Future of politics

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
jackmiggins
Been Liked: 197 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Future of politics

Post by jackmiggins » Tue May 12, 2020 11:44 am

Does anyone agree that we should increase MP’s salary........on the proviso that they have no link whatsoever from any commercial interest (including family members)?

Rowls
Been Liked: 5096 times
Has Liked: 5156 times

Re: Future of politics

Post by Rowls » Tue May 12, 2020 11:53 am

No

claretblue
Been Liked: 1835 times
Has Liked: 962 times

Post by claretblue » Tue May 12, 2020 11:56 am

I think they should all have paper rounds!
This user liked this post: basil6345789

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3147 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Tue May 12, 2020 12:15 pm

I would like them to have some experience of life outside of politics first - too many of the current crop are straight from university into think tanks or party jobs and then wanting to be MP's - often forced onto constituencies by their parties.

I believe this indoctrination of thought has led to a more divisive and extremist parliament, where anyone who takes a centre position is ridiculed and lambasted. Our country is poorer for the overall lack of empathy for other perspectives, it is a huge detriment to society.
These 13 users liked this post: huw.Y.WattfromWare jackmiggins boatshed bill GodIsADeeJay81 FCBurnley LeadBelly Zlatan Caballo Ashingtonclaret46 IanMcL Billy Balfour Paul Waine ten bellies

huw.Y.WattfromWare
Been Liked: 1004 times
Has Liked: 905 times

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Tue May 12, 2020 12:21 pm

Spot on Chester. These people come out of Uni with no moral compass. They have just passed a course on how to make an argument without a care to the value of that argument.
This user liked this post: jackmiggins

dsr
Been Liked: 4570 times
Has Liked: 2259 times

Post by dsr » Tue May 12, 2020 12:25 pm

jackmiggins wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 11:44 am
Does anyone agree that we should increase MP’s salary........on the proviso that they have no link whatsoever from any commercial interest (including family members)?
No. The idea that people who have run successful businesses or who own property should be excluded from government has no merit in my view.

The idea that people who have family members who have run successful businesses is even more oddball. How could you stop that, and why would you want to?

jackmiggins

Post by jackmiggins » Tue May 12, 2020 12:30 pm

Not suggesting they shouldn’t be successful, just that these interests don’t detract from their opinions in government

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Tue May 12, 2020 12:31 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 12:15 pm
I would like them to have some experience of life outside of politics first - too many of the current crop are straight from university into think tanks or party jobs and then wanting to be MP's - often forced onto constituencies by their parties.

I believe this indoctrination of thought has led to a more divisive and extremist parliament, where anyone who takes a centre position is ridiculed and lambasted. Our country is poorer for the overall lack of empathy for other perspectives, it is a huge detriment to society.
Agree with a lot of this,far too many MP'S now view politics as a career,and working their way up the greasy pole,rather than as a public duty.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3155 times
Has Liked: 6742 times

Post by boatshed bill » Tue May 12, 2020 12:53 pm

I'd cull them....

By natural wastage, not actually killing them :D

650 is far too many. i'm thinking more like 2-5 per county depending on population, and a few extra seats in the biggest of our cities.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue May 12, 2020 12:53 pm

I think that the PM should earn more than any council official for starters.

Also agree with everything Chester has said.

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1997 times
Has Liked: 1141 times

Post by FCBurnley » Tue May 12, 2020 1:21 pm

Chester Perry wrote:

Excellent post. It applies not only in the UK but also in America. It is even worse in America where lobbying is openly bribery and where many Senators and House members tend to serve for very long terms

jackmiggins

Post by jackmiggins » Tue May 12, 2020 1:28 pm

Just wonder also, how many have actually met and talked to their MPs? I don’t know anyone that has, but do know that ours has a surgery, 20 miles away up to six times a year. Slightly absent, I’d say?

pushpinpussy
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 134 times

Post by pushpinpussy » Tue May 12, 2020 1:40 pm

I’m extremely surprised that certain members of this board have not started a political party as they claim to know more about politics than anyone

SammyBoy
Been Liked: 469 times
Has Liked: 434 times

Post by SammyBoy » Tue May 12, 2020 1:49 pm

Not sure how you’d do it but I’d like to see MPs have at least some sort of connection to the area they represent so we can avoid a Kitty Ussher situations which are sadly far too common.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Tue May 12, 2020 2:01 pm

jackmiggins wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 1:28 pm
Just wonder also, how many have actually met and talked to their MPs? I don’t know anyone that has, but do know that ours has a surgery, 20 miles away up to six times a year. Slightly absent, I’d say?
I have never met an MP at their surgery,i have rubbed shoulders with some at election counts,and our union rep in our work,held a conservation with the local MP,during our period of strike action and subsequent cost-cutting exercise by the employer.

I have contacted elected officials by e-mail on many occasions,and that method of communication will no doubt continue to grow.

I'm sure there is many diligent backbench MP'S,who only want to improve the lot of their constituents,but they won't attract the attention a cabinet member will for instance,and it's at the top that we as a country are sadly lacking ideas and leadership in all the parties.

Regarding your MP,are you in a safe seat?If you are,that illustrates the problem many voters face,20 miles seems an awful long trip for a surgery,is your MP actually holding surgeries in the constituency?because most UK constituencies can't be that large surely,obviously some rural seats especially in the Scottish Highlands will cover huge areas,but if your living in an urban area that shouldn't be the case.

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1904 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Vino blanco » Tue May 12, 2020 2:09 pm

I'm with boatshed bill, I would reduce the number of MPs from 650 to around 300 and at the same time I would close the House of Lords and replace it by a much, much smaller elected body.
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

dsr

Post by dsr » Tue May 12, 2020 3:08 pm

SammyBoy wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 1:49 pm
Not sure how you’d do it but I’d like to see MPs have at least some sort of connection to the area they represent so we can avoid a Kitty Ussher situations which are sadly far too common.
If people vote for them, they get elected. There's too strong a party political element - if a lot more independents were elcted it would be a good thing IMO.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Tue May 12, 2020 3:21 pm

Vino blanco wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 2:09 pm
I'm with boatshed bill, I would reduce the number of MPs from 650 to around 300 and at the same time I would close the House of Lords and replace it by a much, much smaller elected body.
You'll enjoy this story,the HOL are bleating because their daily allowance is being halved,my heart bleeds for them it really does.https://uk.news.yahoo.com/peers-hung-dr ... 4301.html
This user liked this post: Vino blanco

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3155 times
Has Liked: 6742 times

Post by boatshed bill » Tue May 12, 2020 3:24 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 3:21 pm
You'll enjoy this story,the HOL are bleating because their daily allowance is being halved,my heart bleeds for them it really does.https://uk.news.yahoo.com/peers-hung-dr ... 4301.html

It's a tough old life for our lords, allright!

huw.Y.WattfromWare
Been Liked: 1004 times
Has Liked: 905 times

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Tue May 12, 2020 4:04 pm

jackmiggins wrote:
The last Fire service strike I had meetings with Janet Anderson(Lab. Ross&Darwen). She was very good. Took copious notes of our points, arranged a meeting in Westminster with the Lancs group of MPs, all denominations.
I also met Jack Straw over the same situation, he was an arse. To be fair he was Foreign Sec. at the time and had just returned from a trip abroad. He basically read his brief, ignored everything that was said and left.
As good as Anderson was she was a career politician and her expenses claims, legal or not, were an outrage.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue May 12, 2020 7:32 pm

jackmiggins wrote:
I couldn't even name mine unless I had a quick Google

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6477 times
Has Liked: 2908 times

Post by Steve1956 » Wed May 13, 2020 10:56 am

huw.Y.WattfromWare wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 4:04 pm
The last Fire service strike I had meetings with Janet Anderson(Lab. Ross&Darwen). She was very good. Took copious notes of our points, arranged a meeting in Westminster with the Lancs group of MPs, all denominations.
I also met Jack Straw over the same situation, he was an arse. To be fair he was Foreign Sec. at the time and had just returned from a trip abroad. He basically read his brief, ignored everything that was said and left.
As good as Anderson was she was a career politician and her expenses claims, legal or not, were an outrage.
If your a Rossendale lad and go back to the 70s our MP around that time took some beating a guy who really cared unlike the career politicians of today,he was called Mike Noble,Anderson had her picture in the Free Press a lot and toured the factories at election time,but little else.

jackmiggins

Post by jackmiggins » Wed May 13, 2020 11:12 am

tiger76 wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 2:01 pm
I have never met an MP at their surgery,i have rubbed shoulders with some at election counts,and our union rep in our work,held a conservation with the local MP,during our period of strike action and subsequent cost-cutting exercise by the employer.

I have contacted elected officials by e-mail on many occasions,and that method of communication will no doubt continue to grow.

I'm sure there is many diligent backbench MP'S,who only want to improve the lot of their constituents,but they won't attract the attention a cabinet member will for instance,and it's at the top that we as a country are sadly lacking ideas and leadership in all the parties.

Regarding your MP,are you in a safe seat?If you are,that illustrates the problem many voters face,20 miles seems an awful long trip for a surgery,is your MP actually holding surgeries in the constituency?because most UK constituencies can't be that large surely,obviously some rural seats especially in the Scottish Highlands will cover huge areas,but if your living in an urban area that shouldn't be the case.
I do live in the extremely safe seat of Selby, so it is quite rural, but between Leeds and York, though not sure why that would mean an MP shouldn't put any effort in? I too, have e-mailed my MP on a couple of occasions, but only received a generic reply. Truth is that most MPs spend most of their time dealing with their business interests. The Oxbridge set is a closed shop and I'm extremely that their higher levels of 'interest' could possibly cloud their thinking/decisions.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1176 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Hipper » Wed May 13, 2020 11:28 am

MPs already get a reasonable pay plus expenses and pensions:

https://www.parliament.uk/about/mps-and ... s/pay-mps/

They also seem to top there income up by other apparently legitimate means as well as getting unique income earning opportunities once they leave politics.

In the US they seem to have had enough of this and have reduced the President's pension accordingly:

https://www.rt.com/usa/328688-former-pr ... gislation/

What I don't like are the lobby groups:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lobbying_ ... ed_Kingdom

MPs are elected to represent us, the people, not business's, sects, religion, etc. etc..

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6361 times
Has Liked: 8704 times

Post by IanMcL » Wed May 13, 2020 11:34 am

Chester Perry wrote:

This country has caught the often fatal disease, Internitus.

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2594 times
Has Liked: 760 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Wed May 13, 2020 11:44 am

I also agree with chester's post.

To the original question, no they shouldn't have pay increased, the salary and perks are generous enough already. But also, they should have no links whatsoever to any commercial interests. No sitting on boards, advising businesses, being partners in firms etc. If they really want to be an MP and represent their constituents interests properly, they'd be happy to leave all that behind when they get elected.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Wed May 13, 2020 11:52 am

jackmiggins wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 11:12 am
I do live in the extremely safe seat of Selby, so it is quite rural, but between Leeds and York, though not sure why that would mean an MP shouldn't put any effort in? I too, have e-mailed my MP on a couple of occasions, but only received a generic reply. Truth is that most MPs spend most of their time dealing with their business interests. The Oxbridge set is a closed shop and I'm extremely that their higher levels of 'interest' could possibly cloud their thinking/decisions.
This illustrates the problem,you live in a safe Conservative seat,the majority was 20,000+ in the December election,so the MP doesn't have to put any effort into his daily work,as he knows baring a political earthquake he'll be in the job as long as he wants,and no doubt when he decides to step down,he'll either have a cushy job lined up for him,or he'll be elevated to the HOL.

Just browsing his bio page,he can at least claim to be local,or relatively local he was born in Goole. And unlike some.he has at least had some experience of the real world,he didn't attend university,but instead got a position in the sales industry,before founding his own company,which he later sold.

Now on to his political career and self-interest,you may well have a point.

In January 2016, the Labour Party unsuccessfully proposed an amendment in Parliament that would have required private landlords to make their homes "fit for human habitation". According to Parliament's register of interests, Adams was one of 72 Conservative MPs who voted against the amendment who personally derived an income from renting out property. The Conservative Government had responded to the amendment that they believed homes should be fit for human habitation but did not want to pass the new law that would explicitly require it.

Until June 2017, Adams was Chairman of the All-Party Parliamentary Biomass Group and in 2013 he wrote an article describing the benefits of biomass. He regards wind and solar generation as relatively expensive and inflexible methods of renewable energy. Whilst coal is reliable and available, it is not renewable and converts inactive carbon stored underground into carbon dioxide thus increasing CO
2 levels. Drax and Eggborough power stations are major UK electricity producers in his constituency. Both power stations are capable of burning biomass. In January 2015, Adams introduced the Onshore wind subsidies (abolition) bill to Parliament which passed to the next stage following a close vote. The Conservative government has announced new onshore wind subsidies will end on 1 April 2016. He has however faced criticism for accepting more than £50,000 in political donations and hospitality from companies in the biomass sector.

In March 2017, Adams was instructed to apologise to the House of Commons after the Commons Committee on Standards ruled that he had breached the MPs' code of conduct by failing to declare his interest in a telecommunications company while taking part in parliamentary inquiries relating to the industry

In 2015, Adams voted against plain cigarette packaging in the Tobacco Products Regulation motion. He had previously accepted £1,188 in hospitality from Japan Tobacco International during the 2012 Chelsea Flower Show. He was criticised by Greenpeace for promoting biomass as an energy source after accepting more than £50,000 in political donations and hospitality from companies in the biomass sector.

In 2020, Adams was accused of editing his own Wikipedia page to make himself appear in a positive light.

Weighed against this criticism he has campaigned for former miners to have the concessionary coal allowance restored,surprisingly for a Conservative MP,and he's also been active in helping to make live music events accessible for deaf and disabled people,and in addition Adams has campaigned to change the law on Secondary Ticketing and he successfully persuaded the government to outlaw the use of bots for the purpose of purchasing event tickets for resale.

And his expense claims compare favourably to most,so a mixed bag it's fair to say.But this probably describes half the house,they get a safe seat,and then coast through their parliamentary life.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3178 times

Post by Paul Waine » Wed May 13, 2020 6:42 pm

10 years ago, 12th May 2010, I played in a cystic fibrosis charity football match at Stamford Bridge. The teams were MPs v Sporting personalities/celebs, plus the "pay to play" charity givers - I was one of the latter (a friend/colleague's daughter has cf). The mixed the teams up, with everyone playing half of each half of the 90 mins. I played centre half/sweeper (I'm 5'7") with Alastair Campbell at left back. We won 3-1.

Several MPs/gov't ministers in the teams (it was the day Gordon Brown conceded the 2010 GE). I enjoyed meeting Andy Burnham particularly. He told me he'd give up politics if David Moyes would give him a chance at Everton! I give him a lot of credit for moving to become Mayor of Manchester. (There's another politician who left parliament, I recall, to be mayor of a city).

I've also met a number of other MPs/gov't ministers through various work activities.

Chester Perry makes a very good point. We need all our MPs to be connected with us, the electorate. Career politicians are not a good thing. So, we should encourage MPs who have business experience, professional experience (doctors, nurses, lawyers, accountants), trade union experience, skilled trades experience (plumbers, brickies, sparks, carpenters), arts and culture experience (theatre, films, sports), unskilled work experience and no working experience - whatever the reasons for the latter, which may include health issues, physical and learning challenges or any other life experience. We should encourage and expect that they continue to pursue their "outside parliament" activities, to the extent they don't neglect their parliamentary duties, so that they can remain connected with the real world "outside the Westminster bubble."

To facilitate this, I'd have a rule that no individual can serve in a political role (MP plus many others) for more than 10 years before they've also experienced 10 years pursuing their life outside politics. So, work/be an adult for 10 years (outside politics - political advisors would, obviously, count as in politics) and then pursue a political career. Or, leave school/uni at 18+ and go into politics, but leave politics after 10 years.

I'd go further than this. Only one member of a family to serve in politics at any one time. So, no husband and wife, no father/mother and son/daughter and no sisters and brothers etc. There are far too many husbands and wives in politics. I don't have the figures, but though we have 650 MPs (I'd reduce the numbers) there are only somewhere around 500-550 different families represented. Democracy requires that "politics" is not a "family business."

dsr

Post by dsr » Wed May 13, 2020 9:19 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 6:42 pm
I'd go further than this. Only one member of a family to serve in politics at any one time. So, no husband and wife, no father/mother and son/daughter and no sisters and brothers etc. There are far too many husbands and wives in politics. I don't have the figures, but though we have 650 MPs (I'd reduce the numbers) there are only somewhere around 500-550 different families represented. Democracy requires that "politics" is not a "family business."
I utterly disagree with this paragraph. I do not see why I should be denied the right to vote for Alan Johnson if I want to, just because his brother is PM.

It also leads to problems if Boris Johnson's sister marries Keir Starmer's brother. That would be fun for PM's questions - they could play scissors-paper-stone for the right to attend!

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3178 times

Post by Paul Waine » Wed May 13, 2020 10:25 pm

dsr wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 9:19 pm
I utterly disagree with this paragraph. I do not see why I should be denied the right to vote for Alan Johnson if I want to, just because his brother is PM.

It also leads to problems if Boris Johnson's sister marries Keir Starmer's brother. That would be fun for PM's questions - they could play scissors-paper-stone for the right to attend!
Hi dsr, at the moment we are all denied the right to vote for anyone, other than those selected by the political parties - and there's too much "keeping it in the family."

I know we all had "some fun" watching David and Ed Milliband compete for the Labour party leadership and more recently Boris and Jo Johnson have their Brexit differences. Maybe we all felt it was ok that Ed Balls and Yvette Cooper were husband and wife in the same cabinet, or the Eagle twins in Corbyn's shadow cabinet. Or, Harriet Harman and Jack Dromey. There's even two sisters who are MPs and one of the sisters is married to another MP.

Every time family connections gain another person a footing in politics it's at the expense of the exclusion of the wider voice of everyone outside the "dynasty." So, "one family one appointment, better politics" is my campaign to diversify, strengthen and improve the quality of our political gene pool.

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Wed May 13, 2020 10:30 pm

Get rid of first past the post, and use proportional representation instead. Every vote counts, and the government formed will be representative of the votes cast. Yes, it will be a coalition, and big tent parties such as the Tories and Labour would probably break up into smaller ones, but at least that's more representative of ordinary people's views, and the resulting government would have to reach a consensus within its parts as to what to enact, and what to leave out of what the parties themselves want.

With a national government, I don't believe there's any need for geo-political constituencies, however a non political local office should be maintained so that local people in any area can bring their concerns to the national stage. This way, rather than dealing with a hard working, or lazy MP - one who shares your ideas, or one who doesn't - in other words, the luck of the draw; your concerns can be put toward those in parliament, and any party can take up your cause.

Formalise and record all conversations - especially those with lobbyists.

Ban second jobs. Put their businesses into blind trusts. Don't allow MPs to be involved with conflict of interest matters. Put all work undertaken by MPs, on the record - so that an MP discussing their work off the record can be punished. That Tony Blair could go from being PM to being mega rich so soon after leaving office (and George Osborne too, though not PM), should make us question what it is they might have done while in office to deserve these high paying jobs.

Make it a real goal for every party to reflect the ethnic, gender, religious, economic and sexual diversity of the country - and publish the reality so the parties can be compared.

Ban donations of over a hundred pounds, and publicly fund politics based on votes and membership.

Greatly restrict media ownership in this country, so that a single rich person can't sway elections.

Introduce stricter rules about paid political advertising also covering the internet.

Ban the use of paid bots.

Reduce the number of SPADS.

Regularly have the parliament and / or committees sit in other places around the country. Parliament could move every few years.

Bring in an English parliament.

Have an independent publicly funded fact check body with the power to call out and fine people and organisations that mislead the public.

dsr

Post by dsr » Thu May 14, 2020 12:21 am

AndrewJB wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 10:30 pm
Get rid of first past the post, and use proportional representation instead. Every vote counts, and the government formed will be representative of the votes cast. Yes, it will be a coalition, and big tent parties such as the Tories and Labour would probably break up into smaller ones, but at least that's more representative of ordinary people's views, and the resulting government would have to reach a consensus within its parts as to what to enact, and what to leave out of what the parties themselves want.

With a national government, I don't believe there's any need for geo-political constituencies, however a non political local office should be maintained so that local people in any area can bring their concerns to the national stage. This way, rather than dealing with a hard working, or lazy MP - one who shares your ideas, or one who doesn't - in other words, the luck of the draw; your concerns can be put toward those in parliament, and any party can take up your cause.

Make it a real goal for every party to reflect the ethnic, gender, religious, economic and sexual diversity of the country - and publish the reality so the parties can be compared.
So basically you want to make sure that all MPs are placemen, dependent not on public support but on the consent of their party leader, for their seats. Any MP who votes against his party will be replaced, any MP who has maverick tendencies or independent thought will be replaced, and parliament will be strictly the preserve of career politicians who are content to draw the money and do as they are told.

Interesting ideas. A sort of multi-party dictatorship, I reckon is what you will get.

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Thu May 14, 2020 4:50 pm

dsr wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 12:21 am
So basically you want to make sure that all MPs are placemen, dependent not on public support but on the consent of their party leader, for their seats. Any MP who votes against his party will be replaced, any MP who has maverick tendencies or independent thought will be replaced, and parliament will be strictly the preserve of career politicians who are content to draw the money and do as they are told.

Interesting ideas. A sort of multi-party dictatorship, I reckon is what you will get.
That's a good point. Parties would have to meet some sort of minimum level of internal democracy - probably rule out the Brexit Party as it currently stands.

keith1879
Been Liked: 262 times
Has Liked: 366 times

Post by keith1879 » Thu May 14, 2020 7:25 pm

AndrewJB wrote:

Not sure about all of your post but this is so overdue....can't ever see it happening though

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Thu May 14, 2020 7:29 pm

AndrewJB wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 4:50 pm
That's a good point. Parties would have to meet some sort of minimum level of internal democracy - probably rule out the Brexit Party as it currently stands.
Who? :lol:

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Thu May 14, 2020 8:16 pm

AndrewJB wrote:

Formalise and record all conversations - especially those with lobbyists.

Ban second jobs. Put their businesses into blind trusts. Don't allow MPs to be involved with conflict of interest matters. Put all work undertaken by MPs, on the record - so that an MP discussing their work off the record can be punished. That Tony Blair could go from being PM to being mega rich so soon after leaving office (and George Osborne too, though not PM), should make us question what it is they might have done while in office to deserve these high paying jobs.

Ban donations of over a hundred pounds, and publicly fund politics based on votes and membership.

Greatly restrict media ownership in this country, so that a single rich person can't sway elections.

Introduce stricter rules about paid political advertising also covering the internet.

Ban the use of paid bots.

Reduce the number of SPADS.

Regularly have the parliament and / or committees sit in other places around the country. Parliament could move every few years.

Bring in an English parliament.

Have an independent publicly funded fact check body with the power to call out and fine people and organisations that mislead the public.
A well reasoned post,and it deserves a response,so i'll go through your ideas one by one.

Binning FPTP-totally agree on this,it is bizarre that every other elected official in the UK,is elected under some form of PR system,as are most politicians in Europe.And yet it's not deemed suitable for Westminster,it'll never happen though,as both Conservatives & Labour have too much to lose.Of course as a Green you'd love PR,because then you'd be seen as relevant,whereas currently your squeezed out.

Regarding your 2nd point who'd staff this non-political local office,and who would finance it,and how would residents concerns be made known without their local MP rising the issue either in parliament,or by other means.

Can you legally record all conversations?isn't that a breach of GDPR laws?i don't disagree with your principle point lobbying is a major bugbear of mine.

2nd jobs/conflicts of interest,i thought there was already rules for members to declare any earnings,now whether those rules are stringent enough is another question.

I'm all for making parliament more diverse,and there has been campaigns,Labour still have AWS for example,it could just be that for many people they don't feel they'll make a difference in politics.

Limiting donations,i do see where your coming from here,but i'm wary of parties being state funded,again if i was being cynical this benefits Labour far more than the Tories.

Media ownership-i assume your referring to Mr Murdoch,does he really carry that much sway,and i predict in 10 years the printed press won't exist,already many publications have been forced online,or ceased publishing altogether,this ties in neatly with your next 2 points however.

Online advertising & bots-again i agree with the principal,but how you enforce this in practice is much harder,especially if these are based outwith the UK.

SPADS-yes that's an area that could be tidied up,i'll be honest i don't even now what many SPADS actually do.

Mobile parliament-don't disagree with this idea,but would it mean anything,or would it just be a PR stunt.

English parliament-hmm! if you were to go down that route,you'd need to have a clear federalism plan in place to ensure the UK stayed united,the union's already creaking at the seams due to brexit.

There is fact-checkers already in operation,they were used in the recent GE-but one with real teeth i'd support as long as it's impartially wasn't in :?:

Being a realist only 2 of the above are likely to happen,and that's PR and parliament moving round the country,the rest no chance.

jackmiggins

Post by jackmiggins » Fri May 15, 2020 10:24 am

tiger76 wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 11:52 am
This illustrates the problem,you live in a safe Conservative seat,the majority was 20,000+ in the December election,so the MP doesn't have to put any effort into his daily work,as he knows baring a political earthquake he'll be in the job as long as he wants,and no doubt when he decides to step down,he'll either have a cushy job lined up for him,or he'll be elevated to the HOL.

Just browsing his bio page,he can at least claim to be local,or relatively local he was born in Goole. And unlike some.he has at least had some experience of the real world,he didn't attend university,but instead got a position in the sales industry,before founding his own company,which he later sold.

Now on to his political career and self-interest,you may well have a point.

In January 2016, the Labour Party unsuccessfully proposed an amendment in Parliament that would have required private landlords to make their homes "fit for human habitation". According to Parliament's register of interests, Adams was one of 72 Conservative MPs who voted against the amendment who personally derived an income from renting out property. The Conservative Government had responded to the amendment that they believed homes should be fit for human habitation but did not want to pass the new law that would explicitly require it.

Until June 2017, Adams was Chairman of the All-Party Parliamentary Biomass Group and in 2013 he wrote an article describing the benefits of biomass. He regards wind and solar generation as relatively expensive and inflexible methods of renewable energy. Whilst coal is reliable and available, it is not renewable and converts inactive carbon stored underground into carbon dioxide thus increasing CO
2 levels. Drax and Eggborough power stations are major UK electricity producers in his constituency. Both power stations are capable of burning biomass. In January 2015, Adams introduced the Onshore wind subsidies (abolition) bill to Parliament which passed to the next stage following a close vote. The Conservative government has announced new onshore wind subsidies will end on 1 April 2016. He has however faced criticism for accepting more than £50,000 in political donations and hospitality from companies in the biomass sector.

In March 2017, Adams was instructed to apologise to the House of Commons after the Commons Committee on Standards ruled that he had breached the MPs' code of conduct by failing to declare his interest in a telecommunications company while taking part in parliamentary inquiries relating to the industry

In 2015, Adams voted against plain cigarette packaging in the Tobacco Products Regulation motion. He had previously accepted £1,188 in hospitality from Japan Tobacco International during the 2012 Chelsea Flower Show. He was criticised by Greenpeace for promoting biomass as an energy source after accepting more than £50,000 in political donations and hospitality from companies in the biomass sector.

In 2020, Adams was accused of editing his own Wikipedia page to make himself appear in a positive light.

Weighed against this criticism he has campaigned for former miners to have the concessionary coal allowance restored,surprisingly for a Conservative MP,and he's also been active in helping to make live music events accessible for deaf and disabled people,and in addition Adams has campaigned to change the law on Secondary Ticketing and he successfully persuaded the government to outlaw the use of bots for the purpose of purchasing event tickets for resale.

And his expense claims compare favourably to most,so a mixed bag it's fair to say.But this probably describes half the house,they get a safe seat,and then coast through their parliamentary life.
Thanks for the info on Nigel Adams...….although I do know most of this. Not quite sure of the point you're making? My original question still stands. I only asked for personal opinions. Unfortunately, these seem to be clouded by some posters political affiliations...…………..'preservation of the Party is of the utmost importance'.