Sam Finley - Accrington Stanley

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2218 times
Has Liked: 2207 times

Sam Finley - Accrington Stanley

Post by fidelcastro » Wed May 06, 2020 4:51 pm

I may have been more shocked to learn that Paul McShane was still playing... but seriously, how prevalent in the game is this type of abuse?
I'm not trying to be provocative at all, but what punishment could he expect if his opponent had been black?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52369355

SalouClaret
Been Liked: 340 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Re: Sam Finley - Accrington Stanley

Post by SalouClaret » Wed May 06, 2020 5:02 pm

If his opponent was black and was called a pikey? Probably also 8 games.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Wed May 06, 2020 5:16 pm

fidelcastro wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 4:51 pm
I may have been more shocked to learn that Paul McShane was still playing... but seriously, how prevalent in the game is this type of abuse?
I'm not trying to be provocative at all, but what punishment could he expect if his opponent had been black?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52369355
Not quite sure where you are coming from...are you saying the punishment is too harsh or too lenient ?
8 games looks about right to me for racial abuse.....about right as in compared to other offences / punishments dished out by the FA.

I`d be happy if for both offences it was 12 games and if caught a second time that you were banned for say a season...or a life ban - would not argue with either as if that's what it takes to get it out of the game its all good by me.

fidelcastro

Post by fidelcastro » Wed May 06, 2020 5:29 pm

TVC15 wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 5:16 pm
Not quite sure where you are coming from...are you saying the punishment is too harsh or too lenient ?
8 games looks about right to me for racial abuse.....about right as in compared to other offences / punishments dished out by the FA.

I`d be happy if for both offences it was 12 games and if caught a second time that you were banned for say a season...or a life ban - would not argue with either as if that's what it takes to get it out of the game its all good by me.
I think it's probably about right, I just can't help thinking it may have been longer if his opponent had been black and there was a reference to skin colour in what was said... to differentiate from SalouClaret's very droll response.

I agree though that tougher punishments may be needed to eradicate this from the game... whenever it might resume!

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Wed May 06, 2020 5:32 pm

I see or hear the word Pikey used on an almost daily basis
Another day I've learnt something new, I genuinely never knew it was racist or that I had been racially abused, as well as seeing many others suffer the same.

I must get called it once a week.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Wed May 06, 2020 5:36 pm

fidelcastro wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 5:29 pm
I think it's probably about right, I just can't help thinking it may have been longer if his opponent had been black and there was a reference to skin colour in what was said... to differentiate from SalouClaret's very droll response.

I agree though that tougher punishments may be needed to eradicate this from the game... whenever it might resume!
There’s not much precedent in this country tbh - which some might say is a positive but in reality probably means not enough players (or officials) want to report it.
When was the last player banned for racism ?
The last one I can recall was Suarez on Evra and he received the same 8 game ban which kind of disproves what you were thinking.

Claretforever
Been Liked: 1035 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by Claretforever » Wed May 06, 2020 5:45 pm

MACCA wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 5:32 pm
Another day I've learnt something new, I genuinely never knew it was racist or that I had been racially abused, as well as seeing many others suffer the same.

I think it’s one of those works where people over the age of 35 or 30 didn’t realise it was racist. It seems to only be the past 5-10 years it has become so? I genuinely didn’t realise until a couple of years ago. You can get banned for using the term on Facebook now, but 6-7 years ago you wouldn’t have been, although they’ve really clamped down on derogatory terms and anything which can offend...anybody. You can still use the term ‘gypsy’ though without reprimand. Either that or you can post a picture of a pie and then a picture of a key to get your point across. ;)

DCWat
Been Liked: 4142 times
Has Liked: 3605 times

Post by DCWat » Wed May 06, 2020 5:47 pm

MACCA wrote:

That seems a very high frequency for being called a pikey (weekly) or hearing someone called it (almost daily).

The only time I tend to hear the term pikey is in reference to travellers moving in on someone else’s land and that’s 50/50 between gypo and pikey.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Wed May 06, 2020 6:06 pm

MACCA wrote:

Your not Asian by any chance?

SalouClaret
Been Liked: 340 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by SalouClaret » Wed May 06, 2020 6:08 pm

fidelcastro wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 5:29 pm
His opponent wasn't black and there was no reference to skin colour though. I suffer racist abuse every other month, but don't go out of my way with hypotheticals.

Luis Suarez used a racist term aimed at Patrice Evra, who is black, and also received an 8 game ban.

Sorry for being very droll, Mr Castro.

fidelcastro

Post by fidelcastro » Wed May 06, 2020 6:13 pm

SalouClaret wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 6:08 pm
His opponent wasn't black and there was no reference to skin colour though. I suffer racist abuse every other month, but don't go out of my way with hypotheticals.

Luis Suarez used a racist term aimed at Patrice Evra, who is black, and also received an 8 game ban.

Sorry for being very droll, Mr Castro.
You're forgiven :D
This user liked this post: SalouClaret

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Wed May 06, 2020 6:34 pm

DCWat wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 5:47 pm
That seems a very high frequency for being called a pikey (weekly) or hearing someone called it (almost daily).

The only time I tend to hear the term pikey is in reference to travellers moving in on someone else’s land and that’s 50/50 between gypo and pikey.
Banded about like when certain cultures call each other the n or p word.
Might just be the area / people, it's used like an insult of scrubber, shifty , tight etc ( or least I thought ) just a throw away dig.

Well I certainly haven't been moving onto anyone's land, although I do hear gypo a lot too.

Living like a pikey/gypo
Acting like a ....
Stop behaving like a....
You tight...
Must be .....
You're just a ....

Here one of them phrases with the aforementioned racist words every other day, however always thought was just really crap banter.
This user liked this post: DCWat

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Wed May 06, 2020 6:35 pm

tim_noone wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 6:06 pm
Your not Asian by any chance?
No Mr M I am not.

Edit quickly or the your, you're and ur police will be out...
This user liked this post: tim_noone

Rojales Claret
Been Liked: 37 times
Has Liked: 12 times

Post by Rojales Claret » Wed May 06, 2020 7:49 pm

I have also thought when something becomes racist rather than just an insult. If a player was to call a Scottish player a 'Jock' is that racist? If come the next Ashes series an Australian player calls an English player a 'Pommie' is that racist. I really don't know the answer. Blurred lines in some instances.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3154 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Wed May 06, 2020 7:58 pm

TVC15 wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 5:36 pm
There’s not much precedent in this country tbh - which some might say is a positive but in reality probably means not enough players (or officials) want to report it.
When was the last player banned for racism ?
The last one I can recall was Suarez on Evra and he received the same 8 game ban which kind of disproves what you were thinking.
happens more often than you think - Leeds keeper only in Feb this year

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51628153

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Wed May 06, 2020 8:16 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 7:58 pm
happens more often than you think - Leeds keeper only in Feb this year

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51628153
Vaguely remember that now.
Looking like 8 match ban is the standard though.