BHA

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3181 times

Re: BHA

Post by Paul Waine » Mon May 11, 2020 5:27 pm

aggi wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 4:45 pm
Personally I think it's fair enough that clubs have reservations about finishing the season with substantially different rules than those applied to the first three quarters of the season.
Really, aggi. So, you'd support the club signing up to Premier League rules and committing to paying Premier League wages, but only on the condition that if something happens that significantly impacts the season they can claim "no sporting integrity" so, our club can't be relegated?

What does that type of attitude do to "sporting integrity" including finishing the season and relegation - and promotion for the clubs that have earned promotion from the league below?

aggi
Been Liked: 2119 times

Post by aggi » Mon May 11, 2020 5:47 pm

Top Claret wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 5:03 pm
I really can't imagine a Premier leagues bird or wife working as a nurse or a care assistant, if she does she should not be living with a premier league footballer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnFAOEZboq4

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3157 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Mon May 11, 2020 5:50 pm

doesn't really matter now as the FA has told Premier League - one way or another there will be relegation - it is one of the few written agreements between FA, EFL and Premier League when the formation of Premier League was sanctioned along with guarantee of participation in the League cup

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foo ... 08601.html
These 2 users liked this post: FactualFrank Paul Waine

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Mon May 11, 2020 6:08 pm

aggi wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 5:47 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnFAOEZboq4
:lol: :lol: that's gonna do the rounds now!

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32526 times
Has Liked: 5276 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon May 11, 2020 6:12 pm

Well Paul Barber & Brighton have got their way - more than half of the clubs have apparently said no to neutral venues

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3106 times
Has Liked: 3823 times

Post by NewClaret » Mon May 11, 2020 6:16 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 6:12 pm
Well Paul Barber & Brighton have got their way - more than half of the clubs have apparently said no to neutral venues
Really? Wow!

aggi

Post by aggi » Mon May 11, 2020 6:21 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 5:27 pm
Really, aggi. So, you'd support the club signing up to Premier League rules and committing to paying Premier League wages, but only on the condition that if something happens that significantly impacts the season they can claim "no sporting integrity" so, our club can't be relegated?

What does that type of attitude do to "sporting integrity" including finishing the season and relegation - and promotion for the clubs that have earned promotion from the league below?
I think you've kind of said it in your post. The club sign up to the Premier League rules and if, within those rules, there are mechanisms along the lines of those being proposed to finish the season then so be it.

If, on the other hand, there are fairly fundamental changes which hadn't been provided for, such as the rules on substitutions and venues, then I think it's fair that the clubs who feel they may be disadvantaged by those rules consider whether it's reasonable to carry on under them.

Sporting integrity obviously means different things to different people. For me I wouldn't have a huge issue with the view "there's bigger stuff going on at the moment, any way we finish the league will be a compromise, let's just write it off and start afresh when we can do it properly" but obviously others wouldn't agree with that.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Mon May 11, 2020 6:21 pm

"The government is understood to have "open ears" regarding neutral venues and is prepared to discuss the matter. However a final decision is likely to rest with the police and ground safety officials, who have to grant licences to venues."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52579299

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Mon May 11, 2020 6:39 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 5:19 pm
Why shouldn't a nurse or care assistant live with a Premier League footballer?
What I meant was that due to the virus they should be living apart. Premier league footballers are expensive commodities and need to be kept fit so they are free to kick into action when needed

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6957 times
Has Liked: 1482 times

Post by Rileybobs » Mon May 11, 2020 6:55 pm

Top Claret wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 6:39 pm
What I meant was that due to the virus they should be living apart. Premier league footballers are expensive commodities and need to be kept fit so they are free to kick into action when needed
There are plenty of professions where people are more required to be fit to kick into action when needed than footballers.

And where exactly would you suggest that they live if not in their house?

Stayingup
Been Liked: 921 times
Has Liked: 2753 times

Post by Stayingup » Mon May 11, 2020 7:24 pm

Barber even cited the 'DAUNTING' prospect of his players having to deal with the unfamiliarity of an away 'home' dressing room. Aw the poor lambs. He seems not to realize all the teams will have to bear this 'TRAUMA'. No wonder this irritating club is so unpopular

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Mon May 11, 2020 7:39 pm

The wet whingers of The Premier League. Hopefully they will get relegated. I’m sure they must have once been a decent sort of club.

dsr
Been Liked: 4577 times
Has Liked: 2268 times

Post by dsr » Mon May 11, 2020 7:49 pm

Spijed wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 6:21 pm
"The government is understood to have "open ears" regarding neutral venues and is prepared to discuss the matter. However a final decision is likely to rest with the police and ground safety officials, who have to grant licences to venues."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52579299
The ideal situation would be for the Premier League to accept the principle of teams using their own grounds wherever possible; the government accepting this; and Brighton, Watford and Bournemouth failing to get safety certificates from the local police. I'm laughing just imagining it. If only ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

dsr

Post by dsr » Mon May 11, 2020 7:52 pm

aggi wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 6:21 pm
I think you've kind of said it in your post. The club sign up to the Premier League rules and if, within those rules, there are mechanisms along the lines of those being proposed to finish the season then so be it.

If, on the other hand, there are fairly fundamental changes which hadn't been provided for, such as the rules on substitutions and venues, then I think it's fair that the clubs who feel they may be disadvantaged by those rules consider whether it's reasonable to carry on under them.

Sporting integrity obviously means different things to different people. For me I wouldn't have a huge issue with the view "there's bigger stuff going on at the moment, any way we finish the league will be a compromise, let's just write it off and start afresh when we can do it properly" but obviously others wouldn't agree with that.
"When we can do it properly" means when there is a vaccine. Pointless writing off this season and then starting another one while the same problems exist; we can't keep on writing off season after season, all meaningless. Finishing season after season at odd times while doing our best to be as normal as possible, is better than a round of starting, giving up, starting, giving up ...

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3181 times

Post by Paul Waine » Mon May 11, 2020 11:00 pm

The Times, online, 5pm today

Season will not be voided and relegation won’t be scrapped, says FA chairman Greg Clarke

The FA chairman Greg Clarke told Premier League chairmen today that the governing body will not sanction the season being voided or relegation being scrapped and urged the chairmen to draw up a plan for if the season cannot be completed.

The FA has wide-ranging powers as a “special shareholder” as part of the agreement when the Premier League was created in 1991, and that includes being able to veto any proposed changes to promotion and relegation.

Clarke told the top-flight clubs that the 2019-20 season had to be resolved on the basis of sporting merit even if all the matches cannot be played — though the intention is for the remaining games to be played behind closed doors from June 12.

The FA’s ability to intervene stems from the Founder Members Agreement in 1991 which established the Premier League as separate from the Football League but still maintained certain powers for the governing body.

Paragraph 7.2.4 of the agreement states the FA has to consent to “any amendment to, removal of or waiver of (a) the name of the League (b) the number of members and promotion to and relegation from the League (c) the criteria for membership of the League”.

The FA also has the power over European qualification because it is the national association which submits representative teams to play in the Champions League and Europa League, not the Premier League.

aggi

Post by aggi » Mon May 11, 2020 11:58 pm

dsr wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 7:52 pm
"When we can do it properly" means when there is a vaccine. Pointless writing off this season and then starting another one while the same problems exist; we can't keep on writing off season after season, all meaningless. Finishing season after season at odd times while doing our best to be as normal as possible, is better than a round of starting, giving up, starting, giving up ...
Well if we're still banning mass gatherings and living in fear of people catching coronavirus in a few years time then there will probably be other things to worry about.

Doing it properly doesn't necessarily mean what we had for most of this season. It can also be having solid contingency plans that clubs are aware of and can factor into their planning.

dsr

Post by dsr » Tue May 12, 2020 12:10 am

aggi wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 11:58 pm
Well if we're still banning mass gatherings and living in fear of people catching coronavirus in a few years time then there will probably be other things to worry about.

Doing it properly doesn't necessarily mean what we had for most of this season. It can also be having solid contingency plans that clubs are aware of and can factor into their planning.
Solid contingency plans would be lovely. But I don't think you can have a solid contingency plan for a situation where you don't know whether you can have 12 months' football in the year or no months, or any number in between, and you never get more than a month's notice (and that only provisional) of whether you can play next month.

You need a solid plan, for example, for if you get to January and there is a second lockdown which is said to be only for three weeks but turns out to be 8. Another sold plan if this happens in November but is clear by Christmas. Another one for a lockdown said to be 2 months but is actually only 3 weeks. Another for if they allow limited number of fans in the grounds. Another for if the government says we can start in July but puts it off for a month, then another month, then another month, then another month, then another month ...

Basically, you can't have any solid contingency plans for more than a month in these circumstances.

There's bits of things they could do. Specifically, it comes to mind, they could establish that if they do have to decide the league on points per game, whether they will do it on total games or home-and-away weighting. At present it's a popularity contest between West Ham (1 vote for total ppg) and Bournemouth (1 vote for weighted average ppg) with the other 18 teams deciding who they like least. That could be fun!

the_magic_rat
Been Liked: 76 times
Has Liked: 273 times

Post by the_magic_rat » Tue May 12, 2020 8:50 am

I read in Friday's "i" that an anonymous poll among our squad resulted in a unanimous vote to return to playing as soon as practical.

I suspect the mindset of players and coaching staff on football's return will have a big influence on the outcome of the remaining fixtures. I wouldn't be surprised to see us finish even higher than we are now.

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Tue May 12, 2020 8:56 am

the_magic_rat wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 8:50 am
I read in Friday's "i" that an anonymous poll among our squad resulted in a unanimous vote to return to playing as soon as practical.

I suspect the mindset of players and coaching staff on football's return will have a big influence on the outcome of the remaining fixtures. I wouldn't be surprised to see us finish even higher than we are now.
The irony, Burnley make it to the champions league but fans won’t be able to attend... :D

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Tue May 12, 2020 8:57 am

the_magic_rat wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 8:50 am

You'd hope so, in sharp contrast to Danny Rose. You'd hate to have him alongside you in the trenches!

TVC15
Been Liked: 3322 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Tue May 12, 2020 9:35 am

Now it has been confirmed by the government that the rest of this season if played would have to be played behind closed doors Brighton have announced the refund policy for season ticket holders / hospitality etc.

https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/n ... nformation

dsr

Post by dsr » Tue May 12, 2020 10:25 am

Spijed wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 8:57 am
You'd hope so, in sharp contrast to Danny Rose. You'd hate to have him alongside you in the trenches!
Look on the bright side - Kyle Walker will have no qualms about playing. He snaps his fingers at social distancing!
This user liked this post: Spijed

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3157 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Tue May 12, 2020 10:46 am

Spijed wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 8:57 am
Meanwhile last week he kept hearing and reading that his heritage means that he is 2 to 4 times more likely to die from the virus than his white colleagues or every single owner of a Premier League club - I must say I have a high level of empathy for his perspective. In the trenches bullets, grenades and mortars do not discriminate in that way.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Tue May 12, 2020 10:50 am

Chester Perry wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 10:46 am
Meanwhile last week he kept hearing and reading that his heritage means that he is 2 to 4 times more likely to die from the virus than his white colleagues or every single owner of a Premier League club - I must say I have a high level of empathy for his perspective. In the trenches bullets, grenades and mortars do not discriminate in that way.
Tbf, that seems to be linked with how black people live in closer communities rather than any medical evidence (blood groups etc.)

aggi

Post by aggi » Tue May 12, 2020 11:41 am

dsr wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 12:10 am
Solid contingency plans would be lovely. But I don't think you can have a solid contingency plan for a situation where you don't know whether you can have 12 months' football in the year or no months, or any number in between, and you never get more than a month's notice (and that only provisional) of whether you can play next month.

You need a solid plan, for example, for if you get to January and there is a second lockdown which is said to be only for three weeks but turns out to be 8. Another sold plan if this happens in November but is clear by Christmas. Another one for a lockdown said to be 2 months but is actually only 3 weeks. Another for if they allow limited number of fans in the grounds. Another for if the government says we can start in July but puts it off for a month, then another month, then another month, then another month, then another month ...

Basically, you can't have any solid contingency plans for more than a month in these circumstances.

There's bits of things they could do. Specifically, it comes to mind, they could establish that if they do have to decide the league on points per game, whether they will do it on total games or home-and-away weighting. At present it's a popularity contest between West Ham (1 vote for total ppg) and Bournemouth (1 vote for weighted average ppg) with the other 18 teams deciding who they like least. That could be fun!
You couldn't cover every eventuality but you could cover a lot more than rules that were made with no knowledge of the virus. It could encapsulate stuff such as neutral venues, testing, how many players needed to have the virus from a team before a match is postponed/abandoned, tie in to the coronavirus alert level, set time frames for when they'd be introduced, substitute rules and, importantly as you say, decide what happens if it can't be completed.

The West Ham and Bournemouth scenario is a good illustatration as to why you shouldn't make the decision whilst the season is ongoing.

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1749 times
Has Liked: 273 times

Post by agreenwood » Thu May 14, 2020 8:13 pm

Brighton wheeled the manager out today, just in case anyone was thinking they were coming round to idea of playing.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3863 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu May 14, 2020 8:42 pm

We should be relegating that odious club this weekend.
This user liked this post: Jeffbfc

Local cricketer
Been Liked: 412 times
Has Liked: 87 times

Post by Local cricketer » Thu May 14, 2020 11:06 pm

agreenwood wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 8:13 pm
Brighton wheeled the manager out today, just in case anyone was thinking they were coming round to idea of playing.
And the managers wife is comparing it to NHS Staff having to go to work. Send them back to Gillingham

dsr

Post by dsr » Thu May 14, 2020 11:11 pm

If there are say 200,000 people going to work in Brighton next month, I wonder how many of the 200,000 are at lower risk of becoming seriously ill than the 20-35 year old fit young men who are being tested twice a week, as are everyone they will meet at work? It can't be so many.
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

kritichris
Been Liked: 135 times
Has Liked: 179 times

Post by kritichris » Thu May 14, 2020 11:43 pm

I think I'd rather play a game of footie for 90 mins than work in a supermarket (or drive a bus etc) all week.

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3964 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Thu May 14, 2020 11:49 pm

kritichris wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 11:43 pm
I think I'd rather play a game of footie for 90 mins than work in a supermarket (or drive a bus etc) all week.
Sadly my legs wouldn't last 90 minutes nowadays, but I agree with the point. (To add to your list - of course - a 12 hour shift in the NHS).
This user liked this post: kritichris

Jeffbfc
Been Liked: 443 times
Has Liked: 260 times

Post by Jeffbfc » Fri May 15, 2020 7:48 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 8:42 pm
We should be relegating that odious club this weekend.
That would be the perfect end of the season, but who knows it may still happen.
Just unfortunately will have to watch it on tv if it does go ahead.
UTC