ARTICLE: 1987 and nearly the abyss

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32237 times
Has Liked: 5253 times

ARTICLE: 1987 and nearly the abyss

Post by ClaretTony » Sat May 09, 2020 6:56 pm

Article from rodleydave / davet which takes us into 1987 and the Orient game

See link
https://www.uptheclarets.com/1987-and-nearly-the-abyss

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Re: ARTICLE: 1987 and nearly the abyss

Post by tim_noone » Sat May 09, 2020 7:16 pm

People on here are thinking same ...if we dont play again this season regards all the millions we could be short.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1175 times
Has Liked: 918 times

Post by Hipper » Sun May 10, 2020 9:43 am

This article has an air of Proust about it - a lot of waffle trying to set the stage, which to me anyway was of little interest, and then a little about what the article is supposed to be about!

(I'm not trying to sound pompous but I made an attempt to read 'In Search of Lost Time' by Marcel Proust. It was described by some as the greatest novel of the twentieth century so I thought I should check it out. It's a book of six volumes. As an example why I gave up with it, in one chapter he writes about his anticipation of meeting a girl. He goes on and on about all the possibilities that might happen - much like many a boy would perhaps. After this what we need is him to tell us what actually happened, some analysis, but all we get is more or less 'I met the girl'. At that point I quit.)

Rodleydave
Been Liked: 263 times
Has Liked: 101 times

Post by Rodleydave » Sun May 10, 2020 10:02 am

just a bit of nostalgia Hipper... it's lockdown... something to while away half an hour... wait til I get to 1992... (smiley)
These 2 users liked this post: Hipper jrtod61

Jeremy_Bentham
Been Liked: 194 times
Has Liked: 78 times

Post by Jeremy_Bentham » Sun May 10, 2020 10:16 am

“To cut a long story short”

. felt like the writer of the article was mocking him when he saw that line used.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun May 10, 2020 11:17 am

Each to his own, I really enjoyed it Dave, cheers.

I envy your ability to recall so much from your past. I consider myself fairly bright, but I have a memory for facts, but sadly not events. I wish I had kept a diary, as the good and bad of my life would have made a fascinating read. When people share their memories of the Turf, mine are sadly lacking, even though I was there. The occasional extra special goal like Ralph Coates agains West Ham, Ian Brennan against Liverpool, or Super Taffs against Everton, but mostly it's just the general atmosphere of the Longside and the occasion rather than the event. There's probably a term for it somewhere, but I live more for the present than the past, yet I'm very nostalgic. The enigma of Colburn Claret.

Keep it up Dave, I find your articles a real bright spot of the board.
This user liked this post: jrtod61

Suratclaret
Been Liked: 332 times
Has Liked: 787 times

Post by Suratclaret » Sun May 10, 2020 11:42 am

Another enjoyable read Dave. As I mentioned on another thread, illness prevented me from going to the Orient game but the tension in the town was obvious and palpable. To look back from where we are now shows what an incredible journey its been.
I always enjoy your teaching memories. My late ex wife taught in Leeds and then Rochdale and always said that she could cope with the children quite well but it was the parents who caused her the most problems, not least in Rochdale where the only saving grace was that the comedian Jimmy Cricket's children attended and he used to call in frequently.
Look forward to your next contribution.

ashtonlongsider
Been Liked: 493 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ashtonlongsider » Sun May 10, 2020 12:12 pm

Another brilliant perceptive article DT. The intertwining of events from your life and work with your love of Burnley are fascinating to read. We are blessed, and it helps to make 'lockdown' bearable.

Rodleydave
Been Liked: 263 times
Has Liked: 101 times

Post by Rodleydave » Sun May 10, 2020 1:32 pm

Colburn...All these memory lane things were written 12 years or so ago... my memory was better then...
Oh Jimmy Cricket...wonderful. Brighten any day up.
The nearest I got to a celeb was a signed pic from Billy Pearce cos he used to call at the video shop where one of the mums worked.
I got a dozen of these pieces stored away and the intention was a book...but I got to 2000 and after that realised that once retired... the anecdotes were few and far between... it was always school that provided the funny stuff.

No Ney Never
Been Liked: 894 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by No Ney Never » Sun May 10, 2020 2:40 pm

Missed the game yesterday, a bit busy. Just watched it today, not as difficult a watch as I thought it would be after witnessing some of the dire performances of this season.

How much better is the atmosphere with standing and a bouncing longside?

Coverage wise, it was actually more engaging without all the time wasting that goes on with throw ins and goal kicks. Perhaps going forward, if the clock stopped when the ball goes out of play, we may get our monies worth of football.

Phil Bird's commentary is very poor in that he doesn't convey any of the anxiety, the tension, the desperation, etc that we all felt that day. Far from adding to the fixture, he takes away all of the emotions we felt at the time. I muted the volume for the second half, preferring to go off my memories to add some feeling to the occasion.

With the Orient game being BFC's day of remembrance, it should be celebrated with Claret and Blue poppies, all proceeds going to our community charity.

Dazzler
Been Liked: 874 times
Has Liked: 2332 times

Post by Dazzler » Sun May 10, 2020 4:29 pm

On Boxing Day that year Burnley drew 2–2 away at Wrexham and the day after beat Crewe 4–0 at home. It made them a comfortable 16th in the table. No-one could have thought what lay ahead by the end of the season.
A week or so earlier Lincoln were in 7th,a comfortable looking 20 points above Stockport who were bottom.