BBC:PL team of the season

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

BBC:PL team of the season

Post by tiger76 » Thu May 07, 2020 6:15 pm

Just to be clear this isn't the official awards just the public vote ones on the Beeb,might explain why there's a couple of odd choices in there.

Personally i wouldn't have picked Fernandes,he's only been in the PL for 2 minutes,5 games he's played FGS,must be loads of United fans voting.I'd have selected Maddison in place of him.

And i'd have chosen Vardy over Salah,Salah's not had his best season,hard to argue with the rest.

As there's not much else to discuss what's your PL XI of the season.Given we might not play again this season,might as well consider it.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6386 times
Has Liked: 8730 times

Re: BBC:PL team of the season

Post by IanMcL » Thu May 07, 2020 6:41 pm

Allison a bit of an iffy choice too.

CleggHall
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 1050 times

Post by CleggHall » Thu May 07, 2020 7:03 pm

Henderson doesn't do it for me and Fernandes played too few games.
This user liked this post: Stayingup

claretblue
Been Liked: 1835 times
Has Liked: 962 times

Post by claretblue » Thu May 07, 2020 7:34 pm

CleggHall wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 7:03 pm
Henderson doesn't do it for me and Fernandes played too few games.
Prefer Pope to Henderson! 8-)

TVC15
Been Liked: 3322 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Thu May 07, 2020 7:43 pm

Maddison dropped off a lot since Christmas.
If anything Grealish has been more consistent this season. Fernandes has looked a better player than both Grealish and Maddison but I don’t think he’s played enough games.
So not sure there is that an obvious a choice with lots of players in an out of form and injury with the big teams.

Think Henderson has been consistently very good for Liverpool and fully deserves his place.

Not sure Aguero has been that good this season. Not to his high standards. Vardy or even Danny Ings for me.

Allison missed a quarter of the season so Henderson or Pope for me and definitely not Pickford !

Bertiebeehead
Been Liked: 567 times
Has Liked: 684 times

Post by Bertiebeehead » Thu May 07, 2020 7:43 pm

Proof, if it was needed, that the public can’t be trusted to vote for anything.
These 2 users liked this post: MT03ALG KateR

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Thu May 07, 2020 7:51 pm

claretblue wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 7:34 pm
Prefer Pope to Henderson! 8-)
I thought someone would say that so here's the stats.

Nick Pope is a Goalkeeper who has appeared in 29 matches this season in Premier League, playing a total of 2610 minutes. Pope concedes an average of 1.31 goals for every 90 minutes that he's on the pitch. His Clean Sheets ratio is currently at 38%. That means Pope has kept a Clean Sheet in 11 matches out of the 29 that he's played in.

Alisson Ramsés Becker is a Goalkeeper who has appeared in 20 matches this season in Premier League, playing a total of 1735 minutes. Becker concedes an average of 0.57 goals for every 90 minutes that he's on the pitch. His Clean Sheets ratio is currently at 50%. That means Becker has kept a Clean Sheet in 10 matches out of the 20 that he's played in.

Dean Henderson is a Goalkeeper who has appeared in 27 matches this season in Premier League, playing a total of 2430 minutes. Henderson concedes an average of 0.81 goals for every 90 minutes that he's on the pitch. His Clean Sheets ratio is currently at 37%. That means Henderson has kept a Clean Sheet in 10 matches out of the 27 that he's played in.

So on those numbers there's little to choose between Henderson and Pope,but both are way behind Allison,but then you'd expect that.You're not comparing like for like.

Looking ahead i'd expect the battle for England's 2nd choice keeper to be between Henderson and Pope,the others are advancing in years now.Or like Butland horribly out of form,Pickford will be the 1st choice while Gareth's in the hot seat though,of that I've no doubt.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2472 times
Has Liked: 2008 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Thu May 07, 2020 7:52 pm

Pereira best RB. Jimenez best CF. Soyuncu hasn’t been that good to be selected above all others.

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2309 times
Has Liked: 2172 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Thu May 07, 2020 7:58 pm

I’m a bit lost here, I think people are getting Henderson the keeper, and Henderson the captain of the best team in the country perhaps even the world mixed up.

How anybody can remain unconvinced by either would be baffling
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3164 times
Has Liked: 6754 times

Post by boatshed bill » Thu May 07, 2020 8:37 pm

I could keep goal for liverpool, I can play a decent 5 yard pass too.
This user liked this post: MT03ALG

rufus lumley
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by rufus lumley » Thu May 07, 2020 8:38 pm

I’m shocked Drinkwater not in that team.
This user liked this post: KateR

Dyched
Been Liked: 1923 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Thu May 07, 2020 9:22 pm

Henderson has grown to be a superb CM. He’s brilliant imo.

Similar players like Jones, Westwood get rated highly on here. Henderson is several levels higher than them. Henderson is one where he won’t get recognised for how good he is until he retires.

Probably about right that team tbh. Fernandes maybe not. But he has been superb since arriving. I’d probably have Grealish instead of him.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Thu May 07, 2020 9:32 pm

Dyched wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 9:22 pm
Henderson has grown to be a superb CM. He’s brilliant imo.

Similar players like Jones, Westwood get rated highly on here. Henderson is several levels higher than them. Henderson is one where he won’t get recognised for how good he is until he retires.

Probably about right that team tbh. Fernandes maybe not. But he has been superb since arriving. I’d probably have Grealish instead of him.
Fernandes has revitalised Man U,but how can someone who only arrived in England in January,seriously be considered in a team of the season,it makes a mockery of the poll,Grealish is a good shout,without him Villa would already be staring at relegation,and it's a lot harder to impress in a struggling side.

Henderson has been the heartbeat of the Liverpool title charge,it's only when he was out injured for a few games,that their form dipped,that can't be a coincidence.Outstanding captain as well,he must be a leading contender for the official POTY awards,whenever they take place.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1923 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Thu May 07, 2020 9:39 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 9:32 pm
Fernandes has revitalised Man U,but how can someone who only arrived in England in January,seriously be considered in a team of the season,it makes a mockery of the poll,Grealish is a good shout,without him Villa would already be staring at relegation,and it's a lot harder to impress in a struggling side.

Henderson has been the heartbeat of the Liverpool title charge,it's only when he was out injured for a few games,that their form dipped,that can't be a coincidence.Outstanding captain as well,he must be a leading contender for the official POTY awards,whenever they take place.
Yea like you say say it’s the lack of games he’s had counting against him. But he has made massive difference to Man Utd. Grealish has been brilliant. He seems a very calm lad too and captain.

These teams are always hard to do as on one hand you can have say Ings who’s having a super season and on the other Salah who hasn’t been at his best yet has still out scored and assisted Ings.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Thu May 07, 2020 9:46 pm

Dyched wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 9:39 pm
Yea like you say say it’s the lack of games he’s had counting against him. But he has made massive difference to Man Utd. Grealish has been brilliant. He seems a very calm lad too and captain.

These teams are always hard to do as on one hand you can have say Ings who’s having a super season and on the other Salah who hasn’t been at his best yet has still out scored and assisted Ings.
A lot of it's subjective of course,but i think it's fair to state that Salah has probably had more chances created for him at Liverpool,than Ings has had at Southampton,i don't have any figures to hand,but that's my general instinct,when you've got 2 of the best attacking full backs in European if not world football,plus Firmino and Mane,then your supply lines not bad.