Schools

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Re: Schools

Post by tiger76 » Wed May 20, 2020 7:42 pm

martin_p wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 7:03 pm
I’ve a son in year 1 too and I know the first thing he’ll want to do is hug his best friend. And he says he looking forward to playing out at lunchtime and the sorts of games he and his friends play. If the school is practicing social distancing he won’t be doing any of that.
I can't speak for that particular school,but on the national evening news it illustrated social distancing measures in practice,and the playground was out of bounds for a class of 5 year-olds,that's crazy surely being outdoors and getting exercise is their best defence against infections.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Thu May 21, 2020 1:11 pm

No immediate return in Scotland.

All Scotland's schools to reopen from 11 August

All Scotland's schools will reopen from 11 August, says Scotland's First Minister Nicola Sturgeon.

Staff will return during June to prepare classrooms for a "blended model" of in-school and at-home learning.

Goobs
Been Liked: 1462 times
Has Liked: 995 times

Post by Goobs » Thu May 21, 2020 2:03 pm

If schools don't return until August then mine will not be going back until the new year starts in September as we have our holidays booked in based around the original school year.

I assume all these teachers who don't feel safe will be cancelling their holidays and are isolating throughout this period due to them not feeling safe?

It is safe to say that SOME teachers are viewing this as an extended holiday on full pay and have got used to their new lifestyle and don't want that to change before the summer holidays now.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Thu May 21, 2020 2:26 pm

Goobs wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:03 pm
If schools don't return until August then mine will not be going back until the new year starts in September as we have our holidays booked in based around the original school year.

I assume all these teachers who don't feel safe will be cancelling their holidays and are isolating throughout this period due to them not feeling safe?

It is safe to say that SOME teachers are viewing this as an extended holiday on full pay and have got used to their new lifestyle and don't want that to change before the summer holidays now.
It’s safer and more accurate saying what you have said than the unions who have said every single teacher wants to return to work.
And the only reason I know that to be a fact is because I know more than one teacher (which therefore equates to “some”) who feels this way.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Thu May 21, 2020 2:36 pm

TVC15 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:26 pm
It’s safer and more accurate saying what you have said than the unions who have said every single teacher wants to return to work.
And the only reason I know that to be a fact is because I know more than one teacher (which therefore equates to “some”) who feels this way.
I also know of 2, one who tutors my daughter out of hours for a 2nd income.
Both dont want to return anytime soon and are "loving it spending time with their family" and finding it "a lot easier" whilst the weather being "a great bonus too"

I'm sure if I asked or they could, they'd happily do this for another year or 2 without batting an eye lid.
There's no better excuse ( not that they're making an excuse ) than using words like unsafe, peoples health , deadly virus etc

Start putting those into reasons as why not to return and it builds up a very scary picture.

I'm past debating the pros and cons for reopening schools, it seems the issue is simply down to teachers and their reluctance to return to work.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3765 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Thu May 21, 2020 2:36 pm

Goobs wrote:

I suspect, like most, they will have had their holiday cancelled for them!

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2540 times
Has Liked: 766 times

Post by ksrclaret » Thu May 21, 2020 3:00 pm

MACCA wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:36 pm
I also know of 2, one who tutors my daughter out of hours for a 2nd income.
Both dont want to return anytime soon and are "loving it spending time with their family" and finding it "a lot easier" whilst the weather being "a great bonus too"

I'm sure if I asked or they could, they'd happily do this for another year or 2 without batting an eye lid.
There's no better excuse ( not that they're making an excuse ) than using words like unsafe, peoples health , deadly virus etc

Start putting those into reasons as why not to return and it builds up a very scary picture.

I'm past debating the pros and cons for reopening schools, it seems the issue is simply down to teachers and their reluctance to return to work.
Shocking post. I for one cannot wait to return to work, id go back tomorrow if I could, so to make such a generalised statement because 2 people you know are enjoying their time ‘off’ is totally stupid.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Thu May 21, 2020 3:02 pm

Goobs wrote:

An upgrade from a tin hat maybe required, but you've hit the nail on the head.

I'll be sending my daughter in though as she loves school, misses her friends and is due to leave for high school, so we believe she needs the closure ready to take on the next chapter of her life.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Thu May 21, 2020 3:04 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:00 pm
Shocking post. I for one cannot wait to return to work, id go back tomorrow if I could, so to make such a generalised statement because 2 people you know are enjoying their time ‘off’ is totally stupid.
Ahh you're 1 of the 5% ( someone quoted yesterday )

Thank you, you are appreciated more than you'll ever know.
You do your professional proud with an attitude like that, shame you're in the minority.

We need more of your types of teacher!

ksrclaret

Post by ksrclaret » Thu May 21, 2020 3:08 pm

MACCA wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:04 pm
Ahh you're 1 of the 5% ( someone quoted yesterday )

Thank you, you are appreciated more than you'll ever know.
You do your professional proud with an attitude like that, shame you're in the minority.

We need more of your types of teacher!
I sincerely hope I’m not in the minority, and I highly doubt that I am.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Thu May 21, 2020 3:24 pm

Northern Ireland schools could reopen to some pupils in August

As parents hold their breath for news of when UK children might be returning to school, a Northern Ireland minister says some pupils may be back in their classrooms by late August.

Education minister Peter Weir said: "Subject to medical guidance and safety, it would be my aim to see a phased reopening of schools."

He said it would begin with "limited provision for key cohort years in August, followed by a phased provision for all pupils at the beginning of September".

He added pupils could expect a "new normal reflective of social distancing and a medically safe regime", with a mix of scheduled school attendance and home learning.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Thu May 21, 2020 3:29 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:00 pm
I don’t know if you are in a minority or a majority or if it’s 50/50 but surely you can accept that not all teachers are like yourself ? In the same way I can accept not all teachers are happy to be off work.

Macca is clearly not basing the whole of the country on the 2 people he knows - he’s just saying that he knows 2 teachers who feel this way - which coincidentally is the same number as I know (and I only know 2 teachers who I have spoken to about this)

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2293 times
Has Liked: 2166 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Thu May 21, 2020 3:34 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:08 pm
I sincerely hope I’m not in the minority, and I highly doubt that I am.
You won’t be, at all!

Macca, I remember you making on a comment about lack of empathy to the self employed and yourself when the Furlough scheme came in, I hardly covered myself in glory at the time by making unsympathetic comments because I’ve a handful of mates that take the p;ss when it comes to declaring tax, something I’m still disappointed in myself for.

I know this is slightly different but don’t be like me...

ksrclaret

Post by ksrclaret » Thu May 21, 2020 3:44 pm

TVC15 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:29 pm
I don’t know if you are in a minority or a majority or if it’s 50/50 but surely you can accept that not all teachers are like yourself ? In the same way I can accept not all teachers are happy to be off work.

Macca is clearly not basing the whole of the country on the 2 people he knows - he’s just saying that he knows 2 teachers who feel this way - which coincidentally is the same number as I know (and I only know 2 teachers who I have spoken to about this)
He said a lot more than that. He said the reasons schools weren’t reopening was based on teacher and their reluctance to work. He implied that the laziness of teachers was the biggest factor.

And yes of course I accept there will be some who are taking this as an extended holiday. I’ve just said I don’t believe that’s the majority of teachers.

taio
Been Liked: 3240 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Thu May 21, 2020 3:52 pm

If schools can't open up to more children on a phased basis from June may be there is a case for the following in relation to some teachers: furloughing them until September; temporarily redeploying them into roles outside education; or cancelling their scheduled summer holiday to support provision throughout the summer.

ksrclaret

Post by ksrclaret » Thu May 21, 2020 3:55 pm

taio wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:52 pm
If schools can't open up to more children on a phased basis from June may be there is a case for the following in relation to some teachers: furloughing them until September; temporarily redeploying them into roles outside education; or cancelling their scheduled summer holiday to support provision throughout the summer.
Teachers don’t get paid during the summer holidays so no need to furlough. The pay during term time is spread over 12 months.

ClaretMov
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 822 times

Post by ClaretMov » Thu May 21, 2020 4:26 pm

Teacher's are paid a salary

Non teaching staff like a teaching assistant, site supervisors, cleaner's and office staff are usually paid pro rata

Job's advertised at say 22k a year pro rata and pro rata is based on 52 week's and 40 hrs per week but they come out with less than 22k because they only get around 46 weeks a year pay split over 12 month's and most only work between 20 and 30 hrs per week they don't get paid for the whole time they are off work like most people think.

Other workers on average get paid 52 weeks a year, like shop worker's for example they get 48 weeks paid for working and 4 weeks paid holiday making a total of 52 weeks a year paid
Last edited by ClaretMov on Thu May 21, 2020 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Goobs
Been Liked: 1462 times
Has Liked: 995 times

Post by Goobs » Thu May 21, 2020 4:39 pm

martin_p wrote:
Depends when their hols are booked for. I believe most companies are only cancelling up until about mid June at the moment which is when the schools would still normally be open and so teachers wouldn't have booked for this time.

Mine is booked for mid August and as yet has not been cancelled and I am still hopeful that it won't be.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1881 times
Has Liked: 839 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Thu May 21, 2020 4:43 pm

martin_p wrote:
They will never be more thankful for their big gardens!

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Thu May 21, 2020 4:47 pm

TVC15 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:29 pm
I know more than 2, just I've only managed to speak to those 2 as they live local so bumped into them out and about during this period.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Thu May 21, 2020 4:50 pm

Burnley1989 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:34 pm
You won’t be, at all!

Macca, I remember you making on a comment about lack of empathy to the self employed and yourself when the Furlough scheme came in, I hardly covered myself in glory at the time by making unsympathetic comments because I’ve a handful of mates that take the p;ss when it comes to declaring tax, something I’m still disappointed in myself for.

I know this is slightly different but don’t be like me...
I know,.
I like to just put things out there, I dont possibly put it out in the correct manner as I'm not blessed with the gift of the gab.

I'd just like to know the counter arguments and reasoning for certain decisions or approaches.
If for nothing else but to educate myself on what it is really like, as my points are usually option based or purely my thoughts/knowledge.

I like several options or a wider scope to which I can form my opinions.

ClaretMov

Post by ClaretMov » Thu May 21, 2020 4:54 pm

In my line of work I deal with school's for lcc and out of all the school staff I've spoken to of around 100+ two said they wanted to stay off, the rest have had enough of being at home and are desperate to go back.......including my headteacher wife, all teachers are working from home via zoom ect to children and also working shifts with key worker children and vulnerable children still going into school's.
Last edited by ClaretMov on Thu May 21, 2020 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Thu May 21, 2020 4:55 pm

I know several teachers, who in turn know many more. I've heard nothing in the past few weeks other than that they want to get back to work. The general consensus seems to be from them that it won't be 1st June, but within a week of that date.
There will always be the more militant who will do whatever the union tell them to, and a few snowflakes, but most will want to get back, it's not just a job for them.
These 2 users liked this post: ClaretMov Corky

ClaretMov

Post by ClaretMov » Thu May 21, 2020 5:02 pm

Grumps wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 4:55 pm
I know several teachers, who in turn know many more. I've heard nothing in the past few weeks other than that they want to get back to work. The general consensus seems to be from them that it won't be 1st June, but within a week of that date.
There will always be the more militant who will do whatever the union tell them to, and a few snowflakes, but most will want to get back, it's not just a job for them.
Spot on Grumps

Steve-Harpers-perm

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Thu May 21, 2020 5:08 pm

ClaretMov wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 5:02 pm
Spot on Grumps
I’ve had a meeting with my children’s school this afternoon as a parent governor and the head said every member of his staff (bar two with pre existing health conditions) are happy to be back. In my own school all our staff have said they will be back on 1st June.

Brucefanclaret
Been Liked: 206 times
Has Liked: 511 times

Post by Brucefanclaret » Thu May 21, 2020 5:34 pm

My daughter is a primary school teacher. She has been doing videos for her school, working from home and looking after her family of four children under 8. Three of those are two-year old triplets. They all live in a two-up, two-down with no garden. She says school will feel like a holiday - although she worries about getting Year 1 children to social distance!

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3148 times
Has Liked: 10236 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Thu May 21, 2020 5:41 pm

Steady on, Bruce, don't start using facts, hearsay and even more hearsay is what's needed.
Scotland are doing as they see fit, they don't have to toe Westminster's increasingly haphazard line and can afford to see what happens in England - to see if there's a second spike or not and if there is, avoid it.
The teachers I know will all be going back simply because stringent safety controls, insisted upon by the unions, have been put in place and they feel confident enough to do so.
Crikey, our heroic MPs might even have to consider going back some day at this rate.....
This user liked this post: Brucefanclaret

Brucefanclaret
Been Liked: 206 times
Has Liked: 511 times

Post by Brucefanclaret » Thu May 21, 2020 5:50 pm

MPs going back soon? Don’t be daft......😀

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Thu May 21, 2020 5:53 pm

evensteadiereddie wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 5:41 pm
Steady on, Bruce, don't start using facts, hearsay and even more hearsay is what's needed.
Scotland are doing as they see fit, they don't have to toe Westminster's increasingly haphazard line and can afford to see what happens in England - to see if there's a second spike or not and if there is, avoid it.
The teachers I know will all be going back simply because stringent safety controls, insisted upon by the unions, have been put in place and they feel confident enough to do so.
Crikey, our heroic MPs might even have to consider going back some day at this rate.....
Scotland schools break up mid June so pointless them going back
They will be back mid August, long before our schools
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Thu May 21, 2020 5:54 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:44 pm
He said a lot more than that. He said the reasons schools weren’t reopening was based on teacher and their reluctance to work. He implied that the laziness of teachers was the biggest factor.

And yes of course I accept there will be some who are taking this as an extended holiday. I’ve just said I don’t believe that’s the majority of teachers.
I agree - and I am not going down that route as I know there are lots of great dedicated teachers who want to go back.
Like all professions there are good and bad in education - and then lots in the middle. After being a governor for many years my own observation is that there are fewer teachers over this period who do the job as a vocation. I fully accept that a lot of this is down to ten years of austerity and clueless idiots like Michael Gove in charge of education strategy.
I also noticed over my time as governor around NQTs. In the early days the vast majority of NQTs I saw were joining the sector as a vocation. In more recent times because of a combination of high graduate unemployment and a shortage of teaching staff there were a number of people becoming teachers just to get a job. I know at our school we had a few NQTs who really struggled and we had to let them go.
As for the experienced teachers - again only speaking of my experience after Building Schools for the Future a number virtually gave up or did the bare minimum and were just counting the clock down to early retirement offers.

I don’t know whether my experience is typical or not but over a period of nearly 20 years I saw teaching change a lot at that school - and not in a good way.

Steve-Harpers-perm

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Thu May 21, 2020 6:02 pm

TVC15 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 5:54 pm
I agree - and I am not going down that route as I know there are lots of great dedicated teachers who want to go back.
Like all professions there are good and bad in education - and then lots in the middle. After being a governor for many years my own observation is that there are fewer teachers over this period who do the job as a vocation. I fully accept that a lot of this is down to ten years of austerity and clueless idiots like Michael Gove in charge of education strategy.
I also noticed over my time as governor around NQTs. In the early days the vast majority of NQTs I saw were joining the sector as a vocation. In more recent times because of a combination of high graduate unemployment and a shortage of teaching staff there were a number of people becoming teachers just to get a job. I know at our school we had a few NQTs who really struggled and we had to let them go.
As for the experienced teachers - again only speaking of my experience after Building Schools for the Future a number virtually gave up or did the bare minimum and were just counting the clock down to early retirement offers.

I don’t know whether my experience is typical or not but over a period of nearly 20 years I saw teaching change a lot at that school - and not in a good way.
As you say look every profession you get the good and the bad. Think it depends on the school with regards to NQT’s. On the whole we’ve been really lucky and the majority of ours (and student teachers) have been really good and gone on to have a successful career.
This user liked this post: TVC15

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Thu May 21, 2020 6:03 pm

I think your NQTs struggled, TV, because of the incredible demands made upon them. Being a teacher, especially these days, has to be a vocation, you can't, won't last a week if your heart's not in it in the classroom or you're not prepared to put in the vast amount of time necessary outside it.
Curriculum content and teaching methods designed purely to pass examinations is the only detrimental change I saw.

ksrclaret

Post by ksrclaret » Thu May 21, 2020 6:05 pm

TVC15 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 5:54 pm

I agree with a lot of what you say there. The BSF programme has done a lot of damage to the education provision in Burnley, in my opinion. It was fantastic that the money was made available to build new school buildings, but the merging of successful schools with unsuccessful schools did not achieve what it was set out to. In most cases, I believe it created one average school at best. I don't know what BSF was like on other councils but its implementation in Burnley hasn't been good. I've also come across quite a few of the teachers you describe too.

I now teach in a Sixth Form College in Yorkshire though and I can honestly say the commitment and dedication of the staff here is amazing. I love my job at the moment. I think in the last 5 years the quality of teaching across the UK has improved greatly through the integration of research which is informing teaching in the classroom to a much higher degree. I just can't believe that only a minority of teachers are interested in getting back into the classroom as has been suggested.
This user liked this post: Steve-Harpers-perm

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Thu May 21, 2020 6:11 pm

It's simply not true, ksr, that's why.
This user liked this post: ksrclaret

aggi
Been Liked: 2114 times

Post by aggi » Thu May 21, 2020 6:29 pm

I was just looking at plans for a primary school near me to go back.

The classrooms are too small for 15 in a class so they've looked to reduce that to 10 in a class. Obviously that means a minimum of 9 classrooms in a school with 7 classrooms so they're trying to work around that. They're also trying to get TAs qualified to be able to lead classes (although I have a feeling the government has waived the requirement that classes are taught by a teacher), working out toilet rotas, lunches (there won't be any school dinners), etc.

Very little of this was covered in the government's advice other than at a very broad brush level.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Thu May 21, 2020 6:52 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 6:05 pm
I agree with a lot of what you say there. The BSF programme has done a lot of damage to the education provision in Burnley, in my opinion. It was fantastic that the money was made available to build new school buildings, but the merging of successful schools with unsuccessful schools did not achieve what it was set out to. In most cases, I believe it created one average school at best. I don't know what BSF was like on other councils but its implementation in Burnley hasn't been good. I've also come across quite a few of the teachers you describe too.

I now teach in a Sixth Form College in Yorkshire though and I can honestly say the commitment and dedication of the staff here is amazing. I love my job at the moment. I think in the last 5 years the quality of teaching across the UK has improved greatly through the integration of research which is informing teaching in the classroom to a much higher degree. I just can't believe that only a minority of teachers are interested in getting back into the classroom as has been suggested.
Completely agree with you on BSF.
It was a vicious circle / downward spiral for us. But it’s one that can often happen in schools.
The mergers left many very good and experienced teachers extremely fed up and many either left immediately or just gave up waiting for a pay off. Results start to decline, poor OFSTED, more teachers leave....new headteacher and harder to attract new teachers to fill the gaps because the school does not have the reputation it used to etc.
I’m sure you have seen how this can snowball yourself. It can also work in reverse with a great head teacher and a school on the up...and they find it easy to attract better teachers etc

It’s not just BSF than can trigger this - other big events like a head teacher or a few senior management retiring or leaving can trigger this.

In terms of NQTs it is definitely a case that over the last 20 years with more and more people going to University that the knock on impact to graduate unemployment which has been at least 25% for a lot of these years (and higher) that more graduates have gone into teaching without fully knowing whether that is what they wanted to do and this leads to more of them than previously realising that it isn’t for them.
This user liked this post: ksrclaret

ksrclaret

Post by ksrclaret » Thu May 21, 2020 8:28 pm

TVC15 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 6:52 pm
Completely agree with you on BSF.
It was a vicious circle / downward spiral for us. But it’s one that can often happen in schools.
The mergers left many very good and experienced teachers extremely fed up and many either left immediately or just gave up waiting for a pay off. Results start to decline, poor OFSTED, more teachers leave....new headteacher and harder to attract new teachers to fill the gaps because the school does not have the reputation it used to etc.
I’m sure you have seen how this can snowball yourself. It can also work in reverse with a great head teacher and a school on the up...and they find it easy to attract better teachers etc

It’s not just BSF than can trigger this - other big events like a head teacher or a few senior management retiring or leaving can trigger this.

In terms of NQTs it is definitely a case that over the last 20 years with more and more people going to University that the knock on impact to graduate unemployment which has been at least 25% for a lot of these years (and higher) that more graduates have gone into teaching without fully knowing whether that is what they wanted to do and this leads to more of them than previously realising that it isn’t for them.
I know I'm going slightly off topic here, but have you heard that Thomas Whitham Sixth Form is to close its doors for the last time this summer?

Shocking state of affairs and a really poor legacy for BSF.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Thu May 21, 2020 10:14 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 8:28 pm
I know I'm going slightly off topic here, but have you heard that Thomas Whitham Sixth Form is to close its doors for the last time this summer?

Yep - we’ve played football there for many years every week. Apparently the community side of it is remaining open and there’s also a primary school there that’s not closing.
Yep massive shame - we had 2 good 6th forms and they ruined them

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3964 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Thu May 21, 2020 11:26 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 8:28 pm

Closed it's doors in March, and no "A" level exams, so that's it - so far as I'm aware.
Slightly different scenario at TWSF though because exam results were generally very good, and OFSTED reports were also very good. It was successful in many ways, but it was really pretty much doomed from the outset due to the way it was set up and its location They simply couldn't get the numbers to make it viable.

fanzone
Been Liked: 228 times
Has Liked: 65 times

Post by fanzone » Fri May 22, 2020 7:27 am

Phase 1 of return to school is manageable with the reported class sizes of 15 but in phase 2 to get all primary children back to school with a maximum class size of 15 not only do most schools need double the space to make it happen, they also need double the teachers. I'd love to see how they are going to manage that. I'm not a big fan of the teaching system as my children's primary school experience has been poor.

Of all the years my daughter did at primary school at the end of each year the teacher were leaving for another school or career. Pretty much the same for my lad at the same school until we moved him to another school then in his first year at the new school in year 4 his teacher were off with stress ( a yearly occurrence with said teacher after speaking to other parents) for over 50% of the year leaving the class to be taught by a teaching assistant. Although I must say said teaching assistant was absolutely outstanding. Onto year 5 his current year, 3 out 5 days he has different supply teachers - complete nightmare. I'm no teacher or very well educated but iv seen a vast improvement in my son's school work since working from home - possibly due to routine or a more comfortable environment.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Fri May 22, 2020 8:00 am

fanzone wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:27 am
Of all the years my daughter did at primary school at the end of each year the teacher were leaving for another school or career. Pretty much the same for my lad at the same school until we moved him to another school then in his first year at the new school in year 4 his teacher were off with stress ( a yearly occurrence with said teacher after speaking to other parents) for over 50% of the year leaving the class to be taught by a teaching assistant. Although I must say said teaching assistant was absolutely outstanding. Onto year 5 his current year, 3 out 5 days he has different supply teachers - complete nightmare. I'm no teacher or very well educated but iv seen a vast improvement in my son's school work since working from home - possibly due to routine or a more comfortable environment.
Sounds very much like my experience, my daughter is now in year 6.
Since the start of her primary school journey, there is only 1 teachers out if the original 8 when she started still there, the heads changed, and the deputy has now changed twice after a letter yesterday outlining another reshaping of staff...

Last year whilst in year 5 she had her teacher leave in the October half term, a temp brought in until Christmas and then another temp brought in after new year until she broke up. The last one was a really good teacher to be fair, but still how can they build relationships with new 3 teachers in 3 months?
Her year 4 was hampered with the teacher off with stress for at least 75% of the year and various supplies brought in usually changing every other week.
If homework were set, then it was not being marked as the teacher had moved on.
Finally onto year 6 and sat year and her teacher is on loan from another school so is only in class around 3 days from 5 due to courses, doing a deputy head secondment and having other roles within the school.

I know for absolute certainty this is not just an unlucky school period for that particular year group, as it was happening before in years above, and is happening still with years below.

on a side note, the 90% of teachers, and all assistants are females so theres always maternity leave that plays a major part in the disruption as a school year is only around 39 weeks long, so can always fall where a teacher is basically off all year.
If they happen to have decide to have other children a few years apart like most couples, in a school journey of 8 years a teacher could be off for 2, maybe even 3 of them.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Fri May 22, 2020 1:21 pm

No evidence teachers at 'increased risk' of dying

There is no evidence that teachers are at an increased risk of dying from coronavirus compared with people in other professions.

In last week’s Office of National Statistics analysis of Covid-19 deaths by occupation the death rate among male “teaching & education professionals” was 6.7 per 100,000. It was 3.3 among their female counterparts.

This compares to a rate of 9.9 and 5.2 deaths per 100,000 among working age males and females respectively.

The teaching rates do look a bit lower, but the numbers are too small to conclude that there’s a real difference there.

The ONS analysis is of deaths registered in England and Wales before 20 April.

Since it takes an average of three weeks for an infection to end in death, this describes deaths caused by infections that happened before lockdown, when schools were still open.

Puts some perspective into the risk teachers actually face,and these figures were prior to social distancing being widely undertaken.

And studies suggest children are at lower risk of contracting and therefore spreading the virus.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-52770353

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Fri May 22, 2020 3:58 pm

Coronavirus: Key evidence on opening schools revealed

This is from SAGE.https://www.bbc.com/news/health-52770355

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Fri May 22, 2020 4:07 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 3:58 pm
Coronavirus: Key evidence on opening schools revealed

This is from SAGE.https://www.bbc.com/news/health-52770355
The break down of ages makes interesting reading, and understanding why certain age groups thinking the risk is so low, its time to get back to normal sooner rather than later.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Fri May 22, 2020 4:15 pm

Grumps wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 4:07 pm
The break down of ages makes interesting reading, and understanding why certain age groups thinking the risk is so low, its time to get back to normal sooner rather than later.
It won't be normal,but yes at some point we'll have to adapt to living with this virus for the foreseeable future,and that includes schools.

The long-term impact on youngsters is a major factor to consider,any education lost now,and they could struggle in later years.

Obviously they'll have to be safeguards applied,but we've got to attempt to gain some form of normality.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2595 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Fri May 22, 2020 4:16 pm

fanzone wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:27 am
I'm no teacher or very well educated but iv seen a vast improvement in my son's school work since working from home - possibly due to routine or a more comfortable environment.
Same with my lad, he's got time to go over and over something he doesn't understand. His teachers are still working with him, setting loads of stuff to do and one even emailed us to say how impressed they were with what he's been doing which is great for him. I'm no teacher either, just don't let him mess about until 3.15.

My daughter is still Year 6 and can't wait to go back, mostly for the social aspect so she'll be going on June 1st if it sticks to the plan. The risk is negligible for her, and no worse for a teacher than any of us so can't see a problem.

Grumps

Post by Grumps » Fri May 22, 2020 4:20 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 4:15 pm
It won't be normal,but yes at some point we'll have to adapt to living with this virus for the foreseeable future,and that includes schools.

The long-term impact on youngsters is a major factor to consider,any education lost now,and they could struggle in later years.

Obviously they'll have to be safeguards applied,but we've got to attempt to gain some form of normality.
I can understand anyone under 44 thinking it's worth the risk ignoring the guidelines, and to a certain degree the next group, and that's a bloomin big chunk of the population.

jackmiggins
Been Liked: 197 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Post by jackmiggins » Fri May 22, 2020 4:20 pm

So the ‘key evidence’ is one study that has been considered by SAGE?

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 930 times

Post by CombatClaret » Fri May 22, 2020 4:25 pm

Not following the science?

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... ge-experts

Documents reveal that PM’s current plan was not among those modelled for scientists

A low-risk scenario where pupils in England would attend school on alternating weeks was presented to the government as the most likely way to gain popular support before ministers instead settled on their plan for a widespread reopening on 1 June,

Sage looked at the modelling for nine different scenarios outlined by the Department for Education, from total closure to full reopening. But none of the published scenarios included the three year groups that the government eventually chose.

dsr
Been Liked: 4571 times
Has Liked: 2263 times

Post by dsr » Fri May 22, 2020 4:32 pm

What were the nine scenarios?