Interest in a player?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Interest in a player?

Post by Tricky Trevor » Fri May 08, 2020 11:10 am

Samuel Grandsir. monaco winger currently out on loan.(TF1)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Grandsir

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1176 times
Has Liked: 635 times

Re: Interest in a player?

Post by Tribesmen » Fri May 08, 2020 12:18 pm

Yer i saw that one TT, strange or just his agent talking him up .

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri May 08, 2020 12:24 pm

I looked on youtube at a couple of goals he scored.

I can't make my mind up if he's slow or just times his runs into the box perfectly.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Fri May 08, 2020 12:30 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 12:24 pm
I looked on youtube at a couple of goals he scored.

I can't make my mind up if he's slow or just times his runs into the box perfectly.
Never mind that,can he track back?if the answer's no he'll be no good in a Dyche team.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Fri May 08, 2020 11:19 pm

Watched some YouTube footage. Looks okay. Nice to be linked to a player, to be honest.

Newcastle also interested, allegedly, but perhaps they’ll be bidding for Messi now!

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Fri May 08, 2020 11:26 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 11:19 pm
Watched some YouTube footage. Looks okay. Nice to be linked to a player, to be honest.

Amusing

I will never understand it.

dpinsussex
Been Liked: 1047 times
Has Liked: 1187 times

Post by dpinsussex » Fri May 08, 2020 11:34 pm

5 ft 7 right winger. Replacement for lennon?

Bin Ont Turf

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Fri May 08, 2020 11:40 pm

dpinsussex wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 11:34 pm
No, Heinrich Himmler.

huw.Y.WattfromWare
Been Liked: 1004 times
Has Liked: 905 times

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Fri May 08, 2020 11:42 pm

dpinsussex wrote:
Replacement for lennon?
Imagine.
This user liked this post: Andingle

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Fri May 08, 2020 11:46 pm

Bin Ont Turf wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 11:26 pm
Amusing

I will never understand it.
Care to elaborate?

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Fri May 08, 2020 11:49 pm

dpinsussex wrote:
Yes, looks like a young Lennon. Newcastle allegedly bid £13m in January. Would rather renew Lennon’s contract if that’s the case.

Rowls
Been Liked: 5065 times
Has Liked: 5124 times

Post by Rowls » Fri May 08, 2020 11:53 pm

He's 25 and playing in the French 2nd division.

Perhaps we really are after him and perhaps he really is that good.

But to put it into perspective, Max Gradel who couldn't quite cut it in the Championship is playing in the French first division.

I'm sceptical about this link.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2488 times
Has Liked: 761 times

Post by ksrclaret » Fri May 08, 2020 11:54 pm

Rowls wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 11:53 pm

But to put it into perspective, Max Gradel who couldn't quite cut it in the Championship is playing in the French first division.
That's not really put anything into perspective because it's not true.

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2103 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Post by bfccrazy » Sat May 09, 2020 12:00 am

Rowls wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 11:53 pm
He's 25 and playing in the French 2nd division.

Perhaps we really are after him and perhaps he really is that good.

I'm sceptical about this link.
Also into perspective, Mahrez was playing French 2nd division until he won the prem .....

Bin Ont Turf

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Sat May 09, 2020 12:01 am

NewClaret wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 11:46 pm
Care to elaborate?
Yes I would.

You said (after watching a Youtube video) that it was nice to be linked with a player. I don't understand that.

I can 'link' players if it helps you.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sat May 09, 2020 12:09 am

Bin Ont Turf wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 12:01 am
Yes I would.

You said (after watching a Youtube video) that it was nice to be linked with a player. I don't understand that.

I can 'link' players if it helps you.
Are you not interested who we might be signing?

Goobs
Been Liked: 1459 times
Has Liked: 992 times

Post by Goobs » Sat May 09, 2020 12:17 am

tiger76 wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 12:30 pm
Never mind that,can he track back?if the answer's no he'll be no good in a Dyche team.
What will that matter? If we are believing everything in the papers then Dyche will be at Aston Villa anyway.

Bin Ont Turf

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Sat May 09, 2020 12:24 am

NewClaret wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 12:09 am
Are you not interested who we might be signing?
Well yes, if we 'might' be signing him.

But it was just a 'link' earlier.

I do like his surname though.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sat May 09, 2020 12:28 am

Goobs wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 12:17 am
What will that matter? If we are believing everything in the papers then Dyche will be at Aston Villa anyway.
Don't read papers :)
This user liked this post: Goobs

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sat May 09, 2020 12:32 am

Bin Ont Turf wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 12:24 am
Well yes, if we 'might' be signing him.

But it was just a 'link' earlier.

I do like his surname though.
Thought the whole point was we might be signing him? Apparently an unnamed PL club bid for him in Jan?

Overall though, I prefer even the most tenuous transfer links to all the Covid talk on here.

Do tend to prefer us buying British though, with squad unity so tight.

Bin Ont Turf

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Sat May 09, 2020 12:48 am

NewClaret wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 12:32 am
Thought the whole point was we might be signing him? Apparently an unnamed PL club bid for him in Jan?

Overall though, I prefer even the most tenuous transfer links to all the Covid talk on here.

The point is. that just because a 'link' comes from a football or newspaper website, it doesn't mean that there's any more truth in it than if I started a 'link'.

It's not 'nice', and it's past my bed time.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sat May 09, 2020 1:24 am

NewClaret wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 12:32 am

I think I prefer all the fake links people on here make up when they're bored.

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Sat May 09, 2020 11:57 am

Samuel Grandsir

Apart from a couple of matches he has always played in front loaded attacking formations, primarily 4-2-3-1. So our battling 4-4-2 set up would be completely alien to him. More importantly, if we are working mainly off his recorded stats, they will tell us very little about how he might play in a different framework and league.

On the other hand, his overall stats aren't that good, so a change of formation might suit him.

He put in some good performances at Troyes, which is why a number of clubs expressed an interest in him. One of those clubs was Newcastle, but that was back in 2017. Monaco eventually signed him from Troyes in 2018 for €3m and he has struggled to step up to the demands of League 1.

The only stat worthy of any real interest is his ability to put in key passes. Everything else about him is fairly middling, he doesn't offer much defensively, he squanders more than his fair share of shots, he passes sideways quite a bit and his long passing is pretty poor.

https://www.sofascore.com/player/samuel-grandsir/839112

https://fbref.com/en/players/d2448564/Samuel-Grandsir

I can't imagine why we would be especially interested in signing him, to the point that we would be actively entering bids at this stage. Then again, with the exception of Brownhill, our recent transfer targets have demonstrated poor judgement ( in one respect or another ). I let out a contented sigh of relief when Man Utd signed Tahith Chong up to a new contract, because he had Right Wing Rigg signing written all over him. James Garner is real jewel in their current U23 squad, but I doubt they would sell him at any price.

The only player that should be interesting us from Monaco is the out of contract Moussa Sylla, but I suspect that he will go to another French team.
These 2 users liked this post: ecc NewClaret

ecc
Been Liked: 1394 times
Has Liked: 1272 times

Post by ecc » Sat May 09, 2020 12:03 pm

Thank you for providing a detailed write-up about him, Long Time Lurker.
This user liked this post: Long Time Lurker

Long Time Lurker

Post by Long Time Lurker » Sat May 09, 2020 1:37 pm

ecc wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 12:03 pm
Thank you for providing a detailed write-up about him, Long Time Lurker.
Thanks for that. It's nice to be appreciated. Considering the absence of football threads I've been toying with the idea of putting up my Tombola Transfer Picks again. I didn't bother in the last two windows ( other than a couple of names ) due to the backlash I got from some quarters, but based on the principle of anything football related is better than nothing it crossed my mind.

I was considering starting a thread about players of possible interest, pre faced by a bit of a ramble about statistical scouting, some of the tools that can be used and how to use them. I think looking at the statistical data for suggested players could serve as a new outlet for discussions and stimulate an improvement in the quality of any debates about their suitability. That is why I included the two links to some player stats for Grandsir in my last post.

Obviously WYSCOUT is being used by the club and that is available to anyone and everyone. A quick click on a link and a modest fee for the no frills stats package ( without video feeds and reports ) and you are up and running. It used to be priced around the £100 mark, but it seems to have jumped up quite a bit this year. It is well worth the price, but I'm of the opinion that most people with a casual interest in player scouting have better things to spend their money on.

Other paid for packages include Stasbomb and Instat.

The idea of looking at the performance statistics of players on the basis of transfer suggestions won't be of interest to everyone ( and perhaps nobody ), but the same free tools can also be used to look at the stats of our own players. I'm thinking that will be of interest to more people on here.

I will keep the list fairly short. These sites don't compare to a feature rich package like WYSCOUT, but they have the big advantage of being free which makes them accessible to anyone.

https://understat.com/team/Burnley/2019
https://www.premierleague.com/clubs/43/Burnley/stats

https://www.sofascore.com/team/football/burnley/6
https://fbref.com/en/squads/943e8050/Burnley

https://smarterscout.com/about

Long Time Lurker

Post by Long Time Lurker » Sat May 09, 2020 2:04 pm

Hmm, okay, just to try and get the ball rolling and gauge interest.

Tombola Players - Right Midfield / Right Wing

In respect to a new signing for the right wing my tombola list only features a couple of players. With JBG fit and firing I don't see it as a big priority - given the " up in the air " nature of the next window.

I think some people believe that we need to have the same forward surge on the right wing as Taylor and Mc Neill give us on the left. It's that old sexy attacking football desire rearing its head again. The same desire that usually costs the clubs that try to implement it quickly, or on a very limited budget, a very heavy price. Middlesbrough are currently suffering from trying to go down that road.

Personally, I don't think our Central Midfield is strong enough to support it. With Hendrick cutting in to add support and Bardsley playing smart and not consistently committing himself too far forward ( unlike Pieters who isn't and never will be an attacking wing back ) we can hold the centre ground. It also provides Mc Neill with the space and freedom he needs to play.

I'm worried that we could find ourselves over run in the middle of the pitch if we try to play like that on both wings with what we currently have. When fit, JBG gives us something very similar, but he is a more rounded player than the quick ( I don't get paid to put in a defensive contribution ) players that are sometimes suggested. If Hendrick leaves us then Brownhill could perform a similar role for us.

I don't have many players on my current Tombola list for the right wing slot. I've also picked players with a bias towards positional flexibility. That strikes me as a major weakness in our current squad.

Every player ( with the sole exception of Jeff ) pretty much has one position that they can play in. We then have a backup player who can play in the same position. If we had more players with positional flexibility it would increase our strength in depth, provide greater tactical options off the bench and more opportunities for those players to get game time.

Just as importantly if you have a player who can fulfil two or more roles for a single wage that is a big saving. Last season our wage bill increased by 5m and our recruitment department tripled in size. If we take that into account the opportunity to get extra value from any new signings is important.

We really should be lowering our wage bill not increasing it. If we can post a profit that is money we can put towards transfers, if we break even we stand still and if we post a loss our transfer kitty will get smaller as a result. That is the shape and size of things. A £10m profit every year would make things a lot easier for us and if Brentford can do that with the lure of Championship football then I really can't see why we can't do the same.

Even if we bring in players who aren't immediately ready for involvement in the first team we can always loan them to Championship clubs so the " buy for the first team " argument isn't wholly compelling.

Anthony Caci

Top of my list is Anthony Caci of R Strasborg. He is two footed and he has played LB/RB/LM/RM/DM and CB. I think it might be hard to prise him away from Strasborg, because I find it difficult to imagine that they don't realise how good he is. However, they do use him sparingly and in various playing positions. He doesn't appear to have a fixed starting slot so they could theoretically move him on. The interesting thing about him is that he plays well in all of those positions.

In terms of suitability for the Premier League I would say that his weakest position is CB. He has pace and doesn't shirk from a challenge, but he lacks the imposing physical presence required ( although he could gain it over time ). Then again he could fit the mould for a different type of defender should we need it. He also needs to learn when to fully commit to a challenge and when to stand off and apply pressure less directly.

Strasborg played him as a left back this season, because they didn't really have another option. If he came to us I think his best position would either be right back or right wing. Having a player like him on the books and bench would give us so many options going forward.

Anthony Caci is easily the top pick of my entire Tombola transfer list ( not just the right wing berth ) and I'm hoping that his name has at least been considered by our recruitment department. In terms of everything that he offers I think he is a better buy than Maehle would have been.

https://www.sofascore.com/player/anthony-caci/846471

https://fbref.com/en/players/0118c54c/Anthony-Caci

Angelo Fulgini

The second player on my pick list is Angelo Fulgini of SCO Angers. He is an important player for them and he is ( or was ) serving as the creative fulcrum of their central midfield. However, he has also played an equal number of games for them at both right midfield and right wing. His contract supposedly runs out in 2021 and Angers aren't a rich club so the opportunity to cash in might appeal to them.

His stats are a lot better than Grandsir and his positional flexibility means that he would give us all that Grandsir could offer us and a whole lot more.

https://www.sofascore.com/player/angelo-fulgini/787540

https://fbref.com/en/players/4b96c347/Angelo-Fulgini

Jed Wallace

Next on the list is Jed Wallace who has been consistently excellent for Millwall over the course of the last three seasons.

He seems to get better every year. Unlike the previous two players he wouldn't provide us with any additional positional flexibility, but being a Championship player he fits the mould for what is a more likely target for us. However, as we all know full well domestic players aren't cheap and Millwall will take some convincing to sell one of their key creators and goal scorers.

https://www.sofascore.com/player/jed-wallace/231646

https://fbref.com/en/players/45194ce9/Jed-Wallace

Juninho Bacuna

My next pick is a bit of a wild card, because he isn't a right midfielder or winger. It is Juninho Bacuna, Huddersfield's Central Midfielder. After watching him play he seems to have the qualities that those positions require and I'm a little puzzled that he hasn't been tried out on the right at any time. Although Huddersfield have played him on the left wing and at right back.

I think he could tick our box for a creative goal scoring midfielder and provide us with a valid option on the right wing.

https://www.sofascore.com/player/juninho-bacuna/788971

https://fbref.com/en/players/aaf1bf05/Juninho-Bacuna

Gyrano Kerk

The last player on my list is something of a statistical superstar. Unfortunately he is currently playing for FC Utrecht in the Eredivisie league. That means his attacking numbers should be taken with a big grain of salt ( because the Eredivisie teams appear to believe that quality defending is optional ).

His name is Gyrano Kerk. Celtic made a last ditch deadline day bid for him in the last window, which was rejected, but I don't think that is grounds for marking him as unavailable. In response to that failed bid the club expressed surprise that nobody else had come calling. Kerk stated that he wanted to finish out the season with FC Utrecht and while joining a Scottish club didn't appeal to him he would welcome a move to an English club.

Given the style of football played in the Eridivise, and its potential for overvaluing a players attacking worth, Kerk fills the slot for my risky after thought punt. However, he might appeal to any superficial number crunches and his all out attacking play could find favour with some people.

In respect to my positional flexibility requirement he has only recently transitioned over to the right wing. Prior to that he made 86 appearances as a centre forward, registering a total of 19 goals and 19 assists. Playing as a right winger he has notched up 12 goals and 14 assists in 39 games.

https://www.sofascore.com/player/gyrano-kerk/386950

https://fbref.com/en/players/eb907bfc/Gyrano-Kerk

huw.Y.WattfromWare
Been Liked: 1004 times
Has Liked: 905 times

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Sat May 09, 2020 2:58 pm

Long Time Lurker.
“Personally, I don't think our Central Midfield is strong enough to support it. With Hendrick cutting in to add support and Bardsley playing smart and not consistently committing himself too far forward ( unlike Pieters who isn't and never will be an attacking wing back ) we can hold the centre ground. It also provides Mc Neill with the space and freedom he needs to play.”

That would be correct if both widemen are going all the way and making us 4-4-2. I would hope they are coached that when one side goes the other flank drops back to make us 4-3-3.
Until JBG gets a run of matches under his belt there will continue to be doubts about his fitness. He has started to look a little papier mache.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sat May 09, 2020 6:42 pm

Long Time Lurker wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 11:57 am
Samuel Grandsir

Apart from a couple of matches he has always played in front loaded attacking formations, primarily 4-2-3-1. So our battling 4-4-2 set up would be completely alien to him. More importantly, if we are working mainly off his recorded stats, they will tell us very little about how he might play in a different framework and league.

On the other hand, his overall stats aren't that good, so a change of formation might suit him.

He put in some good performances at Troyes, which is why a number of clubs expressed an interest in him. One of those clubs was Newcastle, but that was back in 2017. Monaco eventually signed him from Troyes in 2018 for €3m and he has struggled to step up to the demands of League 1.

The only stat worthy of any real interest is his ability to put in key passes. Everything else about him is fairly middling, he doesn't offer much defensively, he squanders more than his fair share of shots, he passes sideways quite a bit and his long passing is pretty poor.

https://www.sofascore.com/player/samuel-grandsir/839112

https://fbref.com/en/players/d2448564/Samuel-Grandsir

I can't imagine why we would be especially interested in signing him, to the point that we would be actively entering bids at this stage. Then again, with the exception of Brownhill, our recent transfer targets have demonstrated poor judgement ( in one respect or another ). I let out a contented sigh of relief when Man Utd signed Tahith Chong up to a new contract, because he had Right Wing Rigg signing written all over him. James Garner is real jewel in their current U23 squad, but I doubt they would sell him at any price.

The only player that should be interesting us from Monaco is the out of contract Moussa Sylla, but I suspect that he will go to another French team.
Thanks.