ARTICLE: Wembley and my dad’s FA Cup promise

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32237 times
Has Liked: 5253 times

ARTICLE: Wembley and my dad’s FA Cup promise

Post by ClaretTony » Tue May 05, 2020 11:10 am

58 years ago today since our last appearance in an FA Cup Final but I know we'll win next time

See link
https://www.uptheclarets.com/wembley-an ... up-promise
These 4 users liked this post: tim_noone Cajun KateR PhiladelphiaChris

Athletico mtoto
Been Liked: 182 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Re: ARTICLE: Wembley and my dad’s FA Cup promise

Post by Athletico mtoto » Tue May 05, 2020 12:00 pm

C245AEA8-A54C-42F0-952D-17E246C48396.jpeg
C245AEA8-A54C-42F0-952D-17E246C48396.jpeg (215.05 KiB) Viewed 1811 times
My Grandad’s ticket.Look at the price difference
Between the two tickets.
He must have been well off or it was the only ticket he could get

redwasp
Been Liked: 88 times
Has Liked: 35 times

Post by redwasp » Tue May 05, 2020 12:01 pm

Yes, I was there as well Tony. Also went with my father. We caught the train from Nelson, Jubilee class AJAX. I remember I was still jumping around cheering when they scored the second which rather spoilt the rest of the game. It was a long day, the train back wasn't til midnight we went into London and went to a theatre to watch One For The Pot, a farce with Brian Rix. All I remember about the journey home was waking up at the station.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1678 times
Has Liked: 2513 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Tue May 05, 2020 12:40 pm

Very poignant, CT. I'm the same age as you but for about three months. I got my Cup Final ticket because I had a season ticket but as I've explained oft before on here my mum offered it to my 13 yr. old cousin instead of the traditional Easter egg. He accepted the offer. So my Final day was spent very traditionally with the telly on from late morning and curtains closed to create a better picture. Another distraught 10 year old at the final whistle but at least I didn't have to suffer a Brian Rix comedy in the ensuing hours as did an earlier poster. If my cousin reads this he will probably reply with his version of the story including all his Wembley preparations. 58 years has eased the pain. Honestly. Grrrr.

ashtonlongsider
Been Liked: 493 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ashtonlongsider » Tue May 05, 2020 12:51 pm

Excellent article CT. Very personal and emotive. It was my first full season watching the clarets, but I was only 8 at the time of the final, and was deemed too young to go to the 'big city'. I watched the match with my Dad when we lived at Morecambe around what was from memory a very small boxy black and white TV. When we equalise, my Dad said we'd go on to win it only for the dream to end within the minute. I still hold the FA Cup in high regard and am still waiting expectantly for the day when the claret and blue colours are tied to the famous trophy.

groove
Been Liked: 318 times
Has Liked: 544 times

Post by groove » Tue May 05, 2020 1:01 pm

What a wonderfully evocative article. Really enjoyed reading that. Thanks

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Post by mdd2 » Tue May 05, 2020 1:07 pm

What painful memories they were to. My one and only season as a ST holder up to then and nothing until 1987 season post Orient as I was away from the town at Uni from 62 and then lived in Newcastle, Cardiff until returning to the NW in 73 but then only a sporadic watcher live with a busy job and young family .I started polluting their football brains by dragging them to the Turf in the 81/82 campaign and then odd games thereafter. After the Orient game I became along with the boys a ST holder and a repeat of Wembley and defeat. Had ST ever since and all the family save me saw the 1994 play off but I was in USA on business.
Back to 1962 I was gutted more so as their third goal should never have stood as the Linesman flagged (correctly) for a foul on Adam by I think Smith before TC hand ball and penalty. That ****** me off for weeks and what a season it had been. Three trophies slipped from our grasp!!!!!!
This user liked this post: ralphdpomeroy

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32237 times
Has Liked: 5253 times

Post by ClaretTony » Tue May 05, 2020 1:14 pm

Athletico mtoto wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:00 pm
C245AEA8-A54C-42F0-952D-17E246C48396.jpeg
My Grandad’s ticket.Look at the price difference
Between the two tickets.
He must have been well off or it was the only ticket he could get
I rather doubt we’d have been able to go with tickets at that price.

Silkyskills1

Post by Silkyskills1 » Tue May 05, 2020 1:23 pm

'I started polluting their football brains by dragging them to the Turf'

Very apt. How many of us can admit the same?

Rowls
Been Liked: 5065 times
Has Liked: 5124 times

Post by Rowls » Tue May 05, 2020 1:47 pm

Thanks Tony, great article.

Weymouth Claret
Been Liked: 33 times

Post by Weymouth Claret » Tue May 05, 2020 4:40 pm

What a wonderful article Tony.I was 7 and watched the game with my older brother, a Spurs fan, in our front room in our house London.I was hooked and there began my love for all, well most, things Burnley.

Thanks for that Tony,loved it, apart from the result. Ray Pointer, what a legend of mine he became.

Mondsley
Been Liked: 134 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Post by Mondsley » Tue May 05, 2020 4:50 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 1:23 pm
'I started polluting their football brains by dragging them to the Turf'

Very apt. How many of us can admit the same?
Well I certainly can. My son was very keen on Liverpool as a small child. But that soon changed. So much so that he came back from Melbourne for the 2009 play off final. Good effort.
Lovely article Tony. I to was deemed too young at 7 to go to the final so watched, like many others, on a small black and white TV, front room curtains shut, pop and crisps aplenty.
These 2 users liked this post: Silkyskills1 Anonymous

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1967 times
Has Liked: 1132 times

Post by FCBurnley » Tue May 05, 2020 5:12 pm

I was 14 and CT memory is certainly better than mine. Went on train ( assume it was from Burnley Central). Stood behind the goals opposite end to Jimmy Robson goal. Felt totally robbed by ref ( as usual). If Robbo said his disallowed goal was onside then it was onside. Glad I had the chance to go and hope Tonys Dad is right about us winning the next final and I get the chance to be there ! My Dad went to the 47 final and 62. And I went to the 62 and Wolves final. So for our family at least, no great Wembley memories except beating the mighty Stockport. Will we ever win The FA Cup Final at Wembley. Of course we will cos Tonys Dad said we will ( and he was a super nice guy btw)
This user liked this post: ClaretTony

Silkyskills1

Post by Silkyskills1 » Tue May 05, 2020 5:15 pm

Rochdale, Doncaster, Carlisle were some of the treats I took mine to when they first started attending. Fair play to them because they stuck at it despite.some.of their friends attending Old Trafford.now.and again. That's what made the outcome at York that.night so satisfying for.me and it continued, on the whole, to get better.
This user liked this post: Mondsley

ralphdpomeroy
Been Liked: 26 times
Has Liked: 42 times

Post by ralphdpomeroy » Tue May 05, 2020 6:02 pm

mdd2 wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 1:07 pm
What painful memories they were to. My one and only season as a ST holder up to then and nothing until 1987 season post Orient as I was away from the town at Uni from 62 and then lived in Newcastle, Cardiff until returning to the NW in 73 but then only a sporadic watcher live with a busy job and young family .I started polluting their football brains by dragging them to the Turf in the 81/82 campaign and then odd games thereafter. After the Orient game I became along with the boys a ST holder and a repeat of Wembley and defeat. Had ST ever since and all the family save me saw the 1994 play off but I was in USA on business.
Back to 1962 I was gutted more so as their third goal should never have stood as the Linesman flagged (correctly) for a foul on Adam by I think Smith before TC hand ball and penalty. That ****** me off for weeks and what a season it had been. Three trophies slipped from our grasp!!!!!!
My Dad didn't get to go due to the shameful ticket allocation ..they only had one between them , so neither wanting to go without the other , Dad and Grandad gave up the ticket in favour of the telly . He has been to all three Wembley visits since though.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 10202 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Tue May 05, 2020 6:21 pm

Again, a superb article, Tony - five years before I started watching the Clarets but fascinating stuff. Many thanks.

Cajun
Been Liked: 243 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Cajun » Tue May 05, 2020 6:47 pm

Excellent story CT. I was only 4 then so no memories, but my dad told me he managed to get an early work shift so he could be home in time to watch the game, only for some unwelcome non-football fan visitors to show up uninvited just before kick-off. He said that he banished them away from the living room with my mum so that he could watch the game with just me. He would have loved to see the lads play at Wembley, and we really thought we would do in 74. He was so disappointed when we missed out. As the 80s went on I never thought the Clarets would ever appear at Wembley, and so the Sherpa Van final in 88 was great just to be there and try to imagine how proud my dad would have been to see his beloved Clarets coming out of the Wembley tunnel.

CleggHall
Been Liked: 838 times
Has Liked: 1044 times

Post by CleggHall » Tue May 05, 2020 8:54 pm

This series has been one of your very best Tony, marvellous evocative writing for young and old.
Thanks.