Schools

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 10202 times

Re: Schools

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sun May 17, 2020 1:36 pm

taio wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 1:17 pm
No, not any risk. Risks have to be taken in life. If the risk becomes too great then clearly it shouldn't happen. But if it's low risk and can mitigated then we need to get society moving again, including children going to school on a phased and cautious basis.
Fair enough but with infections still rising and the R number not shifting - yet - two weeks from now may not be the time for a return, however phased or cautious.

We shall see but I hope the government stops pandering to the likes of dimwit Macca by painting teachers, many of whom are parents themselves (gold-plated pensions are a thing of the past btw), as some kind of militant rabble.

They are not, they are concerned about their loved ones, themselves and the kids whose development they are responsible for. The fact they don't trust the government at the moment - who does ? - makes perfect sense.

This is the government deflecting, clumsily, from their previous deadly mistakes, clearly anxious to pin the blame on someone, anyone, else.

New slogan, Orwell's "Animal Farm" - style........ "NHS and Care Home Key Workers Good ! Teacher Key Workers Baaaaaaad !"
These 6 users liked this post: Steve-Harpers-perm JohnDearyMe Silkyskills1 Anonymous BurningBeard conyoviejo

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Sun May 17, 2020 1:43 pm

MACCA wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 12:11 pm
But many schools are operating at around 25% capacity now, who's to say in 3 weeks the R rate is really low and the next step of upping the schools operating figure to 50% isn't the best thing for children, their parents and the country.

I fully back parents who are fully isolating as they are protecting their children best the see fit, but there are many who wont be sending them in for various reasons yet trust 3 or 4 takeaway staff to prepare their food in a confined space not knowing what measure the staff or their families at home are doing to stop the spread of the virus.

Id trust teachers to put my child's health and well being first long before half a dozen people I don't know who prepare, handle and deliver my takeaway once or twice a week...
Agree totally about takeaways. I like them as much as anyone but there’s no way on earth I’d order one now. Why risk having extra people prepare the food. The hygiene in some is debatable at the best of times anyway without this. My inclination to eat Chinese food after this has diminished too. The way their government has handled this internationally is appalling imo.

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Sun May 17, 2020 1:44 pm

evensteadiereddie wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 1:36 pm
Fair enough but with infections still rising and the R number not shifting - yet - two weeks from now may not be the time for a return, however phased or cautious.

We shall see but I hope the government stops pandering to the likes of dimwit Macca by painting teachers, many of whom are parents themselves (gold-plated pensions are a thing of the past btw), as some kind of militant rabble.

They are not, they are concerned about their loved ones, themselves and the kids whose development they are responsible for. The fact they don't trust the government at the moment - who does ? - makes perfect sense.

This is the government deflecting, clumsily, from their previous deadly mistakes, clearly anxious to pin the blame on someone, anyone, else.

New slogan, Orwell's "Animal Farm" - style........ "NHS and Care Home Key Workers Good ! Teacher Key Workers Baaaaaaad !"
It's why it makes sense to have a conditional plan, flexibility and option to defer.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sun May 17, 2020 1:48 pm

taio wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 1:44 pm
It's why it makes sense to have a conditional plan, flexibility and option to defer.
Indeed and also makes sense for a government to stop trying to demonise a profession in the current climate.

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sun May 17, 2020 1:49 pm

Absolutley, taio, but to encourage thickos to start labelling justifiably worried teaching staff as lazy, disinterested scroungers is disgraceful.

It was only a few weeks ago, they were being thanked for what they were doing. Typical divide and rule tactic.

Poor, poor government and, sadly, about par for the course.

taio

Post by taio » Sun May 17, 2020 1:51 pm

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 1:48 pm
Indeed and also makes sense for a government to stop trying to demonise a profession in the current climate.
Clearly the Department for Education needs to work with and support schools.

taio

Post by taio » Sun May 17, 2020 1:53 pm

evensteadiereddie wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 1:49 pm
Absolutley, taio, but to encourage thickos to start labelling justifiably worried teaching staff as lazy, disinterested scroungers is disgraceful.

It was only a few weeks ago, they were being thanked for what they were doing. Typical divide and rule tactic.

Not a new thing some people not having a good opinion of the teaching profession.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1678 times
Has Liked: 2513 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Sun May 17, 2020 2:00 pm

taio wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 1:51 pm
Clearly the Department for Education needs to work with and support schools.
I'm all for innovation.
These 3 users liked this post: Steve-Harpers-perm BurningBeard Claret Till I Die

BurningBeard
Been Liked: 196 times
Has Liked: 158 times

Post by BurningBeard » Sun May 17, 2020 2:10 pm

jackmiggins wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 1:18 pm
Gove referred to Denmark - a country that locked its border early! I’ll keep on banging my drum about this - we continued to allow any Tom, Dick or Murgatroyd to enter this country (not to mention the thousands of Chinese university students in January) and now we’re paying for it!
They also did a great deal of planning, consultation, collaboration and confidence building. Our mob can't even consult their own people, i.e. DfE chief scientific adviser.

Gateshead council leader said the other day that there's evidence to show that R there is above 1. That's less than 10 miles away from me as the crow flies.

Edit, to add, they are still using 'Stay at home'.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2490 times
Has Liked: 761 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sun May 17, 2020 2:24 pm

If the government have any sense they’ll keep Gove well out of the schools debate.

He’s absolutely toxic with educational professionals.

jackmiggins
Been Liked: 197 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Post by jackmiggins » Sun May 17, 2020 2:27 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 2:24 pm
If the government have any sense they’ll keep Gove well out of the schools debate.

He’s absolutely toxic with educational professionals.
Toxic with everything he touches as far as I’m concerned - I’m not a violent man, but I must say he’s as slappable as anyone I’ve ever seen.

Clarinetclaret
Been Liked: 130 times
Has Liked: 6 times

Post by Clarinetclaret » Sun May 17, 2020 2:28 pm

MACCA wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 12:11 pm

I fully back parents who are fully isolating as they are protecting their children best the see fit, but there are many who wont be sending them in for various reasons yet trust 3 or 4 takeaway staff to prepare their food in a confined space not knowing what measure the staff or their families at home are doing to stop the spread of the virus.

Id trust teachers to put my child's health and well being first long before half a dozen people I don't know who prepare, handle and deliver my takeaway once or twice a week...
Yes you're right the country is full of people who have caught the virus from Chicken Tikka Masala.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Sun May 17, 2020 2:31 pm

Clarinetclaret wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 2:28 pm
Yes you're right the country is full of people who have caught the virus from Chicken Tikka Masala.
:lol: :lol:

You're right, probably the same amount of people who will catch it from a school pen, a bus/train ticket or a football...

Steve-Harpers-perm

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sun May 17, 2020 3:18 pm

At least the many who haven’t renewed season tickets won’t be having to risk it on the turf.

EarbyClaret
Been Liked: 498 times

Post by EarbyClaret » Sun May 17, 2020 3:27 pm

My wife's a primary school teacher. Her school has been open throughout - including the Easter holidays. She worked on Easter Monday - so that key-worker's children and other priority groups could be there.

They are working non-stop to try and find a way of making their school safe for a return and they understand the importance to the children's education. They fully understand the reasoning behind getting the Y6 kids in - but the reception/year one groups are practically impossible to manage safely.

It's too early to do this. We don't have the virus under proper control and this move will expose everyone involved - including their families - to greater risk. We are trying to play catch-up with other European countries whilst seemingly forgetting we took close-down measures several weeks after they did.
These 10 users liked this post: BurningBeard Swizzlestick Steve-Harpers-perm JohnDearyMe evensteadiereddie Claret Till I Die jackmiggins ClaretMov tiger76 Blackrod

BurningBeard

Post by BurningBeard » Sun May 17, 2020 3:42 pm

EarbyClaret wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 3:27 pm
My wife's a primary school teacher. Her school has been open throughout - including the Easter holidays. She worked on Easter Monday - so that key-worker's children and other priority groups could be there.

They are working non-stop to try and find a way of making their school safe for a return and they understand the importance to the children's education. They fully understand the reasoning behind getting the Y6 kids in - but the reception/year one groups are practically impossible to manage safely.

It's too early to do this. We don't have the virus under proper control and this move will expose everyone involved - including their families - to greater risk. We are trying to play catch-up with other European countries whilst seemingly forgetting we took close-down measures several weeks after they did.
Hats off to Mrs Earby. No doubt the usual suspects will be along shortly to tell us she's wrong / lazy etc, but in the meantime please pass on my thanks for her hard work and care.
These 4 users liked this post: Steve-Harpers-perm evensteadiereddie ClaretMov tiger76

Steve-Harpers-perm

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sun May 17, 2020 3:45 pm

BurningBeard wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 3:42 pm
Hats off to Mrs Earby. No doubt the usual suspects will be along shortly to tell us she's wrong / lazy etc, but in the meantime please pass on my thanks for her hard work and care.
Yes it doesn’t quite fit in with the narrative of the Daily Mail and co.

EarbyClaret
Been Liked: 498 times

Post by EarbyClaret » Sun May 17, 2020 3:53 pm

Thank you for those kind words - much appreciated

Much like NHS staff teachers are professionals doing the job to the best of their ability under the circumstances. Speaking from personal experience they are very resentful at the way the return to school debate has become politicised

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Sun May 17, 2020 3:57 pm

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 3:45 pm
Yes it doesn’t quite fit in with the narrative of the Daily Mail and co.
Was the daily mail not basing their story on comments from David Blunkett... Who, the last time I looked was well and truly left wing labour

Steve-Harpers-perm

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sun May 17, 2020 3:59 pm

Yes also don’t understand why this has become political like I don’t understand why some people feel the need criticise other professions.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sun May 17, 2020 5:05 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 11:52 am
Surely all councils are following government advice and guidelines rather than seeking out their own scientific advice?

I was reasonably confident about sending my son back to nursery in June but hearing Gove say it will be safe has immediately made me think it won't be.
I can't remember the councils offhand,but Liverpool was mentioned on the national news as one local authority that was reluctant to reopen schools.

The problem is that not all areas have the same R rate,or the same spike in cases,London's now on a downward curve,yet parts of the north are still seeing rising cases.

It was discussed on QT this week about different rules for varying areas,dependent on their current status,but it was dismissed as too hard to enforce just now.

The government minister did say they'd keep it under review,whatever that means.

Germany seems able to make decisions at a regional level,so why not England?

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sun May 17, 2020 5:10 pm

Reckless Incompetence and greed.
This user liked this post: jackmiggins

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5521 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Sun May 17, 2020 5:10 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 5:05 pm
I can't remember the councils offhand,but Liverpool was mentioned on the national news as one local authority that was reluctant to reopen schools.

The problem is that not all areas have the same R rate,or the same spike in cases,London's now on a downward curve,yet parts of the north are still seeing rising cases.

It was discussed on QT this week about different rules for varying areas,dependent on their current status,but it was dismissed as too hard to enforce just now.

The government minister did say they'd keep it under review,whatever that means.

Germany seems able to make decisions at a regional level,so why not England?
Yes, but it regional decisions would still be made using advice from the CMO, sage etc wouldn't it?

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sun May 17, 2020 5:16 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 5:10 pm
Yes, but it regional decisions would still be made using advice from the CMO, sage etc wouldn't it?
Yes i guess so,but that's why you can't have a blanket national approach to this,what works in one area may not work in another.

BurningBeard

Post by BurningBeard » Sun May 17, 2020 5:44 pm

The schools decision was taken in cabinet, not by DfE in conjunction with their chief scientific adviser. No modelling has been done by DfE and the government seems reluctant to publish its scientific advice that had informed the decision. The schools have only belatedly been given govt advice about reopening for R, 1 and 6, and had been left to their own devices prior to this.

I would love to send my child back but until the government is more transparent, provides more confidence, works with the eductors rather than dictating to then, and the R is lower in my area then I won't be prepared to.

jackmiggins
Been Liked: 197 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Post by jackmiggins » Sun May 17, 2020 5:45 pm

Support here for Earby’s wife. Not acceptable that we should expect schools to be put forward as an experiment! There is insufficient evidence on....... basically anything to do with this virus. Shame on the government, shame on the ‘supposed’ experienced practitioners (both sat on fat back arses for years evidently) and the media.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Sun May 17, 2020 5:57 pm

MACCA wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 12:16 pm
Im sure there's been teachers who have passed the infection on to a child too, who has in turn infected their parents who should be key workers who then cannot work as they have to isolate or they have become ill.
Seen many teachers or their partners mixing with family still, ordering takeout, playing sports, sending or receiving step kids to their 2 different homes as "well I'm working any way and not isolating so there's no difference" or " im in contact with 30 people a day, what's another 10 going to matter" type stance.
Why are you so sure that a child has infected his or her parents? Up to 20th April the WHO hadn't found a single instance anywhere in the world of that happening.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/0 ... ce-review/

dsr

Post by dsr » Sun May 17, 2020 6:09 pm

evensteadiereddie wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 1:49 pm

I wouldn't label teachers as lazy, disinterested scroungers. Their union leaders, on the other hand ...

The union leaders, for one, obviously don't see teachers as key workers. The NHS are key workers, supermarket staff are key workers, postmen and delivery men are key workers; not teachers. In the second round, garden centre workers are less key but are back to work, so are other shop workers, joiners and builders. But not teachers. Teachers' unions see all these people going back to work. many of them for the benefit of others and not necessarily because they want to, and think "Aye aye - that's not for us. Seems like too much of a hard time for our members." and tells them not only to opt out of going back to work, but also to opt out of talking about going back. Risks are for key workers and the brave; teachers, so their union leaders tell us, are neither.

So the teachers, most of whom let's face it have nice houses with gardens and are comfortably off, won't even enter negotiations with the government in when to get back to work. The potentially abused children, the inner-city children, the children with no gardens, the children with no computer, the children whose parents are going dotty with frustration, the children who do not get proper food at home - when do those children get back to school? The unions don't really care. The unions are for the teachers.

If the teachers don't want people to feel that they are dodging the column sitting comfortably at home while their vital work is not being done - then get new union leaders. Resign in droves from the unions that are misrepresenting you; join another union or become non-union for a little while. Let your leaders know that they are not speaking for you.

dsr

Post by dsr » Sun May 17, 2020 6:10 pm

Claret Till I Die wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 11:53 am
My wife is a head teacher and I can guarantee that she doesn't have 12-13 weeks a year holiday, have every weekend and bank holiday off. In fact she's currently writing up risk assessments, as I type, so that the kids can possibly go back to her school.

She's worked every day since the outbreak, even over the weekends doing a job that she loves but when you get parents telling her that they can't wait for their kids to go back to school so they can "see their mates and learn something as they'redoing their heads in" it goes against the grain. Packs have been sent out each week for the parents to teach their own little darlings so I don't see what they would've learnt in school that they can't have at home.
For someone who is married to a teacher, you have a very low opinion of teachers.

dsr

Post by dsr » Sun May 17, 2020 6:15 pm

evensteadiereddie wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 1:12 pm
"Im 100% sure that if there is a high risk to childrens health when its time to go back, then it will be instantly review and be a none starter."

Any risk, surely ?

And if there's any risk to teachers and support staff also, high or otherwise, we should learn from the earlier mistakes the government made, ones that killed hundreds needlessly, review the situation and make it a non-starter.
If you wish to close schools until there is no risk to children's health, then what are you going to do about another viral disease, far more deadly to children than coronavirus? Flu killed, on average, 166 children (hosptial deaths only) per year from 2001-2008 (it probably still is doing so, but I can't find later figures). Coronavirus has killed 2 children under 15. Add to that the known fact that children spread flu around and the probabilty that they don't spread coronavirus around, and it means that if we can't risk educating the children because of coronavirus, then they will go uneducated permanently, because schools will never be safe from flu.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun May 17, 2020 6:18 pm

dsr wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 6:09 pm
I wouldn't label teachers as lazy, disinterested scroungers. Their union leaders, on the other hand ...

The union leaders, for one, obviously don't see teachers as key workers. The NHS are key workers, supermarket staff are key workers, postmen and delivery men are key workers; not teachers. In the second round, garden centre workers are less key but are back to work, so are other shop workers, joiners and builders. But not teachers. Teachers' unions see all these people going back to work. many of them for the benefit of others and not necessarily because they want to, and think "Aye aye - that's not for us. Seems like too much of a hard time for our members." and tells them not only to opt out of going back to work, but also to opt out of talking about going back. Risks are for key workers and the brave; teachers, so their union leaders tell us, are neither.

So the teachers, most of whom let's face it have nice houses with gardens and are comfortably off, won't even enter negotiations with the government in when to get back to work. The potentially abused children, the inner-city children, the children with no gardens, the children with no computer, the children whose parents are going dotty with frustration, the children who do not get proper food at home - when do those children get back to school? The unions don't really care. The unions are for the teachers.

If the teachers don't want people to feel that they are dodging the column sitting comfortably at home while their vital work is not being done - then get new union leaders. Resign in droves from the unions that are misrepresenting you; join another union or become non-union for a little while. Let your leaders know that they are not speaking for you.
You're spouting nonsense again about the teachers unions. The NEU officially requested talks with the govt on 3 occasions to try and work together on how best to get kids back into schools.

The govt refused to engage with them and took a more dictatorial approach. It is this kind of approach by the govt that creates conflict and barriers and breaks down trust between the govt and the unions and their members

This govt needs to understand and learn quickly that in a crisis like this to get things done especially where some risk has to be involved it needs support and trust from the people and organisations involved. This requires honesty, transparency and collaboration which the govt seems to still really struggle with
These 3 users liked this post: ClaretMov tiger76 longsidepies

BurningBeard

Post by BurningBeard » Sun May 17, 2020 6:23 pm

Stakeholder management you say...

dsr

Post by dsr » Sun May 17, 2020 6:26 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 6:18 pm
You're spouting nonsense again about the teachers unions. The NEU officially requested talks with the govt on 3 occasions to try and work together on how best to get kids back into schools.

The govt refused to engage with them and took a more dictatorial approach. It is this kind of approach by the govt that creates conflict and barriers and breaks down trust between the govt and the unions and their members

This govt needs to understand and learn quickly that in a crisis like this to get things done especially where some risk has to be involved it needs support and trust from the people and organisations involved. This requires honesty, transparency and collaboration which the govt seems to still really struggle with
I'm sure the schools have been making plans for weeks. They now have government approval, so surely it should be all systems go.

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sun May 17, 2020 6:34 pm

All systems go when, and only, when it is safe and sensible to do so.
At the moment it's not so the unions are, quite rightly, saying no. The circumstances could change over the next couple of weeks, if not it's all systems stop.
These 2 users liked this post: conyoviejo ClaretMov

BigRedrose
Been Liked: 153 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by BigRedrose » Sun May 17, 2020 6:53 pm

evensteadiereddie wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 6:34 pm
At the moment it's not so the unions are, quite rightly, saying no. The circumstances could change over the next couple of weeks, if not it's all systems stop.
Ok, so when in your eyes would that be? When in you humble opinion would it be safe and sensible?

Claret Till I Die
Been Liked: 1134 times
Has Liked: 1608 times

Post by Claret Till I Die » Sun May 17, 2020 6:55 pm

dsr wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 6:10 pm
For someone who is married to a teacher, you have a very low opinion of teachers.
Not at all dsr. I'm all for the safety of the teachers & kids though

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Sun May 17, 2020 7:03 pm

BigRedrose wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 6:53 pm
Ok, so when in your eyes would that be? When in you humble opinion would it be safe and sensible?
I think Eddie is right in what he says. My sons a teacher and I wouldn't want him returning until it's safe to do so.. I would say wait until after the summer break and start again in September,that is if it's safe to do so..

MrTopTier
Been Liked: 1036 times
Has Liked: 965 times

Post by MrTopTier » Sun May 17, 2020 7:16 pm

Just to be clear, schools have not been closed for those children who are deemed to be vulnerable, they have not been closed for children whose parents who are key workers. They have also been in school for these children throughout the Easter holidays.
This user liked this post: BurningBeard

ClaretMov
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 822 times

Post by ClaretMov » Sun May 17, 2020 7:18 pm

MACCA wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 11:42 am
Teachers in "I don't want to go back to work" shock.

Covid19 the next in a long line of reasons as to why they need/want more time off, better pay, better pensions etc.

Anyone would think they're doing 12 hour shifts in a factory on minimum wage just to eat.
Hand on heart don't think I'm aware of any other profession that complain so much about their pay or conditions, fakebook is flooded with them blowing their own trumpets calling each other heroes we should all spare a thought for.

If its really that poor working conditions, poor pay package, poor working hours, poor 12-13 weeks off a year, poor having every weekend and bank holiday off, then just pack it in.

PR!CK
These 2 users liked this post: Bertiebeehead Steve-Harpers-perm

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Sun May 17, 2020 7:22 pm

conyoviejo wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 7:03 pm
I think Eddie is right in what he says. My sons a teacher and I wouldn't want him returning until it's safe to do so.. I would say wait until after the summer break and start again in September,that is if it's safe to do so..
Well if your mon were my mon, I would tell him it his duty to get his arse back to school and do his bit to
educate our youngsters, who are uneffected by covid

If your lad is fit with no under lying health issues theirs no reasons why he can't return to work, the same goes for the rest of the country

burnmark
Been Liked: 593 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by burnmark » Sun May 17, 2020 7:30 pm

‘ So the teachers, most of whom let's face it have nice houses with gardens and are comfortably off, won't even enter negotiations with the government in when to get back to work. The potentially abused children, the inner-city children, the children with no gardens, the children with no computer, the children whose parents are going dotty with frustration, the children who do not get proper food at home - when do those children get back to school? The unions don't really care. The unions are for the teachers.’

I’ll be honest with you but that has really wound me up. I’m back in school tomorrow to look after a number of vulnerable students and key worker children. I’m ready to go back in full time whenever I’m told to and despite what some people on here would have you believe, I’m looking forward to getting back in.

I’ve had colleagues drive around the borough delivering free meals to homes that need it, laptops been dropped off to students who can’t access work online, staff work through their holidays (I guarantee a number will volunteer to do summer holidays too if needs be), make phonecalls on a weekly basis to our most vulnerable students and carry out home visits to check in on them and their families. None of that has been done for the unions (a lot of it is in fact against union advice) but for the kids. The upmost reason why we as teachers go into the profession.
These 5 users liked this post: BurningBeard ClaretMov Top Claret BigRedrose longsidepies

ClaretMov
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 822 times

Post by ClaretMov » Sun May 17, 2020 7:39 pm

"teachers, most of whom let's face it have nice houses with gardens and are comfortably off.....

There is a very good reason for this...........a lot of hard work, sacrifice, dedication and commitment.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2490 times
Has Liked: 761 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sun May 17, 2020 7:53 pm

dsr wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 6:09 pm

I've no idea why people insist on spouting about subjects they know precious little about, but I do know that this is the sort of misinformed post that often results.
These 3 users liked this post: MrTopTier Bordeauxclaret Greenmile

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Sun May 17, 2020 7:57 pm

BurningBeard wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 3:42 pm
She’s worked throughout which is helping others. Why would anyone call her lazy even the ‘usual suspects’ whoever they are.

AfloatinClaret
Been Liked: 559 times
Has Liked: 1393 times

Post by AfloatinClaret » Sun May 17, 2020 7:59 pm

evensteadiereddie wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 6:34 pm
At the moment it's not so the unions are, quite rightly, saying no. The circumstance and most s could change over the next couple of weeks, if not it's all systems stop.
Though presumably these same teachers and most particularly their Union Reps remain in favour of the food, water, power, communications, security, medical etc. workers, be they involved anywhere in the production/transport/delivery/retailing, etc. of these necessities continuing to work, thereby ensuring that it remains safe and comfortable for the teachers to stay home on 100% pay?

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Sun May 17, 2020 8:00 pm

Top Claret wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 7:22 pm
Well if your mon were my mon, I would tell him it his duty to get his arse back to school and do his bit to
educate our youngsters, who are uneffected by covid

If your lad is fit with no under lying health issues theirs no reasons why he can't return to work, the same goes for the rest of the country

Don't you fret T.C. ,he's looking forward to getting back to teaching and can't wait to get started again.. 8-)

dsr

Post by dsr » Sun May 17, 2020 8:11 pm

burnmark wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 7:30 pm
‘ So the teachers, most of whom let's face it have nice houses with gardens and are comfortably off, won't even enter negotiations with the government in when to get back to work. The potentially abused children, the inner-city children, the children with no gardens, the children with no computer, the children whose parents are going dotty with frustration, the children who do not get proper food at home - when do those children get back to school? The unions don't really care. The unions are for the teachers.’

I’ll be honest with you but that has really wound me up. I’m back in school tomorrow to look after a number of vulnerable students and key worker children. I’m ready to go back in full time whenever I’m told to and despite what some people on here would have you believe, I’m looking forward to getting back in.

I’ve had colleagues drive around the borough delivering free meals to homes that need it, laptops been dropped off to students who can’t access work online, staff work through their holidays (I guarantee a number will volunteer to do summer holidays too if needs be), make phonecalls on a weekly basis to our most vulnerable students and carry out home visits to check in on them and their families. None of that has been done for the unions (a lot of it is in fact against union advice) but for the kids. The upmost reason why we as teachers go into the profession.
Whoosh?

My entire post was about how the union leaders are portraying teachers as people who don't want to get involved and don't want to take risks. You have chopped three of the paragraphs with the result that it's less obvious what I'm on about. Please read the whole thing. Particularly the first line, which was fairly short and to the point, I thought.

Steve-Harpers-perm

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sun May 17, 2020 8:14 pm

How do you know most teachers have nice houses with gardens? Bit creepy.

dsr

Post by dsr » Sun May 17, 2020 8:14 pm

ClaretMov wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 7:39 pm
"teachers, most of whom let's face it have nice houses with gardens and are comfortably off.....

There is a very good reason for this...........a lot of hard work, sacrifice, dedication and commitment.
Exactly. So many teachers went into the profession to help children who badly need help, and they have reaped the rewards for their efforts. I have no criticism of that. But the unions, it appears, are standing in the way of teachers going back to work to help those who need help, on the basis that it's all very well for NHS workers to put themselves in danger for the greater good, but teachers? No thanks.

Teachers, if you want to go to work, go to work. Get on to your head teachers and let them know how you feel. You do not have to follow your union "bosses".

dsr

Post by dsr » Sun May 17, 2020 8:16 pm

Claret Till I Die wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 6:55 pm
Not at all dsr. I'm all for the safety of the teachers & kids though
Why would you say that a child at home would learn as much as a child being taught by a teacher, unless you thought the teacher wasn't doing any good?