Schools

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
claret2018
Been Liked: 810 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Re: Schools

Post by claret2018 » Thu May 28, 2020 1:27 am

I think I had Dr Karunathini’s Brain Training on the Nintendo DS

Winstonswhite
Been Liked: 608 times
Has Liked: 310 times

Post by Winstonswhite » Thu May 28, 2020 7:26 am

burnmark wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 7:27 pm
Big development tonight in that Lancashire County Council have now advised schools to not extend their openings from July 1st.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/n ... -open-yet/
June 1st! ie Monday

burnmark
Been Liked: 602 times
Has Liked: 477 times

Post by burnmark » Thu May 28, 2020 7:38 am

Winstonswhite wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 7:26 am
June 1st! ie Monday
Apologies. Not sure why I put July!!!

dsr
Been Liked: 4576 times
Has Liked: 2264 times

Post by dsr » Thu May 28, 2020 10:16 am

TVC15 wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 12:12 am
Maybe you should look up the definition of the words knowledge and power and you will discover that they are 2 very different things.

As for your last question who knows ? It’s the role that has the power - and sometimes people get put in roles for reasons that are not that obvious. It certainly does not mean that they are the most knowledgeable and even when they are it does not mean they are always right.

Are you saying that you agree with him because you assume because he is in this role he has to be correct ? What about those in similar roles in the other education authorities who disagree with him ?
Surely you can make your own mind up on this ?

Do you think that missing several months of school will not impact on educational outcomes for the children impacted ?
If the answer is yes you do tell us why (and try and do better than say it’s because Dr Karunathini has said so)
To put it simply:

1. His views that this missing term makes no difference are rubbish.
2. He believes that he knows more the government. If he didn't believe that, he wouldn't overrule the government. Again, I think he's talking rubbish.
3. Considering all the stick a certain other person got for believing he knows more than the government and making his own decisions, this bloke is getting a soft ride.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3765 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Thu May 28, 2020 10:22 am

dsr wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 11:47 pm
His knowledge outweighs the government because he has the apparent power to override the government rules (quite a fashionable, but controversial, subject at present) and is confident enough to use it.

I wouldn't expect many teachers to agree with his statement either. Which begs the question, why has someone with so little knowledge of education been given the power to make this decision?
Why has he overridden government rules. He’s applied the government’s five tests and found the local situation to be short of meeting two of them. Isn’t that applying the government rules?

dsr

Post by dsr » Thu May 28, 2020 10:26 am

martin_p wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 10:22 am
Why has he overridden government rules. He’s applied the government’s five tests and found the local situation to be short of meeting two of them. Isn’t that applying the government rules?
Maybe I haven't followed the situation closely enough. I thought that the government said schools would return on 1st June as a specific policy. Did they only said that schools may return on 1st June but it's the Local Authority decision?

I know coronavirus policy has been devolved to Scotland and Wales, but surely not to Lancashire?

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3148 times
Has Liked: 10237 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Thu May 28, 2020 10:34 am

I think, given the government's present levels of incompetence and worrying lack of support, the last thing they'd do is apply strongarm tactics to try and bully Lancashire into opening its schools.
If the five rules haven't been met then the county would be reckless to risk stoking the infection rate. Even the government would see that anybody - especially a parent looking out for the welfare of their child :lol: would simply keep their kids at home and even more trust or support would disappear.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Thu May 28, 2020 12:55 pm

dsr wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 10:26 am
Maybe I haven't followed the situation closely enough. I thought that the government said schools would return on 1st June as a specific policy. Did they only said that schools may return on 1st June but it's the Local Authority decision?

I know coronavirus policy has been devolved to Scotland and Wales, but surely not to Lancashire?
Local Authorities have a statutory responsibility for the health of children in schools so it’s down to them whether schools open or not if there is a health risk. Plus the government has removed the legal requirement for children to go to school At the moment anyway, so they can’t force anyone to do anything at the moment. The legal requirement is unlikely to be reinstated until the new school year.

aggi
Been Liked: 2117 times

Post by aggi » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:23 pm

I heard on the grapevine that at my local school quite a few of the kids who went back in are saying they don't want to carry on going. It seems that they're not enjoying the socially distanced schooling.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:32 pm

They've been got at by the lazy good for nothing union leaders aggi

fanzone
Been Liked: 228 times
Has Liked: 65 times

Post by fanzone » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:54 pm

aggi wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:23 pm
I heard on the grapevine that at my local school quite a few of the kids who went back in are saying they don't want to carry on going. It seems that they're not enjoying the socially distanced schooling.

Not surprised. Iv seen the video of what my son's school is going to be like. Extremely dull and not a place to learn and prosper under the rules that will be in place.

taio
Been Liked: 3240 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:59 pm

martin_p wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 12:55 pm
Local Authorities have a statutory responsibility for the health of children in schools so it’s down to them whether schools open or not if there is a health risk. Plus the government has removed the legal requirement for children to go to school At the moment anyway, so they can’t force anyone to do anything at the moment. The legal requirement is unlikely to be reinstated until the new school year.
In Lancashire the county council advised against opening on 1 June but the decision was for the individual schools to take.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2540 times
Has Liked: 766 times

Post by ksrclaret » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:28 pm

aggi wrote:
I can well believe it. I'm hearing that the novelty of being back has soon worn off and the reality of socially distant learning is proving to be more difficult than online distance learning. Until the past few days I'd never have thought that would be the case.

I dread to think what it will look like come September.

dsr

Post by dsr » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:33 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:28 pm
I can well believe it. I'm hearing that the novelty of being back has soon worn off and the reality of socially distant learning is proving to be more difficult than online distance learning. Until the past few days I'd never have thought that would be the case.

I dread to think what it will look like come September.
It'll be fine by September.

Until the first child coughs, and then it's everybody out, put the masks back on, see you next year.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:34 pm

aggi wrote:
This is what worries me about my son going back. He’s in year 1 and loves school, but part of that is being close to his friends. I just think going back now into a strange environment where he isn’t allowed to do the things he’s used to doing at school might put him off school full stop.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3148 times
Has Liked: 10237 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:36 pm

Social distancing, if still applicable by September, will be down to one metre - if that - and any perceived threat of infection being passed on will have completely disappeared.
Well, according to the government anyway.

ksrclaret

Post by ksrclaret » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:39 pm

dsr wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:33 pm
It'll be fine by September.

Until the first child coughs, and then it's everybody out, put the masks back on, see you next year.
I highly doubt it will be fine by September. Well, not unless 10 Downing St and the cabinet is completely overhauled.

Good job we've all got huge gardens though. We could easily fit a socially distant assembly in there.

taio
Been Liked: 3240 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:41 pm

evensteadiereddie wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:36 pm
Social distancing, if still applicable by then, will be down to one metre and any perceived threat of infection being passed on will have completely disappeared.
You're probably right about the first part but definitely not the second - the government and the scientists advising them will be clear it's about balancing risks because there are few easy answers prior to a vaccine. Some people will be against taking risks of increasing infection rates, whereas other people will be against not getting society moving at sufficient pace.

ksrclaret

Post by ksrclaret » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:47 pm

evensteadiereddie wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:36 pm
Social distancing, if still applicable by September, will be down to one metre - if that - and any perceived threat of infection being passed on will have completely disappeared.
Taking it down to 1 metre would certainly help, if it doesn't compromise safety in an unacceptable way. Education could really start to suffer if we don't find the correct balance by September.

A colleague of mine told me the other day that the DfE has acknowledged social distancing wouldn't be enforceable in schools long term but I can't find any such guidance. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens over the summer. I don't trust these jokers one single bit though so I'm not hopeful.

dsr

Post by dsr » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:54 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:39 pm
I highly doubt it will be fine by September. Well, not unless 10 Downing St and the cabinet is completely overhauled.

Good job we've all got huge gardens though. We could easily fit a socially distant assembly in there.
It'll have to be fine. It's bad enough taking children out of school for a single term, but it's untenable to think that children will have to wait until there's a vaccine before they get back to school. It could be years.

Teachers can wear hazmat suits if they feel themselves to be in danger, but if coronavirus is still whizzing round the country in September, we're going to have to bite the bullet and carry on regardless. Not just the key workers like nurses and food producers; not just the less key workers like manufacturers and bank staf;; even the teachers will have to go back.

dsr

Post by dsr » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:55 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:47 pm
Taking it down to 1 metre would certainly help, if it doesn't compromise safety in an unacceptable way. Education could really start to suffer if we don't find the correct balance by September.

A colleague of mine told me the other day that the DfE has acknowledged social distancing wouldn't be enforceable in schools long term but I can't find any such guidance. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens over the summer. I don't trust these jokers one single bit though so I'm not hopeful.
Education is already suffering. A child suffers from losing just a couple of days at the end of term - so missing out from the end of March until who-knows-when but it won't be before September - that will be even worse than a couple days, surely?

ksrclaret

Post by ksrclaret » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:59 pm

dsr wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:54 pm
It'll have to be fine. It's bad enough taking children out of school for a single term, but it's untenable to think that children will have to wait until there's a vaccine before they get back to school. It could be years.

Teachers can wear hazmat suits if they feel themselves to be in danger, but if coronavirus is still whizzing round the country in September, we're going to have to bite the bullet and carry on regardless. Not just the key workers like nurses and food producers; not just the less key workers like manufacturers and bank staf;; even the teachers will have to go back.
Your tone whenever you talk about this subject is always discourteous towards teaching. I do wonder why.

But I would tend to fully agree with you, I think we have to get back to normal because education can't tolerate such levels of absence from the classroom. A lot of industries have realised online working is just as/ more effective than office-based working. For education, I think we've all worked out it's crippling. Sadly it's not up to me though, we're in the hands of some real incompetency.

dsr

Post by dsr » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:05 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:59 pm
Your tone whenever you talk about this subject is always discourteous towards teaching. I do wonder why.

But I would tend to fully agree with you, I think we have to get back to normal because education can't tolerate such levels of absence from the classroom. A lot of industries have realised online working is just as/ more effective than office-based working. For education, I think we've all worked out it's crippling. Sadly it's not up to me though, we're in the hands of some real incompetency.
Because of the rhetoric of the teachers' trade unions. They appear to be determined that teachers won't go back to work until life is as safe as it was before coronavirus existed.

Teachers are key workers. Or they ought to be. But the efforts of the unions on one side and the education authorities on the other tend to make a shambles of everything they are trying to do. I would abolish the education authorities except as a much slimmed down watchdog, and make all schools independent (but still state funded), and let the teachers do the teaching without all the interference. (And abolish 98% of the form filling.)

I do not mean to be discourteous towards teaching. But rather like the shambles of the administration of the NHS, it's the supposed organisers of the whole thing who are letting down the people doing the actual work.

ksrclaret

Post by ksrclaret » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:18 pm

dsr wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:05 pm
Because of the rhetoric of the teachers' trade unions. They appear to be determined that teachers won't go back to work until life is as safe as it was before coronavirus existed.

Teachers are key workers. Or they ought to be. But the efforts of the unions on one side and the education authorities on the other tend to make a shambles of everything they are trying to do. I would abolish the education authorities except as a much slimmed down watchdog, and make all schools independent (but still state funded), and let the teachers do the teaching without all the interference. (And abolish 98% of the form filling.)

I do not mean to be discourteous towards teaching. But rather like the shambles of the administration of the NHS, it's the supposed organisers of the whole thing who are letting down the people doing the actual work.
I've not been a fan of the union's response either. I believe we should be doing everything in our power to get kids back in the classroom. But the unions are there to safeguard the welfare of teachers so it's not surprising they've raised such concerns. I happen to think they've been too obstinate but I can certainly understand why they've taken the position having watching how badly the government have cocked up at almost every turn since this began. There's no trust there.

It's also the government who are imposing the 2 metre guidance when schools open. Teaching occurs in a relatively small space and the logistics of working around this will prove to be hugely detrimental. Possibly more so than having everyone working online from home, if early anecdotal evidence is anything to go on. You can't blame the unions for that.

I pray that some sort of solution is found by September because I'd love nothing more than to feel fully effective in my role again. I'm not holding my breath though.

aggi

Post by aggi » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:19 pm

dsr wrote:

That's probably why the majority have still been going into school.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2531 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:25 pm

Only a few months into this administration and the levels of incompetency on display.are quite disturbing. Chancers and opportunists already out of their depth but slavishly following a man of questionable integrity, honesty and decency doesn't bode well for our future and that of the younger generations.

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:38 pm

dsr wrote:

The school where I’m a parent Governor is attempting to reopen for the middle of the month. I don’t know how 1st June was arrived at, because the governments science advisors appear to be against it. The school has received very little in the way of information from the government, and no expert help in drawing up a risk assessment. You’d think all of this would be ready when the 1st June was announced as a reopening date. The government has not led on this. They make announcements, and just expect everything to happen.

tybfc
Been Liked: 1304 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by tybfc » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:54 am

AndrewJB wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:38 pm
The school where I’m a parent Governor is attempting to reopen for the middle of the month. I don’t know how 1st June was arrived at, because the governments science advisors appear to be against it. The school has received very little in the way of information from the government, and no expert help in drawing up a risk assessment. You’d think all of this would be ready when the 1st June was announced as a reopening date. The government has not led on this. They make announcements, and just expect everything to happen.
It's not just schools that this is the case for though is it?

I have been shielding since day one and was taken aback on Saturday when the Govt announced that the rules were being relaxed from Monday. I had a phone call due yesterday with my consultant so I asked her advice. She told me under no circumstances to leave the house, even to meet a family member until she rang me in the coming weeks or months. She said to ignore anything I watched or heard from the Govt as it was ill advised and not medically recommended. She said as far as the medical profession are concerned nothing has changed with regard to shielded people.

Anyway back to the subject of schools.

I have a 14 year old with learning difficulties who attends a specialist school and will be starting some GCSE work in September in the hope of passing one or two. I have been home schooling him since March 23rd and obviously we both went into it with much trepidation having never done it other than a week or two years ago when he was ill.

During the first couple of weeks he complained each day that he was missing his friends at school and also his teachers. Many of the children in his school are autistic so the school day is very structured. And so I was faced with work being sent to him from school via three different computerised platforms, two of which he had never used at school, no friends, no teachers, no structure and me being stuck at home unable to leave the house.

So the first day I gave him the day off and I sat behind my laptop and tried to work out how the information flow between 'them and us' worked.

Day two we talked about a structure and what lessons he did when at school and what time he started, finished, had breaks and lunch etc.

Day three saw day two go out of the window when he said "Dad. When I have finished my breakfast in a morning can I start my school work what ever time it is and have a break when I have had enough and then start again. When I feel like I have done enough for the day if you agree I can stop?"

On March 23rd he had around 50 pieces of outstanding work with due dates starting on 27th March and running weekly and being added to daily. During his school time he had been missing due dates constantly.

So we did a deal that I look at every piece of work that is sent to him. He completes it and asks for help / advice if he is struggling with anything. He does not submit it back to school until I have checked it and made sure it is ok. In return he can start work after his breakfast, usually around 8am, when he is at most awake and his brightest. He works through the day having breaks whenever he feels that he needs them.

Since mid May he has been at a stage some days where he has had no work to do. I have emailed school a couple of times and asked for more and he actually spoke to his form teacher and told him that he needed more work so we are not sat here with nothing to do.

Since being at home he has not missed one due date and is getting some brilliant responses from all apart from one of his teachers and he is absolutely thriving on the positivity.

We were watching the news last night and it showed a classroom where the desks were taped off from each other and the playground where the kids were not allowed to play with each other.

I asked him if he still missed his school, his friends and his teachers and he said that he had not realised that school would look like that when he goes back and wouldn't look much fun any more.

I feel desperate for the teachers who have to put up with this same Government that I have to put up with and at least I only have to listen to Matt Hancock lie about my health but they have had the misfortune of having the likes of Gove and now Williamson treat them like the four year olds that they are teaching.

All I would say is that talking to the parents that I have is that the teachers have nigh on 100% of the country's support (less the odd numpty on here) and I have certainly had my eyes opened by their openness and willingness to go that extra mile for our kids.

It's made us try harder and come up with something for one teacher who emailed this reply today which was lovely

"Wow 😮 you have come up with some great ideas!
This would lend itself to be an excellent cross curricula project - linking in with English (report writing) and science.
I will add this to Google classroom as an activity for all - a few other students may fancy having a go"
These 11 users liked this post: AndrewJB TVC15 claretonthecoast1882 fatboy47 martin_p Claret Till I Die Silkyskills1 ksrclaret FactualFrank nil_desperandum bfcjg

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:30 am

TY - that really is a brilliant post.
This user liked this post: nil_desperandum

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4186 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:34 am

Good work ty

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2320 times
Has Liked: 2696 times

Post by fatboy47 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:48 am

thats the kind of post that makes the board worthwhile ty.

Silkyskills1

Post by Silkyskills1 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:37 am

Top post Ty. As I've said already, chancers and opportunists gambling with lives.
These 2 users liked this post: ksrclaret nil_desperandum

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3079 times
Has Liked: 5044 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:00 am

evensteadiereddie wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 10:34 am
I think, given the government's present levels of incompetence and worrying lack of support, the last thing they'd do is apply strongarm tactics to try and bully Lancashire into opening its schools.
If the five rules haven't been met then the county would be reckless to risk stoking the infection rate. Even the government would see that anybody - especially a parent looking out for the welfare of their child :lol: would simply keep their kids at home and even more trust or support would disappear.
There's no reason why reopening the schools will stoke the infection rate, IF they follow the guidelines. It's always down to following the guidelines and when they aren't then trouble follows. I understand we are in a pandemic, and we have to show common sense, but the panic some people display is sad. You can't protect your neighbour or your friends, you can only protect yourself and your own. You make sure you, and they, follow the rules. Abide by local distancing, where a mask or gloves when necessary. IF everybody follows these rules nobody has to worry, not you, not your neighbours, not your friends.
I still think the government got it wrong here, despite all the bleating. There are comparatively few people at risk from Corona Virus. Instead of closing the country down we should have put special measures in place to protect those comparatively few. It would have been a lot cheaper, a lot easier to Police, and we wouldn't have had these massive disruptions to our daily lives and the economy. The disruption to children's education is the saddest of all, you don't get a do over when you're a child.
This user liked this post: dsr

aggi

Post by aggi » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:06 am

It is looking like the schools were correct to have doubts about the "world beating" track and trace system that was due to be fully operational by 1 June and being touted as one of the reasons why it would be safe to start the schools up again.

A lot of stories suggesting that it is performing poorly with the people running it not expecting it to be fully operational for a good few months yet.

ksrclaret

Post by ksrclaret » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:09 am

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:00 am
There's no reason why reopening the schools will stoke the infection rate, IF they follow the guidelines. It's always down to following the guidelines and when they aren't then trouble follows. I understand we are in a pandemic, and we have to show common sense, but the panic some people display is sad. You can't protect your neighbour or your friends, you can only protect yourself and your own. You make sure you, and they, follow the rules. Abide by local distancing, where a mask or gloves when necessary. IF everybody follows these rules nobody has to worry, not you, not your neighbours, not your friends.
I still think the government got it wrong here, despite all the bleating. There are comparatively few people at risk from Corona Virus. Instead of closing the country down we should have put special measures in place to protect those comparatively few. It would have been a lot cheaper, a lot easier to Police, and we wouldn't have had these massive disruptions to our daily lives and the economy. The disruption to children's education is the saddest of all, you don't get a do over when you're a child.
I share your concerns about the education of children. It is a very sad situation.

However, it’s all well and good saying go back to school and follow social distancing, but the realities and practicalities of that will have a negative impact on the quality of education too. I think we need to go a step further and reduce social distancing down to a maximum of 1 metre, or abolish it altogether inside the classroom. Will that affect transmission of the virus? Probably. Will it increase to an unacceptable level? Who knows. We’ve got to try something though because we can’t carry on like this into the next academic year as I’ve seen suggested by a BBC report today.
This user liked this post: Colburn_Claret

aggi

Post by aggi » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:15 am

Colburn_Claret wrote:
But you're not going to get reception and year one classes doing this. Getting a 4 year old to wear a mask and gloves and abide by social distancing is a hiding to nothing.

Bringing back year 6, maybe year 5, makes sense. The other years less so
These 2 users liked this post: BurningBeard nil_desperandum

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:32 am

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Is it ‘common sense’ to expect four and five year old children to follow guidelines?
This user liked this post: BurningBeard

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:45 pm

Great post tybfc and fair play in how you've dealt with it and helped him catch up and, what sounds like, even get ahead.

Colburn_Claret

Post by Colburn_Claret » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:19 pm

aggi wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:15 am
But you're not going to get reception and year one classes doing this. Getting a 4 year old to wear a mask and gloves and abide by social distancing is a hiding to nothing.

Bringing back year 6, maybe year 5, makes sense. The other years less so
I'm sorry, I didn't make myself clear. The mask and gloves are for the rest of us. As ksr said, I would return schools to normal, no social distancing. There are enough barriers and precautions that can be taken within schools to allow this. Schools can be made a controlled environment, so that vulnerable children, teachers with vulnerable children or relatives at home, need not attend. The rest of them need to get back to normal education a.s.a.p. for all their sakes.

Colburn_Claret

Post by Colburn_Claret » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:21 pm

martin_p wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:32 am
Is it ‘common sense’ to expect four and five year old children to follow guidelines?
As I said to Aggi, that was in reference to the rest of us in our daily lives. I don't think it's necessary for children to wear masks, especially in the controlled environment of the classroom.

Silkyskills1

Post by Silkyskills1 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:42 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:19 pm
I'm sorry, I didn't make myself clear. The mask and gloves are for the rest of us. As ksr said, I would return schools to normal, no social distancing. There are enough barriers and precautions that can be taken within schools to allow this. Schools can be made a controlled environment, so that vulnerable children, teachers with vulnerable children or relatives at home, need not attend. The rest of them need to get back to normal education a.s.a.p. for all their sakes.
It just isn't practical ' to get back to normal education' currently or in the foreseeable future. What happens with the people that take them to school, wait to pick them up again at the end of the day? How is that sorted out with social distancing? Where do they wait? There can be nothing ' normal' in an abnormal situation. Good to hear Hancock being prepared to 're-double his efforts' in the future. Very re-assuring.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2596 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:47 pm

Our daughter's been back all week, and absolutely loved it. Kids adapt quickly, and she's been fine with the new rules etc. I do feel it's going to be causing huge damage to more vulnerable or struggling pupils being away from education for this long.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

Colburn_Claret

Post by Colburn_Claret » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:38 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:42 pm
It just isn't practical ' to get back to normal education' currently or in the foreseeable future. What happens with the people that take them to school, wait to pick them up again at the end of the day? How is that sorted out with social distancing? Where do they wait? There can be nothing ' normal' in an abnormal situation. Good to hear Hancock being prepared to 're-double his efforts' in the future. Very re-assuring.
They are the ones that should be wearing masks and gloves. Nobody at high risk, or who comes into contact with people at high risk, should be picking the kids up from schools anyway. There is no need to protect every single person in the country, just protect those at risk.

There are lots of complaints about the government, little jibes like 're-double his efforts', but this is our responsibility as much as the governments. They make the guidelines, we need to abide by them. The number of people using the Tube in London, who don't bother wearing masks. The idiots at Durdle Door, Southend, even Richmond Falls one of our local beauty spots have been inundated by morons, not listening to the Government. IF, and it's a big IF, it all goes tits up, is it really the governments fault. I've said many times on lots of different topics, we all have a responsibility. Responsibility to our families, our friends, our neighbours, our employers, our society, our country. Too many people in this country, from all spectrums of society, think rules only apply to others, not themselves. They want the fun, the benefits, but they don't want the responsibility.

The government are also in an impossible situation in pleasing the country. Half the country want to stay locked up for ever, it seems, the other half, me included, want to get things back to normal. How can they possibly satisfy everybody. They can't, and whatever they do the media are going to play it up big style with whichever half of the country the government upset.

They are in a no win situation, until we see how we come out of this. Hindsight will tell us what sort of a job the government have done, but there are too many sharks in the Press and on the Telly dying to suck the life blood out of every single tiny piece of negativity. They want the government to fail, it's sad but bloody true, they want the government to fail. They want people to die, above all they want the economy to tank. They have still, as many on this board haven't, got over Brexit. They are determined that Brexit fails, and if Corona Virus can scupper the economy it will be a God send, because you can be sure the media won't be blaming the Corona Virus for the failing economy, they'll be blaming Boris and Brexit. THAT is my personal opinion. I haven't read it anywhere, I haven't read any newspaper for over 3 months, and apart from the Corona Virus updates at 5 o'clock I've stopped watching the News. We should all be in this together, pulling together, helping each other, and I know many people on this board have done their bit to help vulnerable people around them. But in a time when we should be pulling together, the Media have created this Them and Us mentality, as if the Government is the enemy. You don't have to buy into it, you can trust the government and follow the guidelines, or believe the Media and act like frightened rabbits.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1883 times
Has Liked: 840 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:52 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:38 pm
They are the ones that should be wearing masks and gloves. Nobody at high risk, or who comes into contact with people at high risk, should be picking the kids up from schools anyway. There is no need to protect every single person in the country, just protect those at risk.

There are lots of complaints about the government, little jibes like 're-double his efforts', but this is our responsibility as much as the governments. They make the guidelines, we need to abide by them. The number of people using the Tube in London, who don't bother wearing masks. The idiots at Durdle Door, Southend, even Richmond Falls one of our local beauty spots have been inundated by morons, not listening to the Government. IF, and it's a big IF, it all goes tits up, is it really the governments fault. I've said many times on lots of different topics, we all have a responsibility. Responsibility to our families, our friends, our neighbours, our employers, our society, our country. Too many people in this country, from all spectrums of society, think rules only apply to others, not themselves. They want the fun, the benefits, but they don't want the responsibility.

The government are also in an impossible situation in pleasing the country. Half the country want to stay locked up for ever, it seems, the other half, me included, want to get things back to normal. How can they possibly satisfy everybody. They can't, and whatever they do the media are going to play it up big style with whichever half of the country the government upset.

They are in a no win situation, until we see how we come out of this. Hindsight will tell us what sort of a job the government have done, but there are too many sharks in the Press and on the Telly dying to suck the life blood out of every single tiny piece of negativity. They want the government to fail, it's sad but bloody true, they want the government to fail. They want people to die, above all they want the economy to tank. They have still, as many on this board haven't, got over Brexit. They are determined that Brexit fails, and if Corona Virus can scupper the economy it will be a God send, because you can be sure the media won't be blaming the Corona Virus for the failing economy, they'll be blaming Boris and Brexit. THAT is my personal opinion. I haven't read it anywhere, I haven't read any newspaper for over 3 months, and apart from the Corona Virus updates at 5 o'clock I've stopped watching the News. We should all be in this together, pulling together, helping each other, and I know many people on this board have done their bit to help vulnerable people around them. But in a time when we should be pulling together, the Media have created this Them and Us mentality, as if the Government is the enemy. You don't have to buy into it, you can trust the government and follow the guidelines, or believe the Media and act like frightened rabbits.
Trusting the government working out well for lots of people I suppose.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:55 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:38 pm

On the evidence of the last few years what basis is there for trusting/having faith in this government? They've stumbled from one disaster to another, all the time lying and trying to spin the facts to hide their failures.

fanzone

Post by fanzone » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:12 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:55 pm
On the evidence of the last few years what basis is there for trusting/having faith in this government? They've stumbled from one disaster to another, all the time lying and trying to spin the facts to hide their failures.

All while picking up and sorting the sh1te Blair and Brown left behind

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:37 pm

fanzone wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:12 pm
All while picking up and sorting the sh1te Blair and Brown left behind
What ever you think of Blair and Brown attaching blame to them ten years after they’ve gone is very week. Cameron and Osbourne were suppose to have had the deficit sorted five years ago.

fanzone

Post by fanzone » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:47 pm

The Tories have done that **** of a job they are paying 6 million wages currently, what happened when the last financial crisis hit?

They may only be delaying the inevitable for alot of people but at least they have been given a fighting chance under this government

Silkyskills1

Post by Silkyskills1 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:38 pm

Please don't suggest that responsibility for 40,000 deaths lays at the door of the general public. Also, it appears that north west England (and south west England) are at a critical.'r' with the distinct possibility of further lockdown in those areas. There appears to be no 'low risk' people in these parts currently. But, let's move on with Boris' ' top team'.

Colburn_Claret

Post by Colburn_Claret » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:49 pm

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:52 pm
Trusting the government working out well for lots of people I suppose.
I could be pedantic and heartless and say its working out for the 80 million who haven't died from Corona Virus, thats right 80 million. I feel for anyone who's lost a loved one or friend, and if they or someone they know is in a vulnerable group, keep taking the precautions, but the fact is apart from the disruption to our daily lives, this pandemic has had little to no effect on our lives.
They say a quarter of a million have been infected, that leaves almost 80 million again that haven't.
How many of quarter million have been asymptotic, no signs of anything, how many have had very minor ailments.
Of the poor souls who have lost their lives, what proportion had underlying health issues as a major contributing factor.
Only 2 children in the whole of the United Kingdom. We lose more children every year to traffic accidents but we haven't banned the car yet.
Yes we need to follow the guidelines, but there is nothing to be frightened of in getting the country back to work and the children back to school. Stop listening to the doom and gloom peddlers and focus on the facts, 6 months in and almost 80 million people havent been infected.