ARTICLE: Jim Thomson on Jimmy Adamson

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32405 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

ARTICLE: Jim Thomson on Jimmy Adamson

Post by ClaretTony » Wed May 06, 2020 11:47 am

This week's article from davet / rodleydave

See link
https://www.uptheclarets.com/jim-thomso ... my-adamson
These 6 users liked this post: levraiclaret Spijed fatboy47 Hipper Colburn_Claret turfytopper

Buxtonclaret
Been Liked: 3766 times
Has Liked: 7557 times

Re: ARTICLE: Jim Thomson on Jimmy Adamson

Post by Buxtonclaret » Wed May 06, 2020 12:35 pm

Very good read.
Cheers, Dave.
Knew Jimmy A was reputed to be aloof and distanced to some, but that's an eye opener.
Thommo is one of my favourite players of that era.
Tough, ultra dependable.
Different styles in a different sort of game to back then.
But Jim did the same sort of role for us then that Ben is doing so well for us now.
This user liked this post: k90bfc

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2320 times
Has Liked: 2696 times

Post by fatboy47 » Wed May 06, 2020 12:40 pm

Cracking item.

reccomended.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2531 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Wed May 06, 2020 12:57 pm

Didn't/doesn't this sort of thing happen at most football clubs. Nothing unique about Burnley Football Club.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3148 times
Has Liked: 10237 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Wed May 06, 2020 1:03 pm

Brilliant, Dave, many thanks.
As above, Thomson was one of my favourite all-timers. Never flashy but, like Nulty to name another, so vital in a very good team/squad.
This user liked this post: paulatky

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed May 06, 2020 1:08 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 12:57 pm
Didn't/doesn't this sort of thing happen at most football clubs. Nothing unique about Burnley Football Club.
Doesn’t happen at our club now. Adamson could be a very unpleasant man and he worked for one every bit as unpleasant although I’d say Adamson was more underhand than Lord. Not just Thomson & Nulty who disliked him, there’s a long list from when he was player, manager & coach.

Dougall
Been Liked: 161 times
Has Liked: 222 times

Post by Dougall » Wed May 06, 2020 1:37 pm

Although my Mum never went into any detail about what may have happened, she was very uncomplimentary about Jimmy Adamson in relation to his dealings with my Grandad.
Of course, Grandad died before JA was made manager, but the impression that I got from the little that Mum did reveal was that underhand behaviour was his style - presumably while still a player.
I smile when I think about it now, but she used to snarl when his name was mentioned! (And she wasn't one to utter a bad word about anyone!)
This user liked this post: ClaretTony

Mondsley
Been Liked: 135 times
Has Liked: 29 times

Post by Mondsley » Wed May 06, 2020 1:55 pm

Another great read Dave. Thanks. I worked in Burnley tax office from 1973 to late 1975 on the PAYE section. It wasn't unusual for the players to call at the enquiry counter to discuss their tax affairs - can you imagine that happening now!!? I dont think I'm breaking the official secrets act by saying Jim T was a caller. And a very nice chap he was. Say what you like about Adamson but that 72/73 team was one of the best I've seen.
These 2 users liked this post: Uwe Noble k90bfc

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed May 06, 2020 2:42 pm

Mondsley wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 1:55 pm
Another great read Dave. Thanks. I worked in Burnley tax office from 1973 to late 1975 on the PAYE section. It wasn't unusual for the players to call at the enquiry counter to discuss their tax affairs - can you imagine that happening now!!? I dont think I'm breaking the official secrets act by saying Jim T was a caller. And a very nice chap he was. Say what you like about Adamson but that 72/73 team was one of the best I've seen.
Jim Thomson is a top bloke
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46

Rodleydave
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 101 times

Post by Rodleydave » Wed May 06, 2020 2:59 pm

Dougall that's really enlightening. Not just Marg Potts then.

Dougall
Been Liked: 161 times
Has Liked: 222 times

Post by Dougall » Wed May 06, 2020 3:26 pm

Mum and Mrs. Potts were quite similar, really, and got on well together.
Neither of them seemed the type to seek conflict, but both were angry at/about JA - and stayed angry for the rest of their lives !
Quite remarkable, really.

Rodleydave

Post by Rodleydave » Wed May 06, 2020 3:36 pm

The Lord sisters no time for him either... no surprise there...

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed May 06, 2020 3:42 pm

Rodleydave wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 2:59 pm
Dougall that's really enlightening. Not just Marg Potts then.
No - a bloody long list

sandy richardson
Been Liked: 49 times

Post by sandy richardson » Wed May 06, 2020 3:58 pm

Fascinating stuff. You could understand it if Adamson managed all the players in the same way, or even managed certain players in this way. But it seems perverse to single out the ones (like Thomson and Nulty) who were steadier and least likely to make mistakes.

Thomson is the real unsung hero of that time, if you look at the length of his Burnley career and the quality of some of the teams he played in. Yet he never gets mention when people pick their best XI or favourite XI.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Wed May 06, 2020 4:04 pm

Jim Thomson was a lovely bloke.
He bought a house up Martin Drive across from Christ the King School and i used to see him a lot and he was great with everyone. Later played football with his son for a couple of years and he was a great lad too.

Bfc
Been Liked: 443 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Bfc » Wed May 06, 2020 4:21 pm

Jim Thomson was a strong player, who could stand up for himself on the pitch. Yet the same man off the pitch, is always warm and friendly, with time to have a minute whenever we meet. A grizzly bear on the pitch and a teddy bear off it ( unless you upset his family).
Rodleydave re your comment about the Lord sisters. I assume for the benefit of the younger readers, you meant Lords daughters (sisters)

Rodleydave

Post by Rodleydave » Wed May 06, 2020 4:31 pm

yep BFC.

ralphdpomeroy
Been Liked: 26 times
Has Liked: 42 times

Post by ralphdpomeroy » Wed May 06, 2020 5:36 pm

Excellent read ... over the years I've quite often got to know things about the club just by living in certain parts of town where you would meet players and their families ...these days I'm even closer to the dressing room but I don't ask much and expect to be told even less 😂

Whatever we might think about players the reality is often quite different ...they face many of the same difficulties with work and bosses as the rest of us ...the numbers are often bigger that's all...

Bfc
Been Liked: 443 times

Post by Bfc » Wed May 06, 2020 6:24 pm

Dave I'm sorry that I failed to mention my liking for your story, in my comment above.
I must say I was very surprised that mild meek Joe Brown had lost his temper, especially in a dressing room. That was an eye opener for me. Alex Ferguson must have thought he would be the right man to work for him at Old Trafford, given Joes version of the hairdryer type of dressing room rage at a player.

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 636 times

Post by Tribesmen » Wed May 06, 2020 7:37 pm

Now when you look at it we all work with people who we don't get on with for any reason , now you still go to work and try your best which must be the same with footballers on the whole .

XDS
Been Liked: 26 times

Post by XDS » Wed May 06, 2020 8:53 pm

Known Jim a long time, had a rough couple of years with the loss of his son who was a brilliant lad, people don't give him enough credit as a player and don't know how much pace he had, the quickest i saw him move was when he had to climb on to the Bob Lord stand roof due to a fallout with the fire brigade. Bernard Rothwell sent some scaffold that was balanced on 2 bricks on the running track and the opposite side on the pitch next to the then home dugout, unfortunatley the scaffold wasn't big enough so Roy Oldfield produced a pair of old step ladders that opened with a bit of rope between legs, however the rope had snapped so one of the young lads (steve) had to go up with him and hold the ladders together whilst Jim streched and kind of jumped onto the roof, after retrieving the 2 balls Steve had to hold the ladder and guide Jim to the top of the ladders whilst he lowered himself onto the ladder, once he got onto the ladder, the speed at which he descended the scaffold and ran across the pitch down the tunnel and into the refs room was Usain Bolt standard. How time's have changed but Jim hasn't top bloke
This user liked this post: turfytopper

turfytopper
Been Liked: 409 times
Has Liked: 3421 times

Post by turfytopper » Wed May 06, 2020 9:12 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 11:47 am
This week's article from davet / rodleydave

See link
https://www.uptheclarets.com/jim-thomso ... my-adamson
Great 'lockdown' read. Many thanks..

Siddo
Been Liked: 374 times
Has Liked: 1860 times

Post by Siddo » Wed May 06, 2020 9:42 pm

I met Joe Brown many times in the late 60s up to the early 80s and he was nothing but a gentleman at all times . A really lovely man. I'm surprised to read he could have an aggressive side to him.
I met Jimmy Adamson a couple of times in 71. I had a trial for Burnley, and a couple of other clubs were interested in me including Bury and Watford, so he asked me down to Gawthorpe. I was a keeper and just before the game someone asked me where I lived, as the place was full of lads my age from all over the country.
I nodded at JA and said, I live near Jimmy.
The match kicked off and I didn't touch the ball once in the 45 minutes apart from a back pass. At half time JA took me off and put someone else in goal. I think I upset JA with my little quip and that was the end of my Burnley hopes.
Funnily enough, Mickey Finn was in the opposite nets and had a really good game.
I later met JA many times at Gannow baths. I was teaching my lads to swim, and he used to take his grandchild. On those occasions he was really pleasant, so maybe the pressure of the job took its toll in the 70s?

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu May 07, 2020 11:20 am

Siddo wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 9:42 pm
I met Joe Brown many times in the late 60s up to the early 80s and he was nothing but a gentleman at all times . A really lovely man. I'm surprised to read he could have an aggressive side to him.
I knew Joe really well and I have to say I was stunned to read that he could be in any way aggressive. You got it right with him, a gentleman.

ashtonlongsider
Been Liked: 494 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ashtonlongsider » Thu May 07, 2020 11:39 am

Fascinating stuff and many thanks DT for another brilliant article. I've heard many polarised opinions of JA over the years, but the same could probably be said about a lot of other managers, especially in that era. However if I could bottle one period of our illustrious history it would be from JA's tenure. Whatever the ins and outs, I thought he was light years ahead of anything I had seen prior or dare I say since with his innovative style and methods. It really was a joy to watch and I still think without the sale of key personnel we would have come very close to winning the title in the period 73-75.

ten bellies
Been Liked: 237 times
Has Liked: 1283 times

Post by ten bellies » Thu May 07, 2020 2:57 pm

I don't remember a lot of the games I went to as a youngster, but one I do remember is one in which Jim Thomson scored the winner against West Ham, after coming back from 2-0 down. It was on MOTD and pre game there was a lot of trouble on the terraces, which MOTD never referred to thankfully.

Cirrus_Minor
Been Liked: 1161 times
Has Liked: 1293 times

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Thu May 07, 2020 7:14 pm

What a remarkable read that was. Bit surprised at Joe Brown be aggressive, I remember him as a methodist lay preacher.

Suratclaret
Been Liked: 333 times
Has Liked: 788 times

Post by Suratclaret » Fri May 08, 2020 4:28 am

Cirrus_Minor wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 7:14 pm
What a remarkable read that was. Bit surprised at Joe Brown be aggressive, I remember him as a methodist lay preacher.
Dave Merrington was also a lay preacher but used to kick the opposition all over the pitch!

Jim Thomson was one of my favourite players although I hadn't realised he had played so many times for the Clarets.

Brilliant read!

jtv
Been Liked: 297 times
Has Liked: 386 times

Post by jtv » Fri May 08, 2020 8:36 am

Wasn't Jim the Club's Commercial Manager for a while? I remember corresponding with him prior to a visit to the UK during which I planned to go and watch the game at Peterborough (March 1987 - the Orient season) and he had kindly arranged for me to meet Brian Miller and the squad after the match. The doorman at Peterborough ground was very helpful - he stowed my bag in the manager's room for the duration of the match, then was so kind as to give me a lift to the railway station to catch the last train to London (it was a night game - ended 1-1). At the time Ray Hankin was playing in Malta for Hamrun Spartans and the Burnley players were bombarding me with questions about football in Malta!

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri May 08, 2020 1:36 pm

jtv wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 8:36 am
Wasn't Jim the Club's Commercial Manager for a while? I remember corresponding with him prior to a visit to the UK during which I planned to go and watch the game at Peterborough (March 1987 - the Orient season) and he had kindly arranged for me to meet Brian Miller and the squad after the match. The doorman at Peterborough ground was very helpful - he stowed my bag in the manager's room for the duration of the match, then was so kind as to give me a lift to the railway station to catch the last train to London (it was a night game - ended 1-1). At the time Ray Hankin was playing in Malta for Hamrun Spartans and the Burnley players were bombarding me with questions about football in Malta!
Jim was the commercial manager throughout that season

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1217 times
Has Liked: 7178 times

Post by Quicknick » Fri May 08, 2020 3:03 pm

Interesting article.