ARTICLE: Harry Potts – February 1977 to October 1979

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32526 times
Has Liked: 5276 times

ARTICLE: Harry Potts – February 1977 to October 1979

Post by ClaretTony » Fri May 15, 2020 11:44 am

The managers section takes us to Harry Potts' return in the 1970s with the club struggling in the second division

See link
https://www.uptheclarets.com/harry-pott ... tober-1979

mdd2
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Re: ARTICLE: Harry Potts – February 1977 to October 1979

Post by mdd2 » Fri May 15, 2020 3:43 pm

In the 32 years to the end of Potts we had 7 changes including Potts twice, I think Casper's first stint was only an interim appointment, and in the next 32 to 2011 sixteen and I think only Potts Adamson and Stan lasted 6 or more seasons

Suratclaret
Been Liked: 333 times
Has Liked: 788 times

Post by Suratclaret » Sat May 16, 2020 6:57 am

He certainly should be counted as one of the Clubs finest managers - his achievements in his first stint as manager were brilliant. Given what he had to work with and having to sell the best players along with the influence of the autocratic Bob Lord, he probably achieved more than many people realise in his second term.
Just as I prefer to remember Adamson the player as opposed to Adamson the manager, I prefer to remember Harry Potts for his first stint as manager.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32526 times
Has Liked: 5276 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sat May 16, 2020 12:18 pm

You won't get a bad word from me on Harry Potts, I loved the bloke.

The last time I spoke to him was in 1991 at Granville Shackleton's funeral. I'd driven from Manchester and had given myself plenty of time and Harry had got the wrong time and turned up too early. We sat together in my car for a good three quarters of an hour chatting. By then his Parkinson's Disease was pretty obvious with the shaking but, even so, to have that much time to chat with this brilliant man was very special for me.

So when I rank Sean Dyche alongside him as a manager, it sort of indicates just how highly I rate Sean. I didn't think I'd live to see the day when I found someone even comparable to Harry Potts.
This user liked this post: Suratclaret

Suratclaret
Been Liked: 333 times
Has Liked: 788 times

Post by Suratclaret » Sat May 16, 2020 12:35 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 12:18 pm
You won't get a bad word from me on Harry Potts, I loved the bloke.

The last time I spoke to him was in 1991 at Granville Shackleton's funeral. I'd driven from Manchester and had given myself plenty of time and Harry had got the wrong time and turned up too early. We sat together in my car for a good three quarters of an hour chatting. By then his Parkinson's Disease was pretty obvious with the shaking but, even so, to have that much time to chat with this brilliant man was very special for me.

So when I rank Sean Dyche alongside him as a manager, it sort of indicates just how highly I rate Sean. I didn't think I'd live to see the day when I found someone even comparable to Harry Potts.
What a privilege that must have been! I imagine you can probably recall every word the great man said. In the late seventies when sickness prevented my dad from going to matches, I recall asking him who he thought was best manager he had come across in his lifetime. Bearing in mind he hadn't always lived in Burnley and hadn't always been a supporter( born in Cardiff and moved around the country several times) there was absolutely no hesitation in his reply...Harry Potts.
This user liked this post: ClaretTony