s little difference in the quality.

Out of lockdown we will shop at Aldi and I’ll nip to one of the larger supermarkets whilst out and about ‘working’ if required.
This user liked this post: fatboy47

pushpinpussy
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 134 times

Post by pushpinpussy » Tue May 05, 2020 8:41 am

Burnley1989 wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 8:29 am
If I shop at Tesco my weekly shop is £100+, if I shop at Aldi it’s around £50, possibly because there isn’t as much choice, but I generally eat fruit, salad, Veg, & meats so there’s little difference in the quality.

Out of lockdown we will shop at Aldi and I’ll nip to one of the larger supermarkets whilst out and about ‘working’ if required.

I think its fair to say that Aldi is a poor man's Tesco

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Tue May 05, 2020 8:44 am

groove wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 8:13 am
Aldi was originally called Albrecht Diskont
Yep. That's where the name comes from. AL.. brecht DI...skont.

I guarantee, you ask 100 customers shopping in Aldi on any given day, and you'll be lucky to find 1 person who knows that.

Swizzlestick

Post by Swizzlestick » Tue May 05, 2020 8:51 am

FactualFrank wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 8:44 am
Yep. That's where the name comes from. AL.. brecht DI...skont.

I guarantee, you ask 100 customers shopping in Aldi on any given day, and you'll be lucky to find 1 person who knows that.
Ditto where ‘Asda’ comes from.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2461 times
Has Liked: 1991 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Tue May 05, 2020 9:05 am

Fussy fecker. I’ve never had a problem with any of their stuff. Cereals and biscuits are a bargain and don’t lack quality at all.

SammyBoy
Been Liked: 469 times
Has Liked: 434 times

Post by SammyBoy » Tue May 05, 2020 9:06 am

About 5 or 6 years ago I briefly worked for Iceland in their head office as a merchandiser on the chilled products (butter, yoghurt etc). My job was basically to design layouts for all the stores showing how much space to give each item. As part of this I had to work with the buyer who negotiated all the deals with the suppliers. He told me that the the own label butter in Aldi comes from the same place as the branded stuff, they just buy the butter though instead of taking the branding as well. As a result they can make their own cheap branding and pass along the saving to the customer. I have no idea how true this is but the bloke who told me had been in the industry for about 25 years and I can't see why he'd lie about it.
This user liked this post: IAmAClaret

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Tue May 05, 2020 9:10 am

alboclaret wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 7:36 am
I know exactly what you mean. We have a aldi in barlick but I hate aldi. Like you say 2nd rate food. Nightmare to get around (in usually circumstances) rushed through the tills etc.

Multi seeded loaf of bread is one of the only good things.
Salt and pepper crackers also.
Cant think of much more. The sausages are a disgrace. Fruit Is bad. Except pink lady apples

But to be honest....all first world problems....especially right now. So no bother really
I fully agree with the last point.

During lockdown there's not much going on other than staying in and helping stop this pandemic, so I look forward to my meals and treats more than ever.

I'm a big foodie, and dont want my highlights of the day dropping below acceptable standards at the toughest of times.

Without sounding daft, the poor quality if snacks are even worse than the poor film choice the young daughter chooses.

I didnt even dare ask the Mrs to pick up cans when I ran out, I did 3 weeks with no cans!

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4185 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue May 05, 2020 9:13 am

SammyBoy wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 9:06 am
About 5 or 6 years ago I briefly worked for Iceland in their head office as a merchandiser on the chilled products (butter, yoghurt etc). My job was basically to design layouts for all the stores showing how much space to give each item. As part of this I had to work with the buyer who negotiated all the deals with the suppliers. He told me that the the own label butter in Aldi comes from the same place as the branded stuff, they just buy the butter though instead of taking the branding as well. As a result they can make their own cheap branding and pass along the saving to the customer. I have no idea how true this is but the bloke who told me had been in the industry for about 25 years and I can't see why he'd lie about it.

There will be some though who will claim to be able to taste the difference between a Marks n Sparks and Lidl cucumber :D
These 3 users liked this post: Tricky Trevor fatboy47 Steve1956

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Tue May 05, 2020 9:14 am

SammyBoy wrote:
I worked in a similar situation with cleaning products, where often the Big stores own would be 90% similar to the Aldi version except for the colour and slight change on smell.

The price was quite substantial difference.

However ceaning products dont really effect much in day to day life, however food is so much more than using it to stay a live, so I like to enjoy it from preparing, to cooking to eating.

IAmAClaret
Been Liked: 349 times
Has Liked: 306 times

Post by IAmAClaret » Tue May 05, 2020 9:14 am

SammyBoy wrote:
That's the tip of the iceberg. A lot of items in M&S and ALDI only have 2 differences: The price and the Packaging.

Take the rather unique 'Mango & Crayfish Salad' they both do. Both have the same nutritional info. Do you think they guessed the recipe, or just get it from the same supplier?

Each to their own, we get some stuff from all of them I think.

Hendrickxz
Been Liked: 200 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Hendrickxz » Tue May 05, 2020 9:15 am

IanMcL wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 6:51 am
I always say I am going to look at the shyte aisle while my wife does the shopping. :D

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Tue May 05, 2020 9:18 am

Swizzlestick wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 8:51 am
Ah yes, just looked it up. Asquith + Dairies

Adidas is similar - Adi Dassler.

Claretincraven
Been Liked: 130 times
Has Liked: 55 times

Post by Claretincraven » Tue May 05, 2020 9:22 am

Must admit I quite like the Banks Amber Bitter in Aldi. Brewed by Marstons, 3.8%, 89p a 500ml bottle. Also Hobgoblin Gold at £1.19 a bottle.

SammyBoy
Been Liked: 469 times
Has Liked: 434 times

Post by SammyBoy » Tue May 05, 2020 9:23 am

IAmAClaret wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 9:14 am
That's the tip of the iceberg. A lot of items in M&S and ALDI only have 2 differences: The price and the Packaging.

Take the rather unique 'Mango & Crayfish Salad' they both do. Both have the same nutritional info. Do you think they guessed the recipe, or just get it from the same supplier?

Each to their own, we get some stuff from all of them I think.
Yeah, at first I was a bit shocked, but then I thought, how many butter and yoghurt suppliers are there gonna be, so it makes sense we're all buying rebadged versions of the same stuff. Another fun tidbit I gleaned from my time in that job was that apparently dark (orange) cheddar and white cheddar are literally the same but one has dye added :lol: Apparently there's a massive north-south divide on the issue and northern stores won't buy white, and southern stores won't buy dark. All Iceland stores north of Birmingham sell the coloured stuff, and south of Birmingham the white stuff with a slight cross over in the midlands.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1696 times
Has Liked: 789 times

Post by warksclaret » Tue May 05, 2020 9:56 am

I use Aldi & Lidl for red wine, and at times bitter ale. They both have some stunning wines between £4.50 and £5.99. You can of course spend more.Regularly both voted for being best wine supermarkets. Of course whilst in I impulse buy and never been failed to be impressed on their value for money. You cannot rely totally on them as they carry a limited range of lines-and has to be said their fruit and veg is of a lesser quality than Sainsburys or Morrisons, but at least they provide us customers an option and are both eating away at the market share of the big boys

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4068 times
Has Liked: 1853 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Tue May 05, 2020 10:06 am

When it comes to a combination of price and quality, I personally think Morrisons beats the lot of em.

ASDA's fruit and veg usually looks like someone's been jumping up and down on it for an hour.
This user liked this post: chorleyhere

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3862 times
Has Liked: 2070 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue May 05, 2020 10:08 am

Lidl is opening a new store in Padiham next year to hopefully buck Tesco's ideas up.

Tesco just seems to get dearer and dearer with no product improvement.

Swizzlestick

Post by Swizzlestick » Tue May 05, 2020 10:09 am

ElectroClaret wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 10:06 am
When it comes to a combination of price and quality, I personally think Morrisons beats the lot of em.

ASDA's fruit and veg usually looks like someone's been jumping up and down on it for an hour.
Agreed, impressed with Morrisons. Good value, range and quality. At the Preston store, anyway.
This user liked this post: chorleyhere

The Enclosure
Been Liked: 990 times
Has Liked: 3266 times

Post by The Enclosure » Tue May 05, 2020 10:11 am

Swizzlestick wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 8:51 am
ASsociated DAiries
This user liked this post: IanMcL

morpheus2
Been Liked: 761 times
Has Liked: 1850 times

Post by morpheus2 » Tue May 05, 2020 10:17 am

The tinned drained tuna, excellent value and almost as good if not as good as the top brands.

The Salmon is good value and good enough if cooked as I cook it.

Alcaf Ground coffee is sh*t.

I normally follow the Half Price Ticket Guy around, so great value for anything.

Marney&Mee
Been Liked: 657 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by Marney&Mee » Tue May 05, 2020 10:32 am

surprised ALDI and Lidl didn't get their act together and launch a home delivery service. Even the dinosaur that is Booths managed to do that.

I scoffed at the idea of shopping at ALDI back in the day (scuse the pun)...but can't really fault it now. Avoid the ketchup tho

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Tue May 05, 2020 10:38 am

The Enclosure wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 10:11 am
ASsociated DAiries
Asquith + Dairies

https://corporate.asda.com/our-story/our-history

It was around this time that Peter Asquith was also looking for a company to take over his in-store butchery operation, so he made contact with Noel Stockdale at Associated Dairies. It was the beginning of a fantastic retail partnership.

On the 3rd May 1965, Asda was born.

ASquith + DAiries = the birth of ASDA

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Tue May 05, 2020 10:42 am

The Enclosure wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 10:11 am
ASsociated DAiries
I was under that impression, though it seems wrong....

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3153 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Tue May 05, 2020 10:45 am

FactualFrank wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 9:18 am
Ah yes, just looked it up. Asquith + Dairies

Adidas is similar - Adi Dassler.
It is amazing how many Burnley people want to bring those to Brands even closer - by insisting on calling Asquith Dairies - Asda's as a brand name and not as in belonging to

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1152 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Tue May 05, 2020 10:56 am

One of the oldest myths in retail that “ it’s the same product in a different box” .With the exception of “single” staple generics like flour /sugar/pasta etc . No brand would ever ever use the identical recipe for the manufacture of own brand .It might be similar and it’s not that hard to “ make it yourself “ in your own facility but it’s never gonna be the same . Aldi probs being the best copycats imo
This user liked this post: Burnley1989

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6485 times
Has Liked: 2910 times

Post by Steve1956 » Tue May 05, 2020 11:07 am

The Kilmarnock pie in Aldi knocks the spots off its rivals

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue May 05, 2020 11:08 am

Steve1956 wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 11:07 am
The Kilmarnock pie in Aldi knocks the spots off its rivals
What the **** is a kilmarnock pie :D

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2320 times
Has Liked: 2696 times

Post by fatboy47 » Tue May 05, 2020 11:09 am

morpheus2 wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 10:17 am
The tinned drained tuna, excellent value and almost as good if not as good as the top brands.

The Salmon is good value and good enough if cooked as I cook it.

Alcaf Ground coffee is sh*t.

I normally follow the Half Price Ticket Guy around, so great value for anything.

id always presumed that there were seperate salmon and tuna swimming along out there...different breeds allocated to aldi and waitrose.
These 2 users liked this post: Steve1956 Burnley1989

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Tue May 05, 2020 11:09 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 11:08 am
A pie from kilmarnock

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Tue May 05, 2020 11:11 am

Where is a Raith Rovers pie from then ?

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Tue May 05, 2020 11:13 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 11:08 am
https://images.app.goo.gl/UFzp35gFyymQfjdJA

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue May 05, 2020 11:13 am

Looks better than a scunthorpe pasty

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Tue May 05, 2020 11:15 am

TVC15 wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 11:11 am
Where is a Raith Rovers pie from then ?
Preston?

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Tue May 05, 2020 11:17 am

Steve1956 wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 11:15 am
Preston?
Nope
Guess again.

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Tue May 05, 2020 11:18 am

TVC15 wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 11:17 am
Nope
Guess again.
Naw...I give in,where is it from?

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Tue May 05, 2020 11:20 am

Steve1956 wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 11:18 am
Naw...I give in,where is it from?
The answer is linked to the infamous football quote “they’ll be dancing in the street of Raith tonight”.

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Tue May 05, 2020 11:24 am

Is it Kerrr- Coddy 😊

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2293 times
Has Liked: 2166 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Tue May 05, 2020 11:26 am

fatboy47 wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 11:09 am
id always presumed that there were seperate salmon and tuna swimming along out there...different breeds allocated to aldi and waitrose.
Aldi Tuna are pulled out of the sea at Blackpool, Mark & Spencer fish in the sea of tranquillity on the moon
These 2 users liked this post: Steve1956 fatboy47