Project Management Qualification

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
MRG
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 154 times

Project Management Qualification

Post by MRG » Sun May 10, 2020 8:46 pm

A relative is considering moving into the world of Project Management as a career. He is looking at a range of qualifications. Which qualification is though of as the gold standard?

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Re: Project Management Qualification

Post by Zlatan » Sun May 10, 2020 8:47 pm

Prince-2 if memory serves

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun May 10, 2020 8:53 pm

I have Prince 2 but I would say this is a bit old hat nowadays.

I would look at something more Agile focused with disciplines such as Scrum and Kanban. I have a Scrum qualification but its not one of the main universally recognised accreditations
This user liked this post: timel0veandtendayi

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Sun May 10, 2020 8:53 pm

MRG wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 8:46 pm
A relative is considering moving into the world of Project Management as a career. He is looking at a range of qualifications. Which qualification is though of as the gold standard?
I've heard a lot of people state they have PRINCE2. I think most of these were working in IT - but I don't know if PRINCE2 is specific to IT or can apply to any project, including construction/building as well as IT projects.

Most important qualification I'd suggest is knowing your subject and having multiple occasions of delivering successful projects. So, if it is IT, then know what you need to know about IT - and given it is IT, keep learning as things change. Then extend your IT knowledge to how to run IT projects. The same if it's an engineering construction project, become a very good engineer first and then build on those skills while managing your part of the project and so on.

timel0veandtendayi
Been Liked: 28 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by timel0veandtendayi » Sun May 10, 2020 8:54 pm

APM PMQ is still the main one but Prince 2 is fairly equal too. If he's starting out and wants to get his qualifications before a job then do one of them, then look into Agile methodology courses. Loads of organisations love Agile stuff.
This user liked this post: Devils_Advocate

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun May 10, 2020 8:57 pm

I manage the business side of projects and Prince 2 is as applicable to that just as much as the IT side.

There is nothing to substitute experience as theory is simply just that but if you are looking for a qualification to help get you foot in the door and get into that kind of career then Agile methodology is definitely the way to go

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Sun May 10, 2020 8:58 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 8:53 pm
I have Prince 2 but I would say this is a bit old hat nowadays.

I would look at something more Agile focused with disciplines such as Scrum and Kanban. I have a Scrum qualification but its not one of the main universally recognised accreditations
Interesting DA, something we have (a little) in common. I introduced Kanban in my team last year, though all our activities were in non-IT areas. One of my reasons was that all our firm's IT projects used Agile and 3 week scrums, plus Kanban boards. Adapting Kanban for my team gave them all the chance to learn about agile/Kanban/scrums - which would be important for as they developed their careers.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun May 10, 2020 9:04 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 8:58 pm
Interesting DA, something we have (a little) in common. I introduced Kanban in my team last year, though all our activities were in non-IT areas. One of my reasons was that all our firm's IT projects used Agile and 3 week scrums, plus Kanban boards. Adapting Kanban for my team gave them all the chance to learn about agile/Kanban/scrums - which would be important for as they developed their careers.
Yep my knowledge and skills around Scrum and Kanban isnt great because my company has only started to shift towards it properly in the last 12 months and it is being primarily used in the IT side whereas I am more the business side

I did a course as when we are delivering large technical change into businesses I need to work closely with my IT counterpart PM and therefore interact with the Scrum teams so need to have some skills and understanding
This user liked this post: Paul Waine

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Sun May 10, 2020 9:09 pm

For a historical aspect and to reinforce understanding reading up on Deming would do them some good. Most of the business improvement philosophies and qualifications in use today have roots in Deming’s work. I remember having to read up on it for my degree (albeit 30 years ago), and every tool I’ve seen used in business whilst working I can relate to his work and theories.
This user liked this post: basil6345789

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Sun May 10, 2020 9:11 pm

I’ve got various PM qualifications dating back to SPM, Prince 2 and APM. By the time Agile / scrum became more commonplace I’d moved back into the business and was mainly undertaking sponsor or steering group roles.

Really depends where you are looking to work but agile is becoming more of a prerequisite lots of companies are looking for now. I know an ex colleague who runs courses / qualifications in agile / scrum if you want me to send you details.

I also agree subject matter expertise is more important than qualifications but lots of employers don’t and in theory I can see their point as many people in the business understand their areas of expertise but have no clue how to deliver a piece of work.
This user liked this post: KateR

MRG

Post by MRG » Sun May 10, 2020 9:19 pm

TVC15 wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 9:11 pm
I’ve got various PM qualifications dating back to SPM, Prince 2 and APM. By the time Agile / scrum became more commonplace I’d moved back into the business and was mainly undertaking sponsor or steering group roles.

Really depends where you are looking to work but agile is becoming more of a prerequisite lots of companies are looking for now. I know an ex colleague who runs courses / qualifications in agile / scrum if you want me to send you details.

I also agree subject matter expertise is more important than qualifications but lots of employers don’t and in theory I can see their point as many people in the business understand their areas of expertise but have no clue how to deliver a piece of work.
Yes his details would be a great help

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1780 times
Has Liked: 1777 times

Post by dougcollins » Sun May 10, 2020 9:19 pm

I went on an Agile in course in Leeds, we built a dinosaur from lego.

No substitute for experience, but bear in mind it's nowhere near as complicated as some would like to make out.

MRG

Post by MRG » Sun May 10, 2020 9:20 pm

My summary of the above is that Prince2 is a solid qualification but Agile seems to be where things are heading in the future. Would that be fair?

KateR
Been Liked: 1018 times
Has Liked: 6157 times

Post by KateR » Sun May 10, 2020 9:21 pm

there are many form of PM's and it requires narrowing down to what is the end goal in terms of project management including what industry, plus vision should be identified for long term planning, as in terms what do you ultimately want to be when you grow up. Qualifications are good and in many places a requirement to entry but as noted experience is always key as to where you eventually go, sometimes with changes along the way.

I was always taught that we all grow to the level of our incompetence but occasionally some people just do not want to go any further and are happy in what they are doing while others continually strive to the next goal.

PMP is well recognized but some people want to go further and do PgMP, PfMP, CAMP, PMI-PBA and so on, some people are more focused on the certification and learning rather actually doing.

MRG

Post by MRG » Sun May 10, 2020 9:34 pm

KateR wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 9:21 pm
there are many form of PM's and it requires narrowing down to what is the end goal in terms of project management including what industry, plus vision should be identified for long term planning, as in terms what do you ultimately want to be when you grow up. Qualifications are good and in many places a requirement to entry but as noted experience is always key as to where you eventually go, sometimes with changes along the way.

I was always taught that we all grow to the level of our incompetence but occasionally some people just do not want to go any further and are happy in what they are doing while others continually strive to the next goal.

PMP is well recognized but some people want to go further and do PgMP, PfMP, CAMP, PMI-PBA and so on, some people are more focused on the certification and learning rather actually doing.
This is to be used in a medical device setting for a middle manager on a sales team who is looking to future proof in the industry ie he doesn’t want to spend his life chasing sales

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Sun May 10, 2020 9:37 pm

MRG wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 9:19 pm
Yes his details would be a great help
If you let me know your email I can send you his contact details and will let him know you will be in touch

KateR
Been Liked: 1018 times
Has Liked: 6157 times

Post by KateR » Sun May 10, 2020 9:53 pm

MRG wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 9:34 pm
This is to be used in a medical device setting for a middle manager on a sales team who is looking to future proof in the industry ie he doesn’t want to spend his life chasing sales
I have no credibility in advising in this field of business and therefore a lot of research is required beyond this message board and important factors such as it is a 3 year course or a 3 week course that is the ambition, in regard to your statement it is critical to keep the sales path in mind because someone has to sell it in the end or there is no business but I get the thought.

What is the PMP?
Wherever you are in your career, the globally recognized Project Management Professional (PMP) certification tells employers, peers, and the world you know what you’re doing in project management.

Even if “project manager” isn’t part of your title, the PMP applies to anyone who helps bring a project to completion. Just like a CPA validates expertise for accountants, the PMP recognizes your ability to manage projects—and the hard work you’ve done so far.

How to Get the PMP
Earning your PMP Certification is a commitment, and that's why it is valuable. Do you have real-world project management experience that's led to success? Great—you’ve finished the hardest part. Before you apply, make sure you meet of the following sets of PMP Certification requirements:

A four-year degree
Three years leading projects
35 hours of project management education/training or CAPM® Certification

This all depends on whether someone wants to work while getting a degree or will be a full time student, had quite a few colleagues go further and get MBA's online while still working

Hope everything works out for him.
Last edited by KateR on Tue May 12, 2020 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MRG

Post by MRG » Mon May 11, 2020 12:07 am

Thanks Kate
This user liked this post: KateR