ARTICLE: Joe Brown – January 1976 to February 1977

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32406 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

ARTICLE: Joe Brown – January 1976 to February 1977

Post by ClaretTony » Tue May 12, 2020 11:54 am

Latest in the managers with Joe Brown

See link
https://www.uptheclarets.com/joe-brown- ... ruary-1977

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1904 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Re: ARTICLE: Joe Brown – January 1976 to February 1977

Post by Vino blanco » Tue May 12, 2020 2:25 pm

I went to Joe Browns first game in charge at Norwich away, hoping for a quick turn round in our fortunes after a dismal time under Adamson, and I remember the fans carrying the banner towards Carrow Road. Unfortunately it wasn't to be.....the trials and tribulations of being a Burnley fan!

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue May 12, 2020 2:59 pm

Impossible job really for Joe. Lord by then had taken total control and was deciding who did and who didn’t play. Joe deserves far better than that.

Rodleydave
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 101 times

Post by Rodleydave » Tue May 12, 2020 8:06 pm

We used to stay with Mrs T's sister. Remember an away game at Southampton. Lost...maybe it was 2-1 or 2-0. Never seen a bloke looking more disconsolate as he trudged off at the end. As of to say just what am I doing here.

Royboyclaret
Been Liked: 1280 times
Has Liked: 681 times

Post by Royboyclaret » Tue May 12, 2020 9:11 pm

Rodleydave wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 8:06 pm
We used to stay with Mrs T's sister. Remember an away game at Southampton. Lost...maybe it was 2-1 or 2-0. Never seen a bloke looking more disconsolate as he trudged off at the end. As of to say just what am I doing here.
It was 0-2, in Feb.'77, and little wonder Brown was looking disconsolate as it was our 14th game on the bounce without a win. 7 draws and 7 defeats, I think.

Anyway we picked up a bit after that with a few wins and I thought that Lord stuck with Joe Brown until the end of the season before bringing back Potts for a second stint. Many years ago though, so could be wrong.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed May 13, 2020 1:14 am

Royboyclaret wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 9:11 pm
It was 0-2, in Feb.'77, and little wonder Brown was looking disconsolate as it was our 14th game on the bounce without a win. 7 draws and 7 defeats, I think.

Anyway we picked up a bit after that with a few wins and I thought that Lord stuck with Joe Brown until the end of the season before bringing back Potts for a second stint. Many years ago though, so could be wrong.
The defeat at Southampton was Joe’s final game in charge.

Suratclaret
Been Liked: 333 times
Has Liked: 788 times

Post by Suratclaret » Wed May 13, 2020 7:32 am

He clearly had a talent as a coach particularly with youth team players other wise I doubt Ferguson would have had him as part of the coaching set up at Old Trafford. That youth team at Burnley was indeed exceptional and a great credit to him and the others involved.
Maybe managing a club was a step too far for him particularly although I suspect even the best managers would have struggled given the chairman's interference.

claretfern
Been Liked: 138 times
Has Liked: 1262 times

Post by claretfern » Wed May 13, 2020 9:54 am

Just looked at the Clarets line up for that Southampton match: it was quite an experienced team, barring David Loggie at no.7

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed May 13, 2020 10:48 am

Suratclaret wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 7:32 am
He clearly had a talent as a coach particularly with youth team players other wise I doubt Ferguson would have had him as part of the coaching set up at Old Trafford. That youth team at Burnley was indeed exceptional and a great credit to him and the others involved.
Maybe managing a club was a step too far for him particularly although I suspect even the best managers would have struggled given the chairman's interference.
I think Joe was an exceptional coach but was never really a manager. When he was given the job too he was totally controlled by Lord which made it impossible. He wasn't allowed to play some of his better players and the club was in absolute turmoil. The one good decision he made was to get out and move on when he lost the manager's job.

He still always thought of Burnley as his club though for all those years he was at United.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Wed May 13, 2020 11:32 am

Joe was my cousin's grandad and I often heard football stories from years gone by.

He still lived in Burnley right up until his death, and my mum who attended the funeral spoke of how shocked she was at the amount of Man United representation was actually there in their official club suits.
She wasn't sure who was who at the time when they first entered, but Sir Alex, Mr Charlton and a few of the retired famous 90's squads were all in attendance, as well as messages from those in the game that couldn't make it.
Just went to show how highly he must have been thought of in the football family.

I'm sure they would have been plenty of others in the football family there too, and I'd have been star struck should I have been there, but my mum is anything but a lover of sport, so had zero interest in talking to them.

Im sure they were even some Man United representation even at his wife's funeral who dies several years later, they really are a classy outfit United at looking after and remembering their own.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed May 13, 2020 11:49 am

MACCA wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 11:32 am
Joe was my cousin's grandad and I often heard football stories from years gone by.

He still lived in Burnley right up until his death, and my mum who attended the funeral spoke of how shocked she was at the amount of Man United representation was actually there in their official club suits.
She wasn't sure who was who at the time when they first entered, but Sir Alex, Mr Charlton and a few of the retired famous 90's squads were all in attendance, as well as messages from those in the game that couldn't make it.
Just went to show how highly he must have been thought of in the football family.

I'm sure they would have been plenty of others in the football family there too, and I'd have been star struck should I have been there, but my mum is anything but a lover of sport, so had zero interest in talking to them.

Im sure they were even some Man United representation even at his wife's funeral who dies several years later, they really are a classy outfit United at looking after and remembering their own.
Sir Alex was definitely there representing Manchester United and the Beckhams sent a lovely tribute.

Joe had two sons, Martin & Nigel but Nigel tragically died young. I knew Nigel well and it was through him that I got to know Joe. They lived on Rosehill Road at the time but eventually Joe & Connie moved on to Pasturegate. Connie died around a year and a half before Joe. You could not possibly have known Joe & Connie and not like them.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Wed May 13, 2020 12:14 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 11:49 am
Sir Alex was definitely there representing Manchester United and the Beckhams sent a lovely tribute.

Joe had two sons, Martin & Nigel but Nigel tragically died young. I knew Nigel well and it was through him that I got to know Joe. They lived on Rosehill Road at the time but eventually Joe & Connie moved on to Pasturegate. Connie died around a year and a half before Joe. You could not possibly have known Joe & Connie and not like them.
Yes Nige was my uncle through marriage, he too a very nice man.
I didnt know his parents too well as I rarely saw them, but they were often talked about at family events by family and others, and were only ever described as wonderful people.