Joey Barton calling a spade a spade

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 651 times
Has Liked: 2879 times

Re: Joey Barton calling a spade a spade

Post by Burnley Ace » Sat May 16, 2020 11:26 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 10:08 pm
I'm getting a bit miffed by the concept that highly paid sportsmen have any duty to give their money away.
The tax that Boots has avoided runs to billions, and that is OUR money
They don’t have a duty at all but to brag about giving £30k away when they are paid £100k a week isn’t special.

bobinho
Been Liked: 4070 times
Has Liked: 6538 times

Post by bobinho » Sat May 16, 2020 11:30 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 1:28 pm
Deeney is putting health before wealth. Fair play to him.
Easy enough when there’s millions in the bank. What would his stance be if he really WAS broke?

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sat May 16, 2020 11:42 pm

I would say the most difficult thing about a footballer taking the stand Deeney has taken isn't anything to do with money but the backlash and pressure they will come under from the alpha male warrior type environment that is top level sport.

You just have to look at how difficult footballers find it to be open about sexuality and mental health issues to realise that standing up and saying you are scared about the risk to your health would not be easy in that culture and environment

Not only does Deeney need to be listened too but we should be trying to encourage any other players or staff with genuine concerns to feel comfortable at expressing those views without the kind of attitude we are seeing on here

This doesn't mean Deeney's view is correct and that we should not be restarting football but to move forward in the best way the true views of everyone needs to be understand so the best solution can be found taking onboard all viewpoints

If a footballer got offered the chance to not play but give up their wages for the period I think the thing they would still struggle with and which would probably see them back down is not the money but the thought of being seen to let your team and club down (see the attitude on here along the lines of I wouldn't like to be stuck in a trench with them)
These 2 users liked this post: Burnley1989 cricketfieldclarets

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Sun May 17, 2020 12:00 am

For footballers who are worried about infecting their children, the following figures might console them.

Number of children who have died up to May 1st with coronavirus = 2.
Number of children who die in a typical year with flu = 166.

So if they won't play because of the coronavirus risk to their children, then if they're logical they won't play at all because of the flu risk.

As for the few that have other strong reasons to self isolate, such as elderly or ill parent s who cannot be cared for any other way, or pregnant wives or other reasons - well, they can do what everyone else in the country does. Make a decision. Play / don't play / get paid / don't get paid. They have a free choice and being rich men, they have more and better options. They don't leave a garden centre closed because one of the staff is pregnant, so no need to stop football being played because of a few hard cases.

chipbutty
Been Liked: 133 times
Has Liked: 131 times

Post by chipbutty » Sun May 17, 2020 12:06 am

Minimum wage shop workers risk their lives every day to keep the country going.
I`m sure they`d risk a 90 minute football game for 6 times their yearly salary

JohnMcGreal
Been Liked: 1344 times
Has Liked: 438 times

Post by JohnMcGreal » Sun May 17, 2020 6:56 am

chipbutty wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 12:06 am
Minimum wage shop workers risk their lives every day to keep the country going.
I`m sure they`d risk a 90 minute football game for 6 times their yearly salary
But that's the big difference, isn't it?

Shop workers, and many other essential workers, have been performing duties which are vital in order for the country to function. I'm sure we're all incredibly grateful for that.

Playing a few games of football isn't even remotely important right now, so I can understand why some players are reluctant to put themselves and others at risk unnecessarily.

Sadly, the virus isn't under control in this country yet, so I see no reason why footballers should be rushed back at this stage.
This user liked this post: claretfern

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sun May 17, 2020 9:16 am

JohnMcGreal wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 6:56 am
But that's the big difference, isn't it?

Shop workers, and many other essential workers, have been performing duties which are vital in order for the country to function. I'm sure we're all incredibly grateful for that.

Playing a few games of football isn't even remotely important right now, so I can understand why some players are reluctant to put themselves and others at risk unnecessarily.

Sadly, the virus isn't under control in this country yet, so I see no reason why footballers should be rushed back at this stage.
And until a vaccine is found the virus will never be under control

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Sun May 17, 2020 9:18 am

Spijed wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 9:16 am
And until a vaccine is found the virus will never be under control.

Germany showed how safe it was to play football this weekend despite players being in close contact.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 690 times

Post by Tall Paul » Sun May 17, 2020 9:27 am

Burnley Ace wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 11:26 pm
They don’t have a duty at all but to brag about giving £30k away when they are paid £100k a week isn’t special.
Good job he hasn't been bragging about it then.

JohnMcGreal

Post by JohnMcGreal » Sun May 17, 2020 9:30 am

Spijed wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 9:18 am
Well the example you gave, Germany, is a country that has the virus under far greater control than the UK.

Maybe when our daily new cases are in the hundreds, and not the thousands, we can start to think about playing games behind closed doors.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Sun May 17, 2020 9:42 am

JohnMcGreal wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 9:30 am
Well the example you gave, Germany, is a country that has the virus under far greater control than the UK.

Maybe when our daily new cases are in the hundreds, and not the thousands, we can start to think about playing games behind closed doors.
What has the number of cases got to do with the risk factor on the pitch?

A German footballer has as much chance of catching the virus on the pitch as an English player has, which is negligible.

Troy Deeney, for example, is no more at risk playing in an English game than he would be playing in a German match if all the players are tested regularly.

JohnMcGreal

Post by JohnMcGreal » Sun May 17, 2020 9:54 am

Spijed wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 9:42 am
What has the number of cases got to do with the risk factor on the pitch?

A German footballer has as much chance of catching the virus on the pitch as an English player has, which is negligible.

Troy Deeney, for example, is no more at risk playing in an English game than he would be playing in a German match if all the players are tested regularly.
Well, for one it shows the prevalence of the virus in that particular country. You can also look at the number of active cases, the rate of infection, hospital capacity, PPE stocks, testing capacity etc. All things that need to be evaluated before restrictions are eased.

Germany have probably done that and come to the decision that they can safely play games behind closed doors. We should be doing the same, and if we're in good shape in all those areas, then the case to play games behind closed doors becomes much stronger and easier to make.

I understand why people are looking at Germany and wondering why we can't play games behind closed doors like that. But the situation is very different. We are not in the same position as Germany.

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 651 times
Has Liked: 2879 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Sun May 17, 2020 10:01 am

Burnley Ace wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 9:24 pm
None, that’s why he’s publicised this one.
Once is unlucky, twice is really unlucky but when all your “anonymous” donations are publicised that’s not an accident.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8654 times

Post by IanMcL » Sun May 17, 2020 10:04 am

Thought this was Joey making contact with our 'Spades'.

Hello Spades.