Ashley Westwood - Brilliant sentiments

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
IanMcL
Been Liked: 6361 times
Has Liked: 8704 times

Ashley Westwood - Brilliant sentiments

Post by IanMcL » Fri May 15, 2020 7:48 pm

Just read this online article, from Clitheroe Times.

Super comments from Ashley Westwood about his time at Burnley. Hugely positive about everything, including the town, club and us!

Burnley midfielder Ashley Westwood: "It's been a special place for me and long may that continue!"Burnley midfielder Ashley Westwood says that he'd be open to seeing out his playing days at Turf Moor if the opportunity presented itself.
By Dan Black

The 30-year-old recently triggered an extension in his existing contract which will keep him at the club until the end of the 2020/21 campaign.

Last season's player of the year has enjoyed every moment with the Clarets since making his switch from Aston Villa at the start of 2017 and has clocked up 101 appearances in all competitions.

The former Crewe Alexandra man described the move as a 'breath of fresh air' and he's hopeful that he can remain at the club beyond the expiry of his current deal.

"I'm buzzing, I'm here for another year, I've really enjoyed my time at the club since I joined," he said. "It's been a breath of fresh air. I've loved everything about it. The fans have taken to me and I've loved that.

"There were things being said, coming from Villa, with the fans asking 'what've you bought him for?' But they've stuck with me. It's been a special place for me and long may that continue.

"It feels brilliant. With my home life I'm back around family, which is nice. It's a special place, a special town, a special club. It would be nice [to stay longer], but everything like that will be put on hold.

"The lads who are out of contract need looking at first so the main thing for me is that I've got next year to look forward to. Who knows what will happen after that, but hopefully there are more years to come and I can see it out here.

"Since I walked through the door I've enjoyed the working environment because the lads are brilliant. They are all great lads, I knew Lowts really well, he told me all about it and he had a big part to play in me coming to Burnley.

"He told me how good it was and I can't speak highly enough of all the lads. Everyone who comes in enjoys it and anyone that leaves is always gutted they've gone. They always wish they were back here. It's a really special place and we're a special force."

Westwood has been given a new lease of life in the middle of the park under boss Sean Dyche. He's added more strings to his bow and grown to become a really creative force for the Clarets.

Westwood netted the winner at home to Leicester City, which activated a seven-game unbeaten run in the Premier League, and then scored directly from a corner against Southampton at St Mary's in February.

"I've been playing well for the last two years especially," said Westwood, who has also added five assists this term. "I think I've just slotted in and the gaffer has got me playing forward quicker and more often.

"Previously in my career I've been known as a player that keeps the ball and keeps it tidy, without losing possession. Things are starting to come off and I'm affecting the game more now and the number of assists I've got will show that.

"My pass completion rate might not be great, but I'm creating a lot more goals than I used to. That's been a big influence for me and the intensity of training has helped with my fitness. The lads really pull each other through. Everything has just clicked.

"I've been in a bad place with some of the clubs that I've been at, but it's unique here. You know when things aren't going well that you'll still enjoy going into work and you'll still love the people around you. We're all pulling in the same direction, we're all focused on the same goal and I've never known anything like it."
These 25 users liked this post: Bertiebeehead Colburn_Claret Bosscat Ashingtonclaret46 Aclaret Paul Waine green_parrot k90bfc Funkydrummer ashtonlongsider The Enclosure Sarum bodge Burnley1989 Redbeard ElectroClaret Taffy on the wing tim_noone Cajun claretfern chekhov ecc turfytopper MT03ALG SussexDon1inIreland

HunterST_BFC
Been Liked: 1402 times
Has Liked: 2691 times

Re: Ashley Westwood - Brilliant sentiments

Post by HunterST_BFC » Fri May 15, 2020 8:39 pm

A ringing endorsement!

Thanks for posting
This user liked this post: IanMcL

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32370 times
Has Liked: 5268 times

Post by ClaretTony » Fri May 15, 2020 8:44 pm

He said in a recent team that the lads get on so well it’s like being in a pub team but every day of the week

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2349 times
Has Liked: 3177 times

Post by Paul Waine » Fri May 15, 2020 8:45 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 8:44 pm
He said in a recent team that the lads get on so well it’s like being in a pub team but every day of the week
what's a "pub?"

UTC
These 5 users liked this post: ClaretTony GodIsADeeJay81 Burnley Ace chadders MT03ALG

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3084 times
Has Liked: 3805 times

Post by NewClaret » Fri May 15, 2020 9:02 pm

Brilliant to read. How lucky we are to have a group of players that talk about each other so highly.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8485 times
Has Liked: 18203 times

Post by Bosscat » Fri May 15, 2020 9:04 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 8:45 pm
what's a "pub?"

UTC
Pubs 🤔 I remember them ------- I think🤔

bodge
Been Liked: 729 times
Has Liked: 475 times

Post by bodge » Sat May 16, 2020 12:21 pm

It's all about the environment and standards that are set and insisted upon by SD, fantastic times for the club.

Always looks like he's enjoying himself does AW, sort of bloke you would like to be around.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32370 times
Has Liked: 5268 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sat May 16, 2020 12:30 pm

bodge wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 12:21 pm
It's all about the environment and standards that are set and insisted upon by SD, fantastic times for the club.

Always looks like he's enjoying himself does AW, sort of bloke you would like to be around.
There was an incident in the Bournemouth game that I picked up on the TV coverage. It comes just after our opening goal and the game is stopped so James Tarkowski can get some treatment. The camera pans over to the technical area where first Joe Hart and then Jóhann Berg Guðmundsson come out to congratulate Matěj Vydra on his goal. Sean Dyche has a word with him and then Dwight McNeil comes over too but McNeil then becomes a victim of Ashley Westwood who squirts him with his water bottle. I thought all that sort of summed up what we are told about our team spirit and tried to imagine some of these prima donnas at Premier League clubs putting up with what Westwood did to McNeil.

I spoke to a Burnley player earlier this year in town. I don't think it is right to say who but he had just scored a wonder goal in the 2-0 win at Manchester United. I asked him if he'd settled back in at Burnley and he said it was so easy because of the group of players at the club. He said everyone at other clubs knows about how good the Burnley dressing room is. It's good because we sign players like Ashley Westwood and the rest who are all just down to earth blokes.
These 5 users liked this post: bodge Sarum Cajun Taffy on the wing SussexDon1inIreland

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1879 times
Has Liked: 837 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sat May 16, 2020 12:48 pm

Great read. Another very good signing by Dyche.

Enty1974
Been Liked: 25 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by Enty1974 » Sat May 16, 2020 1:42 pm

1 of a very few that actually gets stuck in

A player who smashes into the opposition at any given opportunity ticks the box for me

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2292 times
Has Liked: 2165 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Sat May 16, 2020 1:48 pm

“ Everyone who comes in enjoys it and anyone that leaves is always gutted they've gone. They always wish they were back here. It's a really special place and we're a special force."

Funnily enough Glen Little said pretty much the same thing recently in an interview.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1693 times
Has Liked: 788 times

Post by warksclaret » Sat May 16, 2020 1:51 pm

Whats good about the Burnley team spirit its there for all to see. You you would think this stands us well with new players thinking about joining, and knowing they will be welcomed. No doubt SD has been a big influence on the chemistry. I say this because ex BFC players who have played under him, consistently sing his praises.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Sat May 16, 2020 3:30 pm

Reading that it makes you wonder what the hell has happened with Gibson

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sat May 16, 2020 3:33 pm

mdd2 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 3:30 pm
It's a lot easier to be happy when you're playing every week, rather than sitting there watching your career going down the toilet.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Sat May 16, 2020 3:41 pm

mdd2 wrote:
It's easy to be happy when you're in the team every week, an integral part of the team and both yours and the teams performances have been of a good standard.

Not saying Ashley Westwood wouldn't be saying this if he wasnt in the team and/or his performances were below par, but it's not hard to see why Gison and Vydra were unhappy with their lack of a chance and game time.

I'm led to believe Walter's wasn't exactly happy when he was here, and if some are to be believed Hendrick can't wait to get out.

I'm sure not every squad member will be happy with everything all if the time, and its surely easier to get on with things when at least you're playing.

Maybe that's why we keep a small squad as it's easier to keep the players happy and in a closer tight knit group.

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2292 times
Has Liked: 2165 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Sat May 16, 2020 3:42 pm

mdd2 wrote:
I do think his situation was unique, he was a top player on the verge of the England squad then the forgotten footballer! Nobody’s fault as I wouldn’t have played him either in front of Mee & Tarks , it’s life as a footballer but just not something he was used to.
This user liked this post: nil_desperandum

Steve-Harpers-perm

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sat May 16, 2020 3:50 pm

MACCA wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 3:41 pm
It's easy to be happy when you're in the team every week, an integral part of the team and both yours and the teams performances have been of a good standard.

Not saying Ashley Westwood wouldn't be saying this if he wasnt in the team and/or his performances were below par, but it's not hard to see why Gison and Vydra were unhappy with their lack of a chance and game time.

I'm led to believe Walter's wasn't exactly happy when he was here, and if some are to be believed Hendrick can't wait to get out.

I'm sure not every squad member will be happy with everything all if the time, and its surely easier to get on with things when at least you're playing.

Maybe that's why we keep a small squad as it's easier to keep the players happy and in a closer tight knit group.
Not surprised Walters wasn’t happy while he was here given he was injured for most of it.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Sat May 16, 2020 3:51 pm

Burnley1989 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 3:42 pm
I do think his situation was unique, he was a top player on the verge of the England squad then the forgotten footballer! Nobody’s fault as I wouldn’t have played him either in front of Mee & Tarks , it’s life as a footballer but just not something he was used to.
The problem was he was back up to Ben Mee, and even when he had a dip in form he was still the club captain, si would have taken something serious for him to be dropped.
Many including Gibson himself probably saw he deserved a chance, sadly he was and is never going to get that chance, not surprising he got frustrated.

He was like you say a big player, former club captain and being talked about as a potential England international, maybe a younger pro learning the ropes ( similar to what Tarky and Pope were ) would have had more patience and been able to sit tight and happy with the lack of opportunities.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Sat May 16, 2020 3:52 pm

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 3:50 pm
Not surprised Walters wasn’t happy while he was here given he was injured for most of it.
I think he had a lot of thinking time whilst he was here too, I think the injury didn't help, but think he had more than his fair share of other issues going on too.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sat May 16, 2020 4:05 pm

MACCA wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 3:41 pm

Hendrick can't wait to get out?
He's made 139 appearances in 4 years at Burnley, so if he can't wait to get out it won't be due to lack of game time.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Sat May 16, 2020 4:39 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 4:05 pm
Hendrick can't wait to get out?
He's made 139 appearances in 4 years at Burnley, so if he can't wait to get out it won't be due to lack of game time.

I know, just reporting what's been said.
So he's had game time, no injuries, but wants out.
Not hard to see why Gibson wants out, no game time yet no injuries either.

Targetman
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 46 times

Post by Targetman » Sat May 16, 2020 5:57 pm

MACCA wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 4:39 pm
I know, just reporting what's been said.
So he's had game time, no injuries, but wants out.
Not hard to see why Gibson wants out, no game time yet no injuries either.
Where has this been said? Was it a reliable source who told you he can't wait to get out or are you just repeating idle gossip?

He presumably has had an offer from elsewhere hence the reason why he hasn't signed a new contract but that doesn't necessarily mean he can't wait to get out.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1693 times
Has Liked: 788 times

Post by warksclaret » Sat May 16, 2020 6:18 pm

Have to say if "Hendrick cant wait to get out", then to me he has not shown it and been very professional, particularly as you could argue he is being asked to play out wide, and also he is one of the most subbed players, as changes are invariably one of the wide four midfielders, or a striker. For me the player that might want to get out quicker rather than later is Brady-surely the "forgotten player " in the squad, and a shadow of the early potential he showed.
I am wondering whether in light of the current situation, if Hendrick does not have a concrete offer, that he might be thinking the grass is now greener at Burnley. Lets hope so owing to his versatility
This user liked this post: Taffy on the wing

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Sat May 16, 2020 6:58 pm

Targetman wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 5:57 pm
Where has this been said? Was it a reliable source who told you he can't wait to get out or are you just repeating idle gossip?

He presumably has had an offer from elsewhere hence the reason why he hasn't signed a new contract but that doesn't necessarily mean he can't wait to get out.

Several people said it, some who claim to know more than most.

But we can say, doesnt want to be in if that's better?

If its s club players dont want to leave, and all is good surely a player offered a new deal wouldn't want to be walking away from it to start somewhere unknown.

But seems Jeff is like 80% of footballers and is driven by greed and finance, and for that it says more about him than our club/squad.

Not many leave us and go on to better things, I dont think Jeff will be doing an Ings, Trippier or Keane, more like a Gray.
I hope the extra cash comforts him.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Sat May 16, 2020 6:59 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 6:18 pm
Have to say if "Hendrick cant wait to get out", then to me he has not shown it and been very professional, particularly as you could argue he is being asked to play out wide, and also he is one of the most subbed players, as changes are invariably one of the wide four midfielders, or a striker. For me the player that might want to get out quicker rather than later is Brady-surely the "forgotten player " in the squad, and a shadow of the early potential he showed.
I am wondering whether in light of the current situation, if Hendrick does not have a concrete offer, that he might be thinking the grass is now greener at Burnley. Lets hope so owing to his versatility
Nail on head, well put, fully agree.

Targetman
Has Liked: 46 times

Post by Targetman » Sat May 16, 2020 7:16 pm

MACCA wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 6:58 pm
Several people said it, some who claim to know more than most.

But we can say, doesnt want to be in if that's better?

If its s club players dont want to leave, and all is good surely a player offered a new deal wouldn't want to be walking away from it to start somewhere unknown.

But seems Jeff is like 80% of footballers and is driven by greed and finance, and for that it says more about him than our club/squad.

Not many leave us and go on to better things, I dont think Jeff will be doing an Ings, Trippier or Keane, more like a Gray.
I hope the extra cash comforts him.
Several people like who? Name the people you are talking about.

I agree that not many players who leave us go on to better things, as you say a lot of them are driven by money only. But I'm curious to know where your information about Hendrick has actually come from.

ecc
Been Liked: 1407 times
Has Liked: 1278 times

Post by ecc » Sat May 16, 2020 8:10 pm

Something (or "somethings") is right at TM because this lad started playing the best football in his career once he'd settled in at our club. And he realises that.

I must admit to having been underwhelmed when we signed him but so glad the lad's proven me wrong.

Darnhill Claret
Has Liked: 1035 times

Post by Darnhill Claret » Sat May 16, 2020 8:13 pm

I will just make a comment on Ashley Westwood. I sit in the Bob Lord and the Burnley subs do their half-time warm up just in front of where I sit, two rows from the front. When Ashley W was a regular on the bench he still had a smile on his face during these warm ups. I would say he was possibly the one who was usually the biggest smiler and from that less likely to be fazed by not being a regular starter so his positive character would have stood him in good stead when things don’t go as planned. The majority of the first team squad have had periods bench-warming that none of them would have enjoyed. Ashley Westwood dealt with it in a very positive way in my opinion. That is the sort of thing taken into consideration when looking at a players character before signing them. Ben Gibson just didn’t go to plan. An unfortunate casualty as Vydra almost became. Now he’s a genuine squad member.

Steve-Harpers-perm

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sat May 16, 2020 8:34 pm

Targetman wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 7:16 pm
Several people like who? Name the people you are talking about.

I agree that not many players who leave us go on to better things, as you say a lot of them are driven by money only. But I'm curious to know where your information about Hendrick has actually come from.
The same people who aren’t renewing season tickets?