Schools

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3964 times

Re: Schools

Post by nil_desperandum » Fri May 22, 2020 4:43 pm

dsr wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 4:32 pm
What were the nine scenarios?
How do you expect anyone on this board to be able to answer that?
Taken from the inked article:
"Sage looked at the modelling for nine different scenarios outlined by the Department for Education, from total closure to full reopening."

So, you'd have to contact the Dept. for Education, but obviously they must have come up with 7 potential scenarios somewhere in between the two extremes. Maybe Sage and / or the government came up with several others of their own, and finally settled on this particular one, - which doesn't seem to have particularly widespread support.

dsr
Been Liked: 4576 times
Has Liked: 2264 times

Post by dsr » Fri May 22, 2020 5:02 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 4:43 pm
How do you expect anyone on this board to be able to answer that?
Taken from the inked article:

So, you'd have to contact the Dept. for Education, but obviously they must have come up with 7 potential scenarios somewhere in between the two extremes. Maybe Sage and / or the government came up with several others of their own, and finally settled on this particular one, - which doesn't seem to have particularly widespread support.
I don't know how anyone would know - I couldn't find it - but surely anyone gleefully reporting it as if it is a big deal, must have an idea of what the scenarios were. If for example the scientists looked at returning years R,3,6, and the government went for R,1,6, it would hardly make any significant difference, would it? If (as was probably the case) at least one of the scenarios was pretty close, then the excitable "government not following the science) stuff is just baloney - in this case, at least.

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 930 times

Post by CombatClaret » Fri May 22, 2020 5:22 pm

dsr wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 4:32 pm
What were the nine scenarios?
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... sage30.pdf
options.jpg
options.jpg (519.56 KiB) Viewed 2444 times
This user liked this post: nil_desperandum

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Post by claretandy » Fri May 22, 2020 5:27 pm

We've had an email from my youngest's school, they are opening on the 15th of June.

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 930 times

Post by CombatClaret » Fri May 22, 2020 5:42 pm

Scenario 7 is likely to be the most effective strategy to make school attendance normative. If steps
are taken to synchronise attendance for families with multiple children, this may be the most
effective at enabling parents to return to work. Scenario
7b, where children alternate in and out
of school on a weekly basis, was perceived to be potentially preferable – both developmentally
and practically – for young children and working parents

Two key things the government has already failed at, providing confidence & ensuring social distance message is clear and obeyed.

• Messaging to teachers, parents, and students must be robust to enhance confidence and
willingness to return. This is especially important in respect to ‘susceptibility’.

• The scenarios for relaxing school closures must be understood in the context of interactions
taking place beyond the school. For example, social distancing guidance beyond the school will
inform the infection rate in schools.

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3964 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Fri May 22, 2020 7:01 pm

dsr wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 5:02 pm
I don't know how anyone would know - I couldn't find it - but surely anyone gleefully reporting it as if it is a big deal, must have an idea of what the scenarios were. If for example the scientists looked at returning years R,3,6, and the government went for R,1,6, it would hardly make any significant difference, would it? If (as was probably the case) at least one of the scenarios was pretty close, then the excitable "government not following the science) stuff is just baloney - in this case, at least.
As it turns out, (thanks to CombatC for linking the chart),Scenario 3 is the nearest to what has bee proposed, but it's a far more sensible and workable plan than having Reception and yr 1 in. Children of this age simply cannot be expected to social distance fully, and in many countries they don't even start school till they're 7 anyway, so much better to focus on getting years 5,6, 10 ad 12 in.

fanzone
Been Liked: 228 times
Has Liked: 65 times

Post by fanzone » Fri May 22, 2020 7:58 pm

claretandy wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 5:27 pm
We've had an email from my youngest's school, they are opening on the 15th of June.
Iv had the same regarding the date, not sure if you had a video attached but iv seen what children will be going back to and its far from what school used to be in terms of a place to prosper and learn

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sun May 24, 2020 4:48 pm

So much for all those lazy teachers that are constantly referred to on here.

Summer holidays may be cancelled, warns ex-Ofsted chief

Summer holidays may have to be cancelled for some pupils, a former Ofsted chief inspector has said.

Sir Michael Wilshaw warned that year groups about to take exams may need to make up for lost time during the summer break.

A decision on when to reopen schools is widely expected on Thursday.

The Department for Education said there were no plans to cancel holidays and a teaching union said the idea was "not realistic".

It's not a bad idea if pupils can make up for lost time then all the better,it's their futures at stake after all.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3148 times
Has Liked: 10237 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sun May 24, 2020 4:53 pm

There'll be a few Summer schools as there always are, I would imagine these would now take the form of "catch - up" sessions if required.
Teaching staff will be paid extra, one imagines, as they always have been to run these.
Teachers have been working during this crisis so any holiday time they volunteer to give up should not be for free. Having said that, I'm sure plenty will do it for nothing, that's teachers for you.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Sun May 24, 2020 5:02 pm

evensteadiereddie wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 4:53 pm
There'll be a few Summer schools as there always are, I would imagine these would now take the form of "catch - up" sessions if required.
Teaching staff will be paid extra, one imagines, as they always have been to run these.
Teachers have been working during this crisis so any holiday time they volunteer to give up will not be for free.
Yes i'm well aware teachers have continued working during this crisis,i was being sarcastic,teachers often work during the holidays anyway and quite rightly should be recompensed for their efforts.

The very fact they've carried on working paying taxes and haven't had to be covered by the furlough scheme should have saved the government money there alone,so there's absolutely no reason they can't be paid extra,surely the future of our next generation is considered important enough to finance.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

fanzone

Post by fanzone » Sun May 24, 2020 10:39 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 5:02 pm
Yes i'm well aware teachers have continued working during this crisis,i was being sarcastic,teachers often work during the holidays anyway and quite rightly should be recompensed for their efforts.

The very fact they've carried on working paying taxes and haven't had to be covered by the furlough scheme should have saved the government money there alone,so there's absolutely no reason they can't be paid extra,surely the future of our next generation is considered important enough to finance.
Who is it that usually pays the wages of teachers.

aggi
Been Liked: 2117 times

Post by aggi » Sun May 24, 2020 11:31 pm

fanzone wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:39 pm
Who is it that usually pays the wages of teachers.
Local authorities.

dsr

Post by dsr » Sun May 24, 2020 11:43 pm

tiger76 wrote:

Leaving aside the absurdity of the government saving money by paying the teachers 100% of their wage rather than 80%; I'm not at all sure that the sacrifices of the teachers are enough to get them ahead of the NHS front line staff in the share out of the spare funds in the coronavirus budget black hole.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Sun May 24, 2020 11:59 pm

dsr wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 11:43 pm
Leaving aside the absurdity of the government saving money by paying the teachers 100% of their wage rather than 80%; I'm not at all sure that the sacrifices of the teachers are enough to get them ahead of the NHS front line staff in the share out of the spare funds in the coronavirus budget black hole.
Why is it absurd if teachers are continuing to perform their roles,whether in the classroom or remotely they should be paid their normal salary,don't forget they'll pay a hefty amount of tax on those salaries,and tax revenues will be squeezed so any money that continues to come into the pot helps fund vital public services,you can bet your bottom dollar our esteemed MP'S will be receiving their full pay despite some of them working remotely,so what's the difference.

You're absolutely right there will have to be tough choices made to balance the books once all this is over,that's why every time this subject is brokered on QT or in interviews/press conferences the cabinet minister involved is careful not to commit to any definite fiscal policies.

But they'll either be increased borrowing or tax rises in this parliament,i can't see many traditional conservatives swallowing tax rises,so it's probable the black hole will be funded by borrowing,and they'll justify this by rightly pointing out interest rates are currently at a record low,and likely to remain low for some years to come.

dsr

Post by dsr » Mon May 25, 2020 12:21 am

tiger76 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 11:59 pm
Why is it absurd if teachers are continuing to perform their roles,whether in the classroom or remotely they should be paid their normal salary,don't forget they'll pay a hefty amount of tax on those salaries,and tax revenues will be squeezed so any money that continues to come into the pot helps fund vital public services,you can bet your bottom dollar our esteemed MP'S will be receiving their full pay despite some of them working remotely,so what's the difference.

You're absolutely right there will have to be tough choices made to balance the books once all this is over,that's why every time this subject is brokered on QT or in interviews/press conferences the cabinet minister involved is careful not to commit to any definite fiscal policies.

But they'll either be increased borrowing or tax rises in this parliament,i can't see many traditional conservatives swallowing tax rises,so it's probable the black hole will be funded by borrowing,and they'll justify this by rightly pointing out interest rates are currently at a record low,and likely to remain low for some years to come.
It's not absurd that they should be getting full pay. What is absurd is that your suggestion is that the government has saved money by it.

Two options. The government could have paid a teacher say £3,000 p.m. full pay, or put them on furlough £2,400 p.m. You are suggesting that they saved money by paying £3,000 p.m. That is absurd.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Mon May 25, 2020 12:28 am

dsr wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 12:21 am
It's not absurd that they should be getting full pay. What is absurd is that your suggestion is that the government has saved money by it.

Two options. The government could have paid a teacher say £3,000 p.m. full pay, or put them on furlough £2,400 p.m. You are suggesting that they saved money by paying £3,000 p.m. That is absurd.
Is the £3,000 p.m before or after tax?and aren't some teachers required to staff classes so key workers can attend their own jobs?

The latter is the reason some schools have remained open with reduced class sizes.

dsr

Post by dsr » Mon May 25, 2020 12:47 am

tiger76 wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 12:28 am
Is the £3,000 p.m before or after tax?and aren't some teachers required to staff classes so key workers can attend their own jobs?

The latter is the reason some schools have remained open with reduced class sizes.
Let's be specific. Let's assume we are talking about a teacher on £36,000 gross pay per year, which is £3,000 per month.

If that teacher gets full pay, the teacher gets £3,000 per month less tax of about £400 and NIC of about £250. Net £2,350.
If that teacher gets furloughed, the teacher gets £2,400 per months less tax of about £280 and NIC of about £170. Net £1,950.

All teachers are getting full pay, whether or not they are staffing classrooms, so that's a red herring. The point is that it would be cheaper to pay a teacher 80% of salary than it is to pay 100% of salary.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Mon May 25, 2020 12:54 am

dsr wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 12:47 am
Let's be specific. Let's assume we are talking about a teacher on £36,000 gross pay per year, which is £3,000 per month.

If that teacher gets full pay, the teacher gets £3,000 per month less tax of about £400 and NIC of about £250. Net £2,350.
If that teacher gets furloughed, the teacher gets £2,400 per months less tax of about £280 and NIC of about £170. Net £1,950.

All teachers are getting full pay, whether or not they are staffing classrooms, so that's a red herring. The point is that it would be cheaper to pay a teacher 80% of salary than it is to pay 100% of salary.
Fair enough i'm not an expert on teacher's salaries,but your figures sound about right,it'll not be an issue soon anyway as schools will be returning soon,well some will at least hopefully.

fanzone

Post by fanzone » Mon May 25, 2020 6:16 am

aggi wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 11:31 pm
Local authorities.

And where do they get that money from.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1487 times
Has Liked: 1847 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Mon May 25, 2020 7:43 am

Less and less schools are local authority ones
Many have done deal with the Devil and become academies
This user liked this post: longsidepies

ClaretMov
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 822 times

Post by ClaretMov » Mon May 25, 2020 8:18 am

Goobs wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:03 pm
If schools don't return until August then mine will not be going back until the new year starts in September as we have our holidays booked in based around the original school year.

I assume all these teachers who don't feel safe will be cancelling their holidays and are isolating throughout this period due to them not feeling safe?

It is safe to say that SOME teachers are viewing this as an extended holiday on full pay and have got used to their new lifestyle and don't want that to change before the summer holidays now.

My wife is a teacher and feels safe going out for a walk whilst social distancing, my wife feels safe going go the supermarket whilst social distancing with 0.1% chance of anyone sitting on her knee, hugging her, touching her hand ect so there is no need to be fully isolating. unlike whilst she's with 4 and 5 year old that like being tactile and don't understand social distancing that's why most teacher's don't want to go back to that environment, its a work environment like no other with all the contact.

Also before you ask about holiday's we had three holiday's booked for this year, prague at Easter, Lanzarote in August and Disney at Christmas, the Prague one was cancelled by the holiday company but we cancelled the other two because we didn't feel safe on a plane or on holiday.

ClaretMov

Post by ClaretMov » Mon May 25, 2020 8:49 am

dsr wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 12:47 am

A teacher on 36k a year (national average is 28k) pays almost £360 tax, NIC £240 Pension £240 making net pay around 2,090 and quite a few of those are also paying off their student loan.

dsr

Post by dsr » Mon May 25, 2020 9:09 am

ClaretMov wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 8:49 am
A teacher on 36k a year (national average is 28k) pays almost £360 tax, NIC £240 Pension £240 making net pay around 2,090 and quite a few of those are also paying off their student loan.
And a teacher on furlough would be paying pension contributions and student loan repayments as well. The point of the comparison was to illustrate to tiger that would be cheaper for the government to pay teachers pay furlough wages than full wages.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Mon May 25, 2020 9:24 am

Have local councils not furloughed a lot of their employees ? Eg in Burnley we know those working for Burnley Leisure have....yet the council paid them the extra 20% on top.
I know this is off topic - but might be a link into the schools....how does this work ?
The council (like schools) are given their budgets for the year based on paying all of their staff 100% for the year. Why would they be allowed to furlough staff and claim 80% from HMRC / central government when they already have the money ? They top up the wage so the employee still gets 100% (for not working) which still leaves them with most of the budget earmarked for their wages available. They have lost little in their council revenue as surely the vast majority of this is council tax revenue.

Schools on the other hand are presumably paying their teachers out of existing local authority school budgets ? If so no further drain on central gov resources which it would be if they furloughed them ?

I might be wrong on both counts !! Just asking the questions based on my understanding.
This user liked this post: ClaretMov

2 Bee Holed
Been Liked: 548 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by 2 Bee Holed » Mon May 25, 2020 9:35 am

I haven't read all this thread, but my wife who is an Early Years supply teacher keeps asking me 2 poignant questions.

1/. If it's safe to open state schools, why aren't Eaton, Harrow and Westminster schools opening on 1st June?
(doubtless many other private schools too).

2/. Why do the UK Government keep bringing up Danish schools as if that's a good comparison?
Danish children don't start school until they are 6 years old, that's Year 2 in our speak.
i.e. they don't do Nursery, Reception and Year 1, the very years we are trying to get back into schools.
Surely, that's not a good comparison? I bet they don't have kids soiling themselves anywhere near as much in Denmark.
Try changing a nappy using social distancing.

Can anyone answer these 2 questions? I don't seem able to give her a reasonable answer. :x

Oh and by the way, £36,000 p.a. ????? If only! More like the nurses on £22,000.
These 2 users liked this post: ClaretMov FactualFrank

ClaretMov

Post by ClaretMov » Mon May 25, 2020 9:55 am

TVC15 wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 9:24 am
Have local councils not furloughed a lot of their employees ? Eg in Burnley we know those working for Burnley Leisure have....yet the council paid them the extra 20% on top.
I know this is off topic - but might be a link into the schools....how does this work ?
The council (like schools) are given their budgets for the year based on paying all of their staff 100% for the year. Why would they be allowed to furlough staff and claim 80% from HMRC / central government when they already have the money ? They top up the wage so the employee still gets 100% (for not working) which still leaves them with most of the budget earmarked for their wages available. They have lost little in their council revenue as surely the vast majority of this is council tax revenue.

Schools on the other hand are presumably paying their teachers out of existing local authority school budgets ? If so no further drain on central gov resources which it would be if they furloughed them ?

I might be wrong on both counts !! Just asking the questions based on my understanding.

Absolutely spot on......great post.

ClaretMov

Post by ClaretMov » Mon May 25, 2020 10:00 am

2 Bee Holed wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 9:35 am
I haven't read all this thread, but my wife who is an Early Years supply teacher keeps asking me 2 poignant questions.

1/. If it's safe to open state schools, why aren't Eaton, Harrow and Westminster schools opening on 1st June?
(doubtless many other private schools too).

2/. Why do the UK Government keep bringing up Danish schools as if that's a good comparison?
Danish children don't start school until they are 6 years old, that's Year 2 in our speak.
i.e. they don't do Nursery, Reception and Year 1, the very years we are trying to get back into schools.
Surely, that's not a good comparison? I bet they don't have kids soiling themselves anywhere near as much in Denmark.
Try changing a nappy using social distancing.

Can anyone answer these 2 questions? I don't seem able to give her a reasonable answer. :x

Oh and by the way, £36,000 p.a. ????? If only! More like the nurses on £22,000.

A lot of ignorant people can't give you an answer, they are to busy slagging of teacher's and jealous they have to work because they can social distance in their job unlike almost all early year's STAFF.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Mon May 25, 2020 10:11 am

What has surprised me is that this week is half term and my grandkids are no getting any distance teaching/learning. Can that be true that after weeks of children not getting the hours in that they would normally get that this week nothing is happening?

mdd2

Post by mdd2 » Mon May 25, 2020 10:13 am

ClaretMov wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 10:00 am
A lot of ignorant people can't give you an answer, they are to busy slagging of teacher's and jealous they have to work because they can social distance in their job unlike almost all early year's STAFF.
I hadn't realised all in work can social distance all the time.

ClaretMov

Post by ClaretMov » Mon May 25, 2020 10:43 am

mdd2 wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 10:11 am
What has surprised me is that this week is half term and my grandkids are no getting any distance teaching/learning. Can that be true that after weeks of children not getting the hours in that they would normally get that this week nothing is happening?

My wife's school and the school my daughter is at the children are in if needed.....shock horror teacher's are working in half term and those two school's the children at home are getting work, I can only go off those two but clearly they haven't shut down leaning in half term like your grandkids (kids are goat's by the way) school.

ClaretMov

Post by ClaretMov » Mon May 25, 2020 10:44 am

mdd2 wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 10:13 am
I hadn't realised all in work can social distance all the time.

Where did I say that ?????

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1183 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Mon May 25, 2020 11:23 am

tiger76 wrote:

Teachers regardless of the hours worked need to be on performance related pay determined by ofsted, a structure scheme based upon the pupils achieving results & remunerated on reflection, some teachers do work hard & go the extra mile & really care about their jobs & should be rewarded accordingly but the crux being the pupils yielding results & passing exams & pushing on with learning, enhanced bonuses as incentives, a maths teacher should be earning more than a history teacher if more pupils are exceeding expectations in the chosen subjects.

mdd2

Post by mdd2 » Mon May 25, 2020 11:47 am

Claretmov, before correcting my use of kid which can be applied to children and is in most decent dictionaries, could you reprise, in your own time, the use of to, too and two as well as how to use an apostrophe.
Perhaps your wife can help? OK I will get my tin hat. :D :D

2 Bee Holed

Post by 2 Bee Holed » Tue May 26, 2020 11:15 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 11:23 am
Teachers regardless of the hours worked need to be on performance related pay determined by ofsted, a structure scheme based upon the pupils achieving results & remunerated on reflection, some teachers do work hard & go the extra mile & really care about their jobs & should be rewarded accordingly but the crux being the pupils yielding results & passing exams & pushing on with learning, enhanced bonuses as incentives, a maths teacher should be earning more than a history teacher if more pupils are exceeding expectations in the chosen subjects.
Teachers are performance related pay.
Each year 3 targets are set.
Indeed, once you progress through MPS1 to MPS6, there is a very rigorous assessment before being placed on
the pay scales UPS1 to UPS3. There are then even more stringent targets.
But then I assume you already knew all this Jakubclaret?
These 2 users liked this post: ClaretMov evensteadiereddie

ClaretMov

Post by ClaretMov » Tue May 26, 2020 11:42 am

2 Bee Holed wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 11:15 am
Indeed, once you progress through MPS1 to MPS6, there is a very rigorous assessment before being placed on
I wouldn't bother 2 Bee Holed some people haven't a bloody clue but they think they do

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Tue May 26, 2020 1:22 pm

Pupil infected day after Sydney schools return

A high school student in Sydney has tested positive for the virus just one day after all students returned to the classroom.

Authorities said the boy's school, Waverley College, in the city's beach suburbs, was evacuated this morning.

The case highlights the risks of schools resuming normal lessons, which is happening this week across most of the country. In Victoria, pupils went back full-time today.

Australia has recorded a near flat virus curve for the past five weeks, with only single digit daily case increases in the past week.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Tue May 26, 2020 1:36 pm

2 Bee Holed wrote:
Quick check of the “drive by shooting” thread will give you a good idea as to how much Jakubclaret knows about anything !

2 Bee Holed

Post by 2 Bee Holed » Tue May 26, 2020 3:29 pm

TVC15 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 1:36 pm
Quick check of the “drive by shooting” thread will give you a good idea as to how much Jakubclaret knows about anything !
Thanks lads. I had no idea I was wasting my time trying to educate one of those.
You see he does have a point. However, the fact teachers have had bonus/target related pay for the past 20 years may have simply eluded him.
Do you think these people had a bad time at school? Or wasted the only thing they get for nothing off the state? Or both?
Mind you if they can read and type posts on here......do you think that they haven't realised yet that that is in fact down to teachers?

dsr

Post by dsr » Tue May 26, 2020 3:31 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 1:22 pm
Pupil infected day after Sydney schools return

A high school student in Sydney has tested positive for the virus just one day after all students returned to the classroom.

Authorities said the boy's school, Waverley College, in the city's beach suburbs, was evacuated this morning.

The case highlights the risks of schools resuming normal lessons, which is happening this week across most of the country. In Victoria, pupils went back full-time today.

Australia has recorded a near flat virus curve for the past five weeks, with only single digit daily case increases in the past week.
The risks will be highlighted more by the number of children infected by him. If he tested positive today, I doubt he caught it yesterday.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Tue May 26, 2020 3:47 pm

dsr wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 3:31 pm
The risks will be highlighted more by the number of children infected by him. If he tested positive today, I doubt he caught it yesterday.
No i wasn't suggesting he had and the fact that the testing is picking up these cases is the important factor,that's what will hopefully halt the community spread.

Seems a bit drastic to evacuate the whole school for one positive case,but if the student concerned has had contact with others,i guess they're being safe rather than sorry.

It's inevitable that once English schools return they'll be similar instances here,the key is catching them early and isolating any individuals before they can spread the infection.

dsr

Post by dsr » Tue May 26, 2020 4:19 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 3:47 pm
No i wasn't suggesting he had and the fact that the testing is picking up these cases is the important factor,that's what will hopefully halt the community spread.

Seems a bit drastic to evacuate the whole school for one positive case,but if the student concerned has had contact with others,i guess they're being safe rather than sorry.

It's inevitable that once English schools return they'll be similar instances here,the key is catching them early and isolating any individuals before they can spread the infection.
Looking on the bright side, the rugby starts again this week. Brisbane Broncos v Parramatta Eels, first, 10.30 Thursday morning.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Tue May 26, 2020 6:29 pm

2 Bee Holed wrote:
Not without sacrificing some of the entitlements there was previously entitled to such as length of service ect, yes it's true something as been given in 1 hand but also removed from the other hand.
https://isbl.org.uk/resource/factsheets ... d-pay.aspx

ClaretMov

Post by ClaretMov » Tue May 26, 2020 7:45 pm

This is getting boring now ZZZZZZzzzzzzz

Please close the topic admin

fanzone

Post by fanzone » Tue May 26, 2020 9:05 pm

Logged on to my son's portal today and were quite shocked to find no work being set for him. Half term or not he hasn't had full days work set for him for the last 9 weeks. Some form of work should be compulsory every day until schools are fully functioning again.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Tue May 26, 2020 10:45 pm

TVC15 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 1:36 pm
I still believe in what I suggested on that particular thread I just couldn't be bothered responding going around in circles, it's futile when opinions won't change from either side, I'd already meticulously researched about this particular subject before commenting, performance related pay doesn't benefit when weighing up the subtractions from the existing contract pre amendment/adjustments. You gain a £1 you lose a £1 the end result is still the same.

burnmark
Been Liked: 602 times
Has Liked: 477 times

Post by burnmark » Wed May 27, 2020 7:27 pm

Big development tonight in that Lancashire County Council have now advised schools to not extend their openings from July 1st.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/n ... -open-yet/

dsr

Post by dsr » Wed May 27, 2020 11:08 pm

burnmark wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 7:27 pm
Big development tonight in that Lancashire County Council have now advised schools to not extend their openings from July 1st.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/n ... -open-yet/
Quote from Dr. Karunathini, the doctor whose knowledge outweighs that of the government - ""There has been no evidence of education outcomes worsening due to the effects of government lockdown policy."

That's a pretty scathing indictment of schools in Lancashire - if there is no evidence of education outcomes worsening. It implies that schools are literally no more than baby sitting services and the teaching that goes on there is negligible. Is he actually saying that so far as he is aware no child is any worse off by missing a whole term's schooling? Or is he just saying there is no evidence of that, perhaps because they haven't looked for any?

Considering what teachers and educationalists have always said about the dangers of missing even a day or two's schooling, the suggestion now that missing a whole term makes no difference at all is a big issue.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Wed May 27, 2020 11:43 pm

dsr wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 11:08 pm
Quote from Dr. Karunathini, the doctor whose knowledge outweighs that of the government - ""There has been no evidence of education outcomes worsening due to the effects of government lockdown policy."

That's a pretty scathing indictment of schools in Lancashire - if there is no evidence of education outcomes worsening. It implies that schools are literally no more than baby sitting services and the teaching that goes on there is negligible. Is he actually saying that so far as he is aware no child is any worse off by missing a whole term's schooling? Or is he just saying there is no evidence of that, perhaps because they haven't looked for any?

Considering what teachers and educationalists have always said about the dangers of missing even a day or two's schooling, the suggestion now that missing a whole term makes no difference at all is a big issue.
Why does his knowledge outweigh that of the government ?

Sage have already said they believe this will impact educational outcomes for years and the renowned and reputable Sutton Trust have also said something similar. As for evidence they point to previous disasters in other parts of the world and how prolonged school closures were proven to have had serious long term impacts

Pretty logical really - kids have missed months of learning. Very little is being done remotely in most schools - an hour or 2 a day in many schools and limited interaction etc. Not sure why you would think there is any credibility in what Dr Karunathini has said - it seems a ridiculous statement to be making and I don’t know of anybody in education who would agree with it.

dsr

Post by dsr » Wed May 27, 2020 11:47 pm

TVC15 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 11:43 pm
Why does his knowledge outweigh that of the government ?

Sage have already said they believe this will impact educational outcomes for years and the renowned and reputable Sutton Trust have also said something similar. As for evidence they point to previous disasters in other parts of the world and how preloaded school closures were proven to have had serious long term impacts

Pretty logical really - kids have missed months of learning. Very little is being done remotely in most schools - an hour or 2 a day at most in many and limited interaction etc. Not sure why you would think there is any credibility in what Dr Karunathini has said - it seems a ridiculous statement to be making and I don’t know of anybody in education who would agree with it.
His knowledge outweighs the government because he has the apparent power to override the government rules (quite a fashionable, but controversial, subject at present) and is confident enough to use it.

I wouldn't expect many teachers to agree with his statement either. Which begs the question, why has someone with so little knowledge of education been given the power to make this decision?

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Thu May 28, 2020 12:12 am

dsr wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 11:47 pm
His knowledge outweighs the government because he has the apparent power to override the government rules (quite a fashionable, but controversial, subject at present) and is confident enough to use it.

I wouldn't expect many teachers to agree with his statement either. Which begs the question, why has someone with so little knowledge of education been given the power to make this decision?
Maybe you should look up the definition of the words knowledge and power and you will discover that they are 2 very different things.

As for your last question who knows ? It’s the role that has the power - and sometimes people get put in roles for reasons that are not that obvious. It certainly does not mean that they are the most knowledgeable and even when they are it does not mean they are always right.

Are you saying that you agree with him because you assume because he is in this role he has to be correct ? What about those in similar roles in the other education authorities who disagree with him ?
Surely you can make your own mind up on this ?

Do you think that missing several months of school will not impact on educational outcomes for the children impacted ?
If the answer is yes you do tell us why (and try and do better than say it’s because Dr Karunathini has said so)